Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:10:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Just remove signatures already. As in delete, disable, gone.  (Read 44828 times)
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2015, 06:44:09 AM

I like my signature.

I'd pay Thermos to remove other users' ability to ignore me and/or disable my sig.

Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2015, 10:49:31 PM

It's not the signatures that irk him but the lower quality of content posts he believes a paid signature causes.

Yes, it is becoming very annoying. It is also pretty obvious.

Take https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=985198.20

20 out of the first 25 posts in this thread have an ad in their signature....

That specific topic has been beaten to death. A thousand times. But it's still making them money.

I was about to raise the "Disallow ads in signatures" thread, but honestly... Just make it disappear.

Hey, totally agree that there's crap posts out there motivated by sig campaign. The example you shared doesn't appear to be bad or spammy conversation. And we have to realize that as new people join the forum, learn about BTC, etc, they're going ot have the same questions that more senior folks like you and others have discussed before.

We should focus on post content improvement. Da Dice has a great approach by coming down hard on spam, not being afraid to deny payment.

ABitNut

Activity: 764
Merit: 500

I'm a cynic, I'm a quaint

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 01:26:13 AM

It's not the signatures that irk him but the lower quality of content posts he believes a paid signature causes.

Yes, it is becoming very annoying. It is also pretty obvious.

Take https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=985198.20

20 out of the first 25 posts in this thread have an ad in their signature....

That specific topic has been beaten to death. A thousand times. But it's still making them money.

I was about to raise the "Disallow ads in signatures" thread, but honestly... Just make it disappear.

Hey, totally agree that there's crap posts out there motivated by sig campaign. The example you shared doesn't appear to be bad or spammy conversation. And we have to realize that as new people join the forum, learn about BTC, etc, they're going ot have the same questions that more senior folks like you and others have discussed before.

We should focus on post content improvement. Da Dice has a great approach by coming down hard on spam, not being afraid to deny payment.

First of all, I take your opinion to be heavily biased based on the fact that you have an ad in your signature. The problem is exactly that even though the conversation I linked to is not obviously spam it has almost zero value and appears to be there only so people can make a few more posts and earn a few more cents.

I do realise new people join the forum. They will have low level accounts that are not practical for signature campaigns. I don't see those spamming nearly as much as Sr. Member accounts. And there is no defending  rehashing the same discussion each time someone asks a question that's been asked a 1000 times before. In such cases the proper answer is to link to an earlier discussion thread and possibly link to an site that explains how to use search on the internet.

Admit it, this forum is bloated with meaningless posts. And signature campaigns are most likely the cause.

Now, please don't take this personal, but looking at your post history:

You made this post at 09:05:45 PM
As the subject says it all for those who can understand, it poses me the question how not to join in? Other option is to play it J.G. in a cave somewhere...

What does "play it J.G." mean?

The more you understand how and where surveillance is done, the better you can protect yourself. Another option is to stay off the internet.

You made this post at 09:07:39 PM
Chef, this article should prove to you that just because Obama says it doesn't make it happen. No need to fear Obama's rhetoric!

That is just under 2 minutes. The second thread links to an article. So you read the OP, you read the article, you read the previous replies and you made your own reply in under 2 minutes. I'll leave it to each to judge the value of that reply.

Fact is that you're not even close to some of the worst abusers. Making a post every 2 minutes for, churning out 50+ posts per hour doesn't even seem to be an exception anymore. I call it bullshit.
sdp

Activity: 469
Merit: 281

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2015, 11:51:29 AM

Yes,

Paid per post signatures create an incentive to post more.  That is why I am posting here. Smiley
I could end my post right here and get the same.  Or I could go on and add some interesting ideas.  Bitcoin works as it does because of its incentives and lack of incentives and partly a kind of altruistic charity for our currency.  This forum is the way it is because of the same combination of these three elements.  They may be in a differing proportion though.

Okay, here it goes.  Because Darkcoin has an incentive for people to run full nodes, it has half the number of nodes as Bitcoin does and that is with its much smaller market cap and presumably a much smaller set of users.  There is no benefit for someone who isn't running a pool to run a fullnode in Bitcoin.  It is all about incentives.  By the way, this is a post about signatures.  The incentive to create quality posts, apart from the altruistic charity, stems from the unlikely event that someone might tip your post.  I had left my bitcoin address in my signature and I never got a Satoshi for my posts.  Now, I am putting the advert. signature and I get twenty cents for each of my two cents.

So, we need a voting system.  So, that users can vote how much quality an article has.  Then require those with advertising signatures campaigns to price according to the quality vote score. 

Other people, who follow their reward system better than I do, would have posted two lines without reading the thread probably repeating something already said.

That's my two cents.

sdp

Coinsbank: Left money in their costodial wallet for my signature.  Then they kept the money.
lobogil

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 12:34:09 PM

Yes,

Paid per post signatures create an incentive to post more.  That is why I am posting here. Smiley

And is also the reason I just neg-rep'd you & reported your post as spam..... Roll Eyes
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2015, 12:41:43 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2015, 12:52:03 PM by Blazedout419

Yes,

Paid per post signatures create an incentive to post more.  That is why I am posting here. Smiley

And is also the reason I just neg-rep'd you & reported your post as spam..... Roll Eyes

I think you read what he was trying to say wrong..the dude joined in 2012 and has 216 posts....obviously not a spammer. He is offering up an idea about posting quality.
cathoderay

Activity: 379

Welcome to dogietalk.bs

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 01:13:39 PM

Yes,

Paid per post signatures create an incentive to post more.  That is why I am posting here. Smiley

I think you read what he was trying to say wrong..the dude joined in 2012 and has 216 posts....obviously not a spammer. He is offering up an idea about posting quality.

Actually, I have to agree with lobogil, as member sdp just posted a meaningless post on my thread also:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg10849355#msg10849355

If he has been such a long term member - he should have learned how to post properly by now.

Have you been a victim of dogie insults, neg-rep'd for no reason or been falsely accused by him? If so, air your experiences here:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.0
Avoid manipulative Exchanges - Localbitcoins.com
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2015, 01:23:47 PM

Yes,

Actually, I have to agree with lobogil, as member sdp just posted a meaningless post on my thread also:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg10849355#msg10849355

If he has been such a long term member - he should have learned how to post properly by now.

I guess that is why posts are open to interpretation then. I read it in a different way, but did not read any of his other posts.
sdp

Activity: 469
Merit: 281

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2015, 01:43:13 PM

That was one post.  See, we need to create an incentive system to promote post quality.

I would like to see forums in general have digests of threads.  Maybe instead of reading many posts of which many have been repeats of previous posts and often previous threads.

sdp

Coinsbank: Left money in their costodial wallet for my signature.  Then they kept the money.
cathoderay

Welcome to dogietalk.bs

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 01:56:06 PM

That was one post.  See, we need to create an incentive system to promote post quality.

I would like to see forums in general have digests of threads.  Maybe instead of reading many posts of which many have been repeats of previous posts and often previous threads.

sdp

Maybe, but posting meaningless gibberish on any thread you choose is not the answer. Please stop doing it.

If you remove your post from my thread, I will remove the neg-rep. Thank you.

Have you been a victim of dogie insults, neg-rep'd for no reason or been falsely accused by him? If so, air your experiences here:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.0
mashcom

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 02:00:42 PM

I would like to see forums in general have digests of threads.  Maybe instead of reading many posts of which many have been repeats of previous posts and often previous threads.

sdp

Maybe, but posting meaningless gibberish on any thread you choose is not the answer. Please stop doing it.

A negative trust for write a persona opinion?
Are you serious? Signature ad doesn't mean "insubstantial post" we are here in a forum and everyone can post whatever he wants (on topic and constructive).
CrackedLogic
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 02:04:51 PM

sdp

Are you serious? Signature ad doesn't mean "insubstantial post" we are here in a forum and everyone can post whatever he wants (on topic and constructive).

When a user joins and wears a signature campaign short one liners are looked upon as spam since it requires no effort to do just write +1 or i agree in a post. It is possible for you to walk around this by removing your signature ad Cheesy

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
cathoderay

Welcome to dogietalk.bs

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 02:07:05 PM

I am referring to this post:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg10849355#msg10849355

Hardly a persona opinion.

Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2015, 03:05:24 PM

If signatures cause so many problems why not just ban paid signatures? That allows personal sigs to remain and eliminates all the spammers?
Grand_Voyageur

Activity: 322

https://dadice.com | Click my signature to join!

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2015, 03:17:53 PM

If signatures cause so many problems why not just ban paid signatures? That allows personal sigs to remain and eliminates all the spammers?

How can you say an user wasn't paid to wear a signature? I'm not sure your proposal can be enforced...really.

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█   ⚂⚄⚀⚃⚅⚁    ██  d a d i c e  ██    Next Generation Dice Game
• Low 1% house edge. • Provably Fair.  
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
CrackedLogic
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 03:29:37 PM

How can you say an user wasn't paid to wear a signature? I'm not sure your proposal can be enforced...really.

Signature campaigns shouldn't be allowed on the forum is what he's saying. So no public proposals for renting signatures should be allowed.
You should be able to tell if there is more than 5 users wearing the same signature.

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
Grand_Voyageur

Activity: 322

https://dadice.com | Click my signature to join!

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2015, 03:36:54 PM

Signature campaigns shouldn't be allowed on the forum is what he's saying. So no public proposals for renting signatures should be allowed.
You should be able to tell if there is more than 5 users wearing the same signature.

Huh

So IF some users are wearing the same signature of a e.g. dice site but with distinct referrals...would this considered paid or not?
I am just asking since in the past i did so outside of a sig ad campaign...and i don't like being forbidden to do so "outside" of sig ad campaign.
I don't see, however, how this could be separated from a normal sig-ad campaign...without to investigate BTC-addresses..
 Huh

█   ⚂⚄⚀⚃⚅⚁    ██  d a d i c e  ██    Next Generation Dice Game
• Low 1% house edge. • Provably Fair.  
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 03:37:56 PM

I am thinking the same, if the staff want to resolve the problem of the insubstantial posts, once and for all (? subjective) they should ban all the signature campaign, and the possibility for rent the signature space. If they want they can try to 'enforce' some rules to all the sig. campaigns.

Just my personal opinion as your and the others.
guitarplinker
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2015, 03:51:09 PM

I am thinking the same, if the staff want to resolve the problem of the insubstantial posts, once and for all (? subjective) they should ban all the signature campaign, and the possibility for rent the signature space. If they want they can try to 'enforce' some rules to all the sig. campaigns.

Just my personal opinion as your and the others.
One thing they could do instead of this would be to ban linking to websites other than Bitcointalk in your signature. That way, there would be no advertising of other websites. The worst that could happen would be advertising for a thread on the website. If they wanted to combat advertising threads on Bitcointalk, they could remove links from signatures completely.

Websites like overclock.net have rules like these - no images or links to other sites and their signatures aren't very intrusive at all. Nothing like some of the signature campaigns here, some of the signatures here really stick out like a sore thumb in a thread. If you guys want to see how overclock.net signatures differ from here, check out any thread there and you'll see that most of them just contain text with computer specs, links to other threads, opinions, etc. None of them contain any advertising, and to my memory I don't remember seeing an intrusive signature, and I've been on the site for a few years.
shogdite

Activity: 798

LIR Dev. www.letitride.io

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 04:02:01 PM

Now that spammers are being cracked down on, and sig campaign managers are taking more action against shit-posting, I'm hoping the situation will get better.

No doubt there is still a problem but disabling them all seems a bit extreme.

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRideINNOVATIVE ▬▬▬
DICE GAME
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
PROVABLY
F A I R
▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
BUY  BACK
PLANS
[BTC]
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  

Jump to: