Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:46:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 [251] 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 ... 345 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XEL] Elastic Project - The Decentralized Supercomputer  (Read 450433 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
tomkat

Activity: 1022
Merit: 507

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 06:56:29 AM

Is queuing the right way to go at all?

I don't really see any way around it, but maybe some other bright minds around here can come up with a solution.

But the bottom line is we can easily have complex jobs that take considerable time to solve, and each submission would need to be validated.  For example, if I create a job that takes 0.1 sec to solve, and I dump 1000 submissions onto a SN, that node would be tied up for 2 minutes before it could do anything else.  And this will take place while people are dumping hundreds if not thousands of legitimate POW submissions on the SN.

I still don't know of a good solution...I still wish we didn't have POW in xel and just focused on bounties.  I know you'll say we need the POW logic ;-)  I'm just not convinced, and I feel like it just complicates the validation / targetting / volume issues.

Are users allowed to dump submissions to nodes of their choice? With many SNs in the network all those submissions could be handled by (probably) tens of SNs simultaneously right?
Assuming the jobs are being spread evenly between all SNs, is it really a problem at all?
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bgjjj2016

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Ben2016

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 10:24:02 AM

Hi everyone, how high the block height is supposed to go on Elastic Explorer ?

My " I want that Old Toyota Camry very bad" BTC Fund :1DQU4oqmZRcKSzg7MjPLMuHrMwnbDdjQRM
Join the Elastic revolution! Elastic Network: The Decentralized Supercomputer 
ELASTIC WEBSITE|ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD|JOIN THE SLACK
onemanatatime

Activity: 294
Merit: 101

Aluna.Social

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2017, 10:26:29 AM

When do these tokens finally launch? and any plans on which exchange ?

This time it's different.
coralreefer

Activity: 464
Merit: 260

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 11:57:57 AM

I don't really see any way around it, but maybe some other bright minds around here can come up with a solution.

But the bottom line is we can easily have complex jobs that take considerable time to solve, and each submission would need to be validated.  For example, if I create a job that takes 0.1 sec to solve, and I dump 1000 submissions onto a SN, that node would be tied up for 2 minutes before it could do anything else.  And this will take place while people are dumping hundreds if not thousands of legitimate POW submissions on the SN.

I still don't know of a good solution...I still wish we didn't have POW in xel and just focused on bounties.  I know you'll say we need the POW logic ;-)  I'm just not convinced, and I feel like it just complicates the validation / targetting / volume issues.

Are users allowed to dump submissions to nodes of their choice? With many SNs in the network all those submissions could be handled by (probably) tens of SNs simultaneously right?
Assuming the jobs are being spread evenly between all SNs, is it really a problem at all?

Yes, I can target all my submission to a specific SN.  I'm not suggesting anyone do this, but it has to be accounted for that someone could do it.
ttookk

Activity: 994
Merit: 513

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 11:59:23 AM

I think jobs must be checked by at least a portion of SNs, otherwise a SN could send bad jobs, be it by accident or with malicios intent. So, to check a SNs integrity, other SNs have to check what a SN does. Whether all SNs have to check all jobs, I don't know.
coralreefer

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 12:13:58 PM

But the bottom line is we can easily have complex jobs that take considerable time to solve, and each submission would need to be validated.  For example, if I create a job that takes 0.1 sec to solve, and I dump 1000 submissions onto a SN, that node would be tied up for 2 minutes before it could do anything else.  And this will take place while people are dumping hundreds if not thousands of legitimate POW submissions on the SN.

I still don't know of a good solution...I still wish we didn't have POW in xel and just focused on bounties.  I know you'll say we need the POW logic ;-)  I'm just not convinced, and I feel like it just complicates the validation / targetting / volume issues.

I think jobs must be checked by at least a portion of SNs, otherwise a SN could send bad jobs, be it by accident or with malicios intent. So, to check a SNs integrity, other SNs have to check what a SN does. Whether all SNs have to check all jobs, I don't know.

That is not correct, the current design does not require multiple SNs to validate a job..
ImI
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 12:34:08 PM

SN are checked through guard-nodes afaik.
logictense

Activity: 2146
Merit: 518

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2017, 12:34:44 PM

Is there any practical use for this? I mean are there any parties that would be interested in posting jobs that need solving to xel network? Is the a chance that there exists somebody - hypothetical person - that has nothing to do other than submitting dumb jobs while they can simply put an entire elastic thread on ignore and dont bother about it.

bspus
Legendary

Activity: 2165
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 02:31:24 PM

Judging by the messages posted here between the devs and the problems they are facing, I'd say we are still months away

jeffthebaker
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 02:56:29 PM

Judging by the messages posted here between the devs and the problems they are facing, I'd say we are still months away

Honestly, not a huge issue. The more time spent making this project perfect, the more it'll be used and the more people will value it. I think a lot of people in the crypto world have very high hopes for what Elastic is going to be when it comes to fruition. Really excited to see what's to come.
Evil-Knievel
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1168

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 04:43:44 PM
Last edit: April 12, 2017, 05:11:33 PM by Evil-Knievel

Just thinking out loud: do we really need the bounty announcements in the new SN scheme?

It depends on how well the SN can handle a huge volume of submissions...but I believe it will have to do this either way.

Yesterday, I submitted a job that had an issue which allowed every pass of the interpreter to find a "Bounty", so the miner tried to send hundreds of submissions pretty quickly....this is something anyone could do (i.e. create a simple job that allows legitimate bounty submissions to spam the SN).

So I thought your original design had a small fee on each of these submissions, along with the announcement in order to deter this kind of behaviour.  But if you have another approach that simplifies things, I'd be all for it.

Well, first of all a job has a natural bounty limit ... submissions beyond this level are not permitted. But of course, there is a grace period between the submissions and their actual inclusion in the blockchain (or its unconfirmed transaction cache). In this time window it is possible to flood as much as you can. We could add a "SN rate limit" which would allow not more than x transactions per node per second.

What sucks more is the lack of direct feedback from the SN. Since we queue at the moment, the miner does not even know if his submission was dropped, accepted or denied. We really have to think this through! Is queuing the right way to go at all?

Btw: I could reproduce your bug today. I just could not yet find out why it happens.

Fixed that bug. We will have to make sure that hashes and multiplicators are at most 32 bytes long ... not 33 like it could happen before.

Fix is here: https://github.com/OrdinaryDude/elastic-core/commit/b95596e572af659cb7355a68643a58098579109f
Extra checks in API are here: https://github.com/OrdinaryDude/elastic-core/commit/4870aa5c22786e27fbfdc37665a45e82f99410c9

Do not use that yet!
coralreefer

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 07:12:47 PM

Just thinking out loud: do we really need the bounty announcements in the new SN scheme?

It depends on how well the SN can handle a huge volume of submissions...but I believe it will have to do this either way.

Yesterday, I submitted a job that had an issue which allowed every pass of the interpreter to find a "Bounty", so the miner tried to send hundreds of submissions pretty quickly....this is something anyone could do (i.e. create a simple job that allows legitimate bounty submissions to spam the SN).

So I thought your original design had a small fee on each of these submissions, along with the announcement in order to deter this kind of behaviour.  But if you have another approach that simplifies things, I'd be all for it.

Well, first of all a job has a natural bounty limit ... submissions beyond this level are not permitted. But of course, there is a grace period between the submissions and their actual inclusion in the blockchain (or its unconfirmed transaction cache). In this time window it is possible to flood as much as you can. We could add a "SN rate limit" which would allow not more than x transactions per node per second.

What sucks more is the lack of direct feedback from the SN. Since we queue at the moment, the miner does not even know if his submission was dropped, accepted or denied. We really have to think this through! Is queuing the right way to go at all?

Btw: I could reproduce your bug today. I just could not yet find out why it happens.

Fixed that bug. We will have to make sure that hashes and multiplicators are at most 32 bytes long ... not 33 like it could happen before.

Fix is here: https://github.com/OrdinaryDude/elastic-core/commit/b95596e572af659cb7355a68643a58098579109f
Extra checks in API are here: https://github.com/OrdinaryDude/elastic-core/commit/4870aa5c22786e27fbfdc37665a45e82f99410c9

Do not use that yet!

Hi EK, can you please confirm if this was due to something the miner sent or is it an issue in only the core server?  I checked the miner code and I don't see how it could send more than 32 bytes.
Evil-Knievel
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1168

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 08:11:48 PM

Hi EK, can you please confirm if this was due to something the miner sent or is it an issue in only the core server?  I checked the miner code and I don't see how it could send more than 32 bytes.

Took me a few days to find out, but the bug was the following:

The core server only allows a hash of max. 32 byte length in the BountyAnnouncement transaction. When something longer than that was tried to be added, the hash was simply set to null:

Code:
PiggybackedProofOfBountyAnnouncement(final ByteBuffer buffer, final byte transactionVersion)
throws NxtException.NotValidException {
super(buffer, transactionVersion);
this.workId = buffer.getLong();
final short hashSize = buffer.getShort();

if ((hashSize > 0) && (hashSize <= Constants.MAX_HASH_ANNOUNCEMENT_SIZE_BYTES)) {
this.hashAnnounced = new byte[hashSize];
buffer.get(this.hashAnnounced, 0, hashSize);
} else {
this.hashAnnounced = null;
}

}

When signing such transaction, which came in from via HTTP, everything appearently went fine ... the core server just signed the BountyAnnouncement with empty hash and submitted it. The verification worked fine as well because Attachments have no verification themselves.

The problem happened in the rebroadcast. Imagine someone originally attached 33 bytes (instead of 32) in the hash, then the hash would be nulled - hash has length zero. But the original transaction is still broadcast in its original form causing 33 extra "unexpected bytes" to be over after parsing the TX. This is what the error that you posted earlier stated.

I fixed it and learned ... variable length input sucks a lot. Tried to port many features to fixed length inputs (as you can see from my commits today).

However, 33 bytes must have come from somewhere, i.e., the miner. I suspect an extra byte for a minus sign maybe?

coralreefer

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 09:05:12 PM

Hi EK, can you please confirm if this was due to something the miner sent or is it an issue in only the core server?  I checked the miner code and I don't see how it could send more than 32 bytes.

Took me a few days to find out, but the bug was the following:

The core server only allows a hash of max. 32 byte length in the BountyAnnouncement transaction. When something longer than that was tried to be added, the hash was simply set to null:

Code:
PiggybackedProofOfBountyAnnouncement(final ByteBuffer buffer, final byte transactionVersion)
throws NxtException.NotValidException {
super(buffer, transactionVersion);
this.workId = buffer.getLong();
final short hashSize = buffer.getShort();

if ((hashSize > 0) && (hashSize <= Constants.MAX_HASH_ANNOUNCEMENT_SIZE_BYTES)) {
this.hashAnnounced = new byte[hashSize];
buffer.get(this.hashAnnounced, 0, hashSize);
} else {
this.hashAnnounced = null;
}

}

When signing such transaction, which came in from via HTTP, everything appearently went fine ... the core server just signed the BountyAnnouncement with empty hash and submitted it. The verification worked fine as well because Attachments have no verification themselves.

The problem happened in the rebroadcast. Imagine someone originally attached 33 bytes (instead of 32) in the hash, then the hash would be nulled - hash has length zero. But the original transaction is still broadcast in its original form causing 33 extra "unexpected bytes" to be over after parsing the TX. This is what the error that you posted earlier stated.

I fixed it and learned ... variable length input sucks a lot. Tried to port many features to fixed length inputs (as you can see from my commits today).

However, 33 bytes must have come from somewhere, i.e., the miner. I suspect an extra byte for a minus sign maybe?

Thx for the explanation.  Many months back we had this same issue and it was due to a negative sign in the miner...thought I got rid of that issue.  I'll take a look again and get it fixed.
Ergenekon

Activity: 476
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 02:03:09 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suIHmqXVfTg

Start the game already!!

Bgjjj2016

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Ben2016

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 02:30:09 AM

I see clear communication among our wonderful devs, along with their solid determination and efforts.... All great for good news to arrive soon  Smiley

My " I want that Old Toyota Camry very bad" BTC Fund :1DQU4oqmZRcKSzg7MjPLMuHrMwnbDdjQRM
Join the Elastic revolution! Elastic Network: The Decentralized Supercomputer 
ELASTIC WEBSITE|ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD|JOIN THE SLACK
BTCspace

Activity: 952
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 03:25:21 AM

haha that's funny.

running farm worldwide
BTCspace

Activity: 952
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 03:25:47 AM

maybe we need to rebuild the website?

running farm worldwide
tomkat

Activity: 1022
Merit: 507

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 06:42:42 AM

The website elastic-project.com is aparently dead, and since Lannister is the admi I guess that domain is lost until it can be renewed by someone else.
We'll probably need a new domain, and I'd suggest that you change your signature for something else like https://talk.elasticexplorer.org/ for instance
by rallier
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1334

just in case

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2017, 07:57:42 AM

The website elastic-project.com is aparently dead, and since Lannister is the admi I guess that domain is lost until it can be renewed by someone else.
We'll probably need a new domain, and I'd suggest that you change your signature for something else like https://talk.elasticexplorer.org/ for instance

Pls contribute to https://github.com/elastic-coin/elastic-project.github.io

signature not found.
Pages: « 1 ... 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 [251] 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 ... 345 »
  Print  

Jump to: