Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 06:09:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 [724] 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312486 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 02:27:26 AM

ETH up to 0.029. Will XMR price move up accordingly?
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 02:31:20 AM

They are babbling in the Polo troll box about some ETH "news" but I have no idea if it is actually a thing.  The Monero sells started when ETH started going up so.........

EDIT:  43K buy wall back at 250, what do I know  Embarrassed
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 02:45:25 AM

If you know enough to know that you don't know, then you know a lot more that a lot of people who know that they know a lot more.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
vuduchyld

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 02:47:40 AM

Cash hauling UAVs. Initiate a new transaction and the drone flies to you.
owm123

Activity: 392

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 02:49:54 AM

Interesting depth chart. xmr price tightly  locked at 255k between massive buy and sell walls.

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
owm123

Activity: 392

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 02:53:23 AM

They are babbling in the Polo troll box about some ETH "news" but I have no idea if it is actually a thing.  The Monero sells started when ETH started going up so.........

EDIT:  43K buy wall back at 250, what do I know  Embarrassed

this news i think
https://www.bitfinex.com/pages/announcements/?id=93

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 02:55:14 AM

Get a thread.  (Also, "homestead" release, hardfork is Monday.)

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 4925

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 02:56:24 AM

For the love of God can some exchange please let me buy XMR with US Dollars.  I mean really, I hate Bitcoin transaction speeds.  Over an hour now to transfer BTC from Coinbase to HitBTC.   Another reason Bitcoin is falling behind not enough nodes out there to process payments or transactions faster.   Ok rant over.

I'm with you 100% on this!

For the love of God can some exchange please let me buy XMR with US Dollars.  I mean really, I hate Bitcoin transaction speeds.  Over an hour now to transfer BTC from Coinbase to HitBTC.   Another reason Bitcoin is falling behind not enough nodes out there to process payments or transactions faster.   Ok rant over.

Actually, that would not speed transactions because the same average number of blocks would be found per hour.

What you really are ranting about is block size...

Potato, patato the point is BTC is Worthless to us.

. FWIW be careful with hitbtc.  I have had coins locked up over there for days before.

Yeah when I was doing my diligence I found that exchange to be an unacceptable risk, the same as craptsy that most of us were warning about while people we scampering to get us on there.

Coinbase creates two (apparently low-fee) tx for every BTC withdrawal.  They are flooding the system to push the Classic agenda.

Solution?  Stop using CoinBank!

I have but we really need a trustworthy pairing outside of fincen for the long run. Even if it is just BTC/XMR.

I was thinking the other night about something that could possibly fix this issue, in a "thinking outside the box" type of way.  When thinking about this, I was thinking "for the sake of anonymity" rather than the cost of how to do something like this.

It is no doubt that the most anonymous way to buy Bitcoins is to buy in cash.  People are sometimes hesitant to do something like this, because that would have to involve a high amount of trust to the seller that the person won't just rob you and probably would be hard to coordinate a time and place that would satisfy both the buyer and the seller... and so on.

The better suggestion would be then to tell someone to go to a Bitcoin ATM.  Problem with this is the obvious one that there are usually no Bitcoin ATM's in someones location and that person would have to travel hundreds of miles to go somewhere, usually a big city, that has one of these things at some store.

So here is what I was thinking:

Now I know that this would require some initial investment from the buyer... but here it goes.
What if you could order a small "safe" that could be shipped to someones house that is capable of hooking up to wifi or just a direct internet connection.  It could be shipped via UPS to someones door or P.O. box, and then you can use that "safe" to connect to some theoretical exchange site; where you can insert fiat into the machine (kind of like a vending machine) that allows you to "purchase" XMR.

Each time you insert X amount of fiat in the machine, it allows you to purchase Y amount of XMR in USD/XMR; rather than BTC/XMR through the exchange at that specific point in time.  You can keep the machine as long as you'd like, and while you keep the machine, every XMR you purchase will be kept in cold storage held by the exchange.  Then when you feel like "cashing in" on all the XMR you have purchased, you can ship back your "safe" to the exchange address.  Finally the people at the exchange would be able to check that the safe hasn't been tampered with and also that the correct amount of fiat is in the safe; which then afterward they will release XMR to your specified address.

---

I know this would require some initial investment on part of the people who would want to run an exchange (plus the people wanting to purchase XMR) like this; but I feel like this would be an absolute killer way to purchase XMR, and cryptocurrencies in general; which would be purchased with spare cash they have on hand, not having to deal with banks, somewhat anonymous (especially when sending to a P.O box), etc.

Could just be a pipe dream I had though... whatever, I thought I would share with you guys though.  Cool

At this point in the game I'm not worried about the anonymity of my purchases as much as being able to make them.

I like your outside the box thinking but someone would just rip off the box.

Well the scenario that hedge fund managers even taking the time to listen to someone promoting an altcoin to bitcoin, which is regarded as a criminal tool used to buy drugs, guns, etc; is just as highly unlikely as well.  Theoretically speaking, I would think talking to someone in a more conservative manner while presenting facts about the pros and cons of XMR looks better than promising 1000X per investment right off the bat... looks less like a scam in my mind, and I would think the same for investors who have no idea what the uses for cryptos are; besides what the media portrays.

If it's one thing I've learned through life, It's that pencil pushing moneymen could give a shit less what something is being used for as long as they can get their cut. Where did you get that stupid idea that these people have morals?

Cash to XMR is already available using AltQuik (sp?) as long as you are not in New York

Purchase book has very limited amount for sale. It's not a portal but a OTB site.

https://www.altquick.co/buy-2.php?coin=XMR

Also to buy 1k this is not remotely close to a fair buy.

Code:
XMR for sale: 1167.968666
( 387.064831 minimum purchase)
USD required: 1357.8756
XMR / USD : 1.162596

Does anyone know what it would take to make this happen on our own? A member TheKoziTwo I think ran one first but closed when we got on Polo if I am remembering the facts straight. Maybe he could help?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 03:11:18 AM

Actually it is pretty fair.  The BitcoinATM near my office in the city charges at 8.6% premium for buys.  The one in LES does btc to fiat, requires KYC, and charges some serious double-digit premium on sells, like crazy bad, that I have erased from my memory as a traumatic experience.  Well, fair compared to outright rape, that is.

binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 03:19:19 AM

Indeed premium is typical of ATMs and online brokers (they have some advantages over exchanges, you pay for that difference).
But "387.064831 minimum purchase", that's really nuts...

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
nioc
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 03:26:50 AM

Indeed premium is typical of ATMs and online brokers (they have some advantages over exchanges, you pay for that difference).
But "387.064831 minimum purchase", that's really nuts...

I haven't checked them in a while.  Sometimes there were decent deals and sometimes not so much.  I can't use them anymore due to my stupidity.
nioc
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 03:37:34 AM

Placed some bids all over the place, need to make up for the boat, and off to early bed.  Goodnight Monkey Smiley
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 03:54:48 AM

Actually it is pretty fair.  The BitcoinATM near my office in the city charges at 8.6% premium for buys.  The one in LES does btc to fiat, requires KYC, and charges some serious double-digit premium on sells, like crazy bad, that I have erased from my memory as a traumatic experience.  Well, fair compared to outright rape, that is.

The ATM has a far higher operational cost so your really not making a fair comparison.  Now this is another thing we should be addressing I believe. I think we should be looking into having Monero added as an option to the bitcoin machines. Or design our own with both pairs and deploy with the help of btc backers if for some reason they are adverse to adding XMR.

I am also crossposting this:

I'd suggest linking them all of our whitepapers listed here:

https://lab.getmonero.org/

In addition, the cryptonote whitepaper + the review by MRL:

https://cryptonote.org/whitepaper.pdf

https://downloads.getmonero.org/whitepaper_review.pdf

Finally, you could send them this list:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/46gfgv/list_of_prominent_bitcoin_people_that_spoke/

That shows that at least some of the people on the list have looked at the code and/or whitepaper.

PS. It seems like you got a different reply than the standard one reported by other community members here.

Yes it looks like a move in the right direction, thanks for collecting the links I'll reply with them. Smiley

I would recommend everyone else does as well.

ADDED:

OK, here is a letter I've compiled with Debruyne's provided information. What changes would you guys recommend?

It has come to my attention that the reasoning behind not providing a Monero pairing (ticker - XMR) is that you feel the code would have to be vetted which will take resources you do not currently possess. I would suggest that this is indeed not needed in this case. I premise this view by presenting you with the formal actors whose credentials I think we can agree on are beyond reproach.

The Monero Research Lab

The Core Team forms an integral part of the Monero Research Lab, but the researchers, scientists, and academics that are primarily focused on Monero research are listed below. They have chosen to remain pseudonymous for the moment. They are:

Surae Noether: Lead researcher for the Monero Research Lab, Surae holds a PhD in Mathematical Sciences and brings a rich understanding of cryptography and homological algebra to the mix.

Shen Noether: A graduate student focused on algebraic geometry, it is Shen's command and knowledge of cryptography that lends itself so well to his involvement in the Monero Research Lab. Shen is also responsible for finding and showing proof of concept that SDC (Shadowcoin) is indeed not anonymous. He did this by pointing out what was wrong with their logic and when they were unable to understand his results and accused him of lies he revealed the SDC entire blockchain.

Sarang Noether: Having completed his Masters in Mathematical Sciences, Sarang is currently completing his doctoral degree in Physics, while devoting time on the side to the advancement of Monero research.

Supporting arguments can all be found in these links including Prominent members of BTC's Developers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/46gfgv/list_of_prominent_bitcoin_people_that_spoke/

https://lab.getmonero.org/

In addition, the cryptonote whitepaper + the review by MRL:

https://cryptonote.org/whitepaper.pdf

https://downloads.getmonero.org/whitepaper_review.pdf

And this is not even touching on the programming team whom I am sure you will also find beyond competent. The list is far to long you can easily find it on github.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 04:23:53 AM

Buying the price rapidly up to $1 000 000 is more than a little ridiculous.  Even several large accumulators would not do that.  OTC buys would be more likely, which would have less effect on exchange prices.  Even buying on exchange though, the realstic methods would be to eliminate price drops, while working the price higher like the inexorable (there's that lovely word again) tide.  Kind of like, oh, I don't know... 2016 so far  Grin

Yes it makes everyone who has bought even a few Moneros pretty rich. Actually so rich in 100 000 usd mark that nobody even cares about selling.  Grin

Obviously it requires bidding war to take place.
At some point when we are so rich and done all our selling there are very much space to rise and basically nothing to stop the rising because the small guys are too small to move the markets and the war is fought by hedge funds or other similar type of alternative investment strategy funds.
I agree OTC is the best way for bigger guy to enter, however certainly it spills over to exchanges as well (probably the OTC seller wants to replace at least partially the coins he sold).
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 04:26:36 AM

More generally, a simple, private method for xmr <-> Fiat conversion would be a killer feature.

I was thinking the other night about something that could possibly fix this issue, in a "thinking outside the box" type of way.  When thinking about this, I was thinking "for the sake of anonymity" rather than the cost of how to do something like this.

It is no doubt that the most anonymous way to buy Bitcoins is to buy in cash.  People are sometimes hesitant to do something like this, because that would have to involve a high amount of trust to the seller that the person won't just rob you and probably would be hard to coordinate a time and place that would satisfy both the buyer and the seller... and so on.

The better suggestion would be then to tell someone to go to a Bitcoin ATM.  Problem with this is the obvious one that there are usually no Bitcoin ATM's in someones location and that person would have to travel hundreds of miles to go somewhere, usually a big city, that has one of these things at some store.

So here is what I was thinking:

Now I know that this would require some initial investment from the buyer... but here it goes.
What if you could order a small "safe" that could be shipped to someones house that is capable of hooking up to wifi or just a direct internet connection.  It could be shipped via UPS to someones door or P.O. box, and then you can use that "safe" to connect to some theoretical exchange site; where you can insert fiat into the machine (kind of like a vending machine) that allows you to "purchase" XMR.

Each time you insert X amount of fiat in the machine, it allows you to purchase Y amount of XMR in USD/XMR; rather than BTC/XMR through the exchange at that specific point in time.  You can keep the machine as long as you'd like, and while you keep the machine, every XMR you purchase will be kept in cold storage held by the exchange.  Then when you feel like "cashing in" on all the XMR you have purchased, you can ship back your "safe" to the exchange address.  Finally the people at the exchange would be able to check that the safe hasn't been tampered with and also that the correct amount of fiat is in the safe; which then afterward they will release XMR to your specified address.

---

I know this would require some initial investment on part of the people who would want to run an exchange (plus the people wanting to purchase XMR) like this; but I feel like this would be an absolute killer way to purchase XMR, and cryptocurrencies in general; which would be purchased with spare cash they have on hand, not having to deal with banks, somewhat anonymous (especially when sending to a P.O box), etc.

Could just be a pipe dream I had though... whatever, I thought I would share with you guys though.  Cool

While they are good coders but certainly they are not salesmen. If a salesman says: "do not buy the item I am selling for you because it will not help you in your aspirations" what do you think the potential customer think about that type of salesman?  (Hedge fund manages are looking for hopefully extreme return, that is their deepest aspiration and passion).
griffen1102

Activity: 229
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 04:36:06 AM

Guys cmon... Let's be real with this hedge fund bullshit. We're going to do more harm than help if we were to pitch monero to a hedge fund right now. Unless that hedge fund manager is computer literative, he/she is going to have to store their stash on mymoner.com and let's be honest, that's not how you want to pitch an idea to a hedge fund. Pet focus on the now before we get ahead of ourselves here.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 04:55:37 AM

Guys cmon... Let's be real with this hedge fund bullshit. We're going to do more harm than help if we were to pitch monero to a hedge fund right now. Unless that hedge fund manager is computer literative, he/she is going to have to store their stash on mymoner.com and let's be honest, that's not how you want to pitch an idea to a hedge fund. Pet focus on the now before we get ahead of ourselves here.

I agree this should be on the todo list after gui release. Is there anyone actively keeping one? I noticed when I asked who will be handling marketing there was nothing but silence. Is that because MEW has been dissolved and is a bit of a "touchy subject" now?

BTW I have been trying to find a country where an exchange can be hosted that does not cow to fincen but have not as of yet found a list. I had thought The Isle of Mann was one but apparently not after reading this. Boring ass read, skip all the agreed upon terms.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/tax-policy/treaties/Documents/FATCA-Agreement-Isle-of-Man-12-13-2013.pdf

bitebits
Legendary

Activity: 2213
Merit: 3208

Flippin' burgers since 1163.

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 07:15:48 AM

If you know enough to know that you don't know, then you know a lot more that a lot of people who know that they know a lot more.

You are the Sokrates of Monero, please keep posting  Smiley.

- You can figure out what will happen, not when /Warren Buffett
- Pay any Bitcoin address privately with a little help of Monero.
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 07:19:35 AM

Almost certainly passed out from the aftereffects by this time  Cheesy

Notice polo is like a rubber room?  bump into the walls, and they just move Shocked
macsga
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002

Strange, yet attractive.

View Profile
March 12, 2016, 07:58:46 AM

Almost certainly passed out from the aftereffects by this time  Cheesy

Notice polo is like a rubber room?  bump into the walls, and they just move Shocked

It's wise to test the waters before jumping in (especially when BTC takes a dive at the same time) Wink

Chaos could be a form of intelligence we cannot yet understand its complexity.
Pages: « 1 ... 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 [724] 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: