Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:29:24 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 [202] 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 ... 486 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [BBR] Boolberry: Privacy and Security - Guaranteed Since 2014  (Read 1210694 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 08:56:49 AM

• (1) Keep the name - people have complained it's too childish to invest in (be interested to see how many of these start investing/ supporting after name change, or whether it was a convenient excuse).
  • (2) Pick new name themselves - people would complain about not being consulted.
  • (3) Vote (from shortlist) - people complaining about lack of choice.
  • (4) Vote (no shortlist) - people would complain about lack of direction and leadership.

(5) Vote (from shortlist with option of no change)

No change is a very obvious choice to consider and it is equally obvious that many community participants hold that view (I don't). I have no idea how widely held that view is, but if you exclude it from the vote you don't either.

The best case here is to allow "no change" as a voting option and have it lose.
damashup

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 09:36:21 AM

• (1) Keep the name - people have complained it's too childish to invest in (be interested to see how many of these start investing/ supporting after name change, or whether it was a convenient excuse).
  • (2) Pick new name themselves - people would complain about not being consulted.
  • (4) Vote (no shortlist) - people would complain about lack of direction and leadership.

No change is a very obvious choice to consider and it is equally obvious that many community participants hold that view (I don't). I have no idea how widely held that view is, but if you exclude it from the vote you don't either.

It's a vote on a re-brand. It seems to me, that the decision has been already taken to move away from BBR.

People can argue on the merits of a rebrand or whether the other options are better than the existing blah blah blah... I've got not problem with that. My view is it's academic.

However to suggest there is something 'manipulative' or 'phony' about this re-branding or the voting exercise is OTT. The dev team can, quite legitimately, rule out the status quo as a rebranding option particularly if they're looking for fresh impetuous and not to go over old ground/ arguments.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 09:40:05 AM

It's a vote on a re-brand. It seems to me, that the decision has been already taken to move away from BBR.

People can argue on the merits of a rebrand or whether the other options are better than the existing blah blah blah... I've got not problem with that. My view is it's academic.

However to suggest there is something 'manipulative' or 'phony' about this re-branding or the voting exercise is OTT. The dev team can, quite legitimately, rule out the status quo as a rebranding option particularly if they're looking for fresh impetuous and not to go over old ground/ arguments.

They can do whatever the hell they want, as I said.

But they will take a hit in the community if they suppress the ability to even vote for the apparently widely-held view that the current name should be kept. In fact this hit is already being taken. I didn't even comment at all until others complained about it.

If they have a good case for a rebrand, then convince people and the old name loses the vote anyway.

Otherwise, they will do what they do, and I will point out that their vote is manipulative and top-down driven (just as are Beijing's voting rules in Hong Kong -- do you think they would pull that if they thought their favored candidates would win in a fair election?).

You don't have to agree, but that is my view.
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 09:45:44 AM

I'm not really a "member of the community" although I've mined some and I hold a little, but I agree with the sentiment that a sincere community vote should include the option to retain the name. Otherwise you are making use of the "whoever controls the vote controls the results" principle and the vote is a sham.

I think couple of monero shills have expressed this deep desire to keep the name Boolberry and their posts are not being deleted if they are sincere on the voting thread. Only darlidada/nekamoto sockpuppets are being deleted for being consistently repugnant. I am guessing this is why there is no poll option on the thread.

For the record, I full expected you to come here and show the support to keep the name BBR. Just very predictable mate.

Eh, I don't really support it. I've suggested in the past that it be changed. I just think if there is a vote "no change" should be an option. That's all. I'm not even sure there should be a vote (maybe just a poll), but if there is a vote, don't do a sham vote with one obvious option conspicuously missing.

Thanks for your concern Smooth Wink
windjc
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 09:48:52 AM

BBR devs seem to have no problem disrespecting the BBR community by not even having an option to keep the name Boolberry.
+1
Silent partner here, sitting on a considerable stash of BBR. The unilateral decision making here is appalling. CZ, listen to your community and set up a real vote, please!

Ponder this for a sec: Boolberry works well because it googles perfectly. Page after page of references to the coin, and nothing else. It doesn't even get autocorrected to Boo Berry. When newbies hear about 'Vortex' it's gonna be no fun finding that needle in the haystack of information on vortices.

How about Ripple, Stellar, or Quark?  The do not google well but are in top 20.
BTW: You do not seem to be a silent partner for DRK.   
Yes, I'm a silent partner for many cryptos, and cannot follow them everyday. I dedicate some time to DRK's testnet because DRK is serious coin. I invest in competent developers, not the brand. Honeypenny and Boolbery have never been strong names, but I know innovation when I see it.

I will continue to support BBR regardless of the name, but I have to break silence when I see the community being coerced unfairly into new branding. I had to point out the search engine angle. Choose a bad name and it will be another uphill battle to get the recognition deserved here.

SEO of any of the 3 names will not be an issue.
windjc
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 10:00:30 AM

BBR devs seem to have no problem disrespecting the BBR community by not even having an option to keep the name Boolberry.
+1
Silent partner here, sitting on a considerable stash of BBR. The unilateral decision making here is appalling. CZ, listen to your community and set up a real vote, please!

Ponder this for a sec: Boolberry works well because it googles perfectly. Page after page of references to the coin, and nothing else. It doesn't even get autocorrected to Boo Berry. When newbies hear about 'Vortex' it's gonna be no fun finding that needle in the haystack of information on vortices.

How about Ripple, Stellar, or Quark?  The do not google well but are in top 20.
BTW: You do not seem to be a silent partner for DRK.   
Yes, I'm a silent partner for many cryptos, and cannot follow them everyday. I dedicate some time to DRK's testnet because DRK is serious coin. I invest in competent developers, not the brand. Honeypenny and Boolbery have never been strong names, but I know innovation when I see it.

I will continue to support BBR regardless of the name, but I have to break silence when I see the community being coerced unfairly into new branding. I had to point out the search engine angle. Choose a bad name and it will be another uphill battle to get the recognition deserved here.

HinnomTX - I love your passion. This is exactly what we need more of on this community. I'd love to get you involved in giving direct input on the direction of BBR and the community. As a group we may have disagreements, but we all want this technology to thrive.

Please PM me so we can start a dialogue. There are a lot of exciting marketing and development milestones coming down the pipeline and your input would be helpful.

Jon
windjc
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 10:04:46 AM

I'm not really a "member of the community" although I've mined some and I hold a little, but I agree with the sentiment that a sincere community vote should include the option to retain the name. Otherwise you are making use of the "whoever controls the vote controls the results" principle and the vote is a sham.

No one controls the vote. You can vote if you wish. But the vote is not on the choice of a rebrand. It's on the name of the rebrand.
windjc
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 10:08:25 AM

We have a VERY clear direction moving forward. The rebranding is the first step in that direction.

Its great that you were a fan of BoolBerry, but the name was been ridiculed in english-first language regions since its inception. The conotations of both "bool" and "berry" are cartoonish in english-first language regions. 

Although "bool" has a meaningful technological aspect the pronounciation of it, especially when couple with "berry" left it sounding, to be quite honest, silly.

Although it might not seem fair, having a name that is brandable in English, first and foremost, is a very important consideration.

First i want the best for Boolberry and if the re-branding will help, then i will advocate it.
By my self i like the name Boolberry, but i´m not a English-first language speaker.

How i understand you would the re-branding have only a positive effect to the english-first language regions. What do you assume how big the effect will be, and will be it worth to re-brand it for this?
Do you estimate that it will be a bigger potential first-english language user base as non-english-first language user base ?

Absolutely yes. The name Boolberry is a very difficult brand to market to English first language communities.  BBR has never really been marketed anywhere. The new brand will allow an extensive marketing campaign to begin.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 10:20:19 AM
Last edit: September 18, 2014, 10:30:30 AM by smooth

It is hard to discern sarcasm online so perhaps you are being sincere (though I doubt it).

Presumably you think that because I'm involved with another coin that I'm not expressing a genuine belief. That would be a mistake. Not only because it isn't true, but because others obviously hold the same belief. So disregard my views if you like, but in doing so you are disregarding the same view held by many others with no such disqualifying (in your view) affiliation.

You obviously think including a "no change" opinion in your vote would cause the vote to produce an outcome you don't like. I'm not so sure that is true, but it is unfortunate you don't get the community the chance to support what you want to do.

Imagine how much nicer it would be have the vote produce a clear result in support of the rebrand, thereby rallying the entire community behind you. You can't have that if you don't allow the "no change" option.
windjc
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 10:21:52 AM

Your obvious concern trolling is transparent. The only reason you are here right now to try to divide our community.

The only thing lacking in the rebrand vote process is the education of why the rebrand is important. There are many important reasons why a rebrand is occurring, some obvious and some maybe not as obvious.

So myself and others have the responsibility of getting the information out to anyone who questions the decision that people with a lot more time energy and resources than I have made to rebrand.

Of course it is only natural to get accustomed to a name and want to keep it. However that is a decision that lives a bit in a vacuum. And it's not necessarily an opinion that's held with the full understanding of the challenges keeping the old name creates for the community moving forward.

One day soon there will be no more of these discussions between Monero and the new BBR as if the two coins are somehow intertwined. Soon this community will stand on its own seperate from you and your Monero colleagues.

The rebrand is just one small step in the new direction this coin and technology is taking to introduce itself to the world.

You would be best advised to focus on development of Monero. The future is getting ready to become much more interesting. Wish you the best of luck. You do good work.
windjc
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 10:23:43 AM

It is hard to discern sarcasm online so perhaps you are being sincere (though I doubt it).

Presumably you think that because I'm involved with another coin that I'm not expressing a genuine belief. That would be a mistake. Not only because it isn't true, but because others obviously hold the same belief. So disregard my views if you like, but in doing so you are disregarding the same view held by many others with no such disqualifying affiliation.

You obviously think including a "no change" opinion in your vote would cause the vote to produce an outcome you don't like. I'm not so sure that is true, but it is unfortunate you don't get the community the chance to support what you want to do.

Imagine how much nicer it would be have the vote produce a clear result in support of the rebrand, thereby rallying the entire community behind you. You can't have that if you don't allow the "no change" option.

You have made your opinions known. There is no more reason for you to state them again and again. We know where you, as a Monero dev, stand on this issue.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 10:23:49 AM

Your obvious concern trolling is transparent. The only reason you are here right now to try to divide our community.

Nice try, but no. You are obviously ignorant of my participation on this thread that goes way back before I was even involved with any other coin.

Your attempt to dismiss the substance of my opinion by attacking my motive is both ineffective and incorrect (the former mostly because of the latter, but not entirely).

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 10:28:49 AM

You have made your opinions known. There is no more reason for you to state them again and again. We know where you, as a Monero dev, stand on this issue.

Sorry, wrong again. In case it wasn't clear, I've been expressing a personal opinion, something I've done before I was involved with any coin, something I will do after, and something I do now. At times my views are diametrically opposed to those of others involved with that other coin. Frankly I have no idea how they feel about any BBR rebrand, and I speak for no one but myself.

I frequently participate in a variety of discussions independent of my affiliation with any coin, as an individual, and that will continue.

If you don't like my personal opinions, you will have a choice to ignore them or respond to them. Attempting to characterize them as the action of some other coin won't work.

drawingthemoon

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 11:36:00 AM

Nice try, but no. You are obviously ignorant of my participation on this thread that goes way back before I was even involved with any other coin.

Your attempt to dismiss the substance of my opinion by attacking my motive is both ineffective and incorrect (the former mostly because of the latter, but not entirely).

I still don't get your point. Those who want the name to remain same have voted so. Why so serious?

Can you point me to any posts where you got into arguments with Monero shills in the Monero thread making fun of the name Boolberry and have tried to defend the name?

Am I spamming? Report me!
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 11:38:28 AM

I still don't get your point. Those who want the name to remain same have voted so. Why so serious?

Where did they vote? On the official vote thread, it is stated that votes to keep the name the same will be deleted (and people have complained that their votes were indeed deleted).

Can you point me to any posts where you got into arguments with Monero shills in the Monero thread making fun of the name Boolberry and have tried to defend the name?

I said before that I don't like the name so why would I argue with people about it. I think in the discussion here a LONG time ago I spoke in favor of changing it, but I'm not sure.
drawingthemoon

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 11:56:08 AM

Where did they vote? On the official vote thread, it is stated that votes to keep the name the same will be deleted (and people have complained that their votes were indeed deleted).

I said before that I don't like the name so why would I argue with people about it. I think in the discussion here a LONG time ago I spoke in favor of changing it, but I'm not sure.

"People" have expressed it in their posts and they will be considered. Poll will be exploited by sockpuppets as we can see a sockpuppet was posting again and again deliberately calling it "blueberry" and other forms of mockery. Those that have expressed their affinity for keeping the name same have posted so and those are not being deleted. I recommend you post there the same way and move on.

Personally I detect fear in your posts. I considered you one of the Top 3 smart people in Monero. You made a mistake with concern trolling and displaying fear out in the open. The fear will be exploited down the road.

Am I spamming? Report me!
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 11:57:52 AM

Poll will be exploited by sockpuppets

Can't disagree with you there.

Personally I detect fear in your posts. I considered you one of the Top 3 smart people in Monero. You made a mistake with concern trolling and displaying fear out in the open. The fear will be exploited down the road.

Whatever you want to misinterpret or mischaracterize is up to you. I can't control that.
AdamWhite

Activity: 605
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 12:00:43 PM

windjc yeah anyone offering a reasonable opinion, which is shared by many others in the bbr community, must have some ulterior motive because xmr. you're the only one that mentions xmr in the last few pages, while still managing to ignore people that want to see a fair poll

you should get back to the "official rebranding thread" i'm sure there are a few more posts there for you to delete
AdamWhite

Activity: 605
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 12:09:09 PM

Personally I detect fear in your posts. I considered you one of the Top 3 people in Monero. You made a mistake with concern trolling and displaying fear out in the open. The fear will be exploited down the road.

People tend to see in others what exists in themselves.. such as your obvious fear the name boolberry wont be taken seriously. the technology stands on its own.. why should you care if someone mocks the name? every successful coin name has been mocked
Bitcrea

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

Bitcrea.com

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 12:15:14 PM

Guys, all we want to do is evolve and progress. This re-branding is not because we think it is fun to do it, but because we are sure that it will help us to progress. I do understand that Boolberry already grew on some of you, but we need to look further and wider.

My vote went for the name "Rune" and I did it because it has a hint to technology and it is inspiring. It doesn't mean that we're positioning the brand with mythology, although it does mean that we're seeing a new, reincarnated and evolved today's meaning of "Rune".

The majority of the community seems to be supporting "Rune" as well. Not to mention that it is way more easily memorable to new users.
Pages: « 1 ... 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 [202] 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 ... 486 »
  Print  

Jump to: