Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:06:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 [903] 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667061 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 11:08:29 AM

I thought you would be able to use the seed words to re-create the wallet using simplewallet, Am I wrong?

That is the plan but there are some bugs that needed to be fixed to actually do that; the current simplewallet build isn't quite up to the task. Some of them are fixed in github and some are waiting to be merged.

However, as long as you have your seed words recorded, in the event of a sudden failure of the site, you can be sure the fixes would be pushed through (even someone other than the core devs could do it) and you would indeed be able to recover your coins.

The current issue with the site will be resolved shortly so no reason to go into emergency recovery mode just yet.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 11:14:53 AM

HI,Everybody,pls help me
My xmr wallet can not sync.I get the following errors:

014-Dec-14 21:20:37.969435 [P2P7]Failed to connect to any of seed peers, continuing without seeds
014-Dec-14 21:21:37.093539 [P2P7]Failed to connect to any of seed peers, continuing without seeds
014-Dec-14 21:22:36.077242 [P2P7]Failed to connect to any of seed peers, continuing without seeds
014-Dec-14 21:23:34.982946 [P2P9]Failed to connect to any of seed peers, continuing without seeds
014-Dec-14 21:24:34.107049 [P2P7]Failed to connect to any of seed peers, continuing without seeds
014-Dec-14 21:25:33.231153 [P2P7]Failed to connect to any of seed peers, continuing without seeds

Which version are you using?

Dear smotth,I use the latest versio 0.8.8.8.6 from OP

We'll have to figure out what's gone wrong with the built-in seed nodes, but for now you can use one of these options on the command line:

Code:
bitmonerod --seed-node 198.74.231.92:18080
bitmonerod --seed-node 182.92.68.201:18080
bitmonerod --seed-node 37.187.75.56:18080

You will only need to do that once, after that your p2pstate file will have everything it needs to connect to the network.

jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1103

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 11:30:48 AM

Nice work, jwinterm. Good-looking and functional GUI wallet.
 Cool
I will get around to trying the new GUI soon.

Can you please elaborate on what the version cutoff is for a "deprecated" wallet? (My apologies if it is in the readme or something)

To be honest, I'm not sure, but I think it is basically if you created a wallet in April or May. The current workaround for deprecated wallets is to use v0.8.8.4 to import the keys file and update the wallet, then you can use it in v0.8.8.5/6, but it will be fixed in the next simplewallet release. I'm pretty sure if you have an electrum seed for your wallet, then it's not deprecated.

My compliments on your work. To be clear, this still takes a lot of your RAM or doesn't it?

EDIT: I had to much beers, if I am reading the text correct it shouldn't eat up your RAM. If I can give you some advice, I would make the "tabs" horizontal instead of vertical, bit hard to read now (could be the alcohol, but still Tongue). Another point, if you create a new wallet the seed will be stored in a plain text file without encryption. I would advise to make some kind of announcement everytime you create a new wallet to encrypt to file or to make it a default thing to encrypt the textfile with the seed.

Thanks dEBRUYNE. I will try out the tabs horizontal and see how they look. There is (should be) a message that pops up everytime you create a wallet though, saying this info.txt file has your seed and you should delete or encrypt it. Maybe I should change the name of that file to "DELETE OR ENCRYPT THIS FILE IMMEDIATELY.txt" Tongue
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 11:33:16 AM

Cool

Can you please elaborate on what the version cutoff is for a "deprecated" wallet? (My apologies if it is in the readme or something)

To be honest, I'm not sure, but I think it is basically if you created a wallet in April or May. The current workaround for deprecated wallets is to use v0.8.8.4 to import the keys file and update the wallet, then you can use it in v0.8.8.5/6, but it will be fixed in the next simplewallet release. I'm pretty sure if you have an electrum seed for your wallet, then it's not deprecated.

My compliments on your work. To be clear, this still takes a lot of your RAM or doesn't it?

EDIT: I had to much beers, if I am reading the text correct it shouldn't eat up your RAM. If I can give you some advice, I would make the "tabs" horizontal instead of vertical, bit hard to read now (could be the alcohol, but still Tongue). Another point, if you create a new wallet the seed will be stored in a plain text file without encryption. I would advise to make some kind of announcement everytime you create a new wallet to encrypt to file or to make it a default thing to encrypt the textfile with the seed.

Thanks dEBRUYNE. I will try out the tabs horizontal and see how they look. There is (should be) a message that pops up everytime you create a wallet though, saying this info.txt file has your seed and you should delete or encrypt it. Maybe I should change the name of that file to "DELETE OR ENCRYPT THIS FILE IMMEDIATELY.txt" Tongue

If you delete it, it is a good idea to use a "secure erase" or "shred" type utility. Otherwise the contents may stick around in file system free space. Less of an issue for SSDs, depending on OS and other factors.

jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1103

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 11:36:03 AM

If you delete it, it is a good idea to use a "secure erase" or "shred" type utility. Otherwise the contents may stick around in file system free space. Less of an issue for SSDs, depending on OS and other factors.

Good point, smooth. I will definitely add that into the popup that comes up after you create a new wallet.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 12:19:20 PM

Cool

Maybe an idea to let users decide for themselves to use horizontal or vertical (If it's possible, just make a box where users can tick for horizontal/vertical).

I think I missed that then, will check later today. It was late yesterday though, so there is a chance I just missed it Tongue

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 01:15:11 PM

Crossposting for info:

BCN price is easier to keep propped up, because it is doubtful that more than 5% of the supply has ever been in the hands of the public (others than the BCN team).

XMR is more subject to market forces, since the number of people holding more than 1% of the XMR is rather large, and any one of them may decide to call it quits and dump. Similarly the existing, or new, people can buy. Trying to either suppress or pump the price in this environment are losing propositions.

Smartest thing I've heard you say in a month. Welcome back. Wink

Exactly Smiley

Anyway, I have been really busy lately, whatever has come out of the discussion to change the mining rate of Monero?

Nothing has been decided yet AFAIK. I think it's hard to find a consensus on such a thing, so it will probably not be changed.

PS: This is just my personal opinion.

The MEW executives, the largest voteholders, and the core team members, have been searching for a concensus for quite a long time now. Since such has not been reached, there is no realistic alternative to leaving the emission just as it is now. This is also enjoying the greatest support of all alternatives, so we can safely say that it is the best choice as well.

&

Exactly Smiley

Anyway, I have been really busy lately, whatever has come out of the discussion to change the mining rate of Monero?

Its not going to happen.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2014, 01:29:14 PM

And now 4 giga fucking byte is considered short...
Valid point, but I'd just say that at 4 GB you are pretty close to a critical point where even a small increase would have a disproportionately large benefit.
This was more a general consideration about loss of efficiency in computer at large, loss itself encouraged by ever-increasing hardware, ever-diminishing time-to-release and dare I say less proficient coders (which on the plus side lowers the barrier to entry). Granted, this also allows long filename and ubiquitous use of Unicode, but still... Wirth's law.

* David Latapie remembers working on a 486DX
DX and SX for with and without internal maths co processor if I remember
Yes, the x87.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
Youghoor

Activity: 1036
Merit: 275

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 01:51:15 PM

Good point, smooth. I will definitely add that into the popup that comes up after you create a new wallet.

yes it will be more specific function.
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2014, 02:07:19 PM

We updated the OP to clarify that the "tail emission" (minimum subsidy after the ~18.4 millions are mined) is less than 1% per year (not "weekly", "monthly"...).

[2] Actual number of atomic units is M = 264 - 1. A minimum subsidy may be implemented in the future with <1% annual inflation to preserve mining incentives.

It had always been clear in our mind, but we got feedback that that was not the case for anyone. The danger of assumption Smiley

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 03:34:29 PM

486/DX 33 4 megs of ram and a whopping 130 meg HD was my first PC.

Those were the times! Smiley

PestoQuinty

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 04:10:37 PM

Did u guys ever tried to solder RAM modules together, multiply total amount? Smiley
Those were the times indeed...

486/DX 33 4 megs of ram and a whopping 130 meg HD was my first PC.

Those were the times! Smiley

netmonk

Activity: 219
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2014, 04:49:06 PM

I'd like to announce the first alpha release of my unofficial lightweight GUI simplewallet wrapper, lightWallet. Using this program, you don't need to run the bitmonerod daemon on your own computer or do anything on the command line. By default it uses hegemoOn's (a long time Monero supporter) open node, although you can change it to use a different node (Atrides recently announced another one, for instance), or you can set it up to use a local daemon.

The release binary ( https://github.com/jwinterm/lightWallet/releases/download/v0.0.1-alpha/lightWallet.exe ) is a single file that has simplewallet.exe wrapped up inside of it, so you do still still need a 64 bit machine. Please check out the README.md file here as well:
https://github.com/jwinterm/lightWallet

I'm still working on the tx history part, and I'd like to add an address book, but since simplewallet itself doesn't really have either one of these features, I figured I'd go ahead and release it, since we have (at least) two open nodes to choose from now Smiley

The program should work to create new wallets or import non-deprecated wallets from their keys file (wallets with an electrum seed). There is an issue with simplewallet itself that prevents importing deprecated wallets at the moment, but this should be fixed in the next simplewallet release. The created/imported wallets will be stored in your My Documents folder in the lightWallet folder.

Here are a couple screenshots of the first two tabs:

Let me know what you think. I hope some people find it useful.

Superb Jwinterm and peoples don't forget the donate button for jwinterm and hegemoOn Smiley
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 05:09:29 PM

Nice GUI wallet.  Good job.  Things are starting to happen Smiley !!

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4872

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 05:15:44 PM

Yup and the 386sx was 16bit instead of 32. 486dx/sx caused alot of confusion at the time. Wink

Did u guys ever tried to solder RAM modules together, multiply total amount? Smiley
Those were the times indeed...

hell yeah, I used to upgrade PC-jr boards to XT. I still remember you needed to add the u226 chip for the extra mem controller. Cheesy

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
5w00p

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 08:23:43 PM
Last edit: December 14, 2014, 08:37:23 PM by 5w00p

I'm pretty sure that most of these scam ICOs, if not all of them, involve the scammers running their own BTC through the ICO and ending up with both the BTC and the coin. So a disguised premine, with some extra BTC (but a much smaller unknowable amount) from idiots as a bonus.
I confirm from acquaintances: ICO are faked.

On a particular machine, sure. For example, if you are swapping lot, that will indeed happen on lot faster on a SSD, so it will speed up, but the underlying cause of the bigger slow down is the lack of RAM. People were talking about many minutes to an hour for a save. That is not pushing the limits of any HDD sequential speed, at all.
Old machine: Mintbox, 4Gb, 5400 RPM HDD, 4Gb. More than one hour
New machine: Laptop, 4Gb, SSD. A dozen minute top.

See bolded above. SSD helps a lot if you are already short of RAM (which at 4 GB, you are). Bump up the RAM on there and a dozen minutes will be down to a minute or two (more or less regardless of drive).

I like you smooth, and I love that you are a XMR dev, but I will give 2 XMR just to see you admit that you were incorrect, for once.

You are (unsuccessfully) arguing that the write speed of a drive is irrelevant to the time required to write a file to a drive.  Huh

I think you need to learn what fsync does and whether or not there is one in the daemon.

But this is off topic for the thread, so let's stop now.

Whatevs you say, Boss.

You still haven't made a point, however. You are proabaly a good dancer, because you dance around a point like a friggin' ballerina. Every time someone makes a point that contradicts your lackluster effort to attribute everything except a drive's write speed to being relevant to the time required to write a file to a drive, you dodge left, dodge right, jump up, squat down, whatever it takes.

Don't worry, I will open a new thread (and link to it here) with results on installing a SSD in a machine and the change in time required to write the blockchain to said SSD, in comparison to writing to a magnetic HDD, all other factors being unchanged.

It's called science.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2014, 08:35:44 PM

Hi all - MyMonero is back up. The emergency maintenance was a situation out of our control, but as you correctly surmised there is nothing we could do to steal funds (we never know or control your spend key).

With regards to future functionality, allowing an import of short-key style wallets into simplewallet, that is definitely something MyMonero will work on and then submit to the Monero Project as a pull request.

Arux

Activity: 500
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 09:02:50 PM

Hi all - MyMonero is back up. The emergency maintenance was a situation out of our control, but as you correctly surmised there is nothing we could do to steal funds (we never know or control your spend key).

With regards to future functionality, allowing an import of short-key style wallets into simplewallet, that is definitely something MyMonero will work on and then submit to the Monero Project as a pull request.

i missed you mymonero  Grin

thanks fluffypony!

Quicken

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 09:53:29 PM

Nice GUI wallet.  Good job.  Things are starting to happen Smiley !!

I haven't had a chance to check out the lightweight wallet, but it sounds like another great recent development, to put alongside MoneroClub, and Mymonero.

It certainly feels like Monero is building momentum.  Smiley
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2014, 10:02:11 PM
Last edit: December 14, 2014, 10:23:49 PM by smooth

Don't worry, I will open a new thread (and link to it here) with results on installing a SSD in a machine and the change in time required to write the blockchain to said SSD, in comparison to writing to a magnetic HDD, all other factors being unchanged.

It's called science.

If you are testing Monero on actual configurations go ahead and post it here. To see the effect I'm describing -- where disk speed stops mattering to a large extent if you have enough RAM (and eventually, at all) -- you will have to include a range of RAM sizes from 4-8 GB and perhaps somewhat higher, on Linux.
Pages: « 1 ... 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 [903] 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: