Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:20:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... 159 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [~1000 GH/sec] BTC Guild - 0% Fee Pool, LP, SSL, Full Precision, and More  (Read 379025 times)
inh

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 11:32:27 PM

I <3 BTCG

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
IlbiStarz

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 12:11:30 AM

I don't know why, but I've starting getting an error.

In my rig there's a 6990 and 6870. My 6990 will display one of those errors saying cannot connect with a whole bunch of numbers and lines and stuff, which is normal sometimes for pools. However, a few shares after that prints, the miner will freeze. The 6870 will keep mining tho, which I find weird. If I try to close the miner, my whole computer freezes. This has never happened before until yesterday, and has happened twice now so...anyone got an idea what's going on?
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 12:58:39 AM

In my rig there's a 6990 and 6870. My 6990 will display one of those errors saying cannot connect with a whole bunch of numbers and lines and stuff, which is normal sometimes for pools. However, a few shares after that prints, the miner will freeze. The 6870 will keep mining tho, which I find weird. If I try to close the miner, my whole computer freezes. This has never happened before until yesterday, and has happened twice now so...anyone got an idea what's going on?

If you are overclocked, back it off in case for rough treatment from the pools crap connections ... it will ruin your card if you keep bashing it like that.

IlbiStarz

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 02:21:18 AM

If you are overclocked, back it off in case for rough treatment from the pools crap connections ... it will ruin your card if you keep bashing it like that.

Now it's just stopping at random times. The miner doesn't freeze, it even shows the long polls, new block. There's just no hash rate or shares found...My computer crashes if I close it tho..
Idk this never happened before the new server...and I've been running these clocks since the card came out and I got it for gaming...
Veldy

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 02:31:58 AM
Last edit: June 01, 2011, 02:42:31 AM by Veldy

What miner are you using?  Phoenix, poclbm, etc?  What settings are you using? 

Are you monitoring the temperature of your cards?  Which card is the most open [on most motherboards when you have two cards in your machine, the one closest to your CPU has the least ventilation]?  Are you controlling the fan speeds of your cards to compensate for heat and how about your case fans?

The 6990 will obviously run a LOT hotter.  The 6990 is a dual GPU core version of the 6970 (I believe with slightly lower clock and/or voltage speeds).  My 6970, runs quite hot compared to other cards I have ever owned.  Here is what I run my 6970 at with it as the only card in my machine with fan control on the card and case fans on high to keep the temp at 75C (fan set to 68% fixed right now).  Since I use my computer for remote desktop via VPN a lot to work from home (8-10+ hours per day) and MANY other things running (widgets, services, iTunes and of course web browser), but I am careful not to start any videos (the drivers from AMD for the 69xx series are not yet stable enough to allow watching videos while mining, at least not with GPU use high like 98% plus, which is where mine sits). 

I run a dedicated mining machine with a 5850 in it.  My 5850 runs at 73C in the basement and I use a user defined variable fan speed profile since it rarely changes ... the graph is usually a straight line where my 6970 results in the fan speed fairly straight with little spikes every few minutes ... so I just set it fixed to 68% for now and it is working fine at a constant temp.

I run two machines now [will be three tomorrow or the next day, with the third being Linux].

• WORKSTATION: Windows 7 x64 Pro  i7 960 (4 core 3.2GHz with HT giving 8 logical cores) - CPU is 1-4% for most work while mining.  12GB DDR3 12800 tri-channel.  MSI Radeon 6970 (core clock pushed to 920MHz), two high resolutions monitors (both greater than 1920x1080 ... the stupid standard res they sell now days) 20" and 22" 16x10
  • DEDICATED MINING: Windows 7 x64 Home Premier: Some AMD Phenom II X4 830 (4 core 2.8GHz) with 6GB DDR3 (speed unknown) dual channel, Aero turned off, CPU is about 2%, XFX Radeon 5850 (core clock pushed to 850 and memory clock dropped to 900MHz, but will probably drop more when I get time to play with it), a single 17" 4:3 LCD analog monitor hooked to DVI port with adapter plug.

Phoenix
WORKSTATION: -k poclbm VECTORS BFI_INT FASTLOOP WORKSIZE=128 AGGRESSION=9
~391MH/s

DEDICATED: -k poclbm VECTORS BFI_INT WORKSIZE=128 AGGRESSION=11
~318MH/s

poclbm
WORKSTATION: -v -w 128 -f 30
~393MH/s
DEDICATED: -v -w 128 -f 5
~319MH/s

With Phoenix, I have tried setting the aggression higher than this with FASTLOOP on and get slightly worse results or no change, but seemingly it runs slightly hotter.  If you remove FASTLOOP, you can push it to 11, but I have also found the desktop to noticeably lag, which is annoying and only gives me perhaps 3MH/s difference anyway [except it will drop with other graphical usage like moving around windows with Aero turned on].

I just started using poclbm (command line) today, so I may need to work on some tweaks to get more out of it.  For my workstation, decreasing to -f 10 added only about 1-2MH/s, but added just a bit more noticeable lag and simply isn't worth it. I am definitely seeing fewer stale shares with poclbm than I am with Phoenix.  That more than makes up for the slight decrease in performance on my workstation (6970).

So, I prefer Phoenix; it delivers a slightly nicer interface when running command line than poclbm.  However, Phoenix still has bugs in it and lately it has been hammered by long polling issues causing it to crash and still use a significant percentage of the GPU doing nothing (mine was sitting at 48% usage this morning, but had crashed both machines 4 hours earlier due to a long polling exception.  This is well documented in the forums.  Rather than lose time, I am using poclbm for now [and maybe forever].

BTW ... with the latest drivers and these settings for the 6970, it seems that if a video comes up on a web page that starts automatically [some news sites do this for instance], then I usually have time to close the tab in the browser before it locks up ... I haven't accidentally locked up the GPU in weeks.

EDIT:  I just looked over after typing all this and my 6970 is running 392-393MH/s on average, so I removed my comments about GUIMiner and updated the stats.

If you have found my post helpful, please donate what you feel it is worth: 18vaZ4K62WiL6W2Qoj9AE1cerfCHRaUW4x
IlbiStarz

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 02:53:13 AM

What miner are you using?  Phoenix, poclbm, etc?  What settings are you using? 

Are you monitoring the temperature of your cards?  Which card is the most open [on most motherboards when you have two cards in your machine, the one closest to your CPU has the least ventilation]?  Are you controlling the fan speeds of your cards to compensate for heat and how about your case fans?

The 6990 will obviously run a LOT hotter.  The 6990 is a dual GPU core version of the 6970 (I believe with slightly lower clock and/or voltage speeds).  My 6970, runs quite hot compared to other cards I have ever owned.  Here is what I run my 6970 at with it as the only card in my machine with fan control on the card and case fans on high to keep the temp at 75C (fan set to 68% fixed right now).  Since I use my computer for remote desktop via VPN a lot to work from home (8-10+ hours per day) and MANY other things running (widgets, services, iTunes and of course web browser), but I am careful not to start any videos (the drivers from AMD for the 69xx series are not yet stable enough to allow watching videos while mining, at least not with GPU use high like 98% plus, which is where mine sits). 

I run a dedicated mining machine with a 5850 in it.  My 5850 runs at 73C in the basement and I use a user defined variable fan speed profile since it rarely changes ... the graph is usually a straight line where my 6970 results in the fan speed fairly straight with little spikes every few minutes ... so I just set it fixed to 68% for now and it is working fine at a constant temp.

I run two machines now [will be three tomorrow or the next day, with the third being Linux].

• WORKSTATION: Windows 7 x64 Pro  i7 960 (4 core 3.2GHz with HT giving 8 logical cores) - CPU is 1-4% for most work while mining.  12GB DDR3 12800 tri-channel.  MSI Radeon 6970 (core clock pushed to 920MHz), two high resolutions monitors (both greater than 1920x1080 ... the stupid standard res they sell now days) 20" and 22" 16x10
  • DEDICATED MINING: Windows 7 x64 Home Premier: Some AMD Phenom II X4 830 (4 core 2.8GHz) with 6GB DDR3 (speed unknown) dual channel, Aero turned off, CPU is about 2%, XFX Radeon 5850 (core clock pushed to 850 and memory clock dropped to 900MHz, but will probably drop more when I get time to play with it), a single 17" 4:3 LCD analog monitor hooked to DVI port with adapter plug.

Phoenix
WORKSTATION: -k poclbm VECTORS BFI_INT FASTLOOP WORKSIZE=128 AGGRESSION=9
~391MH/s

DEDICATED: -k poclbm VECTORS BFI_INT WORKSIZE=128 AGGRESSION=11
~318MH/s

poclbm
WORKSTATION: -v -w 128 -f 30
~393MH/s
DEDICATED: -v -w 128 -f 5
~319MH/s

With Phoenix, I have tried setting the aggression higher than this with FASTLOOP on and get slightly worse results or no change, but seemingly it runs slightly hotter.  If you remove FASTLOOP, you can push it to 11, but I have also found the desktop to noticeably lag, which is annoying and only gives me perhaps 3MH/s difference anyway [except it will drop with other graphical usage like moving around windows with Aero turned on].

I just started using poclbm (command line) today, so I may need to work on some tweaks to get more out of it.  For my workstation, decreasing to -f 10 added only about 1-2MH/s, but added just a bit more noticeable lag and simply isn't worth it. I am definitely seeing fewer stale shares with poclbm than I am with Phoenix.  That more than makes up for the slight decrease in performance on my workstation (6970).

So, I prefer Phoenix; it delivers a slightly nicer interface when running command line than poclbm.  However, Phoenix still has bugs in it and lately it has been hammered by long polling issues causing it to crash and still use a significant percentage of the GPU doing nothing (mine was sitting at 48% usage this morning, but had crashed both machines 4 hours earlier due to a long polling exception.  This is well documented in the forums.  Rather than lose time, I am using poclbm for now [and maybe forever].

BTW ... with the latest drivers and these settings for the 6970, it seems that if a video comes up on a web page that starts automatically [some news sites do this for instance], then I usually have time to close the tab in the browser before it locks up ... I haven't accidentally locked up the GPU in weeks.

EDIT:  I just looked over after typing all this and my 6970 is running 392-393MH/s on average, so I removed my comments about GUIMiner and updated the stats.

Poclbm 6990 settings
-v -w 256
About 350mh/s each core.
Overclocked to 950/625. Fix core temp max is 80, second is 85. First average around 74, second 80. I doubt it's the temps...it would only be the temps if they were like 90C+ 24/7. 6990's are able to withstand this type of heat. It is the fastest card in the world anyways. I think it's something with the pool...this has never happened before, and I've been at these clocks benchmarking and gaming for a longggg time before I learned about mining.
Veldy

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 03:20:44 AM
Last edit: June 01, 2011, 03:30:51 AM by Veldy

Drop it back to 128.  I did a lot of testing between 128 and 256 and 128 was considerably better.  Also, don't install stream.  Just install the latest catalyst drivers.

The hotter the constant temps, the harder it is on your card and the shorter MTBF [although I doubt they have MTBF data available for anything but 70C and maybe lower ... MSI lists it on their boxes for two temps, my card claims 12 years at 100% GPU at 70C.  I don't think 80C is much to worry about, but that has always been my upper limit.  Lately, I cleaned up my office and it changed the air flow pattern enough that my temp dropped to 75C from 78C without any changes.

Also, maybe you are pushing your core clock a little too fast?  Have you tried lowering that to see if the problem still occurs?  I think they lowered the clock speeds on the core and/or memory on the 6990 for stability reasons [it is tough to cool a dual GPU core board] as opposed to two separate boards.

Oh ... BTW ... nothing the pool can do with crash your computer.   If it idles and then starts working again, you may cause some fatigue as components expand and contract with temperature changes, but that is about the extent of what a pool can do to your system.  Set the card to stock values and run recommended miner settings and see if you have the problem.  If you don't, then it is how you set it up.  If you do, it is either drivers or your card [or your power supply possibly].

If you have found my post helpful, please donate what you feel it is worth: 18vaZ4K62WiL6W2Qoj9AE1cerfCHRaUW4x
IlbiStarz

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 04:02:40 AM

Drop it back to 128.  I did a lot of testing between 128 and 256 and 128 was considerably better.  Also, don't install stream.  Just install the latest catalyst drivers.

The hotter the constant temps, the harder it is on your card and the shorter MTBF [although I doubt they have MTBF data available for anything but 70C and maybe lower ... MSI lists it on their boxes for two temps, my card claims 12 years at 100% GPU at 70C.  I don't think 80C is much to worry about, but that has always been my upper limit.  Lately, I cleaned up my office and it changed the air flow pattern enough that my temp dropped to 75C from 78C without any changes.

Also, maybe you are pushing your core clock a little too fast?  Have you tried lowering that to see if the problem still occurs?  I think they lowered the clock speeds on the core and/or memory on the 6990 for stability reasons [it is tough to cool a dual GPU core board] as opposed to two separate boards.

Oh ... BTW ... nothing the pool can do with crash your computer.   If it idles and then starts working again, you may cause some fatigue as components expand and contract with temperature changes, but that is about the extent of what a pool can do to your system.  Set the card to stock values and run recommended miner settings and see if you have the problem.  If you don't, then it is how you set it up.  If you do, it is either drivers or your card [or your power supply possibly].

Yeah I guess so...I'll throttle it back for a few days, see what happens.
A lot of my friends on computer forums who oc this baby can get 1000mhz core easily. Cheesy I'm waiting for my wc parts to arrive too Cheesy
Veldy

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 04:13:48 AM

Yeah, the clock is probably too fast.  But also, I mean, use work of 128, not 256. 

bongo

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 09:13:26 AM

Started using the pool as of today at 100%. Looks really neat and simple. I am a happy miner  Grin
Veldy

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 01:05:20 PM

Started using the pool as of today at 100%. Looks really neat and simple. I am a happy miner  Grin

I am down to 0.2% stale shares ... very happy indeed Smiley

jurian89

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 02:49:33 PM

When is the auto pay implemented.

I would like to get payment once every 24 hours.

Would pay the 1.5% to do so.

Greetz,
Jurian
eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 03:09:01 PM

Greetz,
Jurian
Auto payout will be implemented on Friday.  After that I will be making the "Last 24 hours" summary of BTC earned (available to all members).  Following that update, there will be a second perk added at the 2% level, which is an email that can be received daily or weekly, which provides you with an earnings summary report in your email.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
inh

Activity: 155

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 03:16:04 PM

Auto payout will be implemented on Friday.  After that I will be making the "Last 24 hours" summary of BTC earned (available to all members).  Following that update, there will be a second perk added at the 2% level, which is an email that can be received daily or weekly, which provides you with an earnings summary report in your email.

Will these reports be retroactive or only for newly earned coins?
eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 03:21:43 PM

Will these reports be retroactive or only for newly earned coins?

It will only be moving forward.  "Retroactive" reports would just be spitting out your current rewards summary.  The report will be roughly as follows:

=== BTC Balance Summary ===
BTC Earned in Last 24 hours:  0.93859010
Previous BTC Balance:  1.03910000
Sub-total:  1.97769010
Manual Payout (Timestamp):  (0.00948001)
Automatic Payout (Timestamp):  (1.03910390)
Balance Remaining:  0.92910619

=== Worker Summary ===
Worker #1:
  Shares submitted in previous 24 hours of blocks: 1,000,000 (103 invalid)
  Average Speed over 24 hours:  xxx.xx mHash/sec

Worker #2:
  <Repeat>

Total:
  <Summary>

Veldy

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 05:52:45 PM

Greetz,
Jurian

I second that option ... I love the fact that you will be the first pool [that I know of] to offer payouts by time Smiley

I see more responses since this post and I am sure it is answered below.  Great job on the pool!  I love it!  Only catch is that my stale share rate jumped from about 0.2% to 0.9% [still better than I have been seeing with any other pool lately ... I think it is related in part to the time of day to some degree.  You pool has grown very quickly and it has handled it like a champ .. great work! 

bitcoindaddy

Activity: 481
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 08:30:04 PM

How is the payout for each donating user for invalid blocks calculated?
Veldy

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 08:33:43 PM

I am going to guess, but it is the only thing that is logical to me.   Since solving a block ends a round, if that block is invalid, all shares would be worth nothing.  However, if you get paid for invalid shares, then you would be paid proportionately as normal based on the 50BTC payout [so if you contribute 0.5% of all shares for the round that resulted in finding an invalid block, you get 0.5% of the 50BTC minus your donation].  That is how it works on deepbit by my understanding and I don't see how it can be calculated in any other way.

eleuthria (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 09:19:30 PM

When a block is finished, it is not known that it is invalid yet.  So the block is calculated and all the users are rewarded proportionally as normal.  When the block becomes invalid, it nulls the rewards that we're allocated to anybody that did not donate 2.5%.  So the people that donated 2.5% receive the same reward they would have if that block was valid.

Veldy

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 10:09:48 PM

When a block is finished, it is not known that it is invalid yet.  So the block is calculated and all the users are rewarded proportionally as normal.  When the block becomes invalid, it nulls the rewards that we're allocated to anybody that did not donate 2.5%.  So the people that donated 2.5% receive the same reward they would have if that block was valid.

Yes, that is a much easier way to have said it.  I said the same thing, but your message is certainly more consumable Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... 159 »
  Print  

Jump to: