Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 02:30:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Unveiling the truth over the major Monero scam  (Read 69408 times)
Videodrome

Activity: 588
Merit: 503

Free Julian Assange

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 01:50:23 PM

..and why a spanish name with all french devs?

This is because they buy the project.

TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 01:52:52 PM

LOL XMR dev responds to my post in few seconds. He does nothing but sitting on BTC forum and spamming non-stop. Go and develop your coin man!

When an asshole needs wiped, no use waiting around. 

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 01:54:08 PM

..and why a spanish name with all french devs?

This is because they buy the project.

Esperanto is not Spanish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto

farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 04:07:44 PM

LOL XMR dev responds to my post in few seconds. He does nothing but sitting on BTC forum and spamming non-stop. Go and develop your coin man!
I was once told that smooth isn't human and that he can answer in multiple threads , chat in different irc rooms and write code all at the same time- so no worries.

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
volyova
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 04:16:13 PM

"The Cryptonote/Bytecoin codebase #XMR is based on is atrociously bad, orders of magnitude worse than #Bitcoin. WTF: "- Peter Todd.

volyova
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 04:17:35 PM

Peter Todd's first Twitter post has been removed and all that is left is something less frank and open about his true views. Guess if you are being paid you should try not to say your clients crap is 'crap'.

https://twitter.com/petertoddbtc/status/507427225927708672

I'm out of this shit. Far too much manipulation going on. It stinks to high heaven.

I removed it because I meant to say "much of" - the Tweet as originally written gave the inaccurate impression that Cryptonote is written exclusively in C, which just isn't true. I removed it pretty quickly, within about an hour.

Anyway, code quality is a relative thing; consensus-critical code in cryptocoins needs to have very high standards to be safe and secure. In most cases something like this set of unittests for this code that I'm working on for another project would be considered pretty good, but in the context of consensus-critical I'd consider that code to be really rushed. It'll take a lot more documentation and testing before I'd be anywhere close to trusting it, as well as more thought towards how to make sure others can easily read the code. Even then I still have my doubts that the algorithm is worth the relatively high complexity and thus peer-review penalty compared to a more simple algorithm. (not to mention the language - Python - is kinda suspect due to typesafety issues) But I am on a deadline to get a prototype done, so it'll do for now.
This "coin" is a piece of shit. Confirmed.
volyova
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 04:29:27 PM

Also it seems that "smooth" (according to my researches) is the most prolific forum poster ever! How in the hell does he have time to be the (so-called) lead dev?? I'll tell you why...because there is nobody involved with Monero who is capable of developing Monero. This is the conclusion I have reached (according to my researches).

When a coin developer waists all his time in spamming his competitors this coin will never be respected. Non-stop falling of XMR against BTC and USD shows pretty good where XMR goes.

This poll demonstrates very well the reputation of smooth:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1151565.0

Obviously a lot of your post is opinion, to which you are entitled. But not the part about "non-stop falling" against USD. That is wrong. The current 44c price is in line with where it has been quite often over the past year or longer, and it has certainly been lower (as low as half that, if not lower).

Also, to correct volyova, I'm not a "the lead dev", we have no such title.

EDIT: For example, troll thread from last year: Monero under 25 cents? What the hell are you waiting for? For the math challenged that is a 76% increase.
LOLZ, so you are reduced to "splitting hairs" now? lmao
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2015, 04:37:49 PM

Also it seems that "smooth" (according to my researches) is the most prolific forum poster ever! How in the hell does he have time to be the (so-called) lead dev?? I'll tell you why...because there is nobody involved with Monero who is capable of developing Monero. This is the conclusion I have reached (according to my researches).

When a coin developer waists all his time in spamming his competitors this coin will never be respected. Non-stop falling of XMR against BTC and USD shows pretty good where XMR goes.

Obviously a lot of your post is opinion, to which you are entitled. But not the part about "non-stop falling" against USD. That is wrong. The current 44c price is in line with where it has been quite often over the past year or longer, and it has certainly been lower (as low as half that, if not lower).

EDIT: For example, troll thread from last year: Monero under 25 cents? What the hell are you waiting for? For the math challenged that is a 76% increase.

I guess being corrected is splitting hairs when you're the the one being corrected for being factually challenged.

volyova
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 04:47:27 PM

I guess being corrected is splitting hairs when you're the the one being corrected for being factually challenged.
"factually challenged." (??). LEL do you really think it matters (in the grand scheme of things) if "smooth's" job title is "dev", or "lead dev", or "core dev"?? Maybe you are mentally challenged.
volyova
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 04:50:12 PM

I removed it because I meant to say "much of" - the Tweet as originally written gave the inaccurate impression that Cryptonote is written exclusively in C, which just isn't true. I removed it pretty quickly, within about an hour.

In fact the only part that is written in C are the crypto libraries, most of which probably came from other projects (though much the history is not visible to us).

Yup, which is a pretty serious problem because you need to be able to audit that those libraries were actually copied over correctly, are up to date, and actually do what they claim to do; sounds like there's even real reasons to suspect that the codebase may even have backdoors and other flaws deliberately added by the original CN team, let alone more prosaic flaws. While Bitcoin's use of OpenSSL had it's own set of problems, it did ensure that the huge C codebase of OpenSSL was at least the same huge C codebase everyone else used, flaws and all.

Monero :-/
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1115

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 04:53:57 PM

Copy of my reply to the same very old misleading info you posted on the other thread:

The Cryptonote/Bytecoin codebase #XMR is based on is atrociously bad, orders of magnitude worse than #Bitcoin. WTF: - Peter Todd.

That tweet is like 15 months old, and the file he was referring to has been re-written:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1129750.msg11933120#msg11933120

Since you brought it up, here's a more recent Peter Todd tweet, only about 9 months old:
https://twitter.com/petertoddbtc/status/579092073875308545
"I probably should get around to finally buying some #Monero; @xmr_to is a pretty clever service. https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2zrdxz/withdrawals_halted_as_stolen_evolution_coins_make/ …"

volyova
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 05:17:47 PM

Copy of my reply to the same very old misleading info you posted on the other thread:

The Cryptonote/Bytecoin codebase #XMR is based on is atrociously bad, orders of magnitude worse than #Bitcoin. WTF: - Peter Todd.

That tweet is like 15 months old, and the file he was referring to has been re-written:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1129750.msg11933120#msg11933120

Since you brought it up, here's a more recent Peter Todd tweet, only about 9 months old:
https://twitter.com/petertoddbtc/status/579092073875308545
"I probably should get around to finally buying some #Monero; @xmr_to is a pretty clever service. https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2zrdxz/withdrawals_halted_as_stolen_evolution_coins_make/ …"

I know it was re-written, smart guy. The above quote is what it says now. What it originally said was: "The uncommented C code CryptoNote is written in is awful; There's no way this crap doesn't have multiple buffer overflow exploits in it" Do you like the original quote better? LMAO
volyova
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 06:02:32 PM

So what? The code base is brand new and needs work. Every Monero investor should know this.

Bitcoin was crap as a stack of cards at one point, it even had freaking goto loops in the code.

Lets keep the record straight: Bitcoin v1.0 had significantly better code quality than Cryptonote does from what I've seen; I just checked and there weren't any goto statements in the codebase. Cleaning up this mess isn't going to be easy, although it certainly is doable.

I'd strongly suggest taking the good part of Cryptonote - the ring signatures - and porting them over to the Satoshi codebase. Monero could be re-released based on that much better codebase and the UTXO set ported over at the same time so all coin owners on the old system were coin owners on the new system.

Creating an exodus option to move over to Bitcoin codebase would be the death of Monero.

There have been too many issues that have come to light recently.

The mining exploit that has been going on and has just been disclosed shocked me.

This attack, given Peter Todd's analysis, is just another major issue that I'm finding it hard to live with.

It's starting to sound like the original Cryptonote code was used to scam people by introducing something new and different. Those of us that have bought into its promise, in good faith, may just be at the tail end of the scam.

This looks like an unravelling of the problems, not a temporary blimp. At the back of my mind now is: 'what next?'

I'm an investor, Peter Todd is more competent to give a technical analysis. It doesn't look good.

Exactly. Pretty much directly after the Mining Software disclosure I got out with a good 30% profit. And I'm pretty sure I won't regret it, ever.

Peter Todd's first Twitter post has been removed and all that is left is something less frank and open about his true views. Guess if you are being paid you should try not to say your clients crap is 'crap'.

I'm out of this shit. Far too much manipulation going on. It stinks to high heaven.
callynyan

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 06:03:53 PM

It's quite a show for the non-altcoinist over here!
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 07:44:09 PM
Last edit: December 11, 2015, 07:58:32 PM by smooth

Since you are quoting a 15 month post I suppose this has already been addressed, but Peter Todd was not paid by Monero.

We were talking to him about doing some review and perhaps other work but he decided against it because he wanted to stick to working on Bitcoin forks, as he explained here:

There was no "manipulation", he just changed his opinion as he learned more.

It means it would be so extensively modified to be almost unrecognizable by the time you were done.

Monero was just not a good fit for the type of work Peter wanted to do, which was to focus on working on coins that all use the same code base so his existing knowledge of the code would be valuable and provide synergies for him between projects. That's exactly what he told us.

+1

Each project you get yourself involved with is a significant mental overhead, especially when what the codebase is doing is similar, but not 100% identical, to other codebases you work on. Even on Bitcoin itself I specialize on one specific aspect of it, the consensus critical code, and within that, the scripting system.

On the topic of the small amount of "C code", he said this:

In fact the only part that is written in C are the crypto libraries, most of which probably came from other projects (though much the history is not visible to us).

Yup, which is a pretty serious problem because you need to be able to audit that those libraries were actually copied over correctly, are up to date, and actually do what they claim to do; sounds like there's even real reasons to suspect that the codebase may even have backdoors and other flaws deliberately added by the original CN team, let alone more prosaic flaws. While Bitcoin's use of OpenSSL had it's own set of problems, it did ensure that the huge C codebase of OpenSSL was at least the same huge C codebase everyone else used, flaws and all.

But again to be clear, like I've said elsewhere, these are all fixable problems and the Monero team is working on fixing them.

Which is exactly what has been done since. The unclear code was completely written and extensively commented (so much so that it regularly gets praise now from people who look at it work with it) and the code that was a copy of an external library (djb's crypto) was replaced with the actual library itself.

volyova
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 07:58:53 PM

Since you are quoting a 15 month post I suppose this has already been addressed, but Peter Todd was not paid by Monero.

We were talking to him about doing some review and perhaps other work but he decided against it because he wanted to stick to working on Bitcoin forks, as he explained here:

There was no "manipulation", he just changed his opinion as he learned more.

It means it would be so extensively modified to be almost unrecognizable by the time you were done.

Monero was just not a good fit for the type of work Peter wanted to do, which was to focus on working on coins that all use the same code base so his existing knowledge of the code would be valuable and provide synergies for him between projects. That's exactly what he told us.

+1

Each project you get yourself involved with is a significant mental overhead, especially when what the codebase is doing is similar, but not 100% identical, to other codebases you work on. Even on Bitcoin itself I specialize on one specific aspect of it, the consensus critical code, and within that, the scripting system.

Don't lie. Everyone knows that NO development of any consequence has happened with Monero for a very long time. That is because "nobody involved with Monero is capable of developing Monero". You see, that quote is an old and oft repeated quote as well, isn't it? But it's still relevant because nothing has changed.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 08:03:07 PM

Don't lie. Everyone knows that NO development of any consequence has happened with Monero for a very long time.

The only one lying here is you.

"Everybody" in your quote must refer to people who are unable to use github.

which consists of pages and pages of commits by 32 contributors. See for yourself: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/commits/master

volyova
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 08:05:01 PM

Don't lie. Everyone knows that NO development of any consequence has happened with Monero for a very long time.

which consists of pages and pages of commits by 32 contributors. See for yourself: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/commits/master

Quantity does not imply QUALITY dumbarse. I could point you to a massive pile of shit and say "that's amazing, look, there's so much of it!" LMAO
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 08:06:23 PM

Quantity does not imply QUALITY dumbarse.

Yes and I bet YOU are more qualified to judge the quality NOW than Peter Todd, etc. (who thinks it is "genuine crypto" and something his should buy some of).

ROFL.
volyova
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 08:10:44 PM

Quantity does not imply QUALITY dumbarse.

Yes and I bet YOU are more qualified to judge the quality NOW than Peter Todd, etc. (who thinks it is "genuine crypto" and something his should buy some of).

ROFL.

Yes, and Peter Todd said that the quality was "awful", and "atrociously bad". Maybe you should get a proper review? But that will never happen, will it? QED
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »
  Print  

Jump to: