Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:02:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 [210] 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 ... 1993 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NEM (XEM) Official Thread - 100% New Code - Easy To Use APIs  (Read 2984117 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
patmast3r

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 05:55:11 PM

Thank you guys for testing and giving feedback. Right now that is one of the most important things a stakeholder can do Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crackerhead

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

My Head is a Ritz

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2014, 08:39:54 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2014, 09:30:05 PM by crackerhead

That NIS/NCC thing is a bit confusing, i don't even know if one has to know which one is what, people just want that when you click on the nem client icon, your wallet has to open, simple as that.

Right now, if you don't notice the monitor in the tray, you may go mad quick, mostly because launching the monitor does not open your browser to the the online client. Not even a right click option on monitor to quick open the page. It's like you are so concentrated on the tech part that you forget the obvious  Cheesy

Funny thing is that if u stop ncc and run it again, it does launch the online wallet  Smiley

Now i like that nem is working on a cold wallet (had a bit of a hard time finding where the wallet was stored though lol, c:/users/you/nem/ncc, wallet is *.wlt)

Alpha Client is f*cking great, better than many already launched coins (which i will not mention Smiley)

I also agree with the NCC/NIS naming, it can be confusing at first glance. In my opinion, NCC should be named something more simple, like NEM Client/wallet, and NIS should be something like NEM Server. The acronyms make it look nice and tidy, but most new people will instantly be turned off by it. I think it would be best to relate NCC/NIS to something the average joe has used before. Maybe even just call NCC/NIS something like the NEM package.

But I also agree, that regardless of what it is called, it is working great!
The naming of stuff is what we get to talk about when everything else is running so smoothly  Smiley

NEM.io         blog.NEM.io        r/ourNEM
jkoil

Activity: 834
Merit: 524

Nxt NEM

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 10:10:54 PM

Okay I'm going to post my criticisms of the new release of the NEM client here because I know the devs are looking here as well and this is where I post most often.

First of all, the names "NIS" and "NCC" are 100% most definitely going to be too confusing for the average user. The only thing that the average user needs to care about or be concerned with is the NEM Community Client. When someone wants to use NEM, they are going to want the wallet to install and load without any trouble or effort.

So, here are my impressions that I had (and I'm pretending to be a first-time, clueless user here). The initial file download was fine, and running it worked flawlessly. However, there was no notification anywhere that an icon had been placed in my system tray. At this point we have probably already lost a majority of first-time users.

Ignoring that, I continued on. I clicked to start NIS, and again received little to no notification that anything was happening until I checked the system tray menu again to see that it was indeed connecting and booting up. Eventually, after waiting a few minutes it seems to have connected but again no notification of this or anything and I kept having to manually check to see what was happening. The average user is going to click, and when nothing happens, get instantly frustrated and probably immediately forget about it or kill the program completely and uninstall it right then and there.

Okayyyy so now that NIS is connected I went to start the NCC. Well, I clicked on Start NCC and got a popup dialog (which is nice, finally some notification that something is happening) but it quickly disappeared and nothing else happened. No launch of the client whatsoever as far as I can tell. I tried many more times and got nothing at all. This could be due to my having the previous version of the NCC installed so I am going to test removing that first and re-installing NEM-Monitor and trying again, then I will continue writing this report.

Okay, just went through the same process and got the NIS running again. But, still no luck on getting the NCC to run. I got the Java pop-up asking if I wanted to authorize the program to run, downloaded the package, saw the NCC splash screen for a moment and the progress bar load, but then the splash screen closed and no NCC to be found. When I check the system tray icon, it says NCC is not running. Same thing happens when I try running it again.

Now I'm starting to think it could be a Java issue, so I'm downloading the latest Java 8 runtime and I'll try again and see if it works after I do that.

Still no luck. Every time I attempt to launch the NCC I get the splash screen, and the icon in the task tray changes to show the lower-right segment of the NEM logo change to yellow, but then it immediately goes back to only the lower-left segment illuminated green (which I assume means that only the NIS is running). So, something is happening that is causing the NCC not to launch. Are there any logs stored anywhere I could look at to see what's going on?

i agree with all of this except the ncc started for me on the third go..

tbh, to make it 100% user friendly, NIS and NCC should be run automatically.. as in, double click the tray bar icon to automatically start client, when a user right clicks 4 options appear.. "start client", "stop client", "exit" and "options"

"start client" automatically opens a splash loading window that should stay open with a loading bar, then it runs NIS and once thats started then automatically runs NCC and opens the browser... the loading bar status should be all of this included in one loading bar on the same window. so once the first loading bar is complete, the client opens in the browser. 1 - 2 clicks should do all this.. so double click tray icon - splash window appears - load load load - splash window disappears - client opens.

"stop client" should turn of both NIS and NCC but leave the tray bar icon as is. (this option should be greyed out while NIS and NCC are not running.) also when this is selected, a notice should appear in the browser client to say that NIS and NCC is not running.

"exit" stops both NIS and NCC if they are running and closes tray bar icon so it does not show.

"options" should be something like uninstall client(NIS and/or NCC), and "get help" which will lead to a help file with FAQ's and links to places where people can ask questions if FAQ's doesnt help.

also perhaps "advanced" should be in the "options" menu, which may contain things like "start NIS, start only NCC, start only NCC, connect to remote NIS and any other options for more advanced users.

devs dont be offended by any of this criticism, its constructive and not meant as a dig in any way at all.. Smiley you have all done a friggin amazing job!

i might even uninstall it and get my mum to try and install and run it.. then il take note of every little thing she gets caught on and post a log here.. Smiley if she can download, install and run the client with out a hicup.. we are in business.. Cheesy lol

Good comments about features
and a good note about sw development.... As it may be difficult to make a product, which user interface has strong appeal and user-friendliness among non-crypto-users, the "common" people, who are not familiar with all the terms, procedures and concepts, which are used in crypto world, and maybe not so familiar with the computers either.

Ofc, the software must be first "sold" to the crypto-people.
After that there will be (some?) time to make the sw more suitable also to common people. But this 2nd development phase will be the crucial one; coz then will start the competition to win the masses of users.
And, for those common people may be difficult to make the correct UI Smiley ... they see things differently; something is an important feature for them but not an essential issue for tech people. Some little feature may crack the future of the sw, that has been seen with the mobile devices Smiley

amytheplanarshift

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 11:39:29 PM

One other thing I've noticed now that I've received some NEM (thanks Parana!) is that the message related to harvesting should be a bit more clear that it takes a certain number of confirmations before you can begin harvesting after you receive your very first NEM in your wallet. NXT handles this well for example in that it says "Your effective balance is zero, you cannot forge. (Effective balance is your balance after 1440 block confirmations)."

The message for NEM now is: "The provided account does not satisfy the basic criteria for harvesting. Mainly it is related to the amount of NEMs within the account. Harvesting starts with at least 1000 NEM."

However, for someone who is new to crypto they are going to be confused because as it stands I have a balance of more than 1000 NEM, it's just that I do not have the required number of confirmations to begin harvesting yet. A new user is not going to know this and they might think something is wrong with their wallet which will lead to confusion (which is definitely something we want to avoid if at all possible).

So, I suggest a message closer to the one used in the NXT wallet because it clearly informs the user how many confirmations they will need on their first deposit before they can begin harvesting. Smiley

http://nem.io/
XEM: NBT6RQ-B2K3DN-EB3BDF-TUE3FT-SBDCJJ-L4PCX5-GKL6
jkoil

Activity: 834
Merit: 524

Nxt NEM

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 11:43:17 PM

The message for NEM now is: "The provided account does not satisfy the basic criteria for harvesting. Mainly it is related to the amount of NEMs within the account. Harvesting starts with at least 1000 NEM."
So, I suggest a message closer to the one used in the NXT wallet because it clearly informs the user how many confirmations they will need on their first deposit before they can begin harvesting. Smiley

Agree.
I was also wondering that note, when harvesting was not started Smiley
SomethingElse

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Looking for the next big thing

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 03:16:58 AM

Okay I'm going to post my criticisms of the new release of the NEM client here because I know the devs are looking here as well and this is where I post most often.

First of all, the names "NIS" and "NCC" are 100% most definitely going to be too confusing for the average user. The only thing that the average user needs to care about or be concerned with is the NEM Community Client. When someone wants to use NEM, they are going to want the wallet to install and load without any trouble or effort.

So, here are my impressions that I had (and I'm pretending to be a first-time, clueless user here). The initial file download was fine, and running it worked flawlessly. However, there was no notification anywhere that an icon had been placed in my system tray. At this point we have probably already lost a majority of first-time users.

Ignoring that, I continued on. I clicked to start NIS, and again received little to no notification that anything was happening until I checked the system tray menu again to see that it was indeed connecting and booting up. Eventually, after waiting a few minutes it seems to have connected but again no notification of this or anything and I kept having to manually check to see what was happening. The average user is going to click, and when nothing happens, get instantly frustrated and probably immediately forget about it or kill the program completely and uninstall it right then and there.

Okayyyy so now that NIS is connected I went to start the NCC. Well, I clicked on Start NCC and got a popup dialog (which is nice, finally some notification that something is happening) but it quickly disappeared and nothing else happened. No launch of the client whatsoever as far as I can tell. I tried many more times and got nothing at all. This could be due to my having the previous version of the NCC installed so I am going to test removing that first and re-installing NEM-Monitor and trying again, then I will continue writing this report.

Okay, just went through the same process and got the NIS running again. But, still no luck on getting the NCC to run. I got the Java pop-up asking if I wanted to authorize the program to run, downloaded the package, saw the NCC splash screen for a moment and the progress bar load, but then the splash screen closed and no NCC to be found. When I check the system tray icon, it says NCC is not running. Same thing happens when I try running it again.

Now I'm starting to think it could be a Java issue, so I'm downloading the latest Java 8 runtime and I'll try again and see if it works after I do that.

Still no luck. Every time I attempt to launch the NCC I get the splash screen, and the icon in the task tray changes to show the lower-right segment of the NEM logo change to yellow, but then it immediately goes back to only the lower-left segment illuminated green (which I assume means that only the NIS is running). So, something is happening that is causing the NCC not to launch. Are there any logs stored anywhere I could look at to see what's going on?

i agree with all of this except the ncc started for me on the third go..

tbh, to make it 100% user friendly, NIS and NCC should be run automatically.. as in, double click the tray bar icon to automatically start client, when a user right clicks 4 options appear.. "start client", "stop client", "exit" and "options"

"start client" automatically opens a splash loading window that should stay open with a loading bar, then it runs NIS and once thats started then automatically runs NCC and opens the browser... the loading bar status should be all of this included in one loading bar on the same window. so once the first loading bar is complete, the client opens in the browser. 1 - 2 clicks should do all this.. so double click tray icon - splash window appears - load load load - splash window disappears - client opens.

"stop client" should turn of both NIS and NCC but leave the tray bar icon as is. (this option should be greyed out while NIS and NCC are not running.) also when this is selected, a notice should appear in the browser client to say that NIS and NCC is not running.

"exit" stops both NIS and NCC if they are running and closes tray bar icon so it does not show.

"options" should be something like uninstall client(NIS and/or NCC), and "get help" which will lead to a help file with FAQ's and links to places where people can ask questions if FAQ's doesnt help.

also perhaps "advanced" should be in the "options" menu, which may contain things like "start NIS, start only NCC, start only NCC, connect to remote NIS and any other options for more advanced users.

devs dont be offended by any of this criticism, its constructive and not meant as a dig in any way at all.. Smiley you have all done a friggin amazing job!

i might even uninstall it and get my mum to try and install and run it.. then il take note of every little thing she gets caught on and post a log here.. Smiley if she can download, install and run the client with out a hicup.. we are in business.. Cheesy lol

Lots of great feedback in these two posts.  I guess the new version is a bit cluncky, but the vision of it and direction is awesome.  If this all get smoothed out, I am not sure any other crypto can competed.  Lots of future options too when I think about how this can be expanded and adapted.  Really cool direction from the devs, just got to make it all work everytime with one click and multiple OS and browsers. hahaha

NEM
xtester

Activity: 840

Risk taker & Black Swan farmer.

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 03:19:08 AM

Thank you guys for testing and giving feedback. Right now that is one of the most important things a stakeholder can do Smiley

Awesome work guys. Love the NEM monitor.  Cool

Edit: I first had a problem getting NCC to run. Just deleted everything except the wallet(wlt file) and it worked fine after that.
makoto1337
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

I am not Dorian Nakamoto.

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2014, 06:00:22 AM

http://www.enterstageright.com/archive/articles/0814/cryptocurrp6.htm

An article was posted detailing the history of NEM from December to February.    Search for: "From Bulldog To Populist"

From Bulldog To Populist

Late in the night of December 6th 2013 Eastern time, a new face joined the Bitcointalk community. It took him about a day before he started posting, but only several hours to shift from first-post to openly asking to buy 0.5 Bitcoin's worth of Nxt. He did ask some due-diligence-type questions around that time, but he was certainly interested in second-generation cryptocurrencies. And definitely interested in Nxt.

Waxing nostalgic about the good times in my younger days, half a year ago.

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓
                           ▄████████████████████████████████▄
                       ▄████████████████████████████████████████▄
                    ▌███████████████████████████████████████████████╒
                 ▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
               ▓█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
             ▓█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           ▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
          ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
         ███████████                                                ███████████▄
       ╒████████████                                                ▀███████████▄
       █████████████                                                ▀████████████▄
      ███████████████████████████████████      ███████████████████████████████████
     ████████████████████████████████████      ████████████████████████████████████
     ████████████████████████████████████      ████████████████████████████████████▄
    ▄███████████████╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╙       ╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧████████████████
    ████████████████                                                ▀███████████████
    ████████████████                                                ▀███████████████
    ████████████████████████████████████╝       ████████████████████████████████████
    ███████████████████████████████████          ███████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████▀            ▀█████████████████████████████████
    ▐███████████████████████████████       ▄▄       ███████████████████████████████▌
     █████████████████████████████▀       ████       ▀█████████████████████████████
     ╘███████████████████████████       ▄██████▄       ███████████████████████████▌
      ▀████████████████████████▀       ██████████       ▀█████████████████████████
       ▀██████████████████████╛      ╔████████████▄       ███████████████████████
        █████████████████████       ████████████████       ▀████████████████████
         ▀█████████████████╚      ╓██████████████████▄       █████████████████▀
           ██████████████▀       ▓█████████████████████       ▀██████████████╝
            ▀███████████╩       ████████████████████████▄       ███████████▀
              ▀████████       ▓███████████████████████████       ▀████████
                ▀████▐       ██████████████████████████████▄       ████▀
                  ╙▀       ▄█████████████████████████████████       ▀▐
                          ████████████████████████████████████▄
                         ▀████████████████████████████████████▀
                              ▀▀████████████████████████▀▀╛

Sora
| SoraTopia | SoraEconomy                                                    
/The Decentralized Autonomous Economy /
|
XOR
makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2014, 06:45:24 AM

I agree about the names NIS/NCC. It should all be transparent to the user I think.

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓
    ▄███████████████╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╙       ╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧╧████████████████
    ████████████████████████████████████╝       ████████████████████████████████████
    ███████████████████████████████████          ███████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████▀            ▀█████████████████████████████████
    ▐███████████████████████████████       ▄▄       ███████████████████████████████▌

Sora
|
XOR
luckygenough56
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1012

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 06:45:54 AM

Price action on Nxt AE, 27000 in a few hours. Dat wall buy 39.5 stake.
makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2014, 06:50:30 AM

Okay just wanted to post a quick update.

I managed to get the NCC running in Chrome just fine! I think perhaps it was an issue with the nem folder in my user folder on Windows from the previous version I had installed. I completely deleted that folder and then wiped everything via the Java control panel (I had done this before as well so I think it was the nem folder that was causing the issues).

The wallet is amazing once I got it running and is definitely a piece of eye candy to look at! All that needs to be done is getting the initial installation and startup process a bit more streamlined, but it's so close to being 100% perfect. This truly is the absolute most advanced cryptocurrency out there and we are still in Alpha... Really amazing stuff.

Great work devs!

EDIT: Also, I made a brand new wallet for testing this time around so I'm sitting at 0 NEM. If anyone could kindly throw some my way just for testing I'd be super grateful! Thanks! My address is in my sig. Smiley

EDIT 2: One more thing... I see some text in the Japanese translation that I think should be revised or that I think could be improved upon. Who do I need to inform of this?

There are some places where the translations don't make sense in context (not just for Japanese, but for other languages as well). Anyone can get the translations by editing the files here: https://github.com/NewEconomyMovement/NemCommunityClient/tree/master/nem-client-api/src/main/webapp/scripts/languages

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓

Sora
|
XOR
makoto1337
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2014, 06:51:05 AM

We'll have to raise prices for NEMsilver and NEMgold on the NXT asset exchange.

▄▄██████████████████▄▄╓

Sora
|
XOR
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 06:51:32 AM

What's driving the price up suddenly?
luckygenough56
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 07:01:31 AM

What's driving the price up suddenly?

Highly positive returns about the alpha i hope.

Those original nxt stakeholders can buy a shitload of NemStake like it's nothing...tsss
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2014, 07:10:50 AM

I've been traveling and didn't have my computer with me. After reading these comments, I'm really excited to get home and test this beta.

For the longest time before there was even an alpha, I tried to reassure people that NEM was real and the devs were serious. I had followed the nxt forum and so was very confident in this. Now I'm so happy to see this coming along.

patmast3r

Activity: 980

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 07:12:21 AM

I've been traveling and didn't have my computer with me. After reading these comments, I'm really excited to get home and test this beta.

For the longest time before there was even an alpha, I tried to reassure people that NEM was real and the devs were serious. I had followed the nxt forum and so was very confident in this. Now I'm so happy to see this coming along.

We're still in alpha Smiley

xtester

Activity: 840

Risk taker & Black Swan farmer.

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 07:29:03 AM

Still in alpha but getting closer and closer. Smiley
Istanbul34

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 07:39:17 AM

I think the price of NEM will drop to 16.000 - 18.000 NXT per stake the coming 1-2 weeks.

Because NXT will rise in this period. Thanks to their new update of the client with Digital Goods Store and some more new functions.

That's why NEM stakes will see a drop in the first half of August. The second half of August we will see a massive rise IMO.
Fasten your seatbelts in the NEM rollercoaster.

My prediction was nice. (Except NXT didn't rise a lot) (But the same effect was created by Bter theft)

Bought a stake @16.000 after 1 week when I wrote this.

The rise was not Massive. But I'm happy  Tongue
luckygenough56
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 07:58:57 AM

Still in alpha but getting closer and closer. Smiley

it's not an alpha, it's an über-alpha  Smiley

Brace yourself, hardfork is coming !
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
August 28, 2014, 08:53:38 AM

Where in the world is Kkot NEM?  What happened to Kkot NEM?   Huh

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=349781

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
Pages: « 1 ... 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 [210] 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 ... 1993 »
  Print  

Jump to: