Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:49:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-Central, first exchange licensed to operate with a bank. This is HUGE  (Read 191822 times)
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 10:20:04 PM

So TCP/IP needed to get approval from the "regulators" before it was widely adopted?

Then the bitcoin protocol may not be all it is cracked up to be .... if  Erik Vorhees is correct that bitcoin needs the crutch of state approval in order to get widely adopted, then I would say it is deficient as a technology and not fit for purpose .... bring on bitcoin2.0. (Holy Trinity should be nimble for the crypto-currency 2G will be life threatening for them.)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 10:26:26 PM

So TCP/IP needed to get approval from the "regulators" before it was widely adopted?

Then the bitcoin protocol may not be all it is cracked up to be .... if  Erik Vorhees is correct that bitcoin needs the crutch of state approval in order to get widely adopted, then I would say it is deficient as a technology and not fit for purpose .... bring on bitcoin2.0. (Holy Trinity should be nimble for the crypto-currency 2G will be life threatening for them.)

It's not about bitcoin being regulated, it's about bitcoin exchanges.

davout (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2012, 10:27:28 PM

Oh god, please stop with this regulating Bitcoin nonsense.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 10:52:55 PM

Yes, indeed we should just stop with this nonsense of getting the bitcoin technology regulated ....

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 10:53:16 PM

Yes, indeed we should just stop with this nonsense of getting the bitcoin technology regulated ....
No one here is asking for that.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 10:53:39 PM

Congrats!

But before I verify my account, I would like to know: what is an assymmetric cypher?

The documents you are submitting are used only to verify your account. Once your account is verified your documents are archived after being properly encrypted using an assymmetric cipher

If this means you're going to brand my ID on a cows ass I'm all for it!

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
zebedee
Donator

Activity: 668
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 10:55:39 PM

We honestly didn't think there would be this kind of massive interest from Americans and other nationalities all around the world. We honestly didn't think there would be this kind of massive interest from Americans and other nationalities all around the world.

Welcome to the new age of fiscal facism ... US citizens will flock to anything that is somehow outside their fiscal prison of a banking system where you don't have to submit to the psychological equivalent of a full cavity search just to manage and transact with your own money.

You come across as being a little naive to the true nature of the battle going on out there ... good luck.
+1
davout (OP)
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2012, 11:28:42 PM

Congrats!

But before I verify my account, I would like to know: what is an assymmetric cypher?

The documents you are submitting are used only to verify your account. Once your account is verified your documents are archived after being properly encrypted using an assymmetric cipher

If this means you're going to brand my ID on a cows ass I'm all for it!

:3

Liquid

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 11:40:17 PM

posted on my forum

http://www.maxishine.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=29676

also it was on Legit Reviews

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/14665/

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 11:42:19 PM

We honestly didn't think there would be this kind of massive interest from Americans and other nationalities all around the world. We honestly didn't think there would be this kind of massive interest from Americans and other nationalities all around the world.

Welcome to the new age of fiscal facism ... US citizens will flock to anything that is somehow outside their fiscal prison of a banking system where you don't have to submit to the psychological equivalent of a full cavity search just to manage and transact with your own money.

You come across as being a little naive to the true nature of the battle going on out there ... good luck.
+1

Why do you think eurodollars even exist? (For the past 50 or so years).

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 11:55:48 PM

Maybe not overtly or knowingly, but they are undoubtedly paving the way for it.

davout (OP)
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2012, 11:58:36 PM

Just as much as Satoshi paved the way for Bitcoin regulation by inventing Bitcoin.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 12:16:38 AM

Just as much as Satoshi paved the way for Bitcoin regulation by inventing Bitcoin.

As far as I know, Satoshi was not in the habit of asking permission from "authorities" before writing software .... you, on the other hand, appear to be.

mrvision

Activity: 527
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 12:35:54 AM

As far as I know, Satoshi was not in the habit of asking permission from "authorities" before writing software .... you, on the other hand, appear to be.
+11111111111111111111111111111111
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 01:06:53 AM

Do you realize that your detractors have been achieving their core goals, right?  No matter what you do, it will not directly affect them (or me), yet each moment you spend responding to them delays your progress.  They are winning, whether or not they are correct.  While I, personally, don't agree that one bitcoin based business making agreements with establishment institutions in Europe has any great effect upon Bitcoin as a whole; I also don't view such a developement as automaticly a positive one.  Furthermore, I don't believe that you will actually be permitted to succeed.  If such a development actually is a net positive for Bitcoin, you will be undermined to your final bankruptcy at least.  If such a development survives six months, I will take that to mean that it's a net negative for Bitcoin, and avoid you like the plague.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 01:11:06 AM

Do you realize that your detractors have been achieving their core goals, right?  No matter what you do, it will not directly affect them (or me), yet each moment you spend responding to them delays your progress.  They are winning, whether or not they are correct.  While I, personally, don't agree that one bitcoin based business making agreements with establishment institutions in Europe has any great effect upon Bitcoin as a whole; I also don't view such a developement as automaticly a positive one.  Furthermore, I don't believe that you will actually be permitted to succeed.  If such a development actually is a net positive for Bitcoin, you will be undermined to your final bankruptcy at least.  If such a development survives six months, I will take that to mean that it's a net negative for Bitcoin, and avoid you like the plague.

Where can I buy tinfoil hats with bitcoin?

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 01:28:47 AM

Where can I buy tinfoil goldfoil hats with bitcoin?

Good question, maybe you got yourself a start-up right there.

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 01:44:39 AM

Fiat is regulated : fact.
Bitcoin is not : fact.

Bitcoin exchanges are by definition an interface between these worlds, so I fail to see how it comes as a big surprise to anyone that in order to be sustainable in this business an exchange has to be licensed for the fiat-handling part.

BINGO!!!! Perfectly said!

The interfaces that link with the old rails will have to follow the old rail rules. If they don't, they'll be shut down, and then there won't be links with the old rails, and Bitcoin will be far weaker and less useful.
evoorhees
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 01:52:35 AM

Then the bitcoin protocol may not be all it is cracked up to be .... if  Erik Vorhees is correct that bitcoin needs the crutch of state approval in order to get widely adopted, then I would say it is deficient as a technology and not fit for purpose .... bring on bitcoin2.0. (Holy Trinity should be nimble for the crypto-currency 2G will be life threatening for them.)

You do a disservice to everyone when you characterize my argument so poorly.

Bitcoin does not "need the crutch of state approval" in order to get widely adopted. And I'm not advocating that bitcoin get state anything.

But those companies which interface Bitcoin with the old world of money will simply be shut down if they do not comply. You understand this? Not every bitcoin company needs to run out and get licensing, but those which are explicitly handling fiat money and fiat accounts must absolutely comply, else they'll be destroyed the moment they try to scale into anything meaningful.

Bitcoin companies that deal with fiat are different than bitcoin itself. The former must follow the rules or be closed (this is a fact, sad though it may be). The latter, Bitcoin itself, doesn't have to care at all about regulation, because it transcends it.

Do you see the difference?
evoorhees
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 01:58:07 AM

That's because Davout is writing software that interfaces with the old world of fiat. If Satoshi opened an exchange, you can bet your ass he'd need to get registered or licensed by some dismal government, else the exchange would be gone.

Plug into the crappy old rails, and you need to deal with the crap. That Bitcoin itself is clean and beautiful, and doesn't itself touch the old rails, doesn't mean the various on-ramps and off-ramps that connect to it can ignore reality.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: