Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 11:27:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 112 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Is bitcoin dead?  (Read 110806 times)
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 12:54:02 AM

there is an awful lot of FUD out there. Bitcoin will not go to die until a better technology comes out or a fatal vulnerability is discovered.

There is already a better technology out, yet it still hasnt died. It has a charm by being the first crypto. People wont abandon it so easily, it's like your firstborn child. Would you abandon it for another child?

what is this better technology? don't tell me ethereum or maidsafe, they are akin to a rehash of an old attempt to a decentralized internet, called freenet

I dont think those coins are really promising.

Monero has a great innovation in terms of anonymity.

Bytecoin has better security and faster and more efficient network than bitcoin in all terms.

NXT, BURST, NEM, HZ, COUNTERPARTY has a whole economy,stock market,marketplace & more integrated in a decentralized fashion.

all altcoin, monero also, only include a small feature that differentiate them from bitcoin, they are still clone and nothing more

every features they have can be integrated easily in bitcoin, i don't see innovation as it was with bitcoin

LOL wow really?

You do realize that the Monero code base is completely different than that of Bitcoin? Using ring signatures, stealth addresses producing untraceability and unlinkability.

Can't do that with Bitcoin as far as I am aware. Bitcoin has a public blockchain as well that you can trace.

And NO...those features can't be integrated EASILY into bitcoin.

The Bitcoin core developers can't even agree on a SINGLE line of code to change (i.e. the block size) and you think they can add cryptonote into the bitcoin source that would allow it to operate like Monero?

Wow seriously appears you a delusional. No offense.

Absolutely, while I love bitcoin, there is something that monero provides that bitcoin can't... and that is the view key and private key features.  This is going to be more appreciated as time goes on, but as for now people who are heavily into bitcoin are going to be very stubborn about another coin offering a new and better technology.  That isn't to say that both of those coins can't co-exist.  I believe that WAY down the road bitcoin will become like another fiat in a sense because of the centralization of it and the possibility for block size changes and inflation of bitcoins by allowing more out in circulation... Monero solves all the problems (I believe) that bitcoin has right now, and I believe another coin down the road will solve the potential problems that monero will have...

But only time will tell, it will be interesting to see how all of this plays out.

MinerHQ
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1023

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 01:32:44 AM

Bitcoin will never die. I believe in the future bitcoin and cryptocurrencies will still have a great prominence into the economy.

It may not die but also will not grow in very big range also. It will be mostly used as a alternative currency to buy online items always.
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 01:39:00 AM

Bitcoin will never die. I believe in the future bitcoin and cryptocurrencies will still have a great prominence into the economy.

It may not die but also will not grow in very big range also. It will be mostly used as a alternative currency to buy online items always.

I don't know... fiat can't last forever because of the fact that printing money out of thin air isn't feasible.  I know we've been doing this for years in every country, but more and more people are waking up to this grim fact.  Bitcoin more than likely will have a head to head match with gold when people will realize we need to get back onto the gold standard... this realization might not be adopted by the masses for years and years, but it will certainly happen within 20 years or so.

It's going to be between physical minerals and crypto "minerals" in the long run I beleive...

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 07:24:56 AM
Last edit: September 20, 2015, 11:38:27 AM by Amph

there is an awful lot of FUD out there. Bitcoin will not go to die until a better technology comes out or a fatal vulnerability is discovered.

There is already a better technology out, yet it still hasnt died. It has a charm by being the first crypto. People wont abandon it so easily, it's like your firstborn child. Would you abandon it for another child?

what is this better technology? don't tell me ethereum or maidsafe, they are akin to a rehash of an old attempt to a decentralized internet, called freenet

Bytecoin has better security and faster and more efficient network than bitcoin in all terms.

NXT, BURST, NEM, HZ, COUNTERPARTY has a whole economy,stock market,marketplace & more integrated in a decentralized fashion.

all altcoin, monero also, only include a small feature that differentiate them from bitcoin, they are still clone and nothing more

every features they have can be integrated easily in bitcoin, i don't see innovation as it was with bitcoin

LOL wow really?

You do realize that the Monero code base is completely different than that of Bitcoin? Using ring signatures, stealth addresses producing untraceability and unlinkability.

Can't do that with Bitcoin as far as I am aware. Bitcoin has a public blockchain as well that you can trace.

The Bitcoin core developers can't even agree on a SINGLE line of code to change (i.e. the block size) and you think they can add cryptonote into the bitcoin source that would allow it to operate like Monero?

wut you know about sidechain right? every features out there including cryptonight algo can be included easily if sidechain will see the light at the end of the day

also zerocoin is implementing a zero knowledge proof, which is the same as monero in terms of anonimity

all the altcoin work the same as bitcoin, the fact that monero is more anon than bitcoin does not make it 100% new, it's still a clone, based on the same fundamental, nothing revolutionary really...
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 08:05:22 AM

LOL wow really?

wut you know about sidechain right? every features out there including cryptonight algo can be included easily if sidechain will see the light at the end of the day

also zerocoin is impelmenting a zero knowledge proof, which is the same as monero in terms of anonimity

all the altcoin work the same as bitcoin, the fact that monero is more anon than bitcoin does not make it 100% new, it's still a clone, based on the same fundamental, nothing revolutionary really...

We are mentioning quite a lot all of these technologies like Sidechains, lightning, etc.. and we don't even know can this thing really work or not. I mean, ideas are here and they can get even developed, but when it comes the time to incorporate that into existing Bitcoin code or to place it on the top of the Bitcoin blockchain, we will see what will be decided.

Security of the network is the most important, and I don't really know what to think about anymore after all of the block size debate. In all cases, I think that is good that we have all these other altcoins developing. Competition is good for everybody. What will happen in the end, we will see as time passes.
klf
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 03:27:46 AM

Bitcoin can still be killed if the right events took place, even if that seems unlikely. It is still possible.
Miss Fortune

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 04:37:50 AM

I think it is.

Bitcoin use adoption has stalled. Media interest has dissipated. Prices have only slowly continued to decline for a long time now. Bitcoin securities have always been and still are a complete mess, with a near 100% failure (scam/fraud/incompetence/etc) rate. Mining has been concentrated in the hands of a few giant players, eliminating much of the advantage/security/democracy of thousands of individuals being the money processors. Alternative forms of online payment with US dollars (and other fiat currencies) are now cheaper, faster, and more secure than bitcoin (and of course far more usable to buy/sell real goods/services), eliminating any of its advantages as a payment system. Continued decline of bitcoin and strength in fiat currencies has put the lie to the idea of bitcoin as a store of value; there are far better more reliable hedges against inflation. Meanwhile the real economy is firing on all cylinders, stock markets are at all time highs, corporate earnings are higher than ever, unemployment is low, etc. Even amid the boom, no one cares about bitcoin any more. Bitcoin was a fad that lasted a few years, and is now on its way to being forgotten.

Thoughts? Anyone seriously disagree with this conclusion?

Cant say its dead, because I still hear good things about it and the people keep on hoping for it I believe one day it will be widely used in all over the world.
MasterYii

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 05:57:13 AM

I think it is.

Bitcoin use adoption has stalled. Media interest has dissipated. Prices have only slowly continued to decline for a long time now. Bitcoin securities have always been and still are a complete mess, with a near 100% failure (scam/fraud/incompetence/etc) rate. Mining has been concentrated in the hands of a few giant players, eliminating much of the advantage/security/democracy of thousands of individuals being the money processors. Alternative forms of online payment with US dollars (and other fiat currencies) are now cheaper, faster, and more secure than bitcoin (and of course far more usable to buy/sell real goods/services), eliminating any of its advantages as a payment system. Continued decline of bitcoin and strength in fiat currencies has put the lie to the idea of bitcoin as a store of value; there are far better more reliable hedges against inflation. Meanwhile the real economy is firing on all cylinders, stock markets are at all time highs, corporate earnings are higher than ever, unemployment is low, etc. Even amid the boom, no one cares about bitcoin any more. Bitcoin was a fad that lasted a few years, and is now on its way to being forgotten.

Like where did this coming from? There are a lot of people who still cares about biticoins actually is multiplying as time goes by so better think positively and stop this negative vibes.
forzendiablo
Legendary

Activity: 1526

the grandpa of cryptos

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 08:26:44 PM

bitcoin will not die - ever.

on the other hand - its price may tank at some point

yolo
arloseb

Activity: 868

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 08:28:49 PM

Hodllll! Till death!
fedoralite

Activity: 548
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 08:30:41 PM

I'm pretty sure bitcoin is still alive, well the speculation chaos is you know a little too overwhelming but if you live in this ecosystem things are very cool =3
silverleafy

Activity: 538
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 04:10:50 AM

I just bought a replacement part for my 3DS with bitcoin. It is very much alive.
Cryptocurrencies will begin having a larger use around the world, be it for good or bad things. Right now, most alts are riding the coattails of bitcoin. Bitcoin is what is gave the altcoin market life. The virtually untraceable nature of them is comforting and disturbing at the same time, to be honest. Time will tell whether we let some other coin become the leader of this innovative movement, or we scale up. But I digress.

n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 06:30:26 AM

Bitcoin can still be killed if the right events took place, even if that seems unlikely. It is still possible.

It is totally impossible. Only if it will be an extinction of the human kind. Or a world war that will evaporate all the technology and everything will begin from the beginning. Bitcoin is the first product or application of one technology which promise to disrupt must of the actual technologies. This technology is real and not a wonder. There are already various its applications which are propagated every day more. This technology will protect like the first child its first product: bitcoin. So no dead for bitcoin. Never.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2015, 06:58:35 AM

It is totally impossible. Only if it will be an extinction of the human kind. Or a world war that will evaporate all the technology and everything will begin from the beginning. Bitcoin is the first product or application of one technology which promise to disrupt must of the actual technologies. This technology is real and not a wonder. There are already various its applications which are propagated every day more. This technology will protect like the first child its first product: bitcoin. So no dead for bitcoin. Never.

I also don't think that Bitcoin can be killed. In fact, whoever tries to kill it may actually be contributing to its strength and robustness. But this doesn't in the least mean that it can't peacefully (or agonizingly) die on its own due to its inherent problems and inefficiencies...

RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 06:10:46 PM

I also don't think that Bitcoin can be killed. In fact, whoever tries to kill it may actually be contributing to its strength and robustness. But this doesn't in the least mean that it can't peacefully (or agonizingly) die on its own due to its inherent problems and inefficiencies...

What do you think about this news deisik? Will it kill bitcoin or will it boost bitcoin adoption globally?

http://www.coindesk.com/russian-ministry-correctional-labor-penalty-bitcoin-crimes/

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2015, 07:22:12 PM

What do you think about this news deisik? Will it kill bitcoin or will it boost bitcoin adoption globally?

http://www.coindesk.com/russian-ministry-correctional-labor-penalty-bitcoin-crimes/

The Russian legal system is notorious for the severity of its laws and the optionality of their implementation, enforcement, and compliance...

So this "initiative" is mostly irrelevant (whether enacted or not)

RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
September 26, 2015, 07:39:46 PM

The Russian legal system is notorious for the severity of its laws and the optionality of their implementation, enforcement, and compliance...

I hope you are right. At least Putin is pro-cryptocurrency, and russian bankers also hoard bitcoin.

There might be a few bureocrats there that dont like bitcoin, but it looks like the big powers there like it.

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2015, 07:47:19 PM

I hope you are right. At least Putin is pro-cryptocurrency, and russian bankers also hoard bitcoin.

There might be a few bureocrats there that dont like bitcoin, but it looks like the big powers there like it.

I don't know if this draft will be accepted, but I can assure you that no one engaged in Bitcoin business of any sorts in Russia will do anything just because of this law, even if it is enacted

operrajunk74

Activity: 344
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 07:21:57 PM

I don't think that the bitcoins are dead, we had alternative currencies before also. It is too early to assume the failure or success of BitCoin. The appeal of Bitcoin is finding a workaround global currency, not because Bitcoin was a better medium of exchange. We have to wait and watch for sometime, there is a bright future for bitcoins and I hope Bitcoin will never ever dead.
Nidaleee

Activity: 167

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 01:28:14 AM

I think it is.

It cant be totally gone because it is much needed today I guess in the future this is what people will be using it is convenient to use.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 ... 112 »
  Print  

Jump to: