Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 05:50:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 89 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitminter bitcoin mining pool - shutdown mining 2020-07-01 website 2021-06-01  (Read 324659 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Thracian

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 04, 2014, 09:59:07 PM

Profitability? Nah!

The weather is already much colder here and a kilowatt heater gives to all the house a very nice and warm feeling.
I'll shut it down in March or April, but till then I'll help the network and make a few satoshis.
I used electricity for heating anyway Smiley

Profitability does look scary right now, with bitcoin dropping like a rock and the only thing going "to the moon" being the difficulty.

It's not going to look so good until the wind turns.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HerbPean
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 05:50:52 PM

I don't know if you guys follow the general Macro metrics of Bitcoin but I like to see what's happening at a high level.  Here is a chart I've been watching closely.  The wat I see it, more transactions spread around the network means more adoption.  I feel as though this could be a good leading indicator of where the BTC market is heading. Obviously we all look at the current price but with that aside, do you guys have any charts that you watch?  

https://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions-excluding-popular

Heavy Hash rate folks, I'd be particularly interested to see what you're watching.

I follow quite a few, but as a small-time miner (~ 1 Tbps + or -), I am partial to:  https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty

This shows both Bitcoin and Litecoin difficulty metrics and predictions -- both of which I am mining (FYI: my one and only pool that I've mined BTC on for almost a year is BitMinter)

And it just so happens, that as I write this, it predicts the next difficulty at just+0.91% above current; however, that has been falling all week. Will we see a difficulty DROP this time?  It's still looking that way, but of course not guaranteed until it happens.

I also follow the same. The estimation follow a trend where is over-estimate the difficulty for the most part until like 2 days remains. Then, most of the time, the estimation is really really close to reality. There is another important trend to know too, it's that most of the time, at the end of a difficulty a bunch of Hashrate is added into the network. So for now, we are close to 1-2% but more hashrate could be added until the end of the difficulty. BTC is going down tho, might not happen.

EDIT: all indications for now tell us that we might see the first negative adjustment since a long time. (maybe forever ? can't tell)

Once again, big hashrate push at the end of difficulty cycle ... It will be an increase I guess !
Fahlcor

Activity: 139

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 06:44:37 PM

I don't know if you guys follow the general Macro metrics of Bitcoin but I like to see what's happening at a high level.  Here is a chart I've been watching closely.  The wat I see it, more transactions spread around the network means more adoption.  I feel as though this could be a good leading indicator of where the BTC market is heading. Obviously we all look at the current price but with that aside, do you guys have any charts that you watch?  

https://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions-excluding-popular

Heavy Hash rate folks, I'd be particularly interested to see what you're watching.

I follow quite a few, but as a small-time miner (~ 1 Tbps + or -), I am partial to:  https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/difficulty

This shows both Bitcoin and Litecoin difficulty metrics and predictions -- both of which I am mining (FYI: my one and only pool that I've mined BTC on for almost a year is BitMinter)

And it just so happens, that as I write this, it predicts the next difficulty at just+0.91% above current; however, that has been falling all week. Will we see a difficulty DROP this time?  It's still looking that way, but of course not guaranteed until it happens.

I also follow the same. The estimation follow a trend where is over-estimate the difficulty for the most part until like 2 days remains. Then, most of the time, the estimation is really really close to reality. There is another important trend to know too, it's that most of the time, at the end of a difficulty a bunch of Hashrate is added into the network. So for now, we are close to 1-2% but more hashrate could be added until the end of the difficulty. BTC is going down tho, might not happen.

EDIT: all indications for now tell us that we might see the first negative adjustment since a long time. (maybe forever ? can't tell)

Once again, big hashrate push at the end of difficulty cycle ... It will be an increase I guess !

When it was hovering near 1 I was getting excited for a drop maybe.

Oh well....
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 10:35:37 AM

l, but till then I'll help the network and make a few satoshis.

Yah, I would feel uncomfortable holding BTC and leaving the network all to the likes of ghash.io ... I'm hoping to pick up something faster and more efficient in this little shake out though, my kilowatt heater could be making triple.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
theweiss

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 07:24:22 PM

Doc,
I'd like to see how all of those measures if possible.  The one that I think I'll enjoy most is "Pay per billion proofs-of-work (shares) e.g.0.20561798 BTC".  Maybe you could set it up like the Live Stats.  Something lite and then another option that shows you everything. 

I also think it would be helpful if you could incorporate someone's exchange rate.  I'm particular the exchange rates that are based on a few different exchanges but anything would be useful.  It would knock off another bitcoin related item that I have to go elsewhere to see.
Fahlcor

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 03:20:11 AM

Lovin the good days.

I know Doc that I talked before about renting rigs so I thought I would try an experiment.  I rent 70thash with the new shorter shifts for 3 hours and put them towards bitminter.

It cost me ~.18btc for them but I easily earned over .3 btc. I did it again last night with .1 btc for 27thash and earned ~.28btc in the last 4 blocks.

Putting in another ~.1btc for 37thash to see what come out over the next shifts.  The last 27thash still is showing in my shifts also.

Loving the great blocks... ;-)

Fahlcor...
theweiss

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 02:06:06 PM

Doc, if you're looking for other improvements to make to the site it might be nice to have a date and time stamp on when blocks are found / solved.  There is a "Time" column in the latest blocks section of the full sized live stats but I can never figure out when (the date) blocks were mined.  I know there are other resources to keep track of this but that is one small and easy to fix area that could use a little tweak.
HerbPean
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2014, 02:56:22 PM

Doc, if you're looking for other improvements to make to the site it might be nice to have a date and time stamp on when blocks are found / solved.  There is a "Time" column in the latest blocks section of the full sized live stats but I can never figure out when (the date) blocks were mined.  I know there are other resources to keep track of this but that is one small and easy to fix area that could use a little tweak.

https://bitminter.com/blocks

You'll find the full date and time of each block found.
Fahlcor

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 11:59:20 AM

Wow Doc your new site mods and updates have really brought us some luck.

And I'm sure the shorter shift made a huge difference!!!

Great work!!!

Grin

Fahlcor
DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1034

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 03:13:14 PM

9 lucky blocks in a row. 2-3 of them very lucky. That's pretty good. Smiley

Doc,
I'd like to see how all of those measures if possible.  The one that I think I'll enjoy most is "Pay per billion proofs-of-work (shares) e.g.0.20561798 BTC".  Maybe you could set it up like the Live Stats.  Something lite and then another option that shows you everything. 

I also think it would be helpful if you could incorporate someone's exchange rate.  I'm particular the exchange rates that are based on a few different exchanges but anything would be useful.  It would knock off another bitcoin related item that I have to go elsewhere to see.

Hmm, maybe I should make it possible to switch the shift payout display so you can choose.

I'll look into adding some bitcoin price info.

▶▶▶ bitminter.com 2011-2020 ▶▶▶ pool.xbtodigital.io 2023-
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 04:07:45 PM

[...]

May I suggest bitcoinaverage.com  They integrate openexchangerates.org which means local currencies are automatically calculated. For our Icelandic miner friends for example Smiley
https://bitcoinaverage.com/api

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
Fahlcor

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 04:20:45 PM

9 lucky blocks in a row. 2-3 of them very lucky. That's pretty good. Smiley

Doc,

Hmm, maybe I should make it possible to switch the shift payout display so you can choose.

Refresh my memory of the colors.  Green is ?  Grey is Coin flip luck? Red is bad meaning it is taking longer than expected?  Like at what percentage would we have searched an entire block worth?  Does it go above 100?

or just link me if this is already somewhere.

Thanks
DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2014, 04:51:48 PM

Refresh my memory of the colors.  Green is ?  Grey is Coin flip luck? Red is bad meaning it is taking longer than expected?  Like at what percentage would we have searched an entire block worth?  Does it go above 100?

Green is CDF from just above 0% to 33%. Black is from 33% to 66%. And red is CDF from 66% to just below 100%.

CDF at X% means that in X% of cases we would have found 1 or more blocks with this amount of work at this difficulty.

CDF never reaches 100%. As time approaches infinity, CDF approaches 100%. CDF can also never be 0%. That would mean we found a block with an amount of work that can never find a block.

You are never certain to find a block. Ever. Just like you are never guaranteed to win the lottery, no matter how many times you play.

It could happen that bitcoin just stops right now and noone at any pool ever finds another block. It just isn't very likely. The chance that all the hashpower in the world finds one or more blocks in a week's time is something like 99.999999999999999%. Exercise for the reader: find the actual chance, instead of just putting in lots of nines like I did.

But it's never 100% certain. Not even with a hashpower of 100 yottahashes per second mining for 100 years.

Fahlcor

View Profile
October 08, 2014, 06:20:29 PM

Green is CDF from just above 0% to 33%. Black is from 33% to 66%. And red is CDF from 66% to just below 100%.

CDF at X% means that in X% of cases we would have found 1 or more blocks with this amount of work at this difficulty.

CDF never reaches 100%. As time approaches infinity, CDF approaches 100%. CDF can also never be 0%. That would mean we found a block with an amount of work that can never find a block.

You are never certain to find a block. Ever. Just like you are never guaranteed to win the lottery, no matter how many times you play.

It could happen that bitcoin just stops right now and noone at any pool ever finds another block. It just isn't very likely. The chance that all the hashpower in the world finds one or more blocks in a week's time is something like 99.999999999999999%. Exercise for the reader: find the actual chance, instead of just putting in lots of nines like I did.

But it's never 100% certain. Not even with a hashpower of 100 yottahashes per second mining for 100 years.

Yep clear as mud.

I know on coinwarz it shows how long it would take to solve a block  at a set hashrate if you were to hash the entire thing.  Would this not make more sense as a % if anything to show based on the sites current hashrate.  This would show that on a difficult block that we had done the effort of say 200% to solve that one block.

Thanks

theweiss

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 01:11:37 PM

Fahlcor, Thanks I totally forgot this this was on the site.
HerbPean
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2014, 05:01:10 PM

Fahlcor, Thanks I totally forgot this this was on the site.

You're welcome Tongue
Gator-hex

Activity: 490

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 08:35:02 PM

Anyone having problems with Bitminter?
Website is fine and I can ping mint.bitminter.com but my miners are not getting any work.  Huh

DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2014, 08:42:35 PM

Website is fine and I can ping mint.bitminter.com but my miners are not getting any work.  Huh

Everything looks fine on this end. Are you unable to connect to stratum on port 3333?

Gator-hex

Activity: 490

View Profile
October 10, 2014, 08:45:39 PM

Website is fine and I can ping mint.bitminter.com but my miners are not getting any work.  Huh

Everything looks fine on this end. Are you unable to connect to stratum on port 3333?

Has been working fine for nearly a year then just died.
I just checked my CGMiner logs and got this

"[Firmware Version] => 20140729
cgminer: 4_3_4_07c5700
Socket connect failed: Connection refused"

I guess something happened my end then. Maybe my Internet router playing up or the network cable fell out. I'll have to investigate more.  Roll Eyes

DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2014, 08:51:08 PM

Socket connect failed: Connection refused"

I guess something happened my end then. Maybe my Internet router playing up or the network cable fell out. I'll have to investigate more.  Roll Eyes

Did you make any firewall changes?

The connection refused is not coming from the Bitminter server.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 89 »
  Print  

Jump to: