Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 12:24:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 [497] 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S3+ Discussion and Support Thread  (Read 709859 times)
pinhead666

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 09:52:51 AM

How did you power them? Looks to me that they have problem with psu(s).
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 06:10:42 PM

Hello everyone!

Have a problem with S3! 8 miners knocked out of mining. All eight are connected to the Internet (yellow LED lights, blinking green); at 6 6 have two diodes constant light (red and green) at the same time, one S3 has a blinking connection diodes ONLY, and one is blinking green LED (+ connection).

Miners were overloaded (in the menu/OS adjust) then reinstalled on defult and then again regained their settings - nothing helped. Does not give any sign, only blinking ethernet connection.

Here are screens - work schedule (I dont understand what they show, maybe someone can!) and the status of the miners.

Can anyone tell what is the problem ?!

http://www.fotolink.su/v.php?id=1f7b0763eb2de17bc75dc043815606ce
http://www.fotolink.su/v.php?id=9e5eb7b6c15282de30ca83fd12f1dfd5

First thing would be to check if the PCI-e connectors all burned. Since they all stopped at the same time it *could* be possible you burned them all if you do not have proper surge protection.

Secondly did you power cycle them, along with the router? I have an issue where when one S1 bug out, sometimes all the S1s, from different PSU, connectors etc everything all lose local connection. To fix i have to restart the router.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
rymar

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 06:17:38 PM

PSUs are okay. I want to change the firmware. Can't find the data of old firmware.
rymar

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 06:41:16 PM

Hello everyone!

Have a problem with S3! 8 miners knocked out of mining. All eight are connected to the Internet (yellow LED lights, blinking green); at 6 6 have two diodes constant light (red and green) at the same time, one S3 has a blinking connection diodes ONLY, and one is blinking green LED (+ connection).

Miners were overloaded (in the menu/OS adjust) then reinstalled on defult and then again regained their settings - nothing helped. Does not give any sign, only blinking ethernet connection.

Here are screens - work schedule (I dont understand what they show, maybe someone can!) and the status of the miners.

First thing would be to check if the PCI-e connectors all burned. Since they all stopped at the same time it *could* be possible you burned them all if you do not have proper surge protection.

Secondly did you power cycle them, along with the router? I have an issue where when one S1 bug out, sometimes all the S1s, from different PSU, connectors etc everything all lose local connection. To fix i have to restart the router.

Did you mean PCI-e connectors inside miner?
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 06:54:50 PM

Hello everyone!

The PCI-e sockets. In the S3 there are 2 per board and they're the thing you plug in your PCI-e female(tube) connector into.

If you remove the shroud/cover it would be pretty obvious to notice if they have blackened. But you should be able to see just by looking at them with the PCI-e cables unconnected.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 1723

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 10:46:08 AM

i manage to undervolt my ant s3+. here is the result

stable at 305gh
freq 150
config voltage 065
HW .003 30 ment. idle
new firmware
191watts on wall i use digital corsair hx850i

Thank you for this.. 

however, if you change the config voltage, I doubt any change in watts at the wall. that setting has been disabled as per BITMAIN_Janet upthread just a bit.

your getting .62 watt / gh 

really looking for someone to take this thing apart and see how we can reduce the actuall voltage to the chips more then just changing the freq does.

antminer s3+ undervolt

here is the better result

update new firmware
310gh
freq. 150
adv. config voltage 065
HW .003 20 ment. idle

how to drop voltage

parallel 2.2k resistor on VFB to Vout resistor

.68 for 2.2k
.75 for 6.8k

https://i.imgur.com/mxxI2t6.png
https://i.imgur.com/Zw3El3U.png
https://i.imgur.com/VL9AGvu.png
https://i.imgur.com/5oGshqw.png

Did anybody actually try undervolting their S3 with this resistor hack? Just wondering how its been working out with stability.

0.6Watts/GHS seems like a good efficencty.

███████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████▀█▀████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████▀▀██████
████▀▀▀█████████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄███████
█████████████████▄▄▄████
█████████████████▀█████
████████████▀██▀████████
████████████████████████
███████████▄▄█████▄▄█████

███████████████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████▀▀▀
▀▄
▌░░▐▌
█████▄▄█
████████▄
████████▌
███████
███████
██████
██████
█████
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
..Play Now..
[
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 10:57:03 AM

Yes it works very well. My results here.

Here is what I have found works, by trial & error, at the lower clock frequencies.

Code:
MHz	V Core	GH	W	J/GH
175 0.685 350 197 0.56
150 0.66 300 154 0.51
125 0.64 254 120 0.47
100 0.63 200 96 0.48

The J/GH at 100MHz should be better but I cannot get the Core voltage low enough as am now very close to the TPS53355 DC-DC Converter 0.6V reference voltage.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 11:21:35 AM

Yes it works very well. My results here.

Here is what I have found works, by trial & error, at the lower clock frequencies.

Code:
MHz	V Core	GH	W	J/GH
175 0.685 350 197 0.56
150 0.66 300 154 0.51
125 0.64 254 120 0.47
100 0.63 200 96 0.48

The J/GH at 100MHz should be better but I cannot get the Core voltage low enough as am now very close to the TPS53355 DC-DC Converter 0.6V reference voltage.

Rich

You might have the older S3 miners where you can adjust the voltage. The ones I got the voltages can't be adjusted, you need to solder a resistor to lower the voltage.

███████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████▀█▀████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████▀▀██████
████▀▀▀█████████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄███████
█████████████████▄▄▄████
█████████████████▀█████
████████████▀██▀████████
████████████████████████

███████████████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████▀▀▀
▀▄
▌░░▐▌
█████▄▄█
████████▄
████████▌
███████
███████
██████
██████
█████
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
..Play Now..
[
RichBC

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 11:55:11 AM

You might have the older S3 miners where you can adjust the voltage. The ones I got the voltages can't be adjusted, you need to solder a resistor to lower the voltage.

The above measurements were with adjusted resistors, more information here.

I decided to try my hand at Undervolting the S3, I would like to play with the S5 but am hoping the second hand prices will come down a bit first.. Although there are posts around that say you can change the core voltage using the Advanced setting field, like some others have found on my S3 & S3+ it seems to make no difference to the voltage.

I wanted to be able to easily adjust the voltage so I soldered in 2 x 4 channel 5K digital pots across the VFB resistors. These are setup with an Arduino, which also measures the voltage set..

In practice I have just rediscovered what other have found, but it's good to see the numbers for yourself.  Smiley

The Standard S3 with 218.75MHz clock had a core voltage of 0.8V hashed at about 440GH & took 321W at the wall giving J/GH of 0.73

After trying a lot of frequencies and voltages I decided it was possible to continue at 218.75MHz with the voltage reduced to 0.73V. This gives a small number of hardware errors .001% but improves the J/GH to 0.65. I soldered 4K7 resistors into the S3 an am letting it run, while continuing to play with the S3+ with the digital pots.

At my electricity cost this moves me from Break Even to about £1 Week profit. I am happy with this for the moment as it's buying BTC and my Wife is happy as it's drying the washing.

As would be expected as you drop the frequency and Core voltage the efficiency increases and the J/GH drops.

The best I have seen was at 125Mhz, 0.64V Core Voltage, giving a hash of about 254GH which is J/GH of 0.48. This was with 270 Ohms across the VFB resistor and at this point I run out of adjustment on the core voltage as we are very close to the TPS533355 0.6V reference voltage. However I am actually surprised that the chip was still hashing at this voltage.

I could probably squeeze a slightly better result by doing away with half the DC-DC converters and moving to 4 chips per, as the currents are now much reduced. I may try this later?

Rich

Here is a summary of where I have got to. I had to increase the core voltage slightly at 125MHz as with more testing I got an x....

Code:
MHz	V Core	GH	W	J/GH	R Ohm
206.25 0.728 412.5 271 0.66 4700
150 0.69 300 165.6 0.55 1800
125 0.64 250 122.4 0.49 330

The R Ohm is the value of the resistor soldered in parallel with the existing VFB resistor.

The watts for the 206.25Mhz were measured at the wall, the others were calculated from the Voltage & current drawn from the PSU on the bench so might be slightly out, but will be very close.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 01:26:39 PM

The above measurements were with adjusted resistors, more information here.

I decided to try my hand at Undervolting the S3, I would like to play with the S5 but am hoping the second hand prices will come down a bit first.. Although there are posts around that say you can change the core voltage using the Advanced setting field, like some others have found on my S3 & S3+ it seems to make no difference to the voltage.

I wanted to be able to easily adjust the voltage so I soldered in 2 x 4 channel 5K digital pots across the VFB resistors. These are setup with an Arduino, which also measures the voltage set..

In practice I have just rediscovered what other have found, but it's good to see the numbers for yourself.  Smiley

The Standard S3 with 218.75MHz clock had a core voltage of 0.8V hashed at about 440GH & took 321W at the wall giving J/GH of 0.73

After trying a lot of frequencies and voltages I decided it was possible to continue at 218.75MHz with the voltage reduced to 0.73V. This gives a small number of hardware errors .001% but improves the J/GH to 0.65. I soldered 4K7 resistors into the S3 an am letting it run, while continuing to play with the S3+ with the digital pots.

At my electricity cost this moves me from Break Even to about £1 Week profit. I am happy with this for the moment as it's buying BTC and my Wife is happy as it's drying the washing.

As would be expected as you drop the frequency and Core voltage the efficiency increases and the J/GH drops.

The best I have seen was at 125Mhz, 0.64V Core Voltage, giving a hash of about 254GH which is J/GH of 0.48. This was with 270 Ohms across the VFB resistor and at this point I run out of adjustment on the core voltage as we are very close to the TPS533355 0.6V reference voltage. However I am actually surprised that the chip was still hashing at this voltage.

I could probably squeeze a slightly better result by doing away with half the DC-DC converters and moving to 4 chips per, as the currents are now much reduced. I may try this later?

Rich

Here is a summary of where I have got to. I had to increase the core voltage slightly at 125MHz as with more testing I got an x....

Code:
MHz	V Core	GH	W	J/GH	R Ohm
206.25 0.728 412.5 271 0.66 4700
150 0.69 300 165.6 0.55 1800
125 0.64 250 122.4 0.49 330

The R Ohm is the value of the resistor soldered in parallel with the existing VFB resistor.

The watts for the 206.25Mhz were measured at the wall, the others were calculated from the Voltage & current drawn from the PSU on the bench so might be slightly out, but will be very close.

Rich

Thanks for the info. Was wondering if there is a picture online somewhere showing more clearly which components needs to be soldered in parallel.

The one posted by valtic was taken at an angle and its hard to see.

███████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████▀█▀████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████▀▀██████
████▀▀▀█████████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄███████
█████████████████▄▄▄████
█████████████████▀█████
████████████▀██▀████████
████████████████████████

███████████████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████▀▀▀
▀▄
▌░░▐▌
█████▄▄█
████████▄
████████▌
███████
███████
██████
██████
█████
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
..Play Now..
[
RichBC

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 01:51:05 PM

Still not a very good picture as you have to take at an angle unless you take the board out from the frame. I have corrected the perspective but focus not that good.

The resistors to parallel across are marked with red lines.

Rich

adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 04:09:10 PM

Still not a very good picture as you have to take at an angle unless you take the board out from the frame. I have corrected the perspective but focus not that good.

Rich

Those look like tiny SMD resistors, did you have any issues soldering those resistors?

███████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████▀█▀████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████▀▀██████
████▀▀▀█████████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄███████
█████████████████▄▄▄████
█████████████████▀█████
████████████▀██▀████████
████████████████████████

███████████████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████▀▀▀
▀▄
▌░░▐▌
█████▄▄█
████████▄
████████▌
███████
███████
██████
██████
█████
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
..Play Now..
[
RichBC

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 04:13:51 PM

Rich

Those look like tiny SMD resistors, did you have any issues soldering those resistors?
Yes they are quite small, you need a fine point soldering iron and a steady hand.  Smiley

Rich

rymar

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 05:31:13 PM

Hi! There was problem with router. I rebooted it, then rebooted the miners, and everything all right!
rymar

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 05:50:42 PM

Hello everyone!

The PCI-e sockets. In the S3 there are 2 per board and they're the thing you plug in your PCI-e female(tube) connector into.

If you remove the shroud/cover it would be pretty obvious to notice if they have blackened. But you should be able to see just by looking at them with the PCI-e cables unconnected.

Hi! There was problem with router. I rebooted it, then rebooted the miners, and everything all right!
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 06:19:28 PM

Rich

Yes they are quite small, you need a fine point soldering iron and a steady hand.  Smiley

Rich

What type of resistors should I use? SMD resistors or those old large ceramic ones?

███████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████▀█▀████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████▀▀██████
████▀▀▀█████████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄███████
█████████████████▄▄▄████
█████████████████▀█████
████████████▀██▀████████
████████████████████████

███████████████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████▀▀▀
▀▄
▌░░▐▌
█████▄▄█
████████▄
████████▌
███████
███████
██████
██████
█████
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
..Play Now..
[
RichBC

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 06:28:51 PM

An SMD resistor of the same size as fitted to the board (0603) is probably the best / easiest. However you can also use an 1/8W wire ended resistor with the leads bent and cut to fit the spacing. Can be easier as you have something to hold.

Rich

Stratobitz
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 06:36:54 PM

Without adding an antennae whats the wifi range on an S3+. Just curious. Thanks!

Strato
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 06:41:10 PM

Without adding an antennae whats the wifi range on an S3+. Just curious. Thanks!

Strato

Almost none.  If you sit it next to router you chances are will get it.  But going any distance really and I always lost connection.

I stuck with wired for most part though.
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 08:20:49 PM

Strato

7m and the second floor, with stone walls did not have any problem. Tested with 4x S3 with wifi.
Pages: « 1 ... 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 [497] 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 »
  Print  

Jump to: