Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:52:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 [192] 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916341 times)
furuknap

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

http://coin.furuknap.net/

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 08:08:05 PM

The last auction is very successful, but I think starting a 48 hour auction on Sunday is a bit better.  I speculate that business is a bit slow on a weekend.

It can cut both ways. Keep in mind a lot of people are amateur miners and may have daytime jobs that prevent them from being online during the critical closing hours if it were on a weekday.

Also, it's already Sunday morning in China :-)

.b

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
furuknap

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 08:21:03 PM

Some propose splitting the shares (or the passthrough splitting the share) - in theory, it helps the liquidity; in practice, I've reservations.  Just look at the bid-ask spread of Satoshi Dice, even though the stock price is "low" in absolute terms and there are gazillion shares out there.  As a percent of the stock price, it's usually pretty bad even though the share price is a lot lower.

I agree with this in terms of S-DICE, but I'm not sure that S-DICE has the same attention and attractiveness as AM, especially with the recent turbulence around its operations and the absence of feedback from evoorhees (both now resolved).

I believe AM is a 'better' entry point into BTC investments and that most people considering investing will realize this. A low absolute price is not a selling point alone, but a high one may prevent people from getting in. Some smaller investors may look at putting 2-3 BTC into a stock (we're still talking $300-500 which to many non-Westerners may be a lot of capital), and with the current AM prices, they will get 1-2 shares with a 'lot' of left-over investment potential. Scale that to a few thousand users and the shares miss out on a fair amount of revenue.

.b

JimiQ84

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:25:01 PM

Let's divide AM shares up to 8 decimal points and the lowest will be called "friedcat" Cheesy
VJain

Activity: 305

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 08:38:13 PM

Let's divide AM shares up to 8 decimal points and the lowest will be called "friedcat" Cheesy

I own 1.3 trillion friedcats! woohoo!

Making Apps and Websites for people. I charge reasonable rates ($30-40/hour in BTC).
velacreations

Activity: 476

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:46:05 PM

I own 1.3 trillion friedcats! woohoo!

back in the old days, a friedcat couldn't even buy a soda... 

Now, I can buy a whole country with one!

thatbluedude

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 09:42:20 PM

I would actually support something like this. I would love to set my shares to say 25% divident reinvest, but 1btc/share doesn't make this very workable for smalltime investors.
furuknap

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 09:44:29 PM

I would actually support something like this. I would love to set my shares to say 25% divident reinvest, but 1btc/share doesn't make this very workable for smalltime investors.

This is another good point; DRIP now is virtually impossible for smaller investors. With a 1/100 PT, it would make it more feasible.

.b

aahzmundus

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 10:38:32 PM

On the topic of split shares... such a thing should be done with a PT, in fact... I see no reason Burnside could not just make shares dividable to x decimal places.  Instead of indicating a number of shares to buy... you indicate a price and how much you can spend, and done.  No need to actually split the shares, just sell fractions of a share.

As was stated, many people could probably afford to buy a small portion of a share, more then can currently invest... so I am sure burnside will eventually do this as it would be in his own best interest in the future, unless there is something I am missing here.

TiuraZ

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 10:42:04 PM

The 15TH/s is just the following one week's schedule.

Some of the rest hashpower will be sold, some of them will be deployed in the weeks following the next week. The larger portion of them will still be deployed by ourselves.

Since we already had 7.5 TH/s deployed, it seems like you are deploying 7.5 TH/s this week.  Is that the weekly goal for deployment, 7.5 TH/s?  Or do you plan more for next week?

Friedcat & co own more of AM than all of us put together.  They have all the motivation in the world to deploy as fast as is safely possible.  You and everyone else here armchair-speculating about their activities and second-guessing the roadblocks and speed they have helps NO ONE.

It is pretty obvious that Friedcat believes that 7.5 TH/s is a reasonable estimate for the fastest they can possibly deploy.  If he could go faster, do you not think that he would?  7.5 TH/s is *750* hashing boards that have to be mounted, powered up, firmware-flashed, pointed to the pool and debugged.  If the racks aren't fully in place, that's ~37 racks that have to be built.  And that isn't even talking about cooling.  At least one in 100 is going to have a short that requires diagnostics.  "Plan for more next week?"  lol.  Give him a fucking break.  I highly doubt any of them plan to do anything except 15 hour days 7 days a week for the next MONTH.  Honestly I'd rather them slow it down a little bit as needed because tired people make mistakes, and mistakes could cost thousands.

As far as the other people asking what happened to the other ~5.8 TH/s from the original 12, they ran into power issues.  Powering 750 hashing boards is no easy feat.  They had timed the expansion of their power capacity with the delivery of the next 50 TH/s, rather perfectly I might add.  So now they both have more power and they have the 50TH/s.  So theoretically they can bring online 55.7 TH/s now, although we are selling so it won't be quite that much.

/rant

Thank you for writing this down. I hope many potential and current investors read it and recognize, they have fully ALIGNED INTERESTS with bitfountain. Friedcat could promise you everything under the sun. But that's more, say, BFL's thing. Friedcat is more in the delivering business  Grin

word +1
Rodyland

Activity: 499

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 10:43:06 PM

This is another good point; DRIP now is virtually impossible for smaller investors. With a 1/100 PT, it would make it more feasible.

.b

A "true" DRIP requires the company either issue more shares, or the company buy shares onmarket to then onsell to shareholders at a predetermined price (eg. 30 day VWAP prior to going ex-div).

I presume nobody who's a shareholder today wants AM to issue more shares, so that leaves AM buying shares onmarket to sell to shareholders.  The problem is that AM shares don't "list" anywhere.  Short of the auction thread or equivalent, all you can buy is PT shares.

Beware the weak hands!
1NcL6Mjm4qeiYYi2rpoCtQopPrH4PyKfUC
GPG ID: E3AA41E3
furuknap

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 10:45:20 PM

A "true" DRIP requires the company either issue more shares, or the company buy shares onmarket to then onsell to shareholders at a predetermined price (eg. 30 day VWAP prior to going ex-div).

I presume nobody who's a shareholder today wants AM to issue more shares, so that leaves AM buying shares onmarket to sell to shareholders.  The problem is that AM shares don't "list" anywhere.  Short of the auction thread or equivalent, all you can buy is PT shares.

This is already implemented on BTCT. You check off a checkbox and indicate a price you are willing to bid, and the system, I believe, puts out a bid at that level or buys at the lowest ask on the market.

I haven't tested this, though, so perhaps burnside can chime in on how this works?

.b

EDIT: Just in case anyone is confused, the BTCT shares are PT.

burnside
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

Lead Blockchain Developer

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 12:04:30 AM

This is already implemented on BTCT. You check off a checkbox and indicate a price you are willing to bid, and the system, I believe, puts out a bid at that level or buys at the lowest ask on the market.

I haven't tested this, though, so perhaps burnside can chime in on how this works?

.b

That pretty much sums it up.  Wink
Rodyland

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 12:21:32 AM

.b

That pretty much sums it up.  Wink

Yes, and well done to burnside for implementing this.  However a PT-DRIP is not a AM-DRIP.  As an AM shareholder, a DRIP is not a feasible option.  As a PT-shareholder, go nuts.

Beware the weak hands!
furuknap

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 12:28:54 AM

Yes, and well done to burnside for implementing this.  However a PT-DRIP is not a AM-DRIP.  As an AM shareholder, a DRIP is not a feasible option.  As a PT-shareholder, go nuts.

Pardon my ignorance, I'm a bit light-headed from watching the new AM blade auction, but I don't really see the difference. A PT or a PT/100 is always backed by an equal amount of regular shares. Although the underlying shares aren't traded publicly, the PT+PT/100 are, the major difference being the lack of voting rights and maybe dividend fees. For users, I fail to see the practical difference.

.b

kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 12:43:13 AM

Trying to get the price down?

Yes I did sell my shares, and I would considering buying again at lower prices. However, I have no illusions that the rabid AM masses will let that happen at a sensible price any time soon.

Mostly I'm asking the same thing I asked repeatedly before I sold:
Where the f$@# is all the hashing they promised?

This question should be MORE important to shareholders, so please quit trying to paint me as a manipulator. I am still an investor in bitcoin and watch many things I don't have stake in.

I think at the rate AM is going, you'll be waiting for a long time for cheap shares. I'm not sure if AM will ever be cheap (0.65BTC or less) again, once they are fully deployed, they will likely to keep mining at 30%-40% of BTC network hash rate perpetually, with re-investing of earnings into more hardware. Certainly you will not see cheap shares for this year, since AM will be 50TH in 1-2 months, no other competitor can even come close.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Rodyland

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 12:47:35 AM

Pardon my ignorance, I'm a bit light-headed from watching the new AM blade auction, but I don't really see the difference. A PT or a PT/100 is always backed by an equal amount of regular shares. Although the underlying shares aren't traded publicly, the PT+PT/100 are, the major difference being the lack of voting rights and maybe dividend fees. For users, I fail to see the practical difference.

.b

There are subtle differences, basically in that as a PT holder you have an agreement with the PT owner/manager, who has an agreement with AM.  As an AM shareholder you have an agreement with AM.

Yes, a PT or PT/100 should always be backed by shares, and a PT may keep a small percentage of the dividends as a management fee.

Most AM shareholders are not PT holders - total liquidity on the PTs that I am aware of (btct and bitfunder) is less than 15% of total AM shares (not counting the bitfountain shares).

My point was that there is no such thing as, and unlikely to be in the medium future, an AM-DRIP.  Asking for one is wasting your time.

If you want to reinvest your dividends, buy PT shares with those dividends.  Or convert your AM shares to PT shares and use the PT's DRIP.

Beware the weak hands!
furuknap

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 12:50:33 AM

My point was that there is no such thing as, and unlikely to be in the medium future, an AM-DRIP.  Asking for one is wasting your time.

If you want to reinvest your dividends, buy PT shares with those dividends.  Or convert your AM shares to PT shares and use the PT's DRIP.

I think we're just talking past each other because I don't think anyone talked about an AM DRIP but rather an 'AM equivalent' DRIP, in this case through either an existing PT (which is still not feasible) or a new PT/100.

.b

JaredR26

Activity: 219
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 12:51:10 AM

Trying to get the price down?

Yes I did sell my shares, and I would considering buying again at lower prices. However, I have no illusions that the rabid AM masses will let that happen at a sensible price any time soon.

Mostly I'm asking the same thing I asked repeatedly before I sold:
Where the f$@# is all the hashing they promised?

This question should be MORE important to shareholders, so please quit trying to paint me as a manipulator. I am still an investor in bitcoin and watch many things I don't have stake in.

I think at the rate AM is going, you'll be waiting for a long time for cheap shares. I'm not sure if AM will ever be cheap (0.65BTC or less) again, once they are fully deployed, they will likely to keep mining at 30%-40% of BTC network hash rate perpetually, with re-investing of earnings into more hardware. Certainly you will not see cheap shares for this year, since AM will be 50TH in 1-2 months, no other competitor can even come close.

Eventually the block halving will get it there, but that is several years out.  I don't even think the next block halving will cut shares to 0.65BTC or less, as AM will become a major hardware seller & miner by that time.  So if he wants to wait 6+ years for two block halvings... sure. Tongue
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 01:28:41 AM

Just saw this from a Smoothie post!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eF6FSdur8k

BFL Jalapeno assembly.

In the description, Josh claims that they'll have 10-20 Jalapenos per week rolling out from these machines, 100 GH/s per week... by the end of May.
Since they are BFL, that means the end of June!

BFL: 100 GH/s per week rolled out
Avalons: won't come out for 9-10 wks, and might still be delayed
Bitfountain: 7.5 TH/s per week Grin

Waiting for shares to go to 2 BTC each.

(BFL)^2 < 0
furuknap

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 01:33:31 AM

Just saw this from a Smoothie post!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eF6FSdur8k

BFL Jalapeno assembly.

In the description, Josh claims that they'll have 10-20 Jalapenos per week rolling out from these machines, 100 GH/s per week... by the end of May.
Since they are BFL, that means the end of June!

BFL: 100 GH/s per week rolled out
Avalons: won't come out for 9-10 wks, and might still be delayed
Bitfountain: 7.5 TH/s per week Grin

Waiting for shares to go to 2 BTC each.

For the record and for those that don't get it, this is a joke. It's a funny one, but still not quite real :-)

.b

Pages: « 1 ... 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 [192] 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: