Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:36:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 [1067] 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667216 times)
Joshuar

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

eidoo wallet

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 12:49:39 AM

What if monero was funded through fundraising website/programs? I know those websites usually dont allow you to give something in return to those who donate, but they could be directed to a monero exchange where they could buy some if theyd like.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 12:51:23 AM

hash the destination address + the block header of the previous block

Two problems here. One is the the destination address is one time and the sender can change it with a different choice of r. The other is that you could just wait for another block.

Something like this might be possible based on the key image. That's something I've thought about a bit for another purpose.

Well thats all i really hoped to accomplish was to see if i could get the devs thinking about the general principal in a more abstract sense. if you already are than awesome. Smiley

*edit* also, 0.003  Smiley

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 12:57:52 AM

*edit* i was thinking the other day, if monero's anonymity is not sufficient for your needs you can always run monero through a tumbler like bitcoin fog. its crazy to think about the difficulty of tracking monero that's been through a tumbler.

Yes that is absolutely true and an advantage over btc mixers would be that the mixer logs would be useless since the mixer itself wouldn't know where the coins came from. With a coinjoin-style mixer the mixer wouldn't even need to know where the coins are going either. With the former you still have the usual issue of the mixer stealing your coins and with the latter you have a simultaneity requirement and timing attacks (as with regular coinjoin). The denominations naturally used in Monero would help with some of the other coinjoin weaknesses (relationships between inputs and output values).

This would provide protection against the threat that someday the "crypto is cracked" and anonymity broken. But then again in the normal course of transactions through merchants, p2p transactions, loans, gambling, etc. there is a lot of natural mixing too.

You can easily add off-chain mixing to a coin that provides on-chain mixing but you can't easily do the opposite.

EDIT: I guess you could pre-derive a one-time destination address even with a receive-and-send mixer, which would remove the recipient address from the mixer's logs too. Currently there is no tooling to send to a precomputed one-time address but I don't see a reason why it couldn't work. Also, I guess there are some issues with r being per-tx not per-output, although I suppose that could be changed to enable this, at the cost of some added space.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2015, 01:50:22 AM

*edit* i was thinking the other day, if monero's anonymity is not sufficient for your needs you can always run monero through a tumbler like bitcoin fog. its crazy to think about the difficulty of tracking monero that's been through a tumbler.

Yes that is absolutely true and an advantage over btc mixers would be that the mixer logs would be useless since the mixer itself wouldn't know where the coins came from. With a coinjoin-style mixer the mixer wouldn't even need to know where the coins are going either. With the former you still have the usual issue of the mixer stealing your coins and with the latter you have a simultaneity requirement and timing attacks (as with regular coinjoin). The denominations naturally used in Monero would help with some of the other coinjoin weaknesses (relationships between inputs and output values).

This would provide protection against the threat that someday the "crypto is cracked" and anonymity broken. But then again in the normal course of transactions through merchants, p2p transactions, loans, gambling, etc. there is a lot of natural mixing too.

You can easily add off-chain mixing to a coin that provides on-chain mixing but you can't easily do the opposite.

EDIT: I guess you could pre-derive a one-time destination address even with a receive-and-send mixer, which would remove the recipient address from the mixer's logs too. Currently there is no tooling to send to a precomputed one-time address but I don't see a reason why it couldn't work. Also, I guess there are some issues with r being per-tx not per-output, although I suppose that could be changed to enable this, at the cost of some added space.

Sounds good.  Let's add trustless FluffyNodes to the roadmap!

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2015, 01:53:48 AM

What if monero was funded through fundraising website/programs? I know those websites usually dont allow you to give something in return to those who donate, but they could be directed to a monero exchange where they could buy some if theyd like.

Well, I got excited about checking out kickstarter, but they don't allow projects for "cash equivalent" things... they used some other word than things. I forget.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 02:08:40 AM
Last edit: March 22, 2015, 04:32:47 AM by Anon136

Well, I got excited about checking out kickstarter, but they don't allow projects for "cash equivalent" things... they used some other word than things. I forget.

As I've said before, and i will probably say it again in the future. If we ever want to do a kickstarter type crowd funding campaign I continue to be more than happy to escrow it.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
5w00p

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 02:21:23 AM

I made a short animation of the Monero logo in 3D and I just uploaded it to Youtube.

Nothing spectacular, but I made the logo in Solidworks and I am just a beginning student, so it isn't too bad, considering.  Tongue

Link to video: https://youtu.be/JO8J_epTPo0
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 03:17:50 AM

As I've said before, and i will probably say it again in the future. If we ever want to do a kickstarter type crowed funding campaign I continue to be more than happy to escrow it.

No need to do a kickstarter, just donate directly to devs!
http://getmonero.org/getting-started/donate/

All of these people agree: http://getmonero.org/getting-started/donate/hall-of-fame

G2M

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Activity: 616

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 04:00:15 AM

... Vice ...

LOL, i was actually in Vice NYC with one of their PPM's chatting Monero up. She said she'll talk to the motherboard guy about it. This was months ago, maybe it's time to ask again Cheesy

What's a PPM?

Alex Pasternack is the Motherboard editor I believe. alexp at motherboard dot tv

Sir, he's referred to as noodle in my parts! Cheesy

also, post production manager = ppm

Wind picked up: F4BC1F4BC0A2A1C4

banditryandloot goin2mars kbm keyboard-mash theusualstuff

probably a few more that don't matter for much.
Drhiggins

Activity: 306
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 04:07:02 AM

So what ever happened to cryptocoins-dice.com   Did they just steal all the funds and skip town?

Monerohash.com   U.S. Mining Pool
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 04:11:15 AM

So what ever happened to cryptocoins-dice.com   Did they just steal all the funds and skip town?
Yes
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2015, 04:12:21 AM

Yes

As if you really had to guess.  They totally pulled a Friedcat.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Drhiggins

Activity: 306
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 04:23:52 AM

Yes

As if you really had to guess.  They totally pulled a Friedcat.

Well I made about 25 XMR off that site in a quick 10 days. Then my Spidey senses kicked in and said get the F$#@ out. 
Listening to my gut instinct rarely fails me.  Well karma is a bitch and they will get what's coming to them.  Feel for anyone that lost XMR or other coins.

Monerohash.com   U.S. Mining Pool
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 04:32:24 AM

As I've said before, and i will probably say it again in the future. If we ever want to do a kickstarter type crowd funding campaign I continue to be more than happy to escrow it.

All of these people agree: http://getmonero.org/getting-started/donate/hall-of-fame

I definitely think there is some value to the crowd funding model. People dont know what they are getting from a random donation. They dont know whether they effected anything. Maybe if they hadnt donated nothing would have been any different. Maybe the devs would have accomplished exactly as much as if they hadnt donated. With a crowd funding campaign we could do something like, if we are able to raise X resources by Y date than these three devs will be able to work full time on monero for 6 months rather than as a side project. Or something like this. Then contributors know what they are purchasing, rather than just some nebulous idea of maybe monero will be made better. Additionally it gives people a goal that they can push for, people can say look we only need 1,000 more monero before we reach the goal. They can track the progress. People have conversations about it and so follow the progress in a way that they dont with just people giving random donations when ever. Its definitely not the same.

wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 04:44:36 AM

I definitely think there is some value to the crowd funding model. People dont know what they are getting from a random donation. They dont know whether they effected anything. Maybe if they hadnt donated nothing would have been any different. Maybe the devs would have accomplished exactly as much as if they hadnt donated. With a crowd funding campaign we could do something like, if we are able to raise X resources by Y date than these three devs will be able to work full time on monero for 6 months rather than as a side project. Or something like this. Then contributors know what they are purchasing, rather than just some nebulous idea of maybe monero will be made better. Additionally it gives people a goal that they can push for, people can say look we only need 1,000 more monero before we reach the goal. They can track the progress. People have conversations about it and so follow the progress in a way that they dont with just people giving random donations when ever. Its definitely not the same.

Something like this becomes more feasible with the increasing Monero price.

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 04:45:53 AM

Something like this becomes more feasible with the increasing Monero price.

Thats what you call a positive feedback loop Cheesy

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 05:15:33 AM

I agree with the crowdfunding model. I'd add that kickstarter can provide a lot more exposure than just using an escrow but that also requires promoting the campaign to get much value from it.

Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 05:24:44 AM

I agree with the crowdfunding model. I'd add that kickstarter can provide a lot more exposure than just using an escrow but that also requires promoting the campaign to get much value from it.

If I'm understanding gingerale correctly here, i think hes saying that kickstarter is a no go. Maybe indigogo though.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 05:39:51 AM

If I'm understanding gingerale correctly here, i think hes saying that kickstarter is a no go. Maybe indigogo though.

Hopefully somebody will look into it. Pure speculation here but I wonder if that means you can't give people cash equivalents as a reward. But maybe the project funding with no rewards or different rewards could still happen there (or as you say another crowdfunding site with good visibility).
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 05:52:26 AM

Hopefully somebody will look into it. Pure speculation here but I wonder if that means you can't give people cash equivalents as a reward. But maybe the project funding with no rewards or different rewards could still happen there (or as you say another crowdfunding site with good visibility).

You guys should talk about it amongst yourselves and see what sort of commitment you can come up with for what price. I know we talked about this before and you weren't willing to commit to delivering any particular product, but maybe you could commit to full time development for a given period of time. I think that would satisfy people. If you can come up with something that we could crowd fund than im sure we could find some way of accommodating that.

Pages: « 1 ... 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 [1067] 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: