So what is going on with the development of the first MMO? Discussion about that will definitely get more people interested.
Yes, this is a very important aspect of this coin!
I agree. There are 5 areas of discussion which I would like to open up to the community. This is a community project and I don't want to just call all the shots:
1. Discussing the HYPER MMO game world and background story to the MMO
2. Game mechanics. Should it be real time? Do we want a strategy game, like a 4x MMO? This was actually my original vision but I am not sure if this would be too ambitious at this stage. My vision is for players to build and grow an intergalactic empire which earns them HYPER, and which will remain the same until the next time the player logs in. Players will also be able to interact and form alliances and trade agreements etc with other players. So we would end up with a huge HYPER universe of players and their empires. Later we could add features where players can explore the universe by piloting one of their ships around the galaxy etc in cockpit view. Players should be ble to choose from a number of alien races (or humans) to play as, and could perhaps also create a custom race. There will be artificial and biological races and some races will be able to thrive in different atmospheres to Earth's (for example sulphur based life).
3. Open source resources and frameworks to use. We need to start compiling open source space tools / graphics / images / designs which we can incorporate into the game. The game itself may be open source this is still to be decided. We could make the game closed source so that it is an asset of the HYPER community.
4. The coding foundation. I'll be honest with you guys we will probably need a professional that we pay well to manage this aspect. Suggestions on game engines and frameworks to look at are gratefully accepted.
5. Any HYPER profits from the game could be compounded back into the market stabilization fund or other HYPER projects. While the game will earn HYPER for players, they will also be able to purchase game upgrades such as extra worlds and technologies etc for HYPER.
Should we have this discussion here or shall I open threads on the HYPER forum?
Any feedback gratefully accepted
Feedback will be incorporated into a preliminary document. A wiki might be a good way to discuss these aspects of the game and perhaps I should set one up. Remember that anyone is welcome to join the discussion, and contribute their unique skillset and passions.
This is a long term project guys so I don't think it is responsible to have ETAs yet as we are still establishing the fundamentals of the game.