Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2018, 10:46:28 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.16.1  [Torrent]. (New!)

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 ... 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 [965] 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 ... 1979 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4242525 times)
jehst

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 01:47:42 PM

Question: are exchanges and marketplaces always going to need to custom build the architecture to automate XMR deposits?
Eventually, no. Meanwhile, coding takes time.

There is no rush. Obviously we're at the alpha stage here and there are more important things on the roadmap.

I was honestly wondering whether one day different exchanges and other platforms could use basically the same code to accept Cryptonote coins. Or whether each individual platform had to figure out how to integrate it on their respective platforms.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
The World's Betting Exchange

Bet with play money. Win real Bitcoin. 5BTC Prize Fund for World Cup 2018.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1612

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 02:08:55 PM

The new tippero tipbot has learned a new trick!

Tippero now offers a provably fair dice game. You can play on IRC either in the #tippero channel, or directly with tippero (ie, /query tippero).

Basic use: !dice 0.1 1.5

This bets 0.1 monero for a 150% payout if you win. Multipliers can go from 0.1 to 10. House edge is 1%. Minimum bet 0.001 monero, maximum bet 5 monero.

See available dice commands with !commands dice. Game overview with !help dice. For an explanation of how the provably fair system works, see !fair. There is even sample Python code supplied to check fairness of past rolls.

This looks awesome, but how do I deposit XMR with the bot?

Figured it out:
Code:
!help payment

David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 02:29:45 PM

Basic use: !dice 0.1 1.5For an explanation of how the provably fair system works, see !fair. There is even sample Python code supplied to check fairness of past rolls.
Do you plan to allow investement, like in JD?

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
Coinerent

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 03:01:19 PM

Hi, I'm really excited about this crypto projet, it seems like a better Bitcoin overall, especially after reading this: https://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~verbuech/klepto-ecdsa/klepto-ecdsa.pdf

Now not only it is a danger to use Bitcoin because all your coins are in "public" but wallets thought to be cold wallets could be hacked, I see with Monero its impossible to determine any wallets balance so even if this Bitcoin exploit applies it would not be easy to steal the coins  Smiley
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1001

Still wild and free

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 03:07:20 PM

Hi, I'm really excited about this crypto projet, it seems like a better Bitcoin overall, especially after reading this: https://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~verbuech/klepto-ecdsa/klepto-ecdsa.pdf

Now not only it is a danger to use Bitcoin because all your coins are in "public" but wallets thought to be cold wallets could be hacked, I see with Monero its impossible to determine any wallets balance so even if this Bitcoin exploit applies it would not be easy to steal the coins  Smiley

Hey, welcome!

The paper you're linking is about a malicious implementation of ECDSA. It's nothing really new or scary. You can only steal coins of people that generated their cold wallet using your malicious implementation, not steal any wallet created on a sane implementation a posteriori. Monero is obviously not immune to this kind of exploit either. If you assume some part of the crypto primitives are malicious then every crypto-applications that we know would be exploitable.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
David Latapie

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 03:28:02 PM

Welcome and as binaryfate said, this is not scary and definitely not the best reason to choose Monero.

Here they are: Why Monero

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1042

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 03:48:17 PM

Question: are exchanges and marketplaces always going to need to custom build the architecture to automate XMR deposits? We have this situation with Cryptsy where Monero is the top voted coin to be added to the marketplace, but they are too busy to do the work to change it. Can there never be a plug and play solution for exchange and marketplace owners? This is really a problem for all Cryptonote coins so Nicolas van Saberhagen, zoidberg, and anyone else in the Cryptonote family should be united with you guys (XMR devs) on this if nothing else.

TheKoziTwo is working on a payment gateway.  He ran the first BCN/XMR exchange and helped get Poloniex set up for CN coins.

Maybe we can bribe him to go faster...   Tongue  The least we can do is reimburse his dev fund contribution.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Coinerent

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 04:30:44 PM

Welcome and as binaryfate said, this is not scary and definitely not the best reason to choose Monero.

Here they are: Why Monero

Good to know as I still plan to keep using BTC, still XMR really promises a lot for privacy and real e-cash network.
David Latapie

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 05:12:21 PM

You can connect your simplewallet to a public node (subject to some security downgrade considerations). One such node is https://www.moneroclub.com/node. This will require a lot less RAM.
The view key can not yet be used for this, as there are no available tools for this yet. It is one of the intended purposes of the view key, though.
Can you provide instructions to be added to this page: How to use a remote node? Please make it so that I don't have to refomulate, just check-copy-paste. Thank you.

osensei

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

https://monerohash.com

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 05:46:49 PM

I can also confirm that the DB version is working  Grin

I've been running it for the past days, I've synced the blockchain from scratch and have made a few transfers, and so far it has worked great! In my case it's using around 300 Mb of RAM right now.

I encourage all Linux users to try it out. If anyone is interested in downloading the blockchain in DB format let me know and I'll upload it somewhere.
For those who don't have an SSD, I recommend applying these changes for better performance: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.msg9610064#msg9610064 (the line number may have changed, but the code to replace it's still the same)

MoneroHash.com - U.S. Mining Pool
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1025

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 06:40:39 PM

I can also confirm that the DB version is working  Grin

I've been running it for the past days, I've synced the blockchain from scratch and have made a few transfers, and so far it has worked great! In my case it's using around 300 Mb of RAM right now.

I encourage all Linux users to try it out. If anyone is interested in downloading the blockchain in DB format let me know and I'll upload it somewhere.
For those who don't have an SSD, I recommend applying these changes for better performance: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.msg9610064#msg9610064 (the line number may have changed, but the code to replace it's still the same)

Working fine for me on linux, but getting cmake to work on windows has cost me too much time -- have to give up until someone else provides instructions, given time constraints.  Got so close with msys2 cmake and visual studio but the project files won't load in my VS Express.  (Refuse to pay MS for polluting language standards, so I go with the free kit.)

i do hate cmake with a passion.  why does nobody just write a nice portable GNU makefile?  it's not rocket science.  cmake syntax alone is so repugnant, i can barely stand to run it.  auto tools are way worse, but cmake is so redundant when GNU make covers it so well.
ah well, just a hobby horse pet peeve of mine.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1025

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 06:42:26 PM

Idea:  Development bond, denominated in XMR, sold for BTC, priced 100% over market at offer date.  Development bond pays 8% annual interest in XMR in quarterly coupons, 5 year maturity.  Seller hedges by buying enough XMR to redeem all bonds at maturity.  The result is that ~51% of the bond fix premium funds development, and 49% becomes an XMR profit to the buyer.

Buyer motivation:  Increase XMR holdings, while contributing to the appreciation of the value of XMR as a commodity.
Seller motivation:  Fund development with a fair offer.

surprised that this did not elicit any comments.  i expected a very vociferously bimodal response pattern.  is it really so UNINTERESTING an idea as to provoke such impoverished affect?

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1612

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 06:46:47 PM

Idea:  Development bond, denominated in XMR, sold for BTC, priced 100% over market at offer date.  Development bond pays 8% annual interest in XMR in quarterly coupons, 5 year maturity.  Seller hedges by buying enough XMR to redeem all bonds at maturity.  The result is that ~51% of the bond fix premium funds development, and 49% becomes an XMR profit to the buyer.

Buyer motivation:  Increase XMR holdings, while contributing to the appreciation of the value of XMR as a commodity.

surprised that this did not elicit any comments.  i expected a very vociferously bimodal response pattern.  is it really so UNINTERESTING an idea as to provoke such impoverished affect?

I found it interesting, but I lack the financial acumen to develop this into a reality.

binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1344

Still wild and free

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 06:47:24 PM

I think 5 year maturity is... well, very long.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1414

Marketplace for sensor data

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 06:49:29 PM

I understand the buyer motivation but not too sure about the seller motivation.

▄██▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ███████████ ██  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀███▌
       ▄                  ▐██
     ▄██▀   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▐██▄
    ▄██    ██▀ ▄▄▄▄         ▀▀
 ▄███▀     █ ▄█▀ ▄▄▄           ▄██▄
██  ██     █ █  █████  █ ▄    ██  ██
 ▀██▀            ▀▀▀ ▄██ █     ███▀
     ▄            ▄▄██▀ ▄█   ▄██▌
    ▀██▄          ▄▄▄▄▄█▀   ▄██
      ██▄                   ▀▀
       ▀███▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ██  ██████████  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀██▀

▄██▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ███████████ ██  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀███▌
       ▄                  ▐██
      ██▄                   ▀▀
       ▀███▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ██  ██████████  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀██▀
PRE-REGISTER NOW FOR
THE MAIN TOKENSALE

██
██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
   ██
   ██
.MONETIZE YOUR IOT DATA!.

Telegram
Twitter
▄▄███████████████████████████████████▄▄
██████████▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀██████████
█████████▌ ██          █▌ ██  █████████
██████████▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄  ▐█████████
█████████▀▀█████████████████  ▀████████
████████  ▄███▀ ▄▄▄▄█████████▌ ▀███████
██████▀  ▄██▀ ▄█▀ ▄▄██████████▄▄███████
███▀▀▀  ███▌ ▄█ ▄█▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀███
██▌ ██ ▐███▌ █▌ █ ▐█▌ █▌ █ ▐███  ██ ▐██
███▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄█▀ ▄█ ▐███▌  ▄▄███
███████▀▀██████████▄▄▄▄█▀ ▄███▀  ██████
███████▄  █████████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀  ███████
████████▄  ▀█████████████████▄▄████████
██████████    ▀██████████▀▀▀▀██████████
██████████▌ ██ ▐█         ██ ▐█████████
███████████▄▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄▄██████████
▀▀███████████████████████████████████▀▀
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1414

Marketplace for sensor data

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 06:50:44 PM

..... BS about another scam coin

GO AWAY!

▄██▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ███████████ ██  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀███▌
       ▄                  ▐██
      ██▄                   ▀▀
       ▀███▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ██  ██████████  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀██▀

▄██▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ███████████ ██  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀███▌
       ▄                  ▐██
      ██▄                   ▀▀
       ▀███▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ██  ██████████  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀██▀
PRE-REGISTER NOW FOR
THE MAIN TOKENSALE

██
██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
   ██
   ██
.MONETIZE YOUR IOT DATA!.

Telegram
Twitter
▄▄███████████████████████████████████▄▄
██████████▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀██████████
█████████▌ ██          █▌ ██  █████████
██████████▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄  ▐█████████
█████████▀▀█████████████████  ▀████████
████████  ▄███▀ ▄▄▄▄█████████▌ ▀███████
██████▀  ▄██▀ ▄█▀ ▄▄██████████▄▄███████
███▀▀▀  ███▌ ▄█ ▄█▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀███
██▌ ██ ▐███▌ █▌ █ ▐█▌ █▌ █ ▐███  ██ ▐██
███▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄█▀ ▄█ ▐███▌  ▄▄███
███████▀▀██████████▄▄▄▄█▀ ▄███▀  ██████
███████▄  █████████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀  ███████
████████▄  ▀█████████████████▄▄████████
██████████    ▀██████████▀▀▀▀██████████
██████████▌ ██ ▐█         ██ ▐█████████
███████████▄▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄▄██████████
▀▀███████████████████████████████████▀▀
GingerAle

Activity: 1022

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 07:01:24 PM

I understand the buyer motivation but not too sure about the seller motivation.

my lack of response was due to the (what I think would be an) inherent trust system required for such a vehicle. Who sells it? The core team? They'd be the most trustworthy I guess, but I don't wanna slog them with more work.

Do we build a "smart contract" (whatever the hell that is) on the mastercoin network? Or ethereum?

Or is it a wallet bot of some kind? Or just a multisig wallet controlled by an algorithm?

so yeah - my initial lack of reaction was due to the centralized nature of such a mechanism in a de-facto decentralized community....

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
AllCryptoAllDay

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 07:05:27 PM

Im the dev of SCSY he is posting fud everywhere

GET A LIFE

MoneroMooo
Legendary

Activity: 1225

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 07:07:39 PM

Basic use: !dice 0.1 1.5For an explanation of how the provably fair system works, see !fair. There is even sample Python code supplied to check fairness of past rolls.
Do you plan to allow investement, like in JD?

No I don't. Maybe that's something that could be revisited at some point if volume picks up and a need for this arises.

▄▄▄▄██████▄▄▄▄
             ▄▄███████████████████▄▄        █
          ▄████████▀▀▀     ▀▀▀████████    ██
        ▄█████▀▀                 ▀▀█████████
      ▄████▀                         ██████
     ████                     ▄▄▄██████████
    ████               ▄▄▄▄██████████████████
   ████            ▄▄██████████████▀▀▀ ▄█ ████
  ████          ▄█████████████▀▀ ▄▄▄████   ████
 ▐███         ▄███████████▀▀ ▄▄████████    ████▌
 ████        █████████▀▀ ▄▄███████████▀     ████
 ███▌       ███████▀ ▄▄██████████████▀      ▐███
 ███▌      ██████▀ ▄██████████████▀▀        ▐███
 ████     █████▀   █▀▀                      ████
 ▐███     ████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀         ████▌
  ████   ████  ████████████████▀           ████
   ████  ███  █▀▀                         ████
    ████ ███   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀            ████
     ████ █  █████████████▀            █████▀
      █████  █▀▀                     ▄████▀
       ▀█████▄▄▄                ▄▄▄█████▀
         ▀████████▄▄▄      ▄▄▄████████▀
            ▀▀████████████████████▀▀
                 ▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Egretia   
  World's 1st HTML5 Blockchain Engine and Platform 
                 ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  Public Sale Starts on May 26 2018!         
   [ ANN THREAD ]

▬▬

TELEGRAM           ● TWITTER
              ● FACEBOOK           ● LINKEDIN
REDDIT           ● BOUNTY THREAD
MoneroMooo
Legendary

Activity: 1225

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 07:13:06 PM

Can you provide instructions to be added to this page: How to use a remote node? Please make it so that I don't have to refomulate, just check-copy-paste. Thank you.

I'm not sure I understand. There are instructions at this page. Are you saying they're wrong or deficient in some way, and want new instructions ?
If you just mean adding a note about this particular node, then you can add this at the end:

Tip4:
An alternative open monero node is maintained by Atrides, and may be used instead of hegemoon's node by replacing xmr1.coolmining.club:5012 with node.moneroclub.com:8880. See more details about this node at https://www.moneroclub.com/node.

▄▄▄▄██████▄▄▄▄
             ▄▄███████████████████▄▄        █
          ▄████████▀▀▀     ▀▀▀████████    ██
        ▄█████▀▀                 ▀▀█████████
      ▄████▀                         ██████
     ████                     ▄▄▄██████████
    ████               ▄▄▄▄██████████████████
   ████            ▄▄██████████████▀▀▀ ▄█ ████
  ████          ▄█████████████▀▀ ▄▄▄████   ████
 ▐███         ▄███████████▀▀ ▄▄████████    ████▌
 ████        █████████▀▀ ▄▄███████████▀     ████
 ███▌       ███████▀ ▄▄██████████████▀      ▐███
 ███▌      ██████▀ ▄██████████████▀▀        ▐███
 ████     █████▀   █▀▀                      ████
 ▐███     ████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀         ████▌
  ████   ████  ████████████████▀           ████
   ████  ███  █▀▀                         ████
    ████ ███   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀            ████
     ████ █  █████████████▀            █████▀
      █████  █▀▀                     ▄████▀
       ▀█████▄▄▄                ▄▄▄█████▀
         ▀████████▄▄▄      ▄▄▄████████▀
            ▀▀████████████████████▀▀
                 ▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Egretia   
  World's 1st HTML5 Blockchain Engine and Platform 
                 ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  Public Sale Starts on May 26 2018!         
   [ ANN THREAD ]

▬▬

TELEGRAM           ● TWITTER
              ● FACEBOOK           ● LINKEDIN
REDDIT           ● BOUNTY THREAD
Pages: « 1 ... 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 [965] 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 ... 1979 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.