Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:51:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Unveiling the truth over the major Monero scam  (Read 69404 times)
Anotheranonlol

Activity: 588
Merit: 504

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 05:58:40 PM

We need someone to create lyrics about this thread, then hire a singer and make a song about all this craziness. This has the potential to become zhoutonged material. I'm already ready to donate.

The picture is very nice. Dont forget to mention rpietilia though!

I love the idea of "Black PR hype". Keep the good work guys!

Yes, this has to be marketing for XMR, or at least CN. Intentionally creating a bit of buzz and mystery to this saga. Does a great job for proliferation of this tech

Yes, Cheesus, Hexah, and Rias are Monero shill accounts. You figured it out, congrats!

Who said those guys are working in co-operation with you and the rest of the monero heavy posters. Didn't say they were on the payroll. This drama is great news for cryptonote.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
darlidada

Activity: 723
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 06:00:43 PM

We need someone to create lyrics about this thread, then hire a singer and make a song about all this craziness. This has the potential to become zhoutonged material. I'm already ready to donate.

Yes, this has to be marketing for XMR, or at least CN. Intentionally creating a bit of buzz and mystery to this saga. Does a great job for proliferation of this tech

Yes, Cheesus, Hexah, and Rias are Monero shill accounts. You figured it out, congrats!

What we meant is that such an absurd thread is doing the reverse of what they are trying to achieve. It's also giving me the idea about a song written from the point of view of a bcn shill to expose their premine and their idiotic thinking

It would be entitled "BLACK PR" and would start with something like this:

Browsing bitcointalk, threads about XMR everywhere....
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 06:03:28 PM

What we meant is that such an absurd thread is doing the reverse of what they are trying to achieve.

Exactly!

Here's a twisted theory though. What if Cheesus, Hexah, Rias, Wassnet, et. all are behind the botnets, they actually want to support XMR, not hurt it, and their effort here actually is intended to promote XMR?

It's absolutely brilliant!

In that case, I say, thank you guys! Just keep doing what you're doing.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 06:18:22 PM

What we meant is that such an absurd thread is doing the reverse of what they are trying to achieve.

Exactly!

Here's a twisted theory though. What if Cheesus, Hexah, Rias, Wassnet, et. all are behind the botnets, they actually want to support XMR, not hurt it, and their effort here actually is intended to promote XMR?

Although that would be genius and I would like to see someone actually execute such a feat...I suspect they are not that bright.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2014, 06:36:33 PM

Although that would be genius and I would like to see someone actually execute such a feat...I suspect they are not that bright.
Plot twist: It was smoothie the whole time  Huh
Well people will always fight here from the looks of it. Whatever the 'shills' say bad about Monero it won't have almost any effect on it really.
Why would someone with common sense listen to puppet accounts/newbies/members?
Instead of fighting there should be cooperation and better thing could come out for the whole crypto scene.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
samaricanin

Activity: 697
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 06:39:49 PM

When I see this topic I cant stop to laugh

beat this;

Bytecoin

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=a_massive_investigation_of_instamines_and_fastmines_for_the_top_alt_coins#bytecoin1

Monero

http://www.devtome.com/doku.php?id=a_massive_investigation_of_instamines_and_fastmines_for_the_top_alt_coins#monero

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 07:10:47 PM

Coins $60/day volume don't even belong on a site with "top" altcoins. More like dead altcoins. Killed by the idiots who tried to use fraud to promote it. They could have been Monero, or bigger. That they are not must eat at their souls ever single day.

bangersdad

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 07:12:01 PM

The Monero XMR Scam Uncovered
 My last thought might be a bit brave, but could rpietila's money be the actual target of this scam scheme?

ok so we need a bit of a collection to try and help Rpietila out then guys. He must be such a sucker to fall for such a dirty trick as that  

Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy

this is the funniest thread currently on btctalk - it wins the award for the most desperate FUD attempts of 2014 - congratulations.

the only problem i am afraid is all winnings are to be paid in bytecoin   Grin   as if you haven't got enough weighing down your bags
rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 07:22:00 PM

Coins $60/day volume don't even belong on a site with "top" altcoins. More like dead altcoins. Killed by the idiots who tried to use fraud to promote it. They could have been Monero, or bigger. That they are not must eat at their souls ever single day.

I'm seeing $4,500ish on coinmarketcap .. . .
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 07:27:30 PM

$60 was quoted on this thread from the other day. But wow, $4500. Such volume.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 08:20:44 PM
Last edit: August 26, 2014, 08:37:45 PM by ArticMine

I am going to focus on the botnet issue because it is the only valid criticism I have seen of XMR among pages and pages of anti XMR posts. As fluffypony has correctly pointed out above virtually every POW coin and all POS coins are vulnerable to this. The notable exceptions at this point is XBT, and coins such as NMC that are merged mined with XBT because of ASIC mining. To understand and deal with this issue we must go to the root cause and recognize a fundamental flaw in distributed crypto currency models:

The solution here is to move the functions critical to the security of a coin away from DRM infected propriety operating systems such as Microsoft Windows to FLOSS operating systems such as GNU/Linux. In particular with a POW coin this means mining. This can be accomplished in a CPU / GPU coin by developing, releasing and supporting mining software only on GNU/Linux, and even going as far as avoiding cross platform development tools for the mining components. Making the mining software highly optimized for GNU/Linux. Targeting the ARM platform for mining is also a possibility. The idea is to make mining the coin far more efficient on GNU/Linux than on Microsoft Windows thereby putting botnets at a significant disadvantage.

This excludes that vast majority including over 98% of desktop / laptop computers running propriety Microsoft Windows or OS X

Since when do people not get root access on OSX or have control of their system? Sure Apple has a walled garden with gatekeeper and AMFI by default, a user can override this if they wish. It's not really DRM as much as it is codesigning enforcement.

All coins are of course vulnerable to botnet mining,  CPU coins especially so. The largest XMR miner on minergate, botnet also. There are numerous ones mining XMR, and more will come for sure as the coin increases in value & exposure. I the  don't see it as huge issue personally, botherder tend to dump regularly instead of hoard. In some cases the market will feel no impact, because smart accumulator comes along with some webmoney to speak with, for all he knows is a AWS miner. Trying (and failing) to relegate CPU/GPU PoW on 'gnu/linux' than windows won't fix anything in long-term and it simply creates an uneven playing field and diminishes the user base

Actually coins that are mined with ASICS and FPGAS are not vulnerable since these devices run GNU/Linux. To have control of one's computing devices one needs both root (obviously) and a FLOSS OS since a propriety OS involves trusting the OS vendor typically a large corporation that there a no "malicious features" in the OS. If furthermore the OS is infected with DRM security analysis of the OS becomes illegal because of anti-circumvention laws. This discourages the good guys but not the bad guys. The bottom line here is that an OS vendor can either make the security and privacy of the end user paramount or the security and greed of organizations such as the MPAA, NFL etc paramount, but not both. One simply cannot serve two masters and no matter hard Microsoft or Apple tries they will fail to protect the end user.

GNU/Linux is FLOSS and also has enough GPLv3 code deep inside the OS to ensure that the owner of the has to be provided with root access. OS X comes close for historical reasons; since it does have a fair amount of FLOSS in the OS and the "owner" of a Apple PC is still granted access  to root by Apple. The problem here is that Apple has built a hugely successful business around DRM infected locked down devices in IOS. Furthermore code signing is how DRM is enforced in IOS, and it is a gatekeeper "upgrade" away in OS X. In the meantime any GNU/Linux optimized code can easily be ported to OS X.

Microsoft Windows is another matter. The operating system source code is a closely guarded secret when it comes to individuals and small business but it is provided on a regular basis to "trusted" partners such as the NSA (United States), the FSB (Russia) the PLA (China), and a host of other governments and large corporations. Microsoft is also a founding member of PRISM. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_%28surveillance_program%29. If you are a Microsoft Windows user I suggest reading the EULA in particular the section on "malicious software" Who determines if software is malicious? If one clicks "I agree" on the EULA one has given permission to Microsoft to remove crypto-currency software including files such as wallet.dat, wallet.bin etc., should a crypto-currency be deemed "malicious" by a government or by Microsoft itself.

When it comes to POW coins it is very important to recognize that most users do not need to be securing the network. All that is needed for this task is a widely distributed group of individuals that have complete control over their computing devices. It is for this reason that when it comes to mining the use of GNU/Linux must be encouraged and the use of Microsoft Windows discouraged. The objective here is to create a strong enough network of secure computers mining on GNU/Linux rather than to try to prevent mining on Microsoft Windows. Regular users should of course be able to use Microsoft Windows, just as they should be able to provide their private keys to the NSA, the FSB, the PLA, etc. if they should also choose.

Edit: Windows botnets are really a symptom of a much worse problem.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 08:37:19 PM

$60 was quoted on this thread from the other day. But wow, $4500. Such volume.

Yea yea ... I'm no bytecoin fan.  Still dying tho - give it another month.

Kinda fun to see vert at 4X bytecoins volume Tongue
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 08:41:46 PM

No, you have it wrong.

Windows botnets are not the fault of Microsoft, nor the fault of users who don''t maintain their computers properly.

They are entirely the fault of Monero devs, shills, and whales.

Got it?

TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 08:44:22 PM

No, you have it wrong.

Windows botnets are not the fault of Microsoft, nor the fault of users who don''t maintain their computers properly.

They are entirely the fault of Monero devs, shills, and whales.

Got it?

Do the large red letters signify anything?

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2014, 08:48:35 PM

Do the large red letters signify anything?

Yes, it's Bytecoin code for cool.

murraypaul

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 08:53:45 PM

Actually coins that are mined with ASICS and FPGAS are not vulnerable since these devices run GNU/Linux.

http://www.wired.com/2014/08/isp-bitcoin-theft/
Enough devices were redirected to mine ~$83,000 worth of coins.

GNU/Linux is FLOSS and also has enough GPLv3 code deep inside the OS to ensure that the owner of the has to be provided with root access.

So much wrong.
There is no GPLv3-only code 'deep inside the OS', because Linux is licensed under GPLv2.
And there are millions of linux based devices out there for which the owner has not been provided with root access.

BTC: 16TgAGdiTSsTWSsBDphebNJCFr1NT78xFW
SRC: scefi1XMhq91n3oF5FrE3HqddVvvCZP9KB
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 09:07:01 PM

Two can play this game.

Monero is the best!

TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 09:08:24 PM

Two can play this game.

Monero is the best!

there's a "two/three" joke in here somewhere.  I'll get back to you.

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 09:08:28 PM

watching this important forensic work and insightful, intelligent debate.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
canonsburg

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 09:15:16 PM

Monero is a false flag planted by the NSA to steal all your monies!

/S Roll Eyes
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »
  Print  

Jump to: