Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:41:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 [958] 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667208 times)
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 12:54:50 AM

What are some marketplaces that accept monero? Supposedly you are working with i2p. There are sites accepting XMR now? I dont know how to use i2p yet so havent checked.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 01:01:17 AM

Does anyone know if there are any other cryptonote currencies ahead of or near monero in capitalization?

u don't trust

http://coinmarketcap.com/

?

I trust it. I just don't know which of those are cryptonote platforms. I looked at the cryptonote website and compared that list to the coinmarketcap but for all i know there could be some newer platforms that are missing from the cryptonote website. Thats the only reason i asked.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 01:10:49 AM

What are some marketplaces that accept monero? Supposedly you are working with i2p. There are sites accepting XMR now? I dont know how to use i2p yet so havent checked.

There are very few sites accepting XMR. Other than exchanges https://www.cryptocoins-dice.com/ is the only one I know about.

i2p is not integrated yet.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 01:14:00 AM

We're trying to get a community wide minimum mixin level of 3, correct?

I think the community should start petitioning the major exchanges to modify their withdrawal function.

Nice suggestion.

To have to go through an intermediary mymonero wallet is... ridiculous.

AFAIK you don't have to use an intermediary wallet. I think that if you just have to resend them to yourself. Which is kind of ridiculous anyway but its a little simpler.

well, if you do that, whats the point?

exchange --- (low mix) ---> your address ---- (high mix) ----> your same address...

there's already an easily traceable link to your primary address. All you've done is given tx fees to miners. Which is great for miners.

Nobody can tell that the addresses are the same. For all anyone can tell those coins moved off to a completely different owner, and in fact the high mix spend is ambiguous so they could have moved off in to a number of different places. In fact it isn't even visible whether the coins moved. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 01:17:42 AM

Does anyone know if there are any other cryptonote currencies ahead of or near monero in capitalization?

There are no other cryptonote-based coins in the top 100 on coinmarketcap besides XMR and BCN.

SDC uses a cryptonote-based design for their anonymous tokens, which is a bit different in terms of coin design and doesn't share code but the cryptography is almost identical.

nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 01:53:24 AM

I think the community should start petitioning the major exchanges to modify their withdrawal function.

Nice suggestion.

AFAIK you don't have to use an intermediary wallet. I think that if you just have to resend them to yourself. Which is kind of ridiculous anyway but its a little simpler.

exchange --- (low mix) ---> your address ---- (high mix) ----> your same address...

there's already an easily traceable link to your primary address. All you've done is given tx fees to miners. Which is great for miners.

Nobody can tell that the addresses are the same. For all anyone can tell those coins moved off to a completely different owner, and in fact the high mix spend is ambiguous so they could have moved off in to a number of different places. In fact it isn't even visible whether the coins moved. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.

I remember you recently stating that you had used one wallet for transfers from exchanges and then sent that Monero to a different wallet so that you could use a higher mixin value because exchanges use a mixin of 0 or 1.  From what you are saying here, different wallets are not necessary.

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4884

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:05:01 AM

Cross-posted from: https://xmrmonero.com/article/en/monero-torrent

We are proud to announce the release of a torrent of Monero 0.8.8.6 for Windows. This torrent includes the blockchain, lightwallet.exe and simplewallet.exe. The complete torrents weights 2.4 Gb.

To download, open your favorite torrent application and enter the following magnet link (double click to select it all):

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:2F68E7CC7FB7AC264758DE3BBA3108AA87F07C99&dn=bitmonerod.zip&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.publicbt.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.ccc.de%3a80%2fannounce

Remember to keep seeding after you downloaded, to make the download faster for the ones who come after you.

Below are md5 and virus scans
  • md5sum bitmonerod.zip: a8f6baf1ae8ac9ad8970f79c0430165d
  • md5sum bitmonerod.exe: a8f6baf1ae8ac9ad8970f79c0430165d
  • md5sum lightWallet.exe: 6e9aa82cd7388aaf5e408d4a8adb883e
  • md5sum simplewallet.exe: d65a3970a03eb2f6f8f2e3e480c42b8e
The executables have been scanned with virustotal. lighWallet.exe has three positives (probably false), the others have none.
updated by David Latapie

Probably?

Dnloading and Hosting.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:08:05 AM

Nice suggestion.

I remember you recently stating that you had used one wallet for transfers from exchanges and then sent that Monero to a different wallet so that you could use a higher mixin value because exchanges use a mixin of 0 or 1.  From what you are saying here, different wallets are not necessary.

Since there is no coin control it is hard to do this without separate wallets. If you move coins from an exchange to a wallet that has some other coins in it, you can't really respend the exchange coins (using a higher mix) without also respending your other coins, which wastes money on fees.

It also somewhat links your other coins to the exchange coins since they would be used in the same tranasction. The linkage is weak since there is ambiguity about which coins are actually used, but it is easy to avoid the issue by using a separate intermediate wallet.

In the future I imagine there will be coin control features in wallets so you would be able to say "just move these coins"
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:10:07 AM

Probably?

The binary is just the python source for lightwallet plus a self-installer that comes from pyinstaller. We don't fully understand the issue but one guess is that some malware has used pyinstaller as well, so it kicks off some false positives. We don't think there is a high risk here, but jwinterm (author of lightwallet) is looking to see if there is another way to package it to avoid the virustotal hits.

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:34:41 AM

There are no other cryptonote-based coins in the top 100 on coinmarketcap besides XMR and BCN.

SDC uses a cryptonote-based design for their anonymous tokens, which is a bit different in terms of coin design and doesn't share code but the cryptography is almost identical.

Thanks so much! I'm very interested in cryptonote more generally rather than monero specifically, im here because monero has the most traction, but im interested in anything else that has some traction and uses cryptonote also. So I'll have to look into sdc.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:42:40 AM

Thanks so much! I'm very interested in cryptonote more generally rather than monero specifically, im here because monero has the most traction, but im interested in anything else that has some traction and uses cryptonote also. So I'll have to look into sdc.

They will tell you it isn't cryptonote because they want to market it as something brand new and completely unique. And indeed it is (as far as I know) an independent implementation, but it uses one time ring signatures with key images and stealth addresses, so make up your own mind on the matter. I've already given my opinion.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:51:44 AM

lol shadowcash Smiley heres all you need to know about it: http://pastebin.com/S7aKCDgy

lol, I hadn't see that, but I've always said that richlists are a scam.
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:56:41 AM

They will tell you it isn't cryptonote because they want to market it as something brand new and completely unique. And indeed it is (as far as I know) an independent implementation, but it uses one time ring signatures with key images and stealth addresses, so make up your own mind on the matter. I've already given my opinion.

Do you have any personal opinions on SDC? Seeing as you have studied it at least some amount. They make a lot of promises. If it delivers on half of them it should be valued higher than it is so that looks atleast a little suspicious.

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 03:01:45 AM

Do you have any personal opinions on SDC? Seeing as you have studied it at least some amount. They make a lot of promises. If it delivers on half of them it should be valued higher than it is so that looks atleast a little suspicious.

I think you should probably ask in their thread.

Ask smooth a question in their thread? Why should i expect him to see it there?

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 03:17:23 AM

Its basically a premined/instamined fast-PoW-to-PoS coin using the "create a coin with no features, mine/instamine all of it at next to no cost" model, then add features and hope it goes up. Supposedly a tiny number of people own basically all the coins. I'm not a fan of that.

As I said earlier, it uses cryptonote methods for anonymity so that part is more or less fine, but I don't really see the value added by reimplementing it. That seems to have been done for marketing purposes, to claim it is unique instead of a clone.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2015, 03:56:44 AM

If Bytecoin has Multisig then why can't Monero add that code?

It only has Multisig for mixin 0. This limits its usefulness.

Limited usefulness is still useful.  No need to make perfect the enemy of good enough for critical purposes like decentralized escrow, especially when ideal solutions require research sufficient for a breakthrough (which might require a hard fork to implement).

Minimum mixin of 3 seems far too low.  Would it make the blockchain explode if the minimum was 33 or 99?

Looking forward to finding out if Tomaso Aste is Nicolas van Saberhagen, who just happens to have the same initials as Nick Szabo!

And smooth was wrong, there are three Cryptonote coins in the top 100 (XMR, BCN, and XDN).  If you filter the non/pre-mined shitcoins, BBR also makes the cut.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 04:01:24 AM

Limited usefulness is still useful.  No need to make perfect the enemy of good enough for critical purposes like decentralized escrow, especially when ideal solutions require research sufficient for a breakthrough (which might require a hard fork to implement).

I agree to a point. Any multisig would require a hard fork at this point, btw.

Minimum mixin of 3 seems far too low.  Would it make the blockchain explode if the minimum was 33 or 99?

Sure it would (transaction size is close to linear with mixin size), but I disagree that a minimum of 3 is far to low. Why do you say that?

Looking forward to finding out if Tomaso Aste is Nicolas van Saberhagen, who just happens to have the same initials as Nick Szabo!

Look, these guys are lying scammers; that is pretty well proven. I have no reason to believe whoever they stick up there to shill is actually the original inventor, and if it is, well that's just one more person identifed as a lying scammer.

And smooth was wrong, there are three Cryptonote coins in the top 100 (XMR, BCN, and XDN).  If you filter the non/pre-mined shitcoins, BBR also makes the cut.

Yes you are right!

Believe it or not, I searched for XDN, but I looked for "ducknote." Doh!

Drhiggins

Activity: 306
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 04:22:04 AM

How do you generate a Payment ID with simple wallet?  Or can you?

Monerohash.com   U.S. Mining Pool
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1103

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 04:42:29 AM

How do you generate a Payment ID with simple wallet?  Or can you?

You can't, afaik, but you can use this website:
https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

Payment id is just a 64 character hex string, so you can just grab what's in the "64 random hexadecimal characters (0-9 and A-F)" field.

Drhiggins

Activity: 306
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 04:52:52 AM

Thanks for the link . Simple enough.  Does anyone know if the GUI will have a payment ID generator?

Monerohash.com   U.S. Mining Pool
Pages: « 1 ... 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 [958] 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: