Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:59:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-Central, first exchange licensed to operate with a bank. This is HUGE  (Read 191822 times)
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 01:45:44 PM

Just for the few people here who seem a little confused : Bitcoin is legally neither currency, nor electronic money.

It is a financial instrument, tho (at leas so sayeth BAFin).
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 02:44:06 PM

Just for the few people here who seem a little confused : Bitcoin is legally neither currency, nor electronic money.

Not at all 2weiX, but digital property like for example a domain name. We've been having allot of talks with our lawyers here in Spain, and the most probable course of action will be to follow laws and regulations regarding personal property that are already in place for the digital realm.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
becoin
Legendary

Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 02:53:16 PM

and the most probable course of action will be to follow laws and regulations regarding personal property that are already in place for the digital realm.
That'll be a big mistake! If you follow this course of action all bitcoin exchanges will have to apply sales tax in the US or VAT in the EU which is roughly 20% on every bitcoin sale. You understand that bitcoin can not compete with any fiat currency if 20% "fee" is applied on all currency conversions!
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 03:24:01 PM

and the most probable course of action will be to follow laws and regulations regarding personal property that are already in place for the digital realm.
That'll be a big mistake! If you follow this course of action all bitcoin exchanges will have to apply sales tax in the US or VAT in the EU which is roughly 20% on every bitcoin sale. You understand that bitcoin can not compete with any fiat currency if 20% "fee" is applied on all currency conversions!

Please read again, I said digital property not digital goods, although you can find certain tax exempt goods too.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
becoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 03:43:47 PM

Please read again, I said digital property not digital goods, although you can find certain tax exempt goods too.
I'm not aware of any judicial system that makes distinction between digital property and digital goods. The article you've pointed me to is describing only the digital property:

Intellectual property rights also can exist in digital property, such as pictures, music, movies, literary works, Web pages, computer code, and other creative works.

If above items are digital property I wonder what would be digital goods then?
davout (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 03:57:36 PM

Surprisingly, becoin is right, if you sell stuff there's VAT.

Oh, so that's where you were going, be a fixed-rate exchanger, sell BTC, pay VAT on sales but find some sort of category that benefits from a VAT full/partial exemption and get lawyers to make it fit in said category. Right?

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 04:04:45 PM

I'm not aware of any judicial system that makes distinction between digital property and digital goods. The article you've pointed me to is describing only the digital property:

Intellectual property rights also can exist in digital property, such as pictures, music, movies, literary works, Web pages, computer code, and other creative works.

If above items are digital property I wonder what would be digital goods then?

Explaining the difference would be quite lengthy and off-topic for this thread. You can look at it like the difference from real estate, house or land deeds, and chattels which are your possession too but can be moved with ease. Bitcoin would be the equivalent of real estate in this case, and the only thing that changes would be their possession in the blockchain. This is similar to a central register that is maintained by your local Town Hall with all the people's property on available land.

Sorry for derailing this topic.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 04:17:54 PM
Last edit: May 30, 2013, 04:48:51 PM by paraipan

Surprisingly, becoin is right, if you sell stuff there's VAT.

Oh, so that's where you were going, be a fixed-rate exchanger, sell BTC, pay VAT on sales but find some sort of category that benefits from a VAT full/partial exemption and get lawyers to make it fit in said category. Right?

That's right davout. We found out this could be applied to a floating rate exchange too, so a a license for money transmitting would only be required in case we want to provide extra services to our clients, but not the basic exchange of bitcoins for fiat. A recent similar decision was made public by the Canadian FinTRAC authority.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/20/canada_welcomes_bitcoin_traders_fintrac_letter/

davout (OP)
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 04:41:09 PM

That's right davout. We found out this could be applied to a floating rate exchange too, so a a license for money transmitting would only be required in case want to provide extra services to our clients, but not the basic exchange of bitcoins for fiat. A recent similar decision was made public by the Canadian FinTRAC authority.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/20/canada_welcomes_bitcoin_traders_fintrac_letter/
It depends on what you call a floating rate exchange.

As soon as you touch the clients funds you need a license because you're escrowing them, aka holding them on deposit.

The alternative is "we buy from the seller, and sell to the buyer in the very same operation, the money on deposit is just a pre-payment to us" but then the whole VAT mess sneaks back in.

So your thing is "Bitcoins aren't sold or bought, only their 'property titles' are negotiated" that's really interesting. I'll look into it Smiley

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 04:45:58 PM

So your thing is "Bitcoins aren't sold or bought, only their 'property titles' are negotiated" that's really interesting. I'll look into it Smiley

Exactly, I recommend you look into SEDO, the biggest marketplace for domain names around. I think I already did enough thread derailing for today.

becoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 04:53:44 PM

You can look at it like the difference from real estate, house or land deeds, and chattels which are your possession too but can be moved with ease.
In all the countries I've lived so far transactions in real estate, house or land deeds, and chattels are NOT tax exempt! You have to pay both federal and local taxes. So, back to square 1.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 04:56:22 PM

You can look at it like the difference from real estate, house or land deeds, and chattels which are your possession too but can be moved with ease.
In all the countries I've lived so far transactions in real estate, house or land deeds, and chattels are NOT tax exempt! You have to pay both federal and local taxes. So, back to square 1.

Sit back and relax, you have the answer in your post. NOT tax exempt, but you don't pay VAT  Wink

becoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 05:02:10 PM

Exactly, I recommend you look into SEDO, the biggest marketplace for domain names around. I think I already did enough thread derailing for today.
I appreciate when somebody is trying to find a solution but believe me, this is the wrong way to follow. Domain names are very different from bitcoins. For instance, there is only one "manufacturer" worldwide of .com's, .net's, .org's etc. This is why they have special treatment. While with bitcoins every miner is a "manufacturer" of bitcoins and will have to pay sales tax when they sell their product if, of course, bitcoin don't get the status of a currency.
becoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 05:06:28 PM

Sit back and relax, you have the answer in your post. NOT tax exempt, but you don't pay VAT  Wink
It is worse. You pay a dozen of different taxes and fees depending on the location and there are also different restriction upon subsequent resales.
davout (OP)
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 05:09:38 PM

It is worse. You pay a dozen of different taxes and fees depending on the location and there are also different restriction upon subsequent resales.

Relax. And go do something of your own.

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 05:39:28 PM

Sit back and relax, you have the answer in your post. NOT tax exempt, but you don't pay VAT  Wink

Pure nonsense. Nobody has any title to any Bitcoin.

Because of these reasons it can not be said that anyone holds any title in either law or equity to any Bitcoin. Since there is no first owner of the Bitcoin that could then pass title as part of a contract, all purported Bitcoin "purchases" are contracts for no consideration and as such legally without merit.

The reasons why Bitcoin securities can't be regulated by the SEC.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
2weiX
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 08:28:59 PM

Not at all 2weiX, but digital property like for example a domain name. We've been having allot of talks with our lawyers here in Spain, and the most probable course of action will be to follow laws and regulations regarding personal property that are already in place for the digital realm.

the german SEC (called bafin) has stated that as soon as the BTC is traded for money, it is a financial instrument.
the FinCEN has called Bitcoin a "digital currency".

i do not for a minute subscribe to this "digital property" bull.
2weiX
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 08:31:35 PM

Pure nonsense. Nobody has any title to any Bitcoin.

Because of these reasons it can not be said that anyone holds any title in either law or equity to any Bitcoin. Since there is no first owner of the Bitcoin that could then pass title as part of a contract, all purported Bitcoin "purchases" are contracts for no consideration and as such legally without merit.

The reasons why Bitcoin securities can't be regulated by the SEC.

irrelevant since the SEC can control many/most (the biggest and most important) veins INTO and OUTOF the BTC.
sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 09:09:44 AM

You're assuming someone is trying to run a bitcoin bank versus an exchange.
Bank or exchange it doesn't matter. Under the current regulatory framework they are parts of one chain and operate in the same fashion. If you are not able to confiscate the funds on a customer account you are not compliant. Period.
They can confiscate funds, bitcoins or fiat, on a customer account.  Easily.  They can't confiscate funds in the customer's private wallet.  Neither can banks.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
becoin
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 02:32:39 PM

They can't confiscate funds in the customer's private wallet. 
This is exactly what I'm saying. If you offer your customers services that help them transact from one private wallet to another without being capable of confiscating their funds if you're ordered to, then you don't comply with current regulation. You'll be tagged money launderer.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: