Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 01:26:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenBazaar - decentralized eBay  (Read 41616 times)
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2015, 07:38:38 AM

I am HUGELY in favor of OpenBazaar .. but I'm not entirely sure how it will attract mainstream users to compete with eBay and Amazon. Mainstream users still use paypal and CC.  OpenBazaar will no doubt give darknet markets pause for concern, but I don't see mainstream users flocking to it, unfortunately. I hope I am WRONG

Bitmit was a bitcoin based ebay and it had a lot of users. There is definitely a need. Others pop up here and there but without everyone rallying around one service it does not have the seller and customer base needed to take off.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
TinEye

Activity: 639
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 07:42:56 AM

if they continue to rely on a arbiters you can't really call it true decentralization, right? why they cannot simply use an automatic services for escrow, a bot that is designed to do it instead of an human? how can someone be si sure that the arbiter will not run with money one day, after building trust? i don't like this third party system at all

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                                                                   ▄█████████                  ██████
                                                                   ███    ███                 ██   ██
         ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████    ██████████████████████   ████████▀
        ██            ▄█          █▄                 █▄          ███            █▄          █        ▄██▀
       ██            ██           ███                ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ███            ██   ▄▄▄▄▄  ██   █████▀
       ██   █████    ██   ████   ████   ██     ██    ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██    ██████   ██   ▀▀▀▀   ██   ████▀
      ██    █████   ██    ████   ████   ██     ██   ██          ███   ██████   ██          ██   ████▀
      ██            ██           ███   ███    ███   ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀███            ██    ▀▀▀▀▀▀██   ▀▀▀████
      ███           ██▄            █   ██     ██    ██▄          █             ▀█▄          ██      ███
       █████████   ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
      ██           ██
    ██▀           ███
  ████████████████▀
turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 08:18:01 AM

if they continue to rely on a arbiters you can't really call it true decentralization, right? why they cannot simply use an automatic services for escrow, a bot that is designed to do it instead of an human? how can someone be si sure that the arbiter will not run with money one day, after building trust? i don't like this third party system at all
How is a bot supposed to check, if a item arrived at the right place or if the quality is right? There are things, that bots, just can't do.
Also, the arbiter can not run with the money. Have you ever heard about multisig? Inform your self before posting BS.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 08:42:55 AM

How is a bot supposed to check, if a item arrived at the right place or if the quality is right? There are things, that bots, just can't do.
Also, the arbiter can not run with the money. Have you ever heard about multisig? Inform your self before posting BS.

what if the arbiter is a crazy scammer and is a friend of the senders of the item, and he don't want to give you back the second key you need to retrieve your money back? basically he will not be able to steal anything but, you will lose your money anyway

and the senders of the item will lose nothing

yes there is no reason to do that but it can happen, if you deal with crazy guys
turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 10:17:37 AM

what if the arbiter is a crazy scammer and is a friend of the senders of the item, and he don't want to give you back the second key you need to retrieve your money back? basically he will not be able to steal anything but, you will lose your money anyway

and the senders of the item will lose nothing

yes there is no reason to do that but it can happen, if you deal with crazy guys
An arbiter would destroy his whole reputation with that. For what? because he is crazy? Sorry, but that is a pretty stupid reason. And there is a difference between: it could happen and it will happen a lot. If you deal in the real world, there is always a risk, like being hit by an lightning bolt.
The question is not: Is it a complete perfect system, where nothing can go wrong?
The question is: Is it better, than a real existing alternative?

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 01:43:50 PM

They went the qualitative approach with escrow and disputes.. Ofcourse you can have locked escrow on either side or something like Peter todds nLockTime improvement which is better.. The onchain escrow implementations will be sufficient and trustless.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 01:54:25 PM

Humans seem to surrender a large chunk of their IQ when it comes to retail. It needs to be the dumbest and simplest crypto-related app of them all to really go places. Millions of eyes will glaze over at the first mention of escrows and standalone clients.

I'm sure it'll fill a great niche for those who are committed enough. Ebay or Amazon sure as shit won't be bricking themselves if it stays in its current form. I'm sure it'll inspire some interesting developments in the future.
newflesh

Activity: 630

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 03:09:49 PM

I am HUGELY in favor of OpenBazaar .. but I'm not entirely sure how it will attract mainstream users to compete with eBay and Amazon. Mainstream users still use paypal and CC.  OpenBazaar will no doubt give darknet markets pause for concern, but I don't see mainstream users flocking to it, unfortunately. I hope I am WRONG

Bitmit was a bitcoin based ebay and it had a lot of users. There is definitely a need. Others pop up here and there but without everyone rallying around one service it does not have the seller and customer base needed to take off.

Yeah I liked using Bitmit back in the day, never did find out why they decided to shut down.

Cryptothrift isn't a bad alternative, I've used them a lot recently but you're right they haven't got nowhere near as many buyers/sellers and as far as I can see.
chek2fire
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142

Intergalactic Conciliator

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 03:51:54 PM

I have for months my store there 'Pc Game Shop' for fun and i sell my pc games that i have no time to play them Tongue
I have done 5 or 6 attempts the past months to buy something without any luck. It seems that my orders never goes to the sellers. Today i have order again  ledger wallet from their shop but until now i didnt have any responce from them

http://www.bitcoin-gr.org
4411 804B 0181 F444 ADBD 01D4 0664 00E4 37E7 228E
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 04:05:17 PM

I think in the future the concept of escrow will be yet another work that gets replaced by technology, when decentralized trustless systems are perfected there will be no need for escrows anymore.
blablaace

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 04:31:35 PM

I'm ready to start using OpenBazaar .. where can i download the client?
Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Thug for life!

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 06:04:38 PM

Im trying to find the article where they secure funding for core development, if anyone please has a link to the press release I'll be great full.
newflesh

Activity: 630

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 07:19:07 PM

Im trying to find the article where they secure funding for core development, if anyone please has a link to the press release I'll be great full.

Here ya go: (pretty sure there was an article on coindesk)

http://www.businessinsider.com/openbazaar-gets-1-million-seed-round-from-andreessen-horowitz-union-square-ventures-2015-6

Two of tech's biggest venture capital funds, Andreessen Horowitz and Union Square Ventures, are investing $1 million into OpenBazaar, a wildly ambitious bitcoin startup that aims to create a decentralised, police-proof online marketplace where users can sell literally anything using bitcoin.

https://github.com/OpenBazaar/OpenBazaar

Build instructions here:  https://github.com/OpenBazaar/OpenBazaar/wiki/01.-Getting-Started
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 07:41:58 PM

can a p2p marketplace such as openbazaar do offer curating (linking) for dropship/reseller support like an onchain one can?

Just finished it up this morning:
https://github.com/syscoin/syscoin/commit/c10de50
https://github.com/syscoin/syscoin/commit/3e920e6
knowhow

Activity: 560

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 09:09:19 PM

well they made the first step they wanna introduce bitcoin to others... allow all to buy and sell,soo with a support we will see bazaar rocking on the next years...people already buying and selling some things for bitcoin soo this will maximize the buy and sell offers and focus all at one place Grin
Bitcoininspace

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 09:20:56 PM

I wonder if they know at all when this is gonna be up and running approximately?
shogdite

Activity: 798

LIR Dev. www.letitride.io

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 09:24:37 PM

I wonder if they know at all when this is gonna be up and running approximately?

It's not. It was all a dream!

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRideINNOVATIVE ▬▬▬
DICE GAME
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
PROVABLY
F A I R
▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
BUY  BACK
PLANS
[BTC]
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 02:11:39 AM

You can use https://provistor.com/ to use OpenBazaar without having to install anything.

Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036

Thug for life!

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 04:44:37 AM

Here ya go: (pretty sure there was an article on coindesk)

http://www.businessinsider.com/openbazaar-gets-1-million-seed-round-from-andreessen-horowitz-union-square-ventures-2015-6

Two of tech's biggest venture capital funds, Andreessen Horowitz and Union Square Ventures, are investing $1 million into OpenBazaar, a wildly ambitious bitcoin startup that aims to create a decentralised, police-proof online marketplace where users can sell literally anything using bitcoin.

https://github.com/OpenBazaar/OpenBazaar

Build instructions here:  https://github.com/OpenBazaar/OpenBazaar/wiki/01.-Getting-Started

Great thanks, I couldnt find the one on coindesk, i have a few friends that don't believe on decentralize technology's has proper tech to raise investment capital since mostly are opensource.
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 04:58:16 AM

You can use https://provistor.com/ to use OpenBazaar without having to install anything.

wow really? Im guessing thats just to test or wont work so good if you wish to sell? here was me waiting for the user friendly version Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: