Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:51:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 [1331] 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 ... 2191 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Speculation  (Read 3312332 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
January 21, 2017, 08:42:13 PM

The only advantage Dark coin has is its marketing which lacks completely from Monero.
Dark coin is pretty much everywhere - the only place Dark coin has not succeed to find its way is my dreams.
Monero needs adaption and adaption comes when more people are aware of it. Marketing is the tool to make people aware of the project. Vlogging on Monero like Amanda Johnson is doing with Dark coin will bring masses to Monero community.... Thanks to marketing Darkcoin is relatively stable and kind of rising pattern. Blackcoin on the other hand is not marketing (at least I am not aware of it) and look at where it is now?

The reason why Monero is not marketed is the fact that nobody has an incentive to do so, therefore nobody does it.

Better marketing would be good, but we get a lot of respect for NOT doing that sort of thing. When XMR gets news - and it DOES -  it's not always us that have generated it, or broadcast it throughout cryptosopace with paid marketing.  It's generally simply real news.  We are still above Dash in market cap and I doubt the price relationship will stay as it stands for too long.  Do we really want to be the 'Amanda Johnson' coin?

How long do you think having her speak for them will still be looking cool?

I do not know anyone who respects Monero of its main weakness (lack of marketing).
Yes, Monero has been mentioned not only on crypto related media but also mainstream media.
The importance of marketing comes to play an important role when it comes to communicating Monero to the new people in laymen's language. Despite Amanda Johnson is a vocal Dark coin person I am not sure if people consider Dark coin as "Amanda Johnson coin"..  

There are different type of adaption:
1) Speculation (short term buying and selling)
2) Bagholding (consider Monero as an asset and want to accumulate it as much as possible)
3) Transactional (buying illegal stuff mainly right now)

When communicating, all these aspects should be taken account, they all have different mindset and thus the approach should be different. Let's approach the people from their own perspectives.

Given we are all aware of inaugurations and the inspiring (or less than inspiring) things that have sprung from them, may I challenge you by adapting a line from one of them?:

Ask not what your cryptocurrency can do for you, but what you can do for your cryptocurrency.

我想要火箭和火车

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coinling

Activity: 431
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 21, 2017, 10:05:53 PM

I think I know where you come from: I used to worry about Monero not having marketing early 2016 but then it got accepted by the DNM, price went up and slowly down (oasis exit scam, no GUI). I then got worried again that we should market Monero but then price gradually went up with the release GUI, kraken, bitfinex echange accepting Monero. What makes people want marketing is fear and uncertainty that prices will go way down but I am positive that how Monero is advancing right now is not the wrong path to go.

What I want to say is that I used to believe that marketing was a must for Monero to spread but I am slowly believing it is not as it is a decentralized/open source project which is gradually developing. We still have more features to come and because it is an open source project, having suddenly many newcomers could do more harm than good to it. We should help fluffy with the adoption and awareness as best as we can and get people to be involved with it not as a buy-once-then-dump-and-not-get-involved-with-XMR-forever coin.

I believe the way to go for Monero as a decentralized and open source project is to expand as the same rate it is developing. Deep down inside, we all know that Monero is great, different than Bitcoin and that it is not going to disappear suddenly. Chances of Monero being replaced by another cryptocurrency is very slim as they would have to have continuous development and most likely start from scratch like Monero if they wanted to replace it.

Really like this post.
I think marketing just pushes something further than it is at the moment. Otherwise it would spread automatically.
The marketing it gets for real adoption/development etc. is definitely enough and will be even better in the longrun.
This hype pump/dump is not healthy at all, although it is some kind of natural and will help adoption as well but i like Monero's path and i really like the idelogical focus.

Btw. has Monero some kind of development fund or how are the devs funded, just donation?

DaveyJones

Activity: 768
Merit: 505

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 01:05:45 AM

I do not know anyone who respects Monero of its main weakness (lack of marketing).
Yes, Monero has been mentioned not only on crypto related media but also mainstream media.
The importance of marketing comes to play an important role when it comes to communicating Monero to the new people in laymen's language. Despite Amanda Johnson is a vocal Dark coin person I am not sure if people consider Dark coin as "Amanda Johnson coin"..  

2) Bagholding (consider Monero as an asset and want to accumulate it as much as possible)

When communicating, all these aspects should be taken account, they all have different mindset and thus the approach should be different. Let's approach the people from their own perspectives.

I think I know where you come from: I used to worry about Monero not having marketing early 2016 but then it got accepted by the DNM, price went up and slowly down (oasis exit scam, no GUI). I then got worried again that we should market Monero but then price gradually went up with the release GUI, kraken, bitfinex echange accepting Monero. What makes people want marketing is fear and uncertainty that prices will go way down but I am positive that how Monero is advancing right now is not the wrong path to go.

What I want to say is that I used to believe that marketing was a must for Monero to spread but I am slowly believing it is not as it is a decentralized/open source project which is gradually developing. We still have more features to come and because it is an open source project, having suddenly many newcomers could do more harm than good to it. We should help fluffy with the adoption and awareness as best as we can and get people to be involved with it not as a buy-once-then-dump-and-not-get-involved-with-XMR-forever coin.

I believe the way to go for Monero as a decentralized and open source project is to expand as the same rate it is developing. Deep down inside, we all know that Monero is great, different than Bitcoin and that it is not going to disappear suddenly. Chances of Monero being replaced by another cryptocurrency is very slim as they would have to have continuous development and most likely start from scratch like Monero if they wanted to replace it.

Great post. I always say ( since 2014 ), marketing is a cool thing but in the end it is selling something, a real good project DOES NOT need that, the project will speak for itself and people will see little by little. For the moment seems i was right as we got a DNM, Finex, Kraken and many more things propably to come.... all WITHOUT marketing budget... just the project and its community speaking for itself... demand comes not from sales pitching, but from real need.

@coinling https://github.com/monero-project/monero... there you can see the Donation Adress Smiley btw shouldnt that change for 2017 or did it already?
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 03:26:32 AM

I think there's a 4th basic category of user adoption, which has not gotten very large yet *but* IMHO could potentially become the biggest one of all.

Let's call them...

4) The FungibiliFreaks  Grin

These would be bitcoin users who have been bitten by BTC's lack of true fungibility, i.e. people who have had a coinbase account closed on them due to 'tainted' coins coming into their wallet from 4+ hops earlier, etc., even if they themselves never did anything questionable at all.  Stuff like this that we all *know* is going to be impacting BTC adoption and actual real-world *use* more and more over time, especially as the so-called "chainalysis" gets stronger.

Personally, I am not doing it yet, myself, but more and more I feel like I may be turning into a FungibiliFreak, LOL  Grin

What I mean by this is: lately I've been thinking that the best way to manage all my crypto-currency use the BEST way, is gonna be to simply keep nearly all of it in Monero, at first, and only quickly "flip over" some XMR, to BITCOIN, whenever I need it to be spendable... something like that.  And then, when buying-back the BTC I've spent, before ever *using* it, I'd always FIRST put it BACK into the MONERO stash!

Doing things this way, basically means XMR's fungibility is front-and-center, making all my crypto use "as good as cash", since any Bitcoin in my wallet was always first acquired "clean" from an untrackable Monero source (even if it's just a few dollar's worth, quickly and simply on Poloniex or thru ShapeShift).

This would mean BTC only, small amounts, kept in a daily-use spendable wallet, but my REAL WEALTH stored in "bulk", long-term, safely, quietly, and privately in MONERO.

What do you guys think...?  Anyone else feel like they may be turning into a FungibiliFreak...?  OR maybe you already *know* you ARE one?? LOL

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2017, 03:40:22 AM

I think there's a 4th basic category of user adoption, which has not gotten very large yet *but* IMHO could potentially become the biggest one of all.

Let's call them...

These would be bitcoin users who have been bitten by BTC's lack of true fungibility, i.e. people who have had a coinbase account closed on them due to 'tainted' coins coming into their wallet from 4+ hops earlier, etc., even if they themselves never did anything questionable at all.  Stuff like this that we all *know* is going to be impacting BTC adoption and actual real-world *use* more and more over time, especially as the so-called "chainalysis" gets stronger.

Personally, I am not doing it yet, myself, but more and more I feel like I may be turning into a FungibiliFreak, LOL  Grin

What I mean by this is: lately I've been thinking that the best way to manage all my crypto-currency use the BEST way, is gonna be to simply keep nearly all of it in Monero, at first, and only quickly "flip over" some XMR, to BITCOIN, whenever I need it to be spendable... something like that.  And then, when buying-back the BTC I've spent, before ever *using* it, I'd always FIRST put it BACK into the MONERO stash!

Doing things this way, basically means XMR's fungibility is front-and-center, making all my crypto use "as good as cash", since any Bitcoin in my wallet was always first acquired "clean" from an untrackable Monero source (even if it's just a few dollar's worth, quickly and simply on Poloniex or thru ShapeShift).

This would mean BTC only, small amounts, kept in a daily-use spendable wallet, but my REAL WEALTH stored in "bulk", long-term, safely, quietly, and privately in MONERO.

What do you guys think...?  Anyone else feel like they may be turning into a FungibiliFreak...?  OR maybe you already *know* you ARE one?? LOL

Not a bad idea. Could be held back until someone comes through with a hardware wallet for Monero. I know Ledger is working on one but no ETA.

johnsmithx

Activity: 589
Merit: 507

I don't buy nor sell anything here and never will.

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 05:23:56 AM

These would be bitcoin users who have been bitten by BTC's lack of true fungibility, i.e. people who have had a coinbase account closed on them due to 'tainted' coins coming into their wallet from 4+ hops earlier, etc., even if they themselves never did anything questionable at all.  Stuff like this that we all *know* is going to be impacting BTC adoption and actual real-world *use* more and more over time, especially as the so-called "chainalysis" gets stronger.

No, we all do not *know* stuff like this is going to be impacting BTC adoption and actual real-world *use* more and more over time. Speak for yourself, nobody elected you to speak on their behalf, and don't present your personal opinion as if it was anything better than just that. Over time everybody will have "tainted" bitcoins so your little theory is baseless. Besides, there is nothing easier than to launder your "tainted" bitcoins through any exchange, or just use any mixer.

My list of 43(+3) reviewed Bitcoin forks | You don't have to download the pre-fork blockchain again for each fork! | Beware of fraudulent AWS accounts sellers and dangerous edu AWS codes! + My personal list of legit sellers and scammers | Never publicly reveal your btc addresses, ownership or any other details and stay very far away from anybody who asks you to! | The general rule of safe buying is: if the seller is a newbie, with no reputation, with no topic nor trust feedback, offering no vouches and/or selling from a locked or self-moderated topic and unwilling to go first or use escrow => AVOID. Always check the trust feedback first and make sure that you have enabled "Show untrusted feedback by default" in "Profile / Forum Profile Information".
ozkraut

Activity: 522
Merit: 266

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 07:17:45 AM

These would be bitcoin users who have been bitten by BTC's lack of true fungibility, i.e. people who have had a coinbase account closed on them due to 'tainted' coins coming into their wallet from 4+ hops earlier, etc., even if they themselves never did anything questionable at all.  Stuff like this that we all *know* is going to be impacting BTC adoption and actual real-world *use* more and more over time, especially as the so-called "chainalysis" gets stronger.

No, we all do not *know* stuff like this is going to be impacting BTC adoption and actual real-world *use* more and more over time. Speak for yourself, nobody elected you to speak on their behalf, and don't present your personal opinion as if it was anything better than just that. Over time everybody will have "tainted" bitcoins so your little theory is baseless. Besides, there is nothing easier than to launder your "tainted" bitcoins through any exchange, or just use any mixer.

Wow. Precious stuff! This is the first time in all these years where a coin gets a BTC shill! Wow just wow. Monero is rattling some cages. Dont worry BTC is still King.

Monero - Wir sind die Leute vor denen uns unsere Eltern gewarnt haben!
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 10:00:23 AM

Great post. I always say ( since 2014 ), marketing is a cool thing but in the end it is selling something, a real good project DOES NOT need that, the project will speak for itself and people will see little by little. For the moment seems i was right as we got a DNM, Finex, Kraken and many more things propably to come.... all WITHOUT marketing budget... just the project and its community speaking for itself... demand comes not from sales pitching, but from real need.

@coinling https://github.com/monero-project/monero... there you can see the Donation Adress Smiley btw shouldnt that change for 2017 or did it already?

I couldn't disagree more on this.
You are saying in indirect manner that everybody who needs Monero will found it.
You are forgetting that the most people are not like you - they are average Joe's watching TV, drinking diet coke and eating processed food and when they go to pick up the daily mail they take a car/rollator to do so. Still, they might have a need for Monero.
Those people are going to find Monero only when they hear it from the sources they are following. Despite the project might speak for itself, the problem is that people who need it cannot hear the speech.

There are different ways how to get publicity... One way is to pump the price and people start discussing about Monero everywhere and even mainsteam media starts to pay attention to it and the community will grow.
The second approach is the way the Dark coin community does: They have hired "shills" to make sure people speak about it.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 10:12:51 AM

Let's call them...

Not a bad idea. Could be held back until someone comes through with a hardware wallet for Monero. I know Ledger is working on one but no ETA.

I adore hardware wallets, bitcoin Trezor especially is something I like very much. Sure it is a little bit expensive but it is a cheap insurance against hackers - 100 usd and you are safe pretty much "the rest of your life".
kurious
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 10:34:59 AM

You are saying in indirect manner that everybody who needs Monero will found it.
You are forgetting that the most people are not like you - they are average Joe's watching TV, drinking diet coke and eating processed food and when they go to pick up the daily mail they take a car/rollator to do so. Still, they might have a need for Monero.
Those people are going to find Monero only when they hear it from the sources they are following. Despite the project might speak for itself, the problem is that people who need it cannot hear the speech.

There are different ways how to get publicity... One way is to pump the price and people start discussing about Monero everywhere and even mainsteam media starts to pay attention to it and the community will grow.
The second approach is the way the Dark coin community does: They have hired "shills" to make sure people speak about it.

Respectfully - paid shills is beneath Monero - so I disagree with this.  And we don't 'pump' Monero, it responds to market sentiment and news.

As for funding - whenever the devs have requested funding for development projects it has been funded pretty quickly by Monero supporters this far.

I am sure specific marketing efforts will be similarly received and supported in future, too. We are not exactly struggling in terms of what the devs have done to develop Monero. Anyone who bought more than a few months ago has seen an appreciation in their net worth because of it.

This cannot be said of most coins. And even the rise in BTC was not as good in 2016 as the rise in Monero.

Let's count our blessings, eh?

我想要火箭和火车
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 10:55:02 AM

Respectfully - paid shills is beneath Monero - so I disagree with this.  And we don't 'pump' Monero, it responds to market sentiment and news.

As for funding - whenever the devs have requested funding for development projects it has been funded pretty quickly by Monero supporters this far.

I am sure specific marketing efforts will be similarly received and supported in future, too. We are not exactly struggling in terms of what the devs have done to develop Monero. Anyone who bought more than a few months ago has seen an appreciation in their net worth because of it.

This cannot be said of most coins. And even the rise in BTC was not as good in 2016 as the rise in Monero.

Let's count our blessings, eh?

Partly true and partly untrue.

The true part: Responding to the sentiment and some news.
The untrue part: some news are already in the price so when the news come out, it will not rise in price. When ringCT was official the price was prefertably declining slowly rather than rising because it was expected thing to take place. In the same manner, I am not expecting kovri to have any impact on the price when it is actualized.

The news that Monero price responded were D.N.M. acceptance because it came all of sudden without pre-warning.
Kraken had very short term affect on the price as well as bitfinex.

2016 was very good for Monero - will 2017 be similar to Monero as well - that's the big question mark?
Chances are btc will reach ATH which might bring some extra demand for Monero as bitcoin maximalists start to diversifying. Let's hope they will not diversify into Dark coin though.
KeyJockey

Activity: 608
Merit: 509

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 03:44:33 PM

Wow. Precious stuff! This is the first time in all these years where a coin gets a BTC shill! Wow just wow. Monero is rattling some cages...

LOL, absolutely.  Such responses only means ("to me"... <ahem>, my opinion) that Monero is totally on the right track  Cheesy

What would aminorex do?

He's still around online actually: or at least someone's been using his name posting on other sites like ZeroHedge (promoting Monero often in bitcoin related articles) but still for some reason has abandoned threads like this here on BitcoinTalk.  Maybe it's a protest against Theymos or something...

Hey IF you're reading this Aminorex, come back bro!  We miss you... LOL

- 1KeyJKVWVxdavKTetDJpQWdUaota5jbtX6 -
Periodik

Activity: 1022
Merit: 256

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 03:46:30 PM

Good to see some monero speculation here. Are there transactions that monero accepted already like bitcoin?
flagel8

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 05:27:12 PM

Good to see some monero speculation here. Are there transactions that monero accepted already like bitcoin?

Saw this a few days ago. Seller offered a discount for Monero, but sold for USD via P@ypal in the end.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/seiko-skx007-iconic-diver-classic-3953418.html

"I have received queries about Monero. Here's a link to HOURS and HOURS of fun reading on the subject. https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/ TL/DR? It's a peer to peer cryptocurrency. Think of it as a vastly superior Bitcoin 2.0, with enhanced security and privacy features.

If you pay in Monero, it'll be fun! You'll learn a lot about the future of money. AND you will get get a substantial discount over the USD price of the watch. And I'll ship immediately. With paypal, you will have to wait until the payment clears. And pay a higher price. Which can be fun too. for me

Edit: Sold, for 111 USD. Will continue to offer watches for Monero. It's the better way!"

Maybe... it's happening?

kurious
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 05:35:24 PM

Saw this a few days ago. Seller offered a discount for Monero, but sold for USD via P@ypal in the end.

"I have received queries about Monero. Here's a link to HOURS and HOURS of fun reading on the subject. https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/ TL/DR? It's a peer to peer cryptocurrency. Think of it as a vastly superior Bitcoin 2.0, with enhanced security and privacy features.

If you pay in Monero, it'll be fun! You'll learn a lot about the future of money. AND you will get get a substantial discount over the USD price of the watch. And I'll ship immediately. With paypal, you will have to wait until the payment clears. And pay a higher price. Which can be fun too. for me

Edit: Sold, for 111 USD. Will continue to offer watches for Monero. It's the better way!"

Maybe... it's happening?

Well, I just checked and MoneroBay.com (as well as Cryptobay.com) have already been registered.

But a (non-darkweb) Ebay type space accepting Monero would be rather good.  I am gagging to use Monero to buy stuff.

我想要火箭和火车
pa

Activity: 527
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 06:03:25 PM

Let's call them...

I admit to fungibilitiphilia. Not quite as far gone as you, but heading there.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 06:14:30 PM

Maybe... it's happening?

If I knew I might have bought - but I would have offered only 6 XMR (you know, I am the stingy guy).  Tongue

High quality genuine wrist watches are cool but never pay what you are asked to pay.
flagel8

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 06:46:29 PM

Maybe... it's happening?

If I knew I might have bought - but I would have offered only 6 XMR (you know, I am the stingy guy).  Tongue

High quality genuine wrist watches are cool but never pay what you are asked to pay.

Well, you would have lost then, I am guessing. Since he already offered a discount for Monero, and in the end, sold it for his asking price, in USD. Anyway, I'm going to keep an eye out to see if this idea gains traction. Might buy something, though I prefer Citizens and G-Shocks, myself.
TrueCryptonaire
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 06:51:03 PM

Maybe... it's happening?

Well, you would have lost then, I am guessing. Since he already offered a discount for Monero, and in the end, sold it for his asking price, in USD. Anyway, I'm going to keep an eye out to see if this idea gains traction. Might buy something, though I prefer Citizens and G-Shocks, myself.

Actually my first offer is -50 % from the asking but then I am "generous" and pay 75 % of the asking price.
Often I am not able to buy anything but whenever someone wants to sell I make a good deal.
If people start to selling good stuff in Moneros I am sure I am able to bargain something interesting.
Actually, things like this create value for the coin (most likely the seller is not going to dump Moneros any time soon but rather wait patiently once the price skyrockets and the buyer probably will replace the Moneros thus creating demand).
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
January 22, 2017, 08:19:44 PM

Let's call them...

I admit to fungibilitiphilia. Not quite as far gone as you, but heading there.

I determined that BTC was not what I wanted it to be, nor going where I wanted it to go a long time ago.  The Monero road map suits me much, much better.  It has been amazing to  watch this project grow and mature.  All of the things that seemed fantastic in 2014 are being implemented, and exponential growth on all fronts seems to be happening!  Go Fungible Coin!

IIRC Aminorex called $25 as a mode for 2017.  With the financial world changing and rocking faster and harder, I think this ends up being a very conservative number.  Starting the year over C$24 (Jan 4) was a great start in my book.  A year will tell  Lips sealed
Pages: « 1 ... 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 [1331] 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 1343 1344 1345 1346 1347 1348 1349 1350 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 1366 1367 1368 1369 1370 1371 1372 1373 1374 1375 1376 1377 1378 1379 1380 1381 ... 2191 »
  Print  

Jump to: