Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:46:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 [675] 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312397 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 26, 2016, 09:02:35 PM

Haha, absolutely not!  But when I hear "Satoshi Round Table" I think some meeting with the top dogs in development to talk about Bitcoin primarily... I understand now it's more of cryptocurrencies in general, which is awesome.  Will there be a video of it after the meeting is over?

I was there last year, it is a well marketed event but I am sure fluffypony can do without me this time  Wink

The problem with that level people is that everyone is already hands full of work. I did not have the resources to start any projects with anyone there, but it was cool to shake hands with Roger Ver, Erik Voorhees, Brock Pierce, Vitalik Buterin etc. I pitched Crypto Kingdom in the main venue, but to my knowledge nobody bought in. CKG is up 1,000% in one year measured in fiat, 500% in BTC, but that would be peanuts for these guys anyway.

There will most probably be no video.

Fluffy's lifetime achievement - invitation to Satoshi Round Table. I'd love to find out who invited him...

I'd love to know your lifetime achievement as well... Sharing is caring  Wink

He has a bright future behind him.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jehst

Activity: 798

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
February 26, 2016, 09:52:31 PM

No matter what happens from here, no one can ever claim that this was a get rich quick scheme.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 26, 2016, 09:52:56 PM
Last edit: February 26, 2016, 10:13:27 PM by americanpegasus

Monero volume popping on Polo.  

We just had someone buy a big chunk all at once, all the way up the ask stack.  A nice start to the weekend?

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105

View Profile
February 26, 2016, 11:08:10 PM

No matter what happens from here, no one can ever claim that this was a get rich quick scheme.

primer-'s been claiming as much for months. Smiley
americanpegasus

View Profile
February 26, 2016, 11:13:51 PM

Unfortunately you can't create a new, widely-adopted, decentralized monetary system without accidentally making a few early adopters rich in the process.  No matter how pure the intentions and tech, someone will likely get rich. 

All you can do is hope that it's the right people, with the right motives and morals. 

Monero is not a get rich quick scheme; it is the most powerful money in existence.  But if it succeeds the way we think it will, it's going to make a few people extraordinarily wealthy, and there's nothing we can do to stop that.

binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
February 26, 2016, 11:31:11 PM

As a matter of fact, ironically many early adopters are still under water at the current price. Those that came later were (and are still partly) favored.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4906

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
February 26, 2016, 11:52:38 PM

AFAIK (correct me if wrong), Poloniex does not hold the account owner personally at risk if the short game goes bust.

According to their Terms of Use, they do hold the account holder responsible:

If, after your positions and assets are liquidated, your account still contains insufficient funds to settle your debts to lenders, you will be responsible for any additional funds owed

However, if the account holder doesn't pay, the risk then theoretically falls next on the lender:

When you lend to other users using the Platform’s P2P lending system, you risk the loss of an unpaid principle if the borrower defaults on a loan and liquidation of the borrower's account fails to raise sufficient funds to cover his or her debt.

In practice, I agree true black swan risks probably exist (aside from those that exist outside the lending system altogether).

I was under the impression that once the value of your accounts assets were reached on your short that your position was auto closed, so how can the lender end up paying for the shorter?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
americanpegasus

View Profile
February 26, 2016, 11:56:00 PM

Speaking of shorts, it looks like our mystery shorter dumped 3000 more borrowed coins and may be placing some of that imposing sell wall.  

At this point they may be 'pot committed' and will get liquidated at an increasingly narrower margin of error.  They will continue to pile shorted coins on to avert the loss, digging their hole deeper and deeper until the slightest buying pressure creates a titanic liquidation of their position.  

Mystery shorter, you are playing a dangerous game.  Good luck, and I hope you will recover from the impending loss in time.

Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2016, 11:56:32 PM

This community is so "polluted" ...

iCEBRAKER was a former CEO of Hashfast, criminal ASIC scammer with a lawsuit in progress.
No wonder he's all-in in Monero, he had to 'wash' his stolen bitcoins...

It's kind of interesting that iCEBREAKER was apparently mixed up in this scam ( http://www.deanslyons.com/PDFs/2014-03-25-Plaintiff-s-First-Amended-Petition.pdf ; interesting aside - who'd have thought you'd see bitcointalk screenshots in court proceedings) with cypherdoc, and subsequently they each ended up on opposite sides of the big block/small block bitcoin debate. Since they were both allegedly paid shills for hashfast, maybe blockstream is now paying iCEBREAKER for shilling and coinbase is paying cypherdoc to shill blocksize arguments. Who knows, maybe fluffypony is paying iCEBREAKER for shilling Monero Tongue

All I see is 2 of his posts in the middle of others, noting to say he was involved. But I'm not reading that whole PDF.

http://www.deanslyons.com/PDFs/2014-03-25-Plaintiff-s-First-Amended-Petition.pdf

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2016, 11:59:51 PM

Speaking of shorts, it looks like our mystery shorter dumped 3000 more borrowed coins and may be placing some of that imposing sell wall.  

At this point they may be 'pot committed' and will get liquidated at an increasingly narrower margin of error.  They will continue to pile shorted coins on to avert the loss, digging their hole deeper and deeper until the slightest buying pressure creates a titanic liquidation of their position.  

Mystery shorter, you are playing a dangerous game.  Good luck, and I hope you will recover from the impending loss in time.

what sell wall?

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 12:10:02 AM

AFAIK (correct me if wrong), Poloniex does not hold the account owner personally at risk if the short game goes bust.

If, after your positions and assets are liquidated, your account still contains insufficient funds to settle your debts to lenders, you will be responsible for any additional funds owed

However, if the account holder doesn't pay, the risk then theoretically falls next on the lender:

When you lend to other users using the Platform’s P2P lending system, you risk the loss of an unpaid principle if the borrower defaults on a loan and liquidation of the borrower's account fails to raise sufficient funds to cover his or her debt.

In practice, I agree true black swan risks probably exist (aside from those that exist outside the lending system altogether).

I was under the impression that once the value of your accounts assets were reached on your short that your position was auto closed, so how can the lender end up paying for the shorter?

If there is insufficient ask liquidity to close his short.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 12:10:36 AM

what sell wall?

I guess he means those walls at 200k and up to 246k.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2016, 12:12:27 AM

If there is a Monero Bearwhale (couch, Otoh, cough) he's got pockets deep enough to avoid margin calls.  Let him keep borrowing XMR, so they must eventually be repaid with (hopefully non-dust) interest, preferably raising the bottom of some local minimum in the process.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
americanpegasus

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 12:15:04 AM

This is the real danger of lending: you know your XMR are being used to short XMR (likely), and you can also expect at least a few black swan rises over the history of our currency.  

If you have coins out while someone is using your coins to short, the resulting squeeze could destroy your principal - even though you are explicitly long due to holding XMR in the first place.  

Perhaps in an ecosystem as large as BTC this risk is minimal, but for a microcap like XMR the risk is overwhelming we have at least a few of these black swan moves ahead of us.  To me it isn't worth the risk to loan out my XMR at the moment, especially since the XMR market on Polo isn't very developed (yet) so you know your Moneros aren't being used to long other coins - only to exclusively short XMR.  

This puts the lenders in a precarious situation where they gain crumbs for helping short the coin, but could lose catastrophically along with the shorter if the inevitable happens.  Thus, to me, lending Monero at the moment is just a slightly less risky way to short it.

Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 12:23:37 AM

Ok, As a intellectual exercise lets say your goal is to lose as much of lenders assets as possible, how would you do this and what would it cost (for optimal effect)? As an aside what could you do to hedge this action or even benefit from it?

smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 12:25:17 AM

If you have coins out while someone is using your coins to short, the resulting squeeze could destroy your principal - even though you are explicitly long due to holding XMR in the first place.  

You are trying to be long, yes. But what you are actually long is not XMR itself (which would mean holding the private keys), but someone else's promise to pay you XMR.

This can contribute to a sort of waterfall black swan risk, since people who want to be long seeing their long exposure wiped out might induce them to try to replace it in the market, leading to even more short losses (on the other hand, the synthetic longs'  losses may reduce demand due to negative wealth effect).

Or you could just hold your private keys.
americanpegasus

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 12:35:52 AM

Ok, As a intellectual exercise lets say your goal is to lose as much of lenders assets as possible, how would you do this and what would it cost (for optimal effect)? As an aside what could you do to hedge this action or even benefit from it?

You are asking how you could damage the lenders intentionally?  You could do it, but I don't think you could profit on it.  You would need to take them up on their loans, even at extremely high interest rates - really create a lending frenzy.  Use those loans to set up elaborate sell walls near-the-money.  Ensure you have only minimum margin requirements in this account #1. 

Then, with account #2 you could have to place a titanic buy order, eating through all your self-errected near-the-money walls at once and skyrocketing the price by a major % amount.  This would liquidate your account #1, and force Polo to try to repay the lenders.  But since your account #2 is still driving up the price an irrational amount the lenders would not be able to be compensated. 

This would cost you significantly because you would eat the losses from having account #1 liquidated even though you would end up with a substantial portion of XMR in account #2. 

Cold blooded, as usual.  And correct.  I think once the official GUI comes out you will start seeing more people store XMR away in their own private keys.  Is that sensical or rational?  No, but it's how it will likely go down.

Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 12:55:05 AM

You are asking how you could damage the lenders intentionally?  You could do it, but I don't think you could profit on it.  You would need to take them up on their loans, even at extremely high interest rates - really create a lending frenzy.  Use those loans to set up elaborate sell walls near-the-money.  Ensure you have only minimum margin requirements in this account #1. 

Then, with account #2 you could have to place a titanic buy order, eating through all your self-errected near-the-money walls at once and skyrocketing the price by a major % amount.  This would liquidate your account #1, and force Polo to try to repay the lenders.  But since your account #2 is still driving up the price an irrational amount the lenders would not be able to be compensated. 

This would cost you significantly because you would eat the losses from having account #1 liquidated even though you would end up with a substantial portion of XMR in account #2. 

Yes but this does not take into account other exchanges and the bots that will auto arbitrage.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 12:56:35 AM

Cold blooded, as usual.  And correct.  I think once the official GUI comes out you will start seeing more people store XMR away in their own private keys.  Is that sensical or rational?  No, but it's how it will likely go down.

It is the classic, since long before any crypto - currency existed, and most effective way to squeeze the shorts to the wall. Take delivery.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
americanpegasus

View Profile
February 27, 2016, 12:59:03 AM

Yes but this does not take into account other exchanges and the bots that will auto arbitrage.

Sure, but the point was to hurt lenders to the max extent, right?  If the subsequent ultra-buy happened fast enough, it is assumed that Polo isn't going to wait for some arbitrage opportunity to liquidate and assign losses.  This will happen automatically.  

Now whether you can profit from the resulting self-induced arbitrage is another story.  

Bottom line:  these alts are so small they are ripe for manipulation and should not be trusted as legitimate markets.  Even Bitcoin is prone to manipulation, and us 100x so.

Pages: « 1 ... 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 [675] 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: