Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:36:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 ... 139 »
  Print  
Author Topic: delete  (Read 165490 times)
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 09:39:54 AM

math

Hopefully you're feeling better if you're back on here. Smiley

Any thoughts on BCX's claim that an attack is in progress and might take up to 22 days to materialize?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TheFascistMind

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 09:50:24 AM

math

Any thoughts on BCX's claim that an attack is in progress and might take up to 22 days to materialize?

The math shows no such evidence has been presented thus far in this thread. That doesn't mean something isn't occurring though.

I don't know about my health because haven't done the blood tests, xrays, and head scan yet. Maybe next week. All I can say for now is that with my current condition, I can't work a lot on the computer as it makes me very ill. Getting off the computer and out in the sunshine for days reduces the ill feelings. And concur upthread on the suggestions about natural diet.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2014, 10:23:49 AM

math

So far, I have not seen, nor am I aware that anyone else has seen, any evidence of an attack in progress, and also no specific unaddressed vulnerability to an attack beyond DDoS (which as we all know is mitigated through decentralization).

The image a couple posts above has been analyzed for probabilistic distribution of timestamps... but remember, the in-chain timestamps of that nature wouldn't offer a definitive display of attack capability in this form anyway.  These times are set by the miner that mines the block, and may not be accurate.  They are not required by the protocol to be accurate for good reasons.  

It is even normal to have blocks times stamped out of order in which they are hashed or received (as is the case in the snapshot sample shown where 235645 is stamped a second after 235656).1  This can happen for many reasons.  NTP failures are common.  It can also be intentionally set incorrectly, but there is no ill effect from this other than that it can confuse some people.  Those times are indicative only.

It would be a different matter entirely if a great number of freshly hashed blocks in a chain were received in rapid succession.  This is no where evidenced in the XMR block chain to date, and nothing else has been offered by way of evidence of a credible threat.

1 This may be what BCX was pointing to with the sentence: "Check the blocks just prior to the circle."  Do not be confused into fear, by lack of knowledge.  There is no evidence of wrongdoing in this chain sample.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 12:20:15 PM

i don't care so much who posts what here as WHAT itself is posted.

This may be an imperfect strategy.  
In communications, considering also the source and context may provide information beyond just the text posted.

rpietila has admitted to being and altcoin noob, (even though you don't believe that) so we might expect that he is likely not accustomed to the Alt section of the forum, in the same way that you are.
So it is understandable for me, your reaction to his posts.  Also understandable to me, is his perspective.
Text, and also the source and context may matter.

In every disagreement there is an opportunity to learn, both about the world, and about ourselves.
This is what makes the fight worth the bruises.

The fact he has a "HERO" account status speaks volumes now don't it LOL
He had that BEFORE he started spamming about Monero too by the way..
And if you dig deeper you will see he talks like other Shill accounts here using terms like "Signal to Noise Ratio" to enforce censorship and CONTROL of his victims he is grooming.
Which obviously tie him to other accounts here that say the same weird thing word for word hahah

It takes a while to get a Hero account.. i don't have one but he does LOL
He just woke up one day and decided it's time to buy into Monero then run around being an evangelist ?
I think he's a fucking liar and he has spent all his time trying to manipulate and control people around here.

FUD first & ask questions later™
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 12:23:37 PM

What attack day # are we on now? Like 8? 9? 10?

Cheesy

Almost 10 days, XMR is down 14% since then, so, I would say the attack was only minimally successful. I think BCX has the ability to disrupt the blockchain but only for minutes at a time.

Speaking of that, there hasn't been a new Monero block in 20 minutes..  

True. But an attack on price was not what BCX said he was going to accomplish. It was in reference to the XMR protocol and its network security.

Thus far it appears the attack is only talk.

I'd like to be proven wrong or right...whichever but nevertheless end this pointless charade of ego inflating.  Grin Grin Grin

tough call man.. i believe when BCX said that but hey.. it's all business right ?
ya never know though there still may be a remote possibility he was trying to "sway" the market price.. what do i know ? hahah
don't matter to me either way.. i don't care about XMR's price LOL

You don't care yet you sure have a lot to say.

sure.. somebody around here should care about the people being scammed out of their Bitcoin..
i gave up hoping places like Cryptsy would give a fuck LOL

FUD first & ask questions later™
Coinshot

Activity: 521
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 12:57:50 PM

Did not follow it closely, did the attack happen or not?

XMR price is above 0.003 so I am guessing no attack.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 02:37:50 PM

math

So far, I have not seen, nor am I aware that anyone else has seen, any evidence of an attack in progress, and also no specific unaddressed vulnerability to an attack beyond DDoS (which as we all know is mitigated through decentralization).

The image a couple posts above has been analyzed for probabilistic distribution of timestamps... but remember, the in-chain timestamps of that nature wouldn't offer a definitive display of attack capability in this form anyway.  These times are set by the miner that mines the block, and may not be accurate.  They are not required by the protocol to be accurate for good reasons. 

It is even normal to have blocks times stamped out of order in which they are hashed or received (as is the case in the snapshot sample shown where 235645 is stamped a second after 235656).1  This can happen for many reasons.  NTP failures are common.  It can also be intentionally set incorrectly, but there is no ill effect from this other than that it can confuse some people.  Those times are indicative only.

It would be a different matter entirely if a great number of freshly hashed blocks in a chain were received in rapid succession.  This is no where evidenced in the XMR block chain to date, and nothing else has been offered by way of evidence of a credible threat.

1 This may be what BCX was pointing to with the sentence: "Check the blocks just prior to the circle."  Do not be confused into fear, by lack of knowledge.  There is no evidence of wrongdoing in this chain sample.

Do you think it's safe to say that by now we would be seeing a lot more odd blocks if an actual attack was underway?
OrientA

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 04:14:31 PM

There is still uncertainty about the attack.
rangedriver

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 05:41:19 PM

There is still uncertainty about the attack.

Well not really. The CryptoNote team pretty much put the issue to bed declaring that such an attack would be impossible.

Retrospectively it was just a pile of steaming FUD.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 06:21:58 PM

Going on 10 and 11 days and still nothing from BCX of actual substance concerning the supposed "exploit" and "attack"?

Gee what a surprise...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

OrientA

Activity: 462

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 06:31:11 PM

Going on 10 and 11 days and still nothing from BCX of actual substance concerning the supposed "exploit" and "attack"?

The XMR price is so low, the hash rate is so high. Does it indicate something like active attack is going on?
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 06:31:42 PM

i don't care so much who posts what here as WHAT itself is posted.

This may be an imperfect strategy.  
In communications, considering also the source and context may provide information beyond just the text posted.

rpietila has admitted to being and altcoin noob, (even though you don't believe that) so we might expect that he is likely not accustomed to the Alt section of the forum, in the same way that you are.
So it is understandable for me, your reaction to his posts.  Also understandable to me, is his perspective.
Text, and also the source and context may matter.

In every disagreement there is an opportunity to learn, both about the world, and about ourselves.
This is what makes the fight worth the bruises.

The fact he has a "HERO" account status speaks volumes now don't it LOL
He had that BEFORE he started spamming about Monero too by the way..
And if you dig deeper you will see he talks like other Shill accounts here using terms like "Signal to Noise Ratio" to enforce censorship and CONTROL of his victims he is grooming.
Which obviously tie him to other accounts here that say the same weird thing word for word hahah

It takes a while to get a Hero account.. i don't have one but he does LOL
He just woke up one day and decided it's time to buy into Monero then run around being an evangelist ?
I think he's a fucking liar and he has spent all his time trying to manipulate and control people around here.

You really are butthurt aren't you? lol

"HERO" account means nothing on this forum in terms of status or merit etc.

Are you in your mum's basement now?  Grin

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 06:32:45 PM

The XMR price is so low, the hash rate is so high. Does it indicate something like active attack is going on?

I don't think so.

I called it as I saw it that BCX was just hott air when it came to an actual legitimate exploit to the XMR protocol. Look at his history of "attacking" Litecoin in 2012. Not much different outcome.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 06:40:56 PM

So whats the deal with BCX? What has he said recently after nothing happened?  Roll Eyes
robinwilliams

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 06:43:26 PM

So whats the deal with BCX? What has he said recently after nothing happened?  Roll Eyes

whati  don't get is why risto didn't take the 500btc bet
rangedriver

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 06:51:46 PM

Looks like he's turning his attention to attacking DigitalCoin (DGC) now.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 06:52:13 PM

The ratio of hash rate to price is within the normal range since July or so.

vuduchyld

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 07:45:35 PM

whati  don't get is why risto didn't take the 500btc bet

I can think of 2 reasons:

1) information asymmetry.  Risto couldn't possibly know what BCX knows and doesn't know. 

2) Risto could have wisely realized that his 500BTC might have financed the attack.  No bet maybe equals no attack.
tattooist

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 08:20:50 PM

So whats the deal with BCX? What has he said recently after nothing happened?  Roll Eyes

whati  don't get is why risto didn't take the 500btc bet

1) information asymmetry.  Risto couldn't possibly know what BCX knows and doesn't know.  

2) Risto could have wisely realized that his 500BTC might have financed the attack.  No bet maybe equals no attack.

how would that 500BTC finance the attack? it would be put in escrow ofcourse just as BCX his 500BTC
meaning that BCX could use 500BTC less for his atack wich might make him actually weaker.. depending on how deep his pockets are..
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 09:03:13 PM

So whats the deal with BCX? What has he said recently after nothing happened?  Roll Eyes

whati  don't get is why risto didn't take the 500btc bet

1) information asymmetry.  Risto couldn't possibly know what BCX knows and doesn't know.  

2) Risto could have wisely realized that his 500BTC might have financed the attack.  No bet maybe equals no attack.

how would that 500BTC finance the attack? it would be put in escrow ofcourse just as BCX his 500BTC
meaning that BCX could use 500BTC less for his atack wich might make him actually weaker.. depending on how deep his pockets are..

He meant that BCX would probably use his other BTC to fund the attack in order to win the 500 BTC bet

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Pages: « 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 ... 139 »
  Print  

Jump to: