Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:58:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-order Bitcoin Magazine - Quality control, final revisions on proofs  (Read 93667 times)
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 10:50:21 AM
Last edit: April 23, 2012, 11:28:46 AM by Matthew N. Wright

Since my comment has been erased from the online edition of the magazine, I have no other choice but to post here about the "newbies" review of wallet options.
One again, I am writing this because the reviewer is using the name of the service my colleagues and I have decided to offer to the bitcoin community for free, namely instawallet, as title to his review.

He is citing as "disadvantages" the following:
 "You have to trust the provider not to be careless or malicious" Isn't it true of just ANY third party provider ?
When I am using the bitcoin client I am trusting the developers to be  not malicious nor careless.

It's an OPTION offered to everyone, not an obligation nor a "disadvantage", unless you ASSUME the provider to be careless, which in our case is totally unjustified
A review is not supposed to qualify as "disadvantages", options that are offered to users.
Otherwise, he could just by the same logic qualify as a "disadvantage" the option to control one's own keys because EVERYBODY can be careless at times in handling them.

I have no idea why your comment was deleted if it indeed was, because commenting on the article page is the correct way to dispute issues with an article and its contents. It allows not only the author of the article but the community to know the truth and allows everyone to react accordingly with the correct information.

That said, I am not entirely sure what you are arguing here, although I understand if your comment was removed for some reason that you would want to voice your opinion in this thread. Can you create another thread of discussion about this and post the link here? I would also like to get to the bottom of this and most importantly I would like to find out what exactly it is you're talking about.

EDIT:

[8:21:53 PM] Vitalik Buterin: [...] changed to "You have to trust the provider not to be careless or malicious to a much greater extent than any other solution, since no one can audit any code and the provider (or someone hacking the provider) can potentially decide to run away with everyone’s funds at a moment’s notice"

EDIT 2: Apparently the article had to be reformatted at one point (probably due to the translations we are adding) and it caused all comments to be removed (not just yours).

In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 11:25:25 AM

It's great to see that the magazine will really be shipping "soon". I remember on Feb 9th, 2012 when I paid for the first issue that it would be shipping "soon". It's great to see how much progress has been made. Wait a minute . . . there hasn't been any progress. Forget it. Go back to mining, trading, arbitrage, alt coins etc.

Thats the bottom line.  If nothing was paid for in advance nobody would complain ( ok , there probably would be some trolls that would complain even then Smiley   )

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 11:29:35 AM

It's great to see that the magazine will really be shipping "soon". I remember on Feb 9th, 2012 when I paid for the first issue that it would be shipping "soon". It's great to see how much progress has been made. Wait a minute . . . there hasn't been any progress. Forget it. Go back to mining, trading, arbitrage, alt coins etc.

Thats the bottom line.  If nothing was paid for in advance nobody would complain ( ok , there probably would be some trolls that would complain even then Smiley   )

Heard loud and clear. You'll have the news you're looking for this week.  Wink

N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 11:38:29 AM

Wow, this thread is three months old now! Shocked
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 12:00:00 PM

Wow, this thread is three months old now! Shocked
Let's have a little party Smiley

Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2012, 01:11:12 PM

"You have to trust the provider not to be careless or malicious" Isn't it true of just ANY third party provider ?
When I am using the bitcoin client I am trusting the developers to be  not malicious nor careless.
With open source software you have the option to download the sources, check and compile them by yourself (or doing so using the services offered by a third party if you prefer).

So, if you want, you can be 100% sure there is no malicious code and you do not have to trust the developers or anybody else.

With services offered via a web site you can't: you always need to trust someone else not chosen by you.

And that's not an negligible difference, if you ask me.

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 01:26:55 PM

When I am using the bitcoin client I am trusting the developers to be  not malicious nor careless.
With open source software you have the option to download the sources, check and compile them by yourself (or doing so using the services offered by a third party if you prefer).

So, if you want, you can be 100% sure there is no malicious code and you do not have to trust the developers or anybody else.

With services offered via a web site you can't: you always need to trust someone else not chosen by you.

And that's not an negligible difference, if you ask me.
I must have missed where I could compile my Android Bitcoin client. That's why I won't trust them with any large amount. Are you saying we should not trust any other clients other than open source at all?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2012, 01:37:42 PM

Are you saying we should not trust any other clients other than open source at all?
No, I didn't: where have you read this?

Some solution gives you more control, some less: only open source software gives you complete and total control.

You choose which one is suitable for you in relation of the amount of money you have to handle, and having more options too choose from it's usually better.

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 01:45:26 PM

Are you saying we should not trust any other clients other than open source at all?

Some solution gives you more control, some less: only open source software gives you complete and total control.

You choose which one is suitable for you in relation of the amount of money you have to handle, and having more options too choose from it's usually better.

More to the point, when you are one that gives less rather than more, you don't get butt-hurt about being called "less". You advertise it as "less".

Dansker

Activity: 740

Hello world!

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 05:14:14 PM

About time...

Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 05:44:32 PM

More to the point, when you are one that gives less rather than more, you don't get butt-hurt about being called "less". You advertise it as "less".

Hi Matthew, dont wanna blow smoke up your ass mate,
but didnt you promise not to troll anymore and focus on the magazine:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=76322.0

What was that, a TROLL POST?
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 05:46:57 PM

No. Trolling is harassing to get a rise out of people. I am responding to people. I might be responding in a more livid way since it's 3am here, but I'm not trolling.

If I were trolling, I wouldn't waste it on this thread. There are about 20 threads right now that are begging for it.

ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
April 23, 2012, 05:52:47 PM

No. Trolling is harassing to get a rise out of people. I am responding to people. I might be responding in a more livid way since it's 3am here, but I'm not trolling.

If I were trolling, I wouldn't waste it on this thread. There are about 20 threads right now that are begging for it.

+1

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2012, 06:41:14 PM

+1

You are so sick, Zodiak, giving a +1 to a post penned by a man who's clearly going through trolling withdrawals.

Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 12:25:27 AM

Hi Matthew, dont wanna blow smoke up your ass mate,
but didnt you promise not to troll anymore and focus on the magazine:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=76322.0

He was trolling when he made that promise.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
April 25, 2012, 12:27:25 AM

+1

You are so sick, Zodiak, giving a +1 to a post penned by a man who's clearly going through trolling withdrawals.

Was it something I said? Trololololol. Matt is working hard. And some day, we are going to turn around, and he is going to be in the corner, doing stuff

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2012, 02:24:44 AM
Last edit: April 25, 2012, 03:59:52 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

May, June or July, or should we layout that last?
BitLucky

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 06:06:02 PM

WTF is going on with this magazine?? there is enough **** out there to write a book about bitcoin, let alone a damn magazine  !
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 06:24:20 PM

Heard loud and clear. You'll have the news you're looking for this week.  Wink
The week.  It is almost up.
Dansker

Activity: 740

Hello world!

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 08:23:21 PM

Well, at least I got my Coineer magazine now.

So it did end up being the first physical bitcoin magazine after all...

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 »
  Print  

Jump to: