Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:16:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Just remove signatures already. As in delete, disable, gone.  (Read 44828 times)
justspare

Activity: 1022
Merit: 538

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 05:15:04 AM

If you don't like signature campaigns there are ad blockers out there that allows you to block all the sig ads.

If sig ads were gone, then no one would post on the site and the forum will die out.
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2015, 06:15:37 AM

I don't see how signature campaigns are spreading bitcoin. Signature campaigns are on bitcointalk, a forum where everyone has already been told about bitcoin.

Let us count the reasons...

• Signature campaigns give people a way to acquire bitcoin who don't have the funds to buy some (believe or not a lot of ppl on this forum are from developing countries)
  • The ads spread awareness of several different bitcoin-based companies, which spread the economy of bitcoin
  • Some of the funds earned are used at the companies doing the advertising (usually the gambling sites)
  • Some amount of the new people that come to this forum learn about signature campaigns and the cycle begins again - kid wants to earn bitcoin, kid finds a wallet, kid does earn bitcoin, kid spends bitcoin, kid helps improve the bitcoin economy

I agree that bullshit posters should be controlled. I don't agree with the process by which one or many people decide what's bullshit and what's not. There's a lot of constructive posting getting hassled for absolutely no good reason...but, this isn't a democracy, it's someone's house and we're all just guests.
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 06:57:54 PM

If sig ads were gone, then no one would post on the site and the forum will die out.

As has just been said above by the last two posts, this is nonsense.  You don't say to yourself, I want to see some advertising, I'll go to a forum.  You say to yourself, I want to discuss some topic, I'll go to a forum.  People don't go to fora to view ads, advertizers place ads where people already are.  You've got it totally backwards.
tommorisonwebdesign

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 07:14:19 PM

I would like to interject with OP's and many others' complaints about forum signature spammers. If you look at me and my account, I myself have a signature campaign and as well a programmer. In other words, I make my money from this forum by posting and finding coding gigs. Not everyone with a sig campaign is a spammer and I think it is time more rules are implemented about sig campaigns. Some people I hear make 500 posts a month from multiple accounts. OP is right in that sig campaigning has gone way out of control

Signatures? How about learning a skill... I don't care either way. Everybody has to make a living somehow.
ezeminer
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1118

Lie down. Have a cookie

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 09:06:09 PM

Well I know I'll get flak for this because I have a signature on me but I want to point out some things with signatures.

Pros:
  • Helps all members earn a little on the side
  • Helps promote small projects like silver wallets and papernotes, as well as large ones
  • Gives a chance for people to get rakebacks from businesses
Cons:
  • Many people spam the forum with useless information (I admit to this sometimes)
  • Ads are annoying, but it is how almost every company gets their name out there nowadays.

cjmoles
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1016

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2015, 11:54:22 AM

As has just been said above by the last two posts, this is nonsense.  You don't say to yourself, I want to see some advertising, I'll go to a forum.  You say to yourself, I want to discuss some topic, I'll go to a forum.  People don't go to fora to view ads, advertizers place ads where people already are.  You've got it totally backwards.

I would agree with your logic here if we were not discussing Bitcoin.  One of the major problems I see being talked about in the popular media concerning Bitcoin is the lack of available markets to spend it.  What better place to visit to find markets to spend bitcoin but on a Bitcoin forum?  I think the real argument here is between those who speculate and hoard bitcoin and those who spend bitcoin readily.  This forum is the point "where the rubber hits the road."  Bitcoin's functionality, value, and future is dependent upon it being adopted and exchanged readily.  This forum is where that all happens!

Now, we can say, "Let's ban the signature campaigns because they attract too many new and uninformed users who ask stupid questions, clutter the importance of our discussions, and just want to earn some bitcoin to spend on stupid stuff like dice or altcoins."  

But, if all we are doing is arguing about block size, talking code, and watching our bitcoin hoards grow and not PROMOTING higher adoption rates by including lesser informed people who don't have a stash of coin already, then we might as well give up on the project. We can let JP Morgan come out with his own alternative version that WILL be inclusive.  And, we can let all the "trolls, spammers, and newbs" spend JP Morgans coin while all us exclusive members sit around and talk about our caches of ones and zeros.

Bitcoin is a platform that encourages digital currency to become a globally decentralized monetary system that is all inclusive and more fairly distributed than our current systems.  It will hardly work if we discourage promotion, adoption, or distribution.  The signature campaigns provide all three of those characteristics.  
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2015, 01:10:23 PM

Just lock this thread already...

Zaduca

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 10:44:24 AM

Well I know I'll get flak for this because I have a signature on me but I want to point out some things with signatures.

Pros:
  • Helps promote small projects like silver wallets and papernotes, as well as large ones
Cons:
  • Many people spam the forum with useless information (I admit to this sometimes)
  • Ads are annoying, but it is how almost every company gets their name out there nowadays.
Signature campaign can bring money and lives to the forum. Moderators can remove the useless posts. Is this their task?
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2015, 03:12:02 PM
Last edit: December 12, 2015, 05:44:58 PM by eternalgloom

I personally kind of like the fact that I can post on this forum about something I enjoy, Bitcoin, while getting some pocket change for it.
Yes, while some people abuse it and spam short one sentence replies, others just see it as a nice bonus and do put effort in their posts and bring value to the forum.

I'm personally also not against recreational gambling from time to time, so I don't mind seeing all the gambling adverts, though I can see how this can be annoying to some people.

To me, the amount of freedom we get on this forum is one of its greatest features, and I personally try to respect that.
And I know that the campaign manager of my signature campaign takes post quality very serious, since we're representing their brand.

ezeminer
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1118

Lie down. Have a cookie

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 05:11:13 PM

Pros:
Cons:
Signature campaign can bring money and lives to the forum. Moderators can remove the useless posts. Is this their task?
It is part of their tasks. People also spam links, virus embed links and other crap. Moderators are meant to keep people inline and the forum a little cleaner

pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 10:52:48 PM

Signature campaigns are an easy way of getting money to the "newbies" of the forum, who didn't buy bitcoin when they were -$20 a piece.

Signature campaigns are doing god's work in spreading Bitcoin to the average joe. If you remove them, you will remove a source of spreading this Bitcoin around. Also, I have noticed that a lot of people (me included) is a lot more prone to not simply hoard your Bitcoin indefinitely, but to use it as an actual currency and purchase goods and services with it, if you get paid directly on it. When you have to buy Bitcoin with your fiat, you don't feel like spending it. There's something psychological about it, it feels like buying Gold, then using this Gold to buy something mundane.. not worth the effort of converting your fiat for that when you can directly buy with your fiat. In fact it's pretty stupid.

OTOH, if you get paid on BTC directly, it's way more convenient to use it in a shop that's accepting BTC, and right now, sig campaigns are the most immediate way to get them. So you are also not only killing a way for common people to make some beerBTC on the side, but a big part of this BTC potentially going into merchant's hands.
I don't see how signature campaigns are spreading bitcoin. Signature campaigns are on bitcointalk, a forum where everyone has already been told about bitcoin.

That's a pretty narrow view of things. Sure if you are here it means you know about Bitcoins, someone told you, but so what? how does that negate the fact that it helps redistributing Bitcoin? Someone with 0 money to invest in Bitcoin, can get their first satoshis by being active on the forum, which means this person will have an incentive to keep growing their Bitcoin knowledge.
Spreading Bitcoins = ways to get Bitcoin that aren't strictly investing on it which is prohibitive for 99% of people out there.
tommorisonwebdesign

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 08:51:11 PM

I would also like to point out that signature campaigns stiill pay better than faucets and are a great way for newbies to earn extra change while being paid to post on this forum. Sig campaign managers need to do their jobs more and remove spam from this forum. I have seen spambots before spam a Make Money thread. Every from of earning a passive income is open for abuse, but it also has more to do with protecting these forums form spammers and malicious programmers. Perhaps introducing CAPTCHAs would slow down spamming?

Signatures? How about learning a skill... I don't care either way. Everybody has to make a living somehow.
TheGr33k

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 07:09:23 AM

They're never going to.
Rizky Aditya

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 09:43:18 AM

Signture campaigns are the main reasons people are on this forum. Also, some peoples should get rewarded for their good posts. If you remove them, it will ruin the forum for everyone.
Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 01:23:11 PM

I would say go for the content, if that is shit then please feel free to ignore users. Yes, a lot of sig ad paid people write only to round up their gains but this forum lives out of it. Mods are paid to keep the forum clean by those who are accused of having created the "plague".

Once more please go for the content in the post.

Let's not be so naive because we're simply denying that advertising is everywhere. But ad-block was created as well: I use it and I would suggest everyone to use it.

Regarding our forum:

Go to Profile--> Look and Layout Preferences--> Don't show users' signatures

Done! Then read what they post, if they post crap, simply ignore them!

Wink
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2015, 01:44:05 PM

I would say go for the content, if that is shit then please feel free to ignore users. Yes, a lot of sig ad paid people write only to round up their gains but this forum lives out of it. Mods are paid to keep the forum clean by those who are accused of having created the "plague".
-snip-
Technically moderation isn't a job, we get rewarded for our efforts. Not showing signatures does not help due to the fact that you still see their posts. Ignoring helps, but that would mean that I'd have to ignore almost all signature campaign participants. This is definitely not an efficient solution/workaround.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 01:54:58 PM

-snip-
Technically moderation isn't a job, we get rewarded for our efforts. Not showing signatures does not help due to the fact that you still see their posts. Ignoring helps, but that would mean that I'd have to ignore almost all signature campaign participants. This is definitely not an efficient solution/workaround.

No Lauda, I'm saying you disable the signature and you see what they write not that you ignore everyone!
I know for staff is different beacuse you have to read what people write, but I don't  Wink
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2015, 02:16:24 PM

I know for staff is different beacuse you have to read what people write, but I don't  Wink
Technically we don't either; we don't have to do almost anything. However, I think the best way to remove this problem is by tackling its root (they don't have to be necessarily removed, guidelines/restrictions could be made).

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
tommorisonwebdesign

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 12:39:46 AM

I know for staff is different beacuse you have to read what people write, but I don't  Wink
Technically we don't either; we don't have to do almost anything. However, I think the best way to remove this problem is by tackling its root (they don't have to be necessarily removed, guidelines/restrictions could be made).
I have just removed my signature campaign. All I have to say is that most people posting in signature campaigns are either people living in third-world countries or people who find way to abuse the signature campaign. Sig campaigns greatly reduce the quality of this forum with people who only post for the Bitcoins, even if it is not much. It leaves us skilled computer users dealing with a ton of spam. What I found is there is a lot of programming and many other gigs available on this forum and those living in third-world nations should get more skilled

Monnt
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 12:41:19 AM

Sig campaigns shouldn't be disabled. It generates a lot of traffic and comments to this site. If your only argument is post quality then please go and post on another bitcoin forum.

You are rich and there's people less fortunate than you. Please consider them as well.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 »
  Print  

Jump to: