Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:56:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 [818] 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 ... 1348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICMINER: Entering the Future of ASIC Mining by Inventing It  (Read 3916349 times)
Mausini

Activity: 177
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 12:24:30 PM

This makes sense, but you may be leaving out two relevant (ASIC Mining gear) market segments:
1) New Bitcoin investors that prefer to mine their coins instead of buying them (there are different reasons for this that have been discussed somewhere else)
2) "Corporate Miners" that need to stay on top of the game

Also, you should be very cautious when declaring the whole mining industry "not profitable at current difficulty levels" - as long as Bitcoin prices keep moving they have, it will be extremely difficult to prove this assertion. Looking at ROI in BTC alone can be an extremely misleading simplification.
I somewhat agree with the above paragraph, but the following one seems just wrong: since you pay the device in BTC, you have to consider only the BTC itself: exchange rate with other currency is totally irrelevant, since you had anyway the option of "just keeping your BTC" and having them appreciate exactly the same.

I'm quite tired of having to explain this time and again, it's so obvious but people keep getting it wrong. Will they ever learn?

You are wrong. Your pretentious attitude sucks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
reactor

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 01:06:20 PM

This makes sense, but you may be leaving out two relevant (ASIC Mining gear) market segments:
1) New Bitcoin investors that prefer to mine their coins instead of buying them (there are different reasons for this that have been discussed somewhere else)

Also, you should be very cautious when declaring the whole mining industry "not profitable at current difficulty levels" - as long as Bitcoin prices keep moving they have, it will be extremely difficult to prove this assertion. Looking at ROI in BTC alone can be an extremely misleading simplification.
I somewhat agree with the above paragraph, but the following one seems just wrong: since you pay the device in BTC, you have to consider only the BTC itself: exchange rate with other currency is totally irrelevant, since you had anyway the option of "just keeping your BTC" and having them appreciate exactly the same.

I'm quite tired of having to explain this time and again, it's so obvious but people keep getting it wrong. Will they ever learn?

You are wrong. Your pretentious attitude sucks.

Can we just stop this pointless argument?  

Any device paid for in BTC that won't return the original payment price in BTC is not worth purchasing.  This is most devices on the market now, if not all.  This is the "buy and hold" argument.  (Not considering the aftermarket resale of hardware, also known as passing the potato to the next sucker.) Anything paid for in fiat should look to the ultimate return value in fiat, regardless of BTC market fluctuations.  This also depends/relies on selling off the mined crypto to return said fiat.  Saying "I hold 5BTC for a device I paid $5000 for" is somewhat meaningless because you've input $5000 and output nothing.  If BTC crashes to $200 before you can cash out, you've spent $5000 to get back $1000.  Or saying you took out a bank loan and got a crap ton of BTC at $1100, now you've got a crap-ton of bytes on speculative currency and cannot make loan payments because you lack fiat.  

Why we're still arguing about this, especially outside the speculation thread, blows my mind.  Believe in utopia where holding BTC while you are paying so much for mining hardware that you can't pay your rent/mortgage makes you some crypto uber-god if that suits you or be realistic and understand the dynamics between fiat and a speculative currency and how the ultimate need for fiat overpowers the "holding power" of a crypto, but stop trying to convince other people that one way is the true way.  

We're all in this to profit, be it through life experience or dollars, now let's push this thread back towards relevant AM information and move the bickering elsewhere.  I'd like to be able to check this thread every couple of days, as a shareholder, to find relevant information on AM.  Not return to the same bullshit bickering about share prices vs. dividends vs. speculative portions of the network.  
chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 01:07:45 PM

I think if bitcoin is going to succeed than the mining reward will have to plateau... perhaps at 10 btc per block... maybe 5... either way... I don't think there are only 9 million bitcoins left from mining.
stslimited

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 03:03:40 PM

I think if bitcoin is going to succeed than the mining reward will have to plateau... perhaps at 10 btc per block... maybe 5... either way... I don't think there are only 9 million bitcoins left from mining.

lol, you don't know what you are talking about...... cute
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 03:04:42 PM

if i understand you correctly, you have no clue how bitcoin mining works. IT DOES PLATEAU (ish) as the total number of coins in existence approaches 21M.

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 03:15:23 PM

if i understand you correctly, you have no clue how bitcoin mining works. IT DOES PLATEAU (ish) as the total number of coins in existence approaches 21M.
I think he meant for the rate to plateau, which means a slower convergence of the inflation rate and a higher subsidy for mining.

Subsidy for mining only encourages infrastructure building. It is conceivable that the mining infrastructure has equilibrated within the next 6 years, thus the subsidy is not necessary and the free market rule (transaction fees) can take over.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
chriswilmer
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 03:39:11 PM

The transaction fees per block will likely increase with time (today it is approximately 0.3 btc per block) so that the total mining reward per block (fees + new coins) may never go below some value, which I am guessing to be between 5 and 10 btc per block.

From a miner's perspective that means that there are unlimited bitcoins to mine in the future so long as bitcoin is a useful widely adopted currency.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 04:25:47 PM

The transaction fees per block will likely increase with time (today it is approximately 0.3 btc per block) so that the total mining reward per block (fees + new coins) may never go below some value, which I am guessing to be between 5 and 10 btc per block.

From a miner's perspective that means that there are unlimited bitcoins to mine in the future so long as bitcoin is a useful widely adopted currency.

I think that was the mistake you made and which amused Mr stslimited. there is a difference between new coins and fees. Hence there is only about 9M BTC yet to be mined. period. Wink
chriswilmer
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 05:02:30 PM

I think that was the mistake you made and which amused Mr stslimited. there is a difference between new coins and fees. Hence there is only about 9M BTC yet to be mined. period. Wink

Smiley

The important point is that, when valuing AM, the 9 million number is not relevant. Steady state mining revenue is.
donut

Activity: 248
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 05:08:52 PM

No, there's only about 9M BTC of FRESH BTC to be mined. There's infinite BTC available to mine through transaction feees.
chriswilmer
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 05:09:33 PM

No, there's only about 9M BTC of FRESH BTC to be mined. There's infinite BTC available to mine through transaction feees.

+1
hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 05:38:31 PM

+1

well i know that thank you, but i referred to 'mining' as to the purpose of getting 'new' coins. thats all.
donut

Activity: 248
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 05:43:02 PM

+1

well i know that thank you, but i referred to 'mining' as to the purpose of getting 'new' coins. thats all.

And we're referring to mining for the purpose of ASICMiner income.
hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 05:50:33 PM

+1

And we're referring to mining for the purpose of ASICMiner income.

ahh yes, sure, obviously.. but hey i was just trying to figure out what made Mr stslimited react with such a condescendant ton when *chriswilmer shared his view in here.  Cheesy
BitThink
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 02:25:41 AM

It's not necessary for the mining income to keep at 10 BTC considering the appreciation of BTC. If BTC is adopted well in the future, its price will be well above 100K, and meanwhile the cost of mining a block in fiat will not increase so much (the exponential increase will not last for long). Therefore, it's possible that miners could be still profitable even with 0.1 BTC reward ( = 10K = 10BTC at current price) per block.

Anyway, all these are just some speculation and let's move on to something concrete news from AM. Sadly, there's still no PR available.
chriswilmer
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 02:33:19 AM

It's not necessary for the mining income to keep at 10 BTC considering the appreciation of BTC. If BTC is adopted well in the future, its price will be well above 100K, and meanwhile the cost of mining a block in fiat will not increase so much (the exponential increase will not last for long). Therefore, it's possible that miners could be still profitable even with 0.1 BTC reward ( = 10K = 10BTC at current price) per block.

Anyway, all these are just some speculation and let's move on to something concrete news from AM. Sadly, there's still no PR available.

You may very well be right about this. An argument can be made that transaction fees in bitcoin will never be higher than today. That would be bad news for AM though... right?
BitThink
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 03:01:35 AM

You may very well be right about this. An argument can be made that transaction fees in bitcoin will never be higher than today. That would be bad news for AM though... right?

Yes, if you measure your ROI in BTC, BTC appreciation is a bad news for AM in most cases.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 05:18:31 AM

lol. No, history has taught you that indeed, some people never learn. Expect to keep explaining Smiley
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 05:20:06 AM

Fees are constantly being thought about / tinkered with by the developers. And let's face it, we have no idea what volume of fees will be like in 3-5 years. I wouldn't worry about fees at the moment, just mine those darned coins Smiley
bitcoin.newsfeed

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 01:21:58 PM

So what is ASICminer's board view on that mess in China?

Code:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1umcj8/taobao_prohibits_bitcoin_and_perhiperals_trading/

Background
In order to follow the notice previously issued by the central banks, the central banks require third party payment system to stop the trading of Bitcoin Litecoin etc. (The notice issued by PBC at 12/5)
Details
Include but not limit to
    Bitcoin Litecoin Quark Infinitycoin Pennycoin PPCoin Namecoin... etc cryptos
    Bitcoin or other cryptos' mining tutorial, strategies
    Software or hardware for mining Bitcoin or other cryptos

... Question Everything, Believe Nothing ...
Pages: « 1 ... 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 [818] 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 ... 1348 »
  Print  

Jump to: