Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:42:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 [888] 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667061 times)
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 04:55:54 PM

This Re-doubles my faith in Monero.

https://download.wpsoftware.net/bitcoin/wizardry/brs-arbitrary-output-sizes.txt

Unless I have read this incorrectly it is a simple addition to Cryptonote coins?

Not, not really, and whether or not it's a security improvement is questionable as it adds a new level of associative data to transactions (outputs are exponentially more likely to be smaller mixed in inputs than larger ones). At best you reduce bloat by a constant while introducing a property whose application to forensics is unknown.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4872

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 05:51:53 PM

Unless I have read this incorrectly it is a simple addition to Cryptonote coins?

Not, not really, and whether or not it's a security improvement is questionable as it adds a new level of associative data to transactions (outputs are exponentially more likely to be smaller mixed in inputs than larger ones). At best you reduce bloat by a constant while introducing a property whose application to forensics is unknown.

Is there a rebute to this "possible" security issue that this purports to address. And when you say no you did not mean it would not be an "easy" integration?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2014, 06:22:10 PM

Just to spread the good news... even though its not big news, its big to me.

I successfully have accumulated 1 XMR by mining with my own Xeon 771-775 sticker-hacked ebay-built rigs on monerohash... after having learned enough linux (or copy and pasting code into terminals... can't tell you how many times I've killed a program by ctrl-c'ing in a damn terminal... btw, thank you all you nice linux people for putting terminal code on the interwebs so I can just copy-paste.. or copy-shift-insert, as the case may be).

and then to see it pop up on my wallet as my client was catching up to the network.

very satisfying. Yay. My very first self-mined cryptocurrency.

now if I could only snipe some 750 ti's.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2014, 06:25:07 PM

This was my first mined crypto too Smiley It's a fulfilling feeling
juve4v

Activity: 505
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 06:30:47 PM

I successfully have accumulated 1 XMR by mining with my own Xeon 771-775 sticker-hacked ebay-built rigs on monerohash... after having learned enough linux (or copy and pasting code into terminals... can't tell you how many times I've killed a program by ctrl-c'ing in a damn terminal... btw, thank you all you nice linux people for putting terminal code on the interwebs so I can just copy-paste.. or copy-shift-insert, as the case may be).

and then to see it pop up on my wallet as my client was catching up to the network.

Welcome, though you're kind'a late...
GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2014, 06:43:42 PM

In 2012 i decided to start mining bitcoins to support the network since i had already bought a few. So i built a nice computer with a nice GPU which was giving me 0.5 bitcoin a day. I think the price was around 8 dollars at the time. After mining for a few weeks i decided to sell the computer mostly because i couldnt stand the noise of the GPU fan Tongue After all i was gaining just a few dollars and i would need  a few months to get back my investment for the computer.

Now obviously i know that i shouldnt have sold that computer...

Drhiggins

Activity: 306
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 06:44:46 PM

Better late than never.  I didn't mine my first XMR until August.   But have mined a good bit now.  Matter of fact have a 290x GPU coming in today to run on my latest rig.  5x 280x and 1x 290x as a flagship card on that rig.    

Monerohash.com   U.S. Mining Pool
Drhiggins

Activity: 306
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 06:54:05 PM

Better late than never.  I didn't mine my first XMR until August.   But have mined a good bit now.  Matter of fact have a 290x GPU coming in today to run on my latest rig.  5x 280x and 1x 290x as a flagship card on that rig.    

You're mining XMR. On AMD cards. Why? Mining something else (pretty much anything else) and buying XMR would get you more.

I'm buying them too, especially now with the price at rock bottom.  Price will go back up though.  Hold them coins for days ahead.

Monerohash.com   U.S. Mining Pool
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 07:30:48 PM

You're mining XMR. On AMD cards. Why? Mining something else (pretty much anything else) and buying XMR would get you more.

I'm buying them too, especially now with the price at rock bottom.  Price will go back up though.  Hold them coins for days ahead.

Well, yeah - but you'd probably 1.5x or more the amount of coins you'd get from mining... odd that you're directly mining it.

Its good that he is supporting the network, in dollar terms he wouldnt make much more if he switched.

bigj

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 08:12:12 PM

I'm buying them too, especially now with the price at rock bottom.  Price will go back up though.  Hold them coins for days ahead.

Well, yeah - but you'd probably 1.5x or more the amount of coins you'd get from mining... odd that you're directly mining it.

Its good that he is supporting the network, in dollar terms he wouldnt make much more if he switched.

Are you kidding? Mining Neoscrypt gets you LOADS more than Monero right now.

Actually, it's a great idea to mine-and-sell some other coin/s, and then buy XMR with the earnings. That way, Monero would get some buy support!
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2014, 08:15:26 PM

I'm buying them too, especially now with the price at rock bottom.  Price will go back up though.  Hold them coins for days ahead.

I might be noob and late to the game, but in my mind supporting the network by hashing directly will ultimately support the coin, right? Whereas mining some other cc and then buying xmr could only potentially support the coin if you bought at a relatively high price to drive the market valuation up (somehow pulling this off without priming a pump dump bump).

And also, while i'm waiving my noob flag, i just want to get a final clarification - participating in hashing secures the network by driving up the difficulty (preventing the 51% attack), whereas running a node secures the network by holding a copy of the ledger to participate in ledger comparison / verification.

It'd be interesting to rank the available cryptocurrencies by # of nodes. I know this exists for BTC: https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/ .

Interesting. You take the network hash rate of BTC (311 ph/s) , divide that by # of nodes (6549), you get an average of 47 th/s per node.  Noob flag again: a pool is essentially 1 node, right?

Could one thwart the bitcoin network just by building (6549 / 2 + 1) nodes and modifying these nodes ledgers simultaneously? (or am I just describing a 51%??)

(lowers his noob flag and goes back to hiding)

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 09:05:06 PM

What coin(s)?

e-coinomist
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085

Money often costs too much.

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 09:27:25 PM

Could one thwart the bitcoin network just by building (6549 / 2 + 1) nodes and modifying these nodes ledgers simultaneously? (or am I just describing a 51%??)
Block-chain! Stringed up one block following another, beeing in a mathematical relation with it's predecessor that is currently impossible to forge.
You network would have to present something conclusive beginning from block #1 and the nodes have checkpoints with known checksums coded in, so can differentiate between "the blockchain" and "another blockchain".
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2014, 09:35:36 PM

roight roight roight. I feel sheepish.  Lips sealed

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 09:38:24 PM

Is there a rebute to this "possible" security issue that this purports to address. And when you say no you did not mean it would not be an "easy" integration?

There is no such issue. There are only around 100 possible coin sizes with the current denomination scheme (which could be reduced with something like a 1+2+5 system), so there is no issue with not being able to find matching output sizes for any reasonable non-dust amount.  I don't think they understood how denominations worked when they wrote that (are denominations in the cryptonote white paper?) or simply wanted to write a paper about an application of cryptography and didn't care.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 10:12:16 PM

Yes, it does support the coin - however, it raises the difficulty, too. If everyone mined, no one would be profitable - by buying coins, you're lowering the difficulty, and someone else will become profitable because of it and begin mining. It's not like mining will cease.

I agree. Buying also supports the coin.

I disagree a bit with what you are saying though about this or that being more profitable to mine. It doesn't necessarily make sense for a hobby miner to switch around constantly to the most profitable coin/algorithm and deal with getting everything working properly and optimized. If you consider the coins that have come and gone since Monero, its pretty reasonable to ignore the hot coin of the day and just stick with something having some longevity if you aren't running a big operation.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 10:23:49 PM

it's not really a flavor of the day, like most, more a flavor of the month, which makes it worth the effort.

That is totally subjective. GPU mining really isn't worth the effort at all to me, so if I had some GPUs and cheap power I'd probably not look for flavor of the month either. I'd rather just set something up and have it run with little or no attention for many months or years. I did this with LTC for example. I'm pretty sure during that time there were more profitable coins that came and went but if I had to pay attention I wouldn't have mined at all, and it was profitable the whole time. I did switch to a multipool at one point though.

nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 10:58:44 PM

So will there be the missive & new build today?

Maybe Monday Monero Missive
Jeff8247

Activity: 219
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 11:36:02 PM

Does anyone have an ETA on the Monero GUI client yet? Not trolling, serious question.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -Abraham Lincoln, 1864
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2014, 11:45:28 PM

If you're GPU mining at all right now, you understand it requires time and attention. If you're not prepared to give it any, then get on a multipool. They have Neoscrypt, too - all you really need to do is get pretty good configs for the algos, then hop on the multipool, and it'll switch both coins and algos according to profitability.

You're still not getting it. GPU mining doesn't require (much) time and attention unless you approach it that way, and you're not in a position to say what other people are "required" to do. Why should I mine a coin I don't want, using a setup that I don't necessarily expect to remain viable for a long time, then deal with exchanges and trading, just to get a small amount of increased revenue?

There are different approaches to mining. If you have cheap or free electricity then mining Monero using a mature miner and a very stable rig, using a well-maintained and stable pool is something that is likely to just keep going without much care and feeding for a long time, either at a profit or at a small loss (but perhaps acceptable given the goal to accumulate coins). You get coins you want right into the wallet you want without much or any time and attention Not unlike BTC mining really. The alternative of messing around with a bunch of other stuff and trading from coin to coin is not necessarily a good return on time investment.

That said, a multipool pool that paid out in Monero and allowed mining other algorithms might be useful.

Pages: « 1 ... 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 [888] 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: