Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:04:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 [204] 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916325 times)
Rodyland

Activity: 499
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:27:55 AM

Surely there has to be a way to use bitcoin itself, or the blockchain, to bid and avoid dummy bids?

http://www.bitescrow.org/

How about if to bid you need to get the auctioneer (one of several maybe) to set up an escrow transaction and send out a payment invite to the bidder.   The bidder pays bitcoin to the escrow account, and then publishes the address and amount to the thread.  The bid is deemed valid when the address hits the thread, and the bid amount can be verified by anyone.

If someone is outbid, the auctioneer sends them the other half of the escrow key.

For the winning bids, the escrow keys are sent to friedcat instead.

No dummy bids, no welching on payments.  Anyone buying to flip needs to front the bitcoin first.

Beware the weak hands!
1NcL6Mjm4qeiYYi2rpoCtQopPrH4PyKfUC
GPG ID: E3AA41E3
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
louong

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:30:06 AM

Not sure how realistic it is to auction all the USB sticks, maybe batches of 100 max each? You could make it a reverse auction, where ASICMINER will set an initial price (presumably high), and everyone who wants in on that price bids x# of units.

If all 100 are spoken for at that price, then an auction will start, with the bidding to start at the initial price, with a specified end date. This should weed out the period of initial low bids (see last ASICMINER auction where a lot of time and thread space was wasted for the bids between 9 to 30 BTC when the 30-50 BTC was what really mattered). At the end date and time, additional bids extend the auction by 5 minutes.

If all 100 are not sold at that initial price, then every hour/pre-determined time period, the price will drop by 0.5BTC, until there are enough unit bids to reach 100, at which point the auction ends, and the first 100 bids will pay the same price.

Seems feasible and a lot more easy.  Grin

the concern then, for me anyway, is the whole "lots of 100" part. i am absolutely looking to get my hands on some of these usb miners, but there's no way i can afford ten, let alone 100. would we see those who win the 100 then reselling them for a higher price, and that would be the only way for small fries like me to get one?

Sorry, meant an auction of 100 USB miners where bidders can bid on any amount of them (as opposed to say 300 or however many total that ASICMINER have ready). Each auction can happen once a week or something to prevent oversaturation.

I don't think resale should be an issue if we set a high initial price and then either sell all 100 by going down in price until there is enough demand to sell all 100. Or if for some reason there is enough demand from bidders to take all 100 units at the initial price, start the auction from that price so it saves time and work for John K. (or whoever is handling the auction).

Bitcoin Tips Accepted: 17r5ebmU2JDqEuEfWkWzJ9TkShS1MqTJYH
louong

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:33:05 AM

Surely there has to be a way to use bitcoin itself, or the blockchain, to bid and avoid dummy bids?

How about if to bid you need to get the auctioneer (one of several maybe) to set up an escrow transaction and send out a payment invite to the bidder.   The bidder pays bitcoin to the escrow account, and then publishes the address and amount to the thread.  The bid is deemed valid when the address hits the thread, and the bid amount can be verified by anyone.

If someone is outbid, the auctioneer sends them the other half of the escrow key.

No dummy bids, no welching on payments.  Anyone buying to flip needs to front the bitcoin first.

I like this - basically a "cash up front" auction to weed out non-serious people.

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:33:30 AM

Sorry, wouldn't work. You overestimate the general public's willingness to learn. Also, most buyers I know do not have the coins on hand, and transfer them via Gox or otherwise after the auction.
Rodyland

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:35:29 AM

I like this - basically a "cash up front" auction to weed out non-serious people.

Yes, cash up front.  Plus, the slow nature of 'get escrow -> make payment -> post in thread' means last minute sniping is hard to do.  Plus given that the auctioneers are involved in the placing of every bid, they can extend the auction by a couple of minutes for each escrow request?

Beware the weak hands!
Rodyland

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:37:24 AM

Sorry, wouldn't work. You overestimate the general public's willingness to learn. Also, most buyers I know do not have the coins on hand, and transfer them via Gox or otherwise after the auction.

That's a shame.  We have this incredible technology in our hands, and the best we can do to manage the auction is a python script that scrapes the auction page looking for something that looks like a bid, combined with a lot of manual effort by your good self and others.

Beware the weak hands!
JaredR26

Activity: 219
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:40:41 AM

That's a shame.  We have this incredible technology in our hands, and the best we can do to manage the auction is a python script that scrapes the auction page looking for something that looks like a bid, combined with a lot of manual effort by your good self and others.

Welcome to the wild west days again, when people in civilized areas had cars and electricity, and people in the wild west had semi-functional guns and a wagon.  (Before the railroads were completed)
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:42:42 AM

I would actually prefer your way to weed out problematic bidders, but I'll imagine that I would get more PM's on this. Heck, I had to answer a ton of newbie questions even though the auction is so simplified... Honestly many people would never read before asking. (proved during a group buy I escrowed too)
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 05:43:55 AM

Hmm... I'm not sure of how a Dutch auction for multiple goods would work. It would confuse some bidders too (heck, I've been getting PM's on how basic auctions work) Undecided

Easier than you'd think. You have a countdown clock counting down the price from high to low, say 1 btc per hour. As soon as someone accepts a price for a number of items, those items are sold at that price.

It's a very quick auction method, and has the advantage that it can still sell some items before a reserve is reached. It doesn't matter if people know the price range beforehand since they don't know how others will bid. Since people *really* don't want to be left out, they'll probably bid earlier rather than later (when the price is lower but the probability of missing out is higher).

This method removes the end of auction sniping that occurs in English auctions. You wait until the price hits something you can afford and then you post once and you're done, or you miss out. No more having to check the thread regularly after you bid and repost every time someone makes a new bid.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:46:40 AM

Hmm... I'm not sure of how a Dutch auction for multiple goods would work. It would confuse some bidders too (heck, I've been getting PM's on how basic auctions work) Undecided

Easier than you'd think. You have a countdown clock counting down the price from high to low, say 1 btc per hour. As soon as someone accepts a price for a number of items, those items are sold at that price.

It's a very quick auction method, and has the advantage that it can still sell some items before a reserve is reached. It doesn't matter if people know the price range beforehand since they don't know how others will bid. Since people *really* don't want to be left out, they'll probably bid earlier rather than later (when the price is lower but the probability of missing out is higher).

This method removes the end of auction sniping that occurs in English auctions. You wait until the price hits something you can afford and then you post once and you're done, or you miss out. No more having to check the thread regularly after you bid and repost every time someone makes a new bid.

Sounds like what louong said above too - yeah this should be a good way of auctioning these off painlessly. Cheesy
BitHub

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:47:12 AM

Any chance they'll be a separate auction or selling to shareholders direct with friedcat, not PT shareholders but friedcat ones? I'm sick of losing out to people who don't even have asicminer shares.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:47:52 AM

Any chance they'll be a separate auction or selling to shareholders direct with friedcat, not PT shareholders but friedcat ones? I'm sick of losing out to people who don't even have asicminer shares.
I think Apple should only sell products to shareholders too! I'm sick of not being able to get a release day iPhone 6S.

Less bidders -> less prices fetched
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:48:42 AM

Nah, I don't think so. It would be trivial to buy one share for example, and bid.
louong

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:49:09 AM

If I was a shareholder I would want ASICMINER to maximize profit by making the products available to all bidders, not just ASICMINER shareholders.

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:50:40 AM

If I was a shareholder I would want ASICMINER to maximize profit by making the products available to all bidders, not just ASICMINER shareholders.
True. As a shareholder I agree to this.
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 05:51:14 AM

What AsicMiner need is a better public image, a website.

And a forum while at it, This bloated thread is not cutting it.

I have no idea where we are on that front but that should be a priority if you intent on selling products to end-users.
friedcat (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 848
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:53:34 AM

The Block Erupter USB sticks passed all the tests and we are about to produce them in quantity.

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 05:54:38 AM

True. As a shareholder I agree to this.

The way the dividends will soon be going, the shareholders will be the only ones who can afford the price!

BitHub

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 05:55:07 AM

that's cool i understand that i guess, i just dont want to miss out hey.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 05:59:49 AM

Sounds like what louong said above too - yeah this should be a good way of auctioning these off painlessly. Cheesy

As long as people can buy as many as they want on the way down until all are sold - is that what louong meant? Anyway, a Dutch auction is perfect for forums especially if it's to take place over hours or days (unless sold out first).

English auctions are really suitable only for short periods of time, and where upping your bid any number of times is possible - which it isn't on a forum.

Pages: « 1 ... 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 [204] 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: