Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:29:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-order Bitcoin Magazine - Quality control, final revisions on proofs  (Read 93671 times)
DoubleIcaras

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Kill me~

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 07:49:33 AM

This is amazing, I truly wish this takes off!

Help support Bitcoin awareness in London! Donate to it here: 1F6MCoBMwmfpT5fruvCUjirFEybhLe5c1C
Or get involved here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=58539.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2012, 07:57:00 AM

I just saw the Page One movie about the New York Times and print media in general being slowly but surely destroyed by the internet and social media. It's a great irony that the cryptocurrency of the future is staking out space in media's past. I look forward to reading the magazine if and when it gets down to my local B&N. Would it help if I call the store and demand that they carry it?

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 07:58:08 AM

Good work on actually making it happen! Hopefully the cover stories being on pages 24 and 28 are not indicative of there being 23 pages of crap before them.

cheers

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 08:04:09 AM

I just saw the Page One movie about the New York Times and print media in general being slowly but surely destroyed by the internet and social media. It's a great irony that the cryptocurrency of the future is staking out space in media's past. I look forward to reading the magazine if and when it gets down to my local B&N. Would it help if I call the store and demand that they carry it?

It is ironic, isn't it? People who say paper is dead and cryptocurrency rulez tend to say so while holding a casascius coin in their pocket. Humans can't help but be attracted to the tangible.

Good work on actually making it happen! Hopefully the cover stories being on pages 24 and 28 are not indicative of there being 23 pages of crap before them.

The cover shot is just a sample of what's to come. The numbers is not correct, and the lineup might change slightly as well as we finalize the last segments.

Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 08:09:00 AM

Nice work, a successful magazine will certainly add to credibility. Good luck, and I look forward to reading it.

As for me, I've made my order and paid in bitcoins. I don't particularly want a paper copy (save a branch), but I didn't particularly want to pay via USD either, so couldn't order the digital version via bitcoins  - perhaps I'll leave it at the doctors office like someone else suggested, and at least spread the cheer.

BTW, how does one access the digital copy? was I supposed to register on the site before buying it?
istar

Activity: 523

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 08:22:15 AM

My girlfriends reaction.
A man with a mask, thats like digging your own grave.

I hope she is not right but I fear she is, in that for most people it will make Bitcoins look like a negative thing.
Unfortunatly connecting Bitcoin with software piracy (Rick falkwinge) and anonymous will appeal to young males and Protest the wallstreet but make any normal business afraid of being associated with it.

I´m afraid I cant put this issue on the desk of my office since it might rather make the guys with suits never accept Bitcoins.
I can picture someone holding that issue in his hand in a TV show debating Bitcoins using the cover against Bitcoin.

However in my eyes it still looks really cool and like a really great work!
But than I know who anonymous are and I know how good Bitcoin is for the world, but I´m not the one you should convince.

Though I really look forward to read the issue and will buy a couple of issues and I really hope I´m wrong so I can put the issue on strategic places or otherwise I will have to wait for the next issue Wink

Please make next issue focus on the positive sides that are accepted by the public.
Such as the democratic voting system that if it works, can be used to stop every voting from ever being manipulated.
This does not have to be a boring cover.
It can feature a red circle crossing over any "dictator" that cheated with voting, maybe Hitler, Mao etc (or insert other dictator, not sure if they cheated.)

Anyway, great work.

And is that an interview with Satoshi?

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 08:28:40 AM

If Bitcoin ever takes off mainstream, this will be a collectors item akin to original Elvis memorabilia.  First volume of first season of first Bitcoin magazine ever printed?  Heck yes...  Especially with the low qty first edition print.

Just ordered a printed copy.  If it comes wrapped in plastic, I'm not sure I'll have the heart to open it.  Good thing it comes with a digital copy too.  Tongue

Best of luck with the magazine.  I hope it succeeds in high enough numbers to continue on longer than the prior attempt at a Bitcoin publication.

@ istar - To some extent, I agree with you.  OTOH, a stark cover like this will draw attention to it very quickly when it is seated among racks of magazines all garnering for a person's attention.  You know what they say - any publicity is good publicity.  Or something like that.  At any rate, I think at this stage in the game, it's still more about getting the word out there than making it look good.  Making people curious about it should be the #1 priority.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 08:36:26 AM

Nice work, a successful magazine will certainly add to credibility. Good luck, and I look forward to reading it.

Thank you! Much appreciated!

BTW, how does one access the digital copy? was I supposed to register on the site before buying it?

The digital copy does not support pre-orders on Bit-Pay, so I can only allow for that to be used after it is able to be downloaded immediately after. You can of cours get a free digital copy with the print copy as well.

Thank you!

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 08:41:51 AM

All perfectly good viewpoints that have been discussed thoroughly in our team. We recognize that in Brazil for example, this particular issue may never see a store window for obvious reasons. On the other hand, if I were new to bitcoin, I'd still pick this up on the front cover alone, and that was the main reasoning behind choosing such a provocative and well known image-- not to mention Bitcoin, Satoshi, Pirate Party and Anonymous all pretty much have a lot to do with each other anyway as far as I'm concerned.

Please make next issue focus on the positive sides that are accepted by the public.

It can feature ... Hitler

I appreciate your advice and I am a very outspoken person without fear of repercussions, but as long as I am Editor of the magazine, I'd prefer an Anonymous cover over Hitler anyday.

And is that an interview with Satoshi?
You'll have to wait and see!

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 08:43:26 AM

If Bitcoin ever takes off mainstream, this will be a collectors item akin to original Elvis memorabilia.  First volume of first season of first Bitcoin magazine ever printed?  Heck yes...  Especially with the low qty first edition print.

Just ordered a printed copy.  If it comes wrapped in plastic, I'm not sure I'll have the heart to open it.  Good thing it comes with a digital copy too.  Tongue

Best of luck with the magazine.  I hope it succeeds in high enough numbers to continue on longer than the prior attempt at a Bitcoin publication.

@ istar - To some extent, I agree with you.  OTOH, a stark cover like this will draw attention to it very quickly when it is seated among racks of magazines all garnering for a person's attention.  You know what they say - any publicity is good publicity.  Or something like that.  At any rate, I think at this stage in the game, it's still more about getting the word out there than making it look good.  Making people curious about it should be the #1 priority.

Someone has in fact asked me to provide them with a Mylar plastic wrapping and a certificate of authenticity of first printing ever of the #1 issue, but this kind of thing would require a much different arrangement and we're currently looking into it. This individual in question offered 1BTC more for the special service, but I am not so sure that would cover the costs.

I will find out.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 08:46:31 AM

Someone has in fact asked me to provide them with a Mylar plastic wrapping and a certificate of authenticity of first printing ever of the #1 issue, but this kind of thing would require a much different arrangement and we're currently looking into it. This individual in question offered 1BTC more for the special service, but I am not so sure that would cover the costs.

I will find out.
I might be interested in that as well... no guarantees though.  Even the 1 BTC expenditure was a bit hard to swallow considering all of the bills I need to pay.
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2012, 08:47:12 AM

I forget who said it, but there was a comedian who said that you haven't made it until your have a magazine devoted to your race/class/cause/etc. Funny that it might actually be true still today.

Is it possible to order a copy for a friend?

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 08:55:56 AM

I forget who said it, but there was a comedian who said that you haven't made it until your have a magazine devoted to your race/class/cause/etc. Funny that it might actually be true still today.

Is it possible to order a copy for a friend?

Of course! You can pay now effortlessly through BitPay on our site as well.

http://bitcoinmagazine.net

coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 09:15:31 AM

If you can tell, there were a few 'easter eggs' in the 3rd page alone.

STFU... I like it. What other easter eggs are on that page?

ercolinux
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2012, 09:33:15 AM

That's absolutely a great idea. I'll order copy.

If you want to expand the digital copy distribution there is a nice platform for selfpublished ebooks here in Italy (simplicissimus.it). You can publish books, newspapers and periodic like your for a small fee and they sold them on 27 online stores, like amazon applestore and 3 of the mayor italian publishing houses stores (and no I'm not involved but only a happy customer).

Bitrated user: ercolinux.
triox

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 10:56:36 AM

Hi, I'm trying to buy February 2012, Issue 1, Print + Digital (INTERNATIONAL) with BTC, but the country keeps defaulting to United States. Undecided As a result Buyer Information on the invoice doesn't even contain a country field. Please advice.
Timbo925

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 10:57:33 AM

subscribing.

Hope to download it soon !
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2012, 11:36:46 AM

I have a question about the international orders, I was planning to order a good amount of the first issue with my friends to save on shipping costs but it seems that the shipping costs are linear, which is very strange. I would also like to know if there is a possibility of a discount if one orders 10x of the first issue for example.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2012, 11:45:12 AM
Last edit: January 25, 2012, 12:02:56 PM by Technomage

One other point I would like to make is that you should really think about the "12 magazines per year" plan, it could be a problem. It's very important to take into account the rate at which things happen in the Bitcoin world, it makes sense that you have an excess amount of articles right now but if you put out one huge magazine every month, I can make a wager that you'll run into content problems in 6 months at the latest.

One option is to slow down a little and put out a magazine once you're comfortable that you already have enough content for the next two. That is probably the case right now but if you're planning 12 issues, then it's important to plan well. It would not be good if you promise 12 solid issues in 12 months and after the first 3 you start running out of good content. It has happened with so many niche magazines over the years, make sure you don't hit this iceberg.

Edit: I'm not actually sure if you have even mentioned that you plan to release an issue every month, perhaps I made that up. It's an important issue anyway.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Twister Trojan

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2012, 01:33:34 PM

A paper magazine, in the United States, in the year 2012? Ummm, kay. Barnes & Noble may survive another year or so before they turn completely into a non-profit chain of Amazon Reading Rooms Wink

Last paragraph summarizes current conditions.

Barnes & Noble May Exit Tablets, Warns On Earnings
http://news.investors.com/Article/596818/201201051613/barnes-noble-may-sell-nook-tablet-business.htm

Purely out of curiosity, what does a vanity press run of 2000 copies cost these days anyway?
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 »
  Print  

Jump to: