Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:13:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 ... 233 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] sgminer v5 - optimized X11/X13/NeoScrypt/Lyra2RE/etc. kernel-switch miner  (Read 877795 times)
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 12:42:56 PM

Running 8x R9 290X is going to cost $300/month in electricity to make maybe .5 BTC at most; and now that BTC is in the shitter at $420/USD we're losing nearly 30% by mining alone.

It'd be nice for some of the dedicated and die-hard supporters of the thread to band together and see what we can do about it, but you're right, by more people having a higher hashrate - everybody loses.

What a conundrum.

Maybe time to go for the new maxwell 9xx series with their low powerconsumption( gtx 970 vs 290x =100watt less)
About their hashrates we have to see yet.

At this point I don't think it makes any sense to invest in any new GPU hardware unless it gave a dozen times the current hashrate of a current top-end card for the same electricity. Even the leasing market seems to have dried up, at least in my neck of the woods. I'm mining at a loss, rationalizing it based on the fact that the weather has turned cooler so I'm getting some benefit from the heat produced again. (Propane costs in my area ran way higher than electrical heating costs last winter.)

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
platinum4

Activity: 547
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 01:33:38 PM

Right?  Aren't we mostly here since we reverse-engineered girino's original darkcoin-mod.cl?

Remember our roots people.

If Wolf0 shares; he shares.  That'd be nice, but it seems right now there's no explicit reason to do so.

Hopefully in the future.
semajjames

Activity: 528
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 07:25:48 PM

So when it comes to a raise in mh/s against a raise in wu am i right in thinking that i would take the drop in mh/s and keep the raise in wu ?
phzi

Activity: 700

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 07:46:29 PM

He's been lucky so far - someone will probably reverse engineer it and steal it.
If wolf0 doesn't actually contribute something to this thread, then can a mod hurry up and step in here?  

This thread is supposed to be about sgminer v5, not wolf0's private unreleased optimizations and bragging rights...  Like wow...
phzi

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 08:27:00 PM

He's been lucky so far - someone will probably reverse engineer it and steal it.
If wolf0 doesn't actually contribute something to this thread, then can a mod hurry up and step in here?  

This thread is supposed to be about sgminer v5, not wolf0's private unreleased optimizations and bragging rights...  Like wow...

It's served its purpose - it was advertisement, not bragging rights. I assumed, correctly, that some farmers read threads like these - therefore I posted.
Fine... trying to advertise still seems totally off topic and inappropriate for this thread.

This is GPLv3 software.  If you're going to modify it and not release it, then just keep it to yourself and don't talk about it.  If you're going to talk about it, then honor the nature of the project and release the source code for your modifications...  Many have come before Wolf0 to create the sgminer we have today, and you don't see floating around advertising their unreleased modifications.  If you want to release a private miner, then develop it from scratch and license it how you want.
platinum4

Activity: 547

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 09:16:47 PM

I agree with phzi too; kinda being a dick about it Wolf0.  You're just building on others' hard work.
phzi

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 12:14:26 AM
Last edit: September 20, 2014, 12:47:02 AM by phzi

phzi, your attitude (about "nature of the project" saying release source) embodies exactly WHY most of the algorithms in SGMiner mine so slowly: You act entitled to other people's work - just like the people who stole from girino. You, and people like you, are the reason why most good devs don't dare spend time writing code to be used by all miners. And it seems like no one wants to say that. There are all sorts of people on this board who are amazing at this - but they figure they'd be wasting their time. I'll probably get hated on, but there it is.
That's simply a gross misrepresentation of the facts.  I've never said I'm entitled to anybody's work, nor have I acted like that.  It's simple - if you're using other people's work that they have licensed in a specific way, then you should respect those licenses.  What I said about releasing source is plain and simple - gtfo out of here with your advertising and subtle attempts to get people to contact you and buy your private modifications to an open source project...

Or, build your own miner from scratch and license it how you want.

You must just trying to point the finger at me for absolute bullshit because you're acting very distastefully and want to distract from that.

Also - stole from girino?  LOL... nothing wrong with reverse engineering software.  It definitely was not stealing - you're misusing words.  Specifically when what girino built was an extension to something that, again, is licensed GPLv3...

I'm not saying you shouldn't profit from your work.  I'm saying stop being a dick.
phzi

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 12:57:49 AM

"Nothing wrong with reverse engineering software." -- there it is again. You're using the GPL as an excuse is what you're doing - "I want this for free, so this is how I rationalize taking it."
What?  My comment about reverse engineering had nothing to do with the GPLv3...  Nor did I talk about free things, did I?  I simply said that if you release something (sell it to me, give it to me for free, whatever), and there isn't something in the terms of sale or license that prohibits me from reverse engineering that, then I am free to do so.

Now, girino used the code in violation of the license - which was also wrong. But it doesn't mean ripping apart his work and using it for free was any better.
Yes, it does.  Girino violated the license (illegal).  Someone else reverse engineered a binary (totally legal) that was released publicly.

I would be a dick if I came here just to taunt people with something they couldn't have - but I didn't.
But you did taunt people with something they couldn't have.... yeesh... in example:

Quote from: Wolf0
you would be better to show the source code of the people and not your ability to hvastatsya programirovat
If you're good at something... well, you know the end of the quote.

Proof of 7.1MH/s on 290 (nsfw, as usual): https://ottrbutt.com/tmp/x11290wolf.png
That doesn't look like taunting to you?

I came here with a clear goal in mind
Intentions don't mean anything.  What you do, does.

I AM respecting the license, by the by.
But you're not respecting the spirit of this miner or this thread, and that's what is so offensive and backhanded.  I mean damn, look at the origin of this thread - it's about nicehash spurring open and public development.

Now, stop trying to throw shit at me that doesn't make any sense.  If you're going to try to argue with me, then at least do it with some facts behind you.  Don't try to tell me that something that is legal is bad and something that is illegal is fine...

Anyway, if you're planning on saying nothing more about your private improvements, then I guess the case it reasonably moot.  Bye.
phzi

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 01:44:12 AM
Last edit: September 20, 2014, 02:27:49 AM by phzi

Don't try to tell you that something legal is bad and something illegal is fine? Now that is an argument that has no leg to stand on. Legal and illegal are decided by people. Often people with motives other than serving the common good, and even if they were incorruptible, as people, they can make mistakes! There are MANY unjust laws, all around the world. So your assertion that legal == right and illegal == wrong is total horseshit.

But, let's play that game. What I'm doing is completely legal, so you shouldn't have shit to say. Or, is there something you think is wrong about it, regardless of legality? Something wrong, like taking someone else's hard work and distributing it for free? You're basing your argument on faulty assumptions.
Sigh... you are just so fail wolf0... that's what you've got?  I never asserted what you claim... dude, wtf? Learn to read, man.  I never ever said right == legal.  Also, we were specifically talking about software licencing, so your moral rant was just way out there.

Reverse engineering is legal. If you're not competant enough to obfuscate binaries, or you release binaries without strict licencing, then expect them to get ripped off...

Your arguing about nothing now.  You're just trying to distract from the point.  It's just sad how you ignore all the points I make, and choose one thing in each post to miss interpret and rant about.

I sure as hell don't come in here talking about my best hashrates without sharing how I did it - I shut up if I don't want to share. Because, apparently unlike you, I am not a dick.
phzi

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 02:23:58 AM

You actually did assert that - at least indirectly: "Don't try to tell me that something that is legal is bad and something that is illegal is fine..."
What I said is nothing like what you said...  Thanks for quoting me - put it next to what you said, it isn't an indirect assertion of what you said at all.  Damn, lrn 2 logic?

But let's go on with your fantasy that I'm not making any points whatsoever; it's like talking to a brick wall.
I said you were ignoring my points... convenient you ignore that point too, lol...  And you say it's like talking to brick wall.

By the way, you ARE a dick. You're defending what is essentially taking revenue away from someone who deserves it. That makes you worse than a dick. That makes you cancer.
Huh?  What exactly am I defending?  And who do you think deserves revenue?  You or gringo for making minor modifications to a huge long standing community project?  What kind of arrogant shit are you?

Oh wait... I know exactly...  The kind that boasts about things that are fairly trivial, pointlessly throws more gcc optimization flags at his builds then you can shake a stick at, and then shows up around these forums to gloat regularly.  Oh, and thinks he "deserves" revenue.  Wolf0.
phzi

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 03:46:57 AM

You actually did assert that - at least indirectly: "Don't try to tell me that something that is legal is bad and something that is illegal is fine..."
What I said is nothing like what you said...  Thanks for quoting me - put it next to what you said, it isn't an indirect assertion of what you said at all.  Damn, lrn 2 logic?

But let's go on with your fantasy that I'm not making any points whatsoever; it's like talking to a brick wall.
I said you were ignoring my points... convenient you ignore that point too, lol...  And you say it's like talking to brick wall.

By the way, you ARE a dick. You're defending what is essentially taking revenue away from someone who deserves it. That makes you worse than a dick. That makes you cancer.
Huh?  What exactly am I defending?  And who do you think deserves revenue?  You or gringo for making minor modifications to a huge long standing community project?  What kind of arrogant shit are you?

Oh wait... I know exactly...  The kind that boasts about things that are fairly trivial, pointlessly throws more gcc optimization flags at his builds then you can shake a stick at, and then shows up around these forums to gloat regularly.  Oh, and thinks he "deserves" revenue.  Wolf0.

Minor modifications like replacing two algorithms outright because apparently no one else who saw it saw anything wrong with it.

Anyone can write a shell for a miner - it takes a long time and it's tedious and boring, sure - actually coding the important parts well takes skill. You think it's so minor and simple? Come on, hit my hashrate yourself, then. I've got plenty more ideas to try out, so if you think you can do it better, then get to it! Otherwise, sit down, shut up, and realize that people who do skilled work should be paid for it.

You sit there, probably having mined X11/X13/X15 at some point yourself, talking about how minor and trivial optimizing it is - well, show me.
Unlike you, I don't need to brag about my private accomplishments... I don't have any personal need to show you - that's you with a piece missing inside that causes you to seek external validation.

And yes, I consider this stuff trivial for a skilled developer.  Congrats, you made something fairly unoptimized more optimized... it isn't hard.
semajjames

Activity: 528

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 09:18:03 AM

Hi
    How does a .conf file become corrupt and unreadable Huh

This is what cgwatcher said about my .conf file today and when i open the file with windows note pad the file was blank

cheers
BrewCrewFan

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 03:59:04 PM

Is this what we become in this community? First, I know I have donated from time to time, mostly the new algo coins that came out in the past. The greedy fucks that take the miner algos and use but at least dont toss a few of that coin at the devs , shame on you. It takes nothing out from at least donating a hours worth and donate that to the miner algos devs. This encourages them to keep on working . ( now I am not saying that those algo or coins wont become worthless but you get the point... the attempt is what counts )

I even notice this at pools too... no one donates anymore. Granted, I may set mine to .5% or something like that but over the hours it adds up... but many of the top hashers dont even bother...

Free SIGNs giving everyday. Be part, do not miss!.
SqMe5ceYfdcGsRyVpgvpYb6bRLS9j8omvB

XChat : Addy : XYuZESQpeMtZ2wit8nVVnXKGytfiaTBCo6 PubKey : eteshLzeq8Bh54BRjGSunMTc6Ytxtk7HYaSmDYMQn61z
AdamWhite

Activity: 605

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 05:11:41 PM

It's served its purpose - it was advertisement, not bragging rights. I assumed, correctly, that some farmers read threads like these - therefore I posted.
Fine... trying to advertise still seems totally off topic and inappropriate for this thread.

This is GPLv3 software.  If you're going to modify it and not release it, then just keep it to yourself and don't talk about it.  If you're going to talk about it, then honor the nature of the project and release the source code for your modifications...  Many have come before Wolf0 to create the sgminer we have today, and you don't see floating around advertising their unreleased modifications.  If you want to release a private miner, then develop it from scratch and license it how you want.

+1

pretty tired of the endless "look what i can do"

kindly advertise elsewhere
Demontager

Activity: 60
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 06:28:14 PM

Guys, please give advice. How should i compile sgminer 5 for mining on multipools (trademybit, nicehash) now ? Is it below correct ?
Code:
git clone -b v5_0 https://github.com/sgminer-dev/sgminer.git
cd sgminer
git submodule init
git submodule update
autoreconf -i
CFLAGS="-O2 -Wall -march=native" ./configure
make

And second questions, which drivers are the best for mining on r9 270 on Linux ?
kotarius

Activity: 340

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 06:50:44 PM

+1

pretty tired of the endless "look what i can do"

kindly advertise elsewhere

He probably will stop when it stops working. So far we have two facts:

1. People don't donate to free software, no matter how much we "shame" them.
2. Large miners browse these forums who want faster miner software and are willing to pay for it.
phzi

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 06:52:31 PM

Unlike you, I don't need to brag about my private accomplishments... I don't have any personal need to show you - that's you with a piece missing inside that causes you to seek external validation.

And yes, I consider this stuff trivial for a skilled developer.  Congrats, you made something fairly unoptimized more optimized... it isn't hard.

Oh, right, the old "I've done it a dozen times better than you, but I don't need to show you because I'm better than that."

What you mean to say is, you don't have jack shit, and I do. Talk is cheap - if you could code your way out of a wet paper bag, you'd have something.
When I read wolf0's responses, I keep wondering if he quoted the wrong post lol.... hillarious how he keeps making up his own wild interpretations of what I said, because obviously he doesn't have any response to what I actually wrote.

I tell you, if wolf0 codes anything like he communicates, I wouldn't touch anything he developed with a 10ft pole.  Good thing his shitty XMR optimizations (woo! Mostly adding gcc flags is so hard!) were quickly dwarfed by far superior software that was developed from scratch by a real coder - not some want-to-be braggariet.
kotarius

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 06:57:11 PM

I tell you, if wolf0 codes anything like he communicates, I wouldn't touch anything he developed with a 10ft pole.  Good thing his shitty XMR optimizations (woo! Mostly adding gcc flags is so hard!) were quickly dwarfed by far superior software that was developed from scratch by a real coder - not some want-to-be braggariet.

Where can I get a miner for linux that hashes x11 at > 4.8mh on a 7950 other than from wolf?
qwep
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 07:01:41 PM

Where can I get a miner for linux that hashes x11 at > 4.8mh on a 7950 other than from wolf?
anywhere he did not publish
kotarius

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 07:04:40 PM

anywhere he did not publish

What does this even mean?
Pages: « 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 ... 233 »
  Print  

Jump to: