Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:34:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 ... 227 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin XT - Officially #REKT (also goes for BIP101 fraud)  (Read 378926 times)
brg444 (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 07:48:00 PM

The idea that Core Dev should use the block size limit as a policy tool to balance blockchain growth with transaction fees is definitely interesting. It reminds me of J.M. Keynes's idea that state intervention was necessary to moderate "boom and bust" cycles of economic activity.

It isn't the Core Dev per say that dictate this limit but the network of peers (full nodes). If ever they decide that the current implementation of the protocol is obsolete only they hold the power to move away from it. By all accounts they haven't yet so we can assume that the market that constitutes the Bitcoin network has decided that the existing block size limit is a valid policy tool.

I agree: in reality, the power that Core Dev has over the evolution of Bitcoin is illusory (at least in the long run and especially if they choose to fight the market).  Consensus is ultimately determined by the code we run.

I want to let the size and the limit on the size be determined naturally by the free market--that is, without top-down intervention.
And how exactly would you go about doing that.

Doing exactly what we are doing: educating the community that the power over the evolution of Bitcoin lies in the hands of the user for the reasons you just described.   Here is a great post on the topic:

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/3skbkz/forkology_101_the_source_of_the_sanctity_of_the/

I think most of the people running full nodes understand that.

This is the problem I have with some of you people: this presumption that somehow you need to save Bitcoin.

Bitcoin is doing just fine.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
brg444 (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 07:48:35 PM

*educating*

wow, no kidding.

I know right  Roll Eyes

Who holds the benevolent educator position?

You, Peter?  Cheesy

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
Zarathustra
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 07:50:16 PM

Bitcoin is capped by DESIGN.

Yes:

Quote from: Melbustus
It sounds like you don't realize how the network was designed: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=68655.msg11625671#msg11625671
Peter R
Legendary

Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 07:51:22 PM

This is the problem I have with some of you people: this presumption that somehow you need to save Bitcoin.

I suppose this is the crux of the debate.  I agree that Bitcoin is doing just fine and perceive those who wish to use the block size limit as a policy tool as those who are trying to "save" bitcoin.  

Quote from: brg444
Who holds the benevolent educator position? You, Peter?  Cheesy

No one really understands Bitcoin--we are all in this learning together.  We move forward by presenting our ideas, research and experimental results, and then discussing them freely and openly.  

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 07:54:52 PM

*educating*

wow, no kidding.

I know right  Roll Eyes

You, Peter?  Cheesy

besides, hardly 5000 subscribers and 100 active users  over there at r/btc is NOT "bitcoin community"

also:

what a joke of a community..  Roll Eyes

brg444 (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 07:57:13 PM

I suppose this is the crux of the debate.  I agree that Bitcoin is doing just fine and perceive the small blockers as those trying to "save" bitcoin. 

How does that even compute?

The "small blockers" represent the status quo. If it wasn't for the agitprop propaganda us "small blockers" wouldn't even be having this debate.

XII. The current 1Mb limit is arbitrary. We want to change it. Please ignore the fact that the discussion is about whether to change or not to change, and please ignore that the onus is on whoever proposes change to justify it. Instead, buy into our pretense that the discussion is about "which arbitrary value". Because we're idiots, and so should be you!

Go away.

http://trilema.com/2015/third-pass-addressing-the-more-common-pseudo-arguments-raised-by-the-very-stupid-people-that-like-the-gavin-scamcoin-proposal/

Zarathustra
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 07:59:18 PM

*educating*

wow, no kidding.

I know right  Roll Eyes

You, Peter?  Cheesy

besides, hardly 5000 subscribers and 100 active users  over there at r/btc is NOT "bitcoin community"

also:

such delusions Roll Eyes

Quality before quantity. Compare the discussions over there with the childish memegenerator chats here.
The most members here are discussing altcoins. This forum became more ore less an altcoin forum that censors bitcoin discussions.
hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 08:01:19 PM
Last edit: November 12, 2015, 08:25:32 PM by hdbuck

I suppose this is the crux of the debate.  I agree that Bitcoin is doing just fine and perceive those who wish to use the block size limit as a policy tool as those who are trying to "save" bitcoin.  

No one really understands Bitcoin--we are all in this learning together.  We move forward by presenting our ideas, research and experimental results, and then discussing them freely and openly.  

We dont give a heck about your ideas peter, you need to accept this.

You and your scam promoter cypherdoc have been ostracized from the real bitcoin community and into cryptoshame.
You, your fork, if not this whole bitcoin unlimited are a joke.
We are not debating here, we are making fun of you toxic clowns.

That's all Smiley
VeritasSapere

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 08:05:14 PM

The idea that Core Dev should use the block size limit as a policy tool to balance blockchain growth with transaction fees is definitely interesting. It reminds me of J.M. Keynes's idea that state intervention was necessary to moderate "boom and bust" cycles of economic activity.

It isn't the Core Dev per say that dictate this limit but the network of peers (full nodes). If ever they decide that the current implementation of the protocol is obsolete only they hold the power to move away from it. By all accounts they haven't yet so we can assume that the market that constitutes the Bitcoin network has decided that the existing block size limit is a valid policy tool.

I agree: in reality, the power that Core Dev has over the evolution of Bitcoin is illusory (at least in the long run and especially if they choose to fight the market).  Consensus is ultimately determined by the code we run.

I want to let the size and the limit on the size be determined naturally by the free market--that is, without top-down intervention.

Doing exactly what we are doing: educating the community that the power over the evolution of Bitcoin lies in the hands of the user for the reasons you just described.   Here is a great post on the topic:

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/3skbkz/forkology_101_the_source_of_the_sanctity_of_the/

Bitcoin reflects the will of the economic majority, if the economic majority does not want freedom then Bitcoin could start to reflect that. My point being is that if you convince enough people that they do not have a choice and that they should rely on an authority instead of using their own judgement then Bitcoin can be subverted. In the same way that state democracies can also be subverted and become less free.

Quote from: Rip Rowan
The only way to destroy freedom, is to convince people they are safer without it. This is exactly what is happening to Bitcoin.
https://medium.com/@riprowan/the-entire-debate-transcends-block-sizes-and-gets-to-the-fundamental-principles-of-bitcoin-as-c7f7bc1a493#.qj0wwps11
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 08:07:31 PM

Let the record state that Peter R is now bombarding the board, not with a torrent of bizarre treatise to create multiple sets of consensus rules on a consenus-driven network, but with conciliatory presentation of an essentially similar technical argument. Interesting.

Vires in numeris
Zarathustra
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 08:07:38 PM

LOL. You prove the opposite every day by talking excessively about Gavin, Mike, Peter R. et alikes.
brg444 (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 08:08:25 PM

Bitcoin reflects the will of the economic majority, if the economic majority does not want freedom then Bitcoin could start to reflect that. My point being is that if you convince enough people that they do not have a choice and that they should rely on an authority instead of using their own judgement then Bitcoin can be subverted. In the same way that state democracies can also be subverted and become less free.

The only way to destroy freedom, is to convince people they are safer without it. This is exactly what is happening to Bitcoin.
https://medium.com/@riprowan/the-entire-debate-transcends-block-sizes-and-gets-to-the-fundamental-principles-of-bitcoin-as-c7f7bc1a493#.qj0wwps11

You have consistently proven unable to understand who the Bitcoin's economic majority is so your opinion on the subject is worth about the same thing as if I'd ask the hobo down the street.

Peter R
Legendary

Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 08:09:05 PM

I suppose this is the crux of the debate.  I agree that Bitcoin is doing just fine and perceive the small blockers as those trying to "save" bitcoin.  

The "small blockers" represent the status quo. If it wasn't for the agitprop propaganda us "small blockers" wouldn't even be having this debate.

For the history of Bitcoin, the block size limit Qmax served as an anti-spam measure.  The free-market equilibrium block size Q* was smaller than this limit.  From my vantage point, Q* < Qmax is the status quo.  

I see the small blockers as the ones who are trying to introduce a new idea: that Qmax should be less than Q* and used as a policy tool by Core Dev to balance fees with the rate of blockchain growth.

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
brg444 (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 08:09:43 PM

LOL. You prove the opposite every day by talking excessively about Gavin, Mike, Peter R. et alikes.

In absence price action one has to entertain himself with something  Grin

MbccompanyX

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 08:10:30 PM

You have consistently proven unable to understand who the Bitcoin's economic majority is so your opinion on the subject is worth about the same thing as if I'd ask the hobo down the street.

Then why are you still giving "water" to VeritasSapere? He will always open his mouth about this thread until there will be nothing more to talk about or he will end the sources of fake news about bitcoin or just will destroy the keyboard from doing all this......

brg444 (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 08:12:05 PM

I suppose this is the crux of the debate.  I agree that Bitcoin is doing just fine and perceive the small blockers as those trying to "save" bitcoin.  

For the history of Bitcoin, the block size limit Qmax served as an anti-spam measure.  The free-market equilibrium block size Q* was smaller than this limit.  From my vantage point, Q* < Qmax is the status quo.  

I see the small blockers as the ones who are trying to introduce a new idea: the Qmax should be less than Q* and used as a policy tool by Core Dev to balance fees with the rate of blockchain growth.

It still does.

"The current 1Mb limit is arbitrary. We want to change it."

"Please ignore the fact that the discussion is about whether to change or not to change, and please ignore that the onus is on whoever proposes change to justify it."

"Instead, buy into our pretense that the discussion is about "which arbitrary value". Because we're idiots, and so should be you!"

GO AWAY

hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 08:12:23 PM
Last edit: November 12, 2015, 08:24:27 PM by hdbuck

inb4 buncha blog posts like this one pops up once they created a social media forking precedent: https://medium.com/@twobitidiot/the-21mm-btc-soft-cap-71e14cd09946

this is a governance coup, by the state, for the state.

and it will has fail, you guys are too late, sry.

now back in your bitco.in cryptoshame cave. hush hushh.
brg444 (OP)

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 08:18:42 PM

"The community" of people that need things can not fork Bitcoin to provide for their needs at the expense of the actual community of people that create things and own things. Related to this, let us reiterate those ancient points about Bitcoin :

TALKING ABOUT BITCOIN, EVEN IF IN A GROUP, DOES NOT MAKE YOU PART OF BITCOIN.

This pretty much sums up the "debate".

hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 08:19:23 PM

"The community" of people that need things can not fork Bitcoin to provide for their needs at the expense of the actual community of people that create things and own things. Related to this, let us reiterate those ancient points about Bitcoin :

TALKING ABOUT BITCOIN, EVEN IF IN A GROUP, DOES NOT MAKE YOU PART OF BITCOIN.

This pretty much sums up the "debate".

+1 add emphasis.
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 08:28:01 PM
Last edit: November 12, 2015, 08:41:42 PM by Zangelbert Bingledack

This sort of argument boils down to an assumption that miners are not net economically-rational. If you think that, then you must think that bitcoin can *never* work. Miners being net-econo-rational actually *IS* probably a core axiom that must be accepted for Bitcoin to be viable. So arguments that reject that idea are worthless.

Wow, this sort of blew my mind.  Can we prove this somehow?  And if we did prove this, would it not logically follow that top-down planning à la Core Dev (e.g., using the block size as a policy tool rather than allowing it to emerge naturally) is at best redundant and at worst damaging?

Yes, basically miners serve as a proxy for investors (in fact miners are a kind of investor as well, but investors pushing up the price incentivize miners to mine). Since investors are who control Bitcoin, miners are also part of "who control Bitcoin" both by proxy and directly. If we cannot trust the market of investors or we cannot trust the market of miners, we cannot trust Bitcoin.

This should be no surprise, really, as Satoshi originally spoke of users voting with their CPU power (now read: hashing power) to choose which fork they like. Bitcoin was always an emergent phenomenon of the market, not a planned phenomenon of certain developers.

It's easy to confuse this, because certain economic parameters in Bitcoin were planned by Satoshi...but it was not the dev Satoshi who made them part of the World Wide Ledger. It was the market. The market just happened to like his parameters. The market has not expressed an opinion on blocksize because it has never had a chance nor a reason to.

Forks give it the chance, and full blocks will soon give it the reason. Combine the two and

or maybe nothing. We will see. I happen to think the market will choose a substantial increase.
Pages: « 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 ... 227 »
  Print  

Jump to: