Bitcoin Forum
November 17, 2017, 11:26:01 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bryan Micon's Butterfly Labs Scammer Investigation including Josh Zerlan  (Read 99243 times)
MooC Tals

Activity: 658

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 02:44:12 AM

1)  seriously?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSu5Yyc1bEM

The ONLY thing it seems BFL spends $ on is advertising

2)  2 dudes just rolled into BFL offices yesterday:  http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1c3hyc/toured_butterflylabs_a_few_hours_ago/?sort=confidence 

they found the "Luke Unit" and that's about it.

Seems like that pre-order monies are paying a staff of ~ 10 to do not much all day, then Skype the lead French Dev. who works at the bank for his day job.

I don't think you could script any of this better.

I wanted to make this a memorex moment.
A blockchain platform for effective freelancing
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jmmichael93

Activity: 45

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 07:10:16 AM

I was sitting around thinking to myself tonight about BFL, and how I can't believe how long since announcement and opening of pre-orders it's been and still there's no product.  I chuckled to myself when I thought of the irony of if the company survived long enough to finally deliver sometime in 2140 shortly after the last bitcoin had been mined.  This next led me to thinking about people leaving BFL pre-orders to their family members in their wills, I mean, how funny, I leave, to my second son John, my June 2012 BFL pre-order #1024.  My rambling is really to say, I think everyone is missing a real opportunity here, BFL pre-orders themselves could become a pretty valuable commodity.  Anyone want to start up a BFL pre-order exchange?

BEWARE:  NOTROLL.IN POOL MAY STEAL YOUR GENERATED LTC
Original thread starts here:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=92716.msg1782471#msg1782471
Theft discussion thread is here:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=172667.0
Kelticfox

Activity: 535

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 11:20:46 AM

What is an adjustment fee?

I suspect we don't get them in the UK due to the Distant Sellers Act.

It was a UK order.

Then that's illegal under UK law.

Quote from: Consumer Protection Act (Distance Selling Act) - Part 14
Recovery of sums paid by or on behalf of the consumer on cancellation, and return of security

14.—(1) On the cancellation of a contract under regulation 10, the supplier shall reimburse any sum paid by or on behalf of the consumer under or in relation to the contract to the person by whom it was made free of any charge, less any charge made in accordance with paragraph (5).

(2) The reference in paragraph (1) to any sum paid on behalf of the consumer includes any sum paid by a creditor who is not the same person as the supplier under a personal credit agreement with the consumer.

(3) The supplier shall make the reimbursement referred to in paragraph (1) as soon as possible and in any case within a period not exceeding 30 days beginning with the day on which the notice of cancellation was given.

(4) Where any security has been provided in relation to the contract, the security (so far as it is so provided) shall, on cancellation under regulation 10, be treated as never having had effect and any property lodged with the supplier solely for the purposes of the security as so provided shall be returned by him forthwith.

(5) Subject to paragraphs (6) and (7), the supplier may make a charge, not exceeding the direct costs of recovering any goods supplied under the contract, where a term of the contract provides that the consumer must return any goods supplied if he cancels the contract under regulation 10 but the consumer does not comply with this provision or returns the goods at the expense of the supplier.

(6) Paragraph (5) shall not apply where—

(a)the consumer cancels in circumstances where he has the right to reject the goods under a term of the contract, including a term implied by virtue of any enactment, or
(b)the term requiring the consumer to return any goods supplied if he cancels the contract is an “unfair term” within the meaning of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999(1).

(7) Paragraph (5) shall not apply to the cost of recovering any goods which were supplied as substitutes for the goods ordered by the consumer.

(8 ) For the purposes of these Regulations, a personal credit agreement is an agreement between the consumer and any other person (“the creditor”) by which the creditor provides the consumer with credit of any amount.

Also try this (Office Fair Trading issued) PDF on "A guide for businesses on distance selling" (Page 27 has this...)

You are not allowed to make any further charges, such as a restocking charge or an administration charge.

Veni, Vidi, Cidere, Prenda In Gen, Interlitum Verlgo Stipes, Dissiptum.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1358

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 05:52:54 PM

IB4SE

Luke-unit = BitFORCE

vs
Kano                Luke
John Self

Activity: 98

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 10:01:32 AM

I'm starting to feel sorry for Josh because if he doesn't deliver a working product he will have pissed off hundreds or thousands of bitcoin miners. One of the problems with bitcoin I've read about is the ease with which bitcoins can be used to set assassination bounties. Even if Josh is one day living in a penthouse in Cuba sipping mojitos beside a Latin American supermodel, if he has ran off with the order money he is likely to end up killed with a 'fuck you' letter jammed up his ass.

14GXJ3Q16PJNNF6v4iyxhvuhacuhvckMym
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 11:43:14 AM

I'm starting to feel sorry for Josh because if he doesn't deliver a working product he will have pissed off hundreds or thousands of bitcoin miners. One of the problems with bitcoin I've read about is the ease with which bitcoins can be used to set assassination bounties. Even if Josh is one day living in a penthouse in Cuba sipping mojitos beside a Latin American supermodel, if he has ran off with the order money he is likely to end up killed with a 'fuck you' letter jammed up his ass.

This hasn't happened yet, and ftr it sounds a lot like this wet dream.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
John Self

Activity: 98

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 12:09:21 PM

This hasn't happened yet, and ftr it sounds a lot like this wet dream.

I remember reading about assassination markets on the bitcoin wiki, but perhaps it has been deleted.

Disclosure: I have not ordered from BFL.

14GXJ3Q16PJNNF6v4iyxhvuhacuhvckMym
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 03:20:04 PM

So far, not a single scammer, even people who have ripped off thousands of people and then laughed in their faces, has suffered any repercussions whatsoever for their crimes.  It appears to be as zero-risk as crime gets.  No wonder there are so many scammers, when BTC users are pussies who let people rip them off left and right with no response other than whining and crying.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 04:51:51 PM

So far, not a single scammer, even people who have ripped off thousands of people and then laughed in their faces, has suffered any repercussions whatsoever for their crimes.  It appears to be as zero-risk as crime gets.  No wonder there are so many scammers, when BTC users are pussies who let people rip them off left and right with no response other than whining and crying.

The problem is not really the aftermarket. The problem is the pre-market. Check out this article re GPG contracts.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
MooC Tals

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 05:16:40 PM

The problem is not really the aftermarket. The problem is the pre-market. Check out this article re GPG contracts.

wow that was racist borring and full of shit
gbx

Activity: 226

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 12:46:56 AM

Well, they've played their cards fairly well.  I doubt the project to create an asic miner started out as a scam.  I suspect that someone with more business sense than technical expertise decided to make some pretty wild claims and they're having trouble somewhere in the process of meeting those claims.

I've seen this quite a bit in my consulting days...  "You told them we could do what??"  And somehow you have to pull a rabbit out of the hat...  Well, the rabbit is very late.  I'd be surprised if they're ready for THIS year's christmas.

My guess is that they'll wait for the next bubble, cash in their wallets, refund most of the customers (and refund the bitcoin paying customers at the height of the bubble/least favorable conversion rate for their customers), and close up shop.

But my guess is they want to keep the wheels on the bus and keep it moving down the road.  But they either can't meet technical or price per unit commitments or both.
MooC Tals

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 12:55:48 AM

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2072

LEALANA Monero Physical Silver Coins

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:18:41 AM

I actually hope Micon wins his bet.

BFL time and time again has lied, led customers on, can't deliver, etc.

BFL needs to go down. Businesses of this type of immaturity should be out of business. Only thing keeping them in business is preorder customer funds. Once that dries up, ponzi is over.

AND IT'S GONE... Roll Eyes

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.        SMOOTHIE'S HEALTH AND FITNESS JOURNAL          History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA  PHYSICAL MONERO COINS 999 FINE SILVER.

yolo2222

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 01:30:02 PM

I actually hope Micon wins his bet.

BFL time and time again has lied, led customers on, can't deliver, etc.

BFL needs to go down. Businesses of this type of immaturity should be out of business. Only thing keeping them in business is preorder customer funds. Once that dries up, ponzi is over.

AND IT'S GONE... Roll Eyes

<--- This!!! LOL

TCollar

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 01:37:08 PM

What the BFL labs youtube video reminded me of (the one where everyone waved while annoying music played) was what I saw in NYC during the dotcom boom while I was going to interviews.

I went to one place, and I think it was called StockBack, but I am not totally sure, and they had people assembling computers there, a large and friendly staff and the guy interviewing me said "I hope you like stress because we are really busy".  The thing that struck me as odd was that they were assembling desktop computers.  This was 1999 and in those days you could save about $100 to $200 by building your own computer but to me it seemed like they were wasting time and some money paying people to do it.  I figured they could be up and running but they had a bunch of computers to make instead and it did not make sense.

I did not take the job but it turned out that the owners blew through all their venture capital and fled.  Employees then looted the place when they realized it was going to be put into receivership and they wouldn't get paid.

I know BFL is supposed to assemble hardware, but no one should be fooled by an office full of busy people on a youtube video.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1358

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 05:30:20 PM

...but no one should be fooled by an office full of busy people on a youtube video.

Is it possible that the assemblers were fooled into thinking prior to hiring on that they would be cooking something with jalapeños? At least they're only a few feet away from where the books are cooked, with a watchful eye from the CS team on the other side of the window.

CNY meet CdM

Micon
Legendary

Activity: 1232

FPV Drone Pilot

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 08:08:15 PM

so here is the supposed "Luke Unit" hashing on Josh's pool (lol ppl really connect to his pool? ppl should not trust Josh Zerlan with hashing power IMO)

http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/userstats.php/1CdcYVP4T4hjHwt353pEnGHrigeDLvuvZL

Does anyone believe this is the luke Unit?  that it's really been hashing that fast for that long?   

I would love to hear opinions.

is it just eating power like a boss?

so hot you can fry an egg on it?

special pcb or not even mounted on a board, i.e. no real way to take it from lab --> consumer product?

I'm flying FPV race drones these days. Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MiconFPV
Micon
Legendary

Activity: 1232

FPV Drone Pilot

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 06:11:10 AM

anyone else sickened when BFL spends customer funds on even more ads on this forum?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=172934.0

I'm flying FPV race drones these days. Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MiconFPV
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:18:26 PM

anyone else sickened when BFL spends customer funds on even more ads on this forum?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=172934.0

The whole situation is sickening. BFL's misleading ads were still working to draw in newbs in Feb. This thing won't stop until it implodes and it won't implode until people wise up...could be awhile.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2072

LEALANA Monero Physical Silver Coins

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 09:41:30 PM

What the BFL labs youtube video reminded me of (the one where everyone waved while annoying music played) was what I saw in NYC during the dotcom boom while I was going to interviews.

I went to one place, and I think it was called StockBack, but I am not totally sure, and they had people assembling computers there, a large and friendly staff and the guy interviewing me said "I hope you like stress because we are really busy".  The thing that struck me as odd was that they were assembling desktop computers.  This was 1999 and in those days you could save about $100 to $200 by building your own computer but to me it seemed like they were wasting time and some money paying people to do it.  I figured they could be up and running but they had a bunch of computers to make instead and it did not make sense.

I did not take the job but it turned out that the owners blew through all their venture capital and fled.  Employees then looted the place when they realized it was going to be put into receivership and they wouldn't get paid.

I know BFL is supposed to assemble hardware, but no one should be fooled by an office full of busy people on a youtube video.

This. All I keep seeing and hearing about is Dog And Pony shows going on. That video is exactly that.

"Look at how busy we are. See we have an office, we have assemblers, shiny equipment, nice flashy signs etc. see this means we are legit and make ASIC devices"

Lol rofl haha!

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.        SMOOTHIE'S HEALTH AND FITNESS JOURNAL          History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA  PHYSICAL MONERO COINS 999 FINE SILVER.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.