Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 01:20:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 [168] 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 ... 352 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain's Released Antminer S9, World's First 16nm Miner Ready to Order  (Read 530817 times)
moe7865

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 12:23:17 PM

Don't know if you guys noticed but any gear bought after Oct 1st now has a standard 180 Day warranty.
This can be found under support where the create repair ticket tab is. Once you go in and create one and read the facts you will see that they have extended the warranty period to this.
It really makes buying these products more worthwhile
Longsnowsm

Activity: 868
Merit: 517

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 12:56:18 PM

Don't know if you guys noticed but any gear bought after Oct 1st now has a standard 180 Day warranty.
This can be found under support where the create repair ticket tab is. Once you go in and create one and read the facts you will see that they have extended the warranty period to this.
It really makes buying these products more worthwhile

Here is what the "Work Order Guide" still states on the site:
A 90-day warranty is provided starting from the shipping date. Repair tickets must be created within that 90-day period, otherwise the warranty will be void.

And also it states:
  For the miner, please do NOT return the whole unit except for S9 bought after Oct. 1st, 2016 (Return the whole unit of S9 bought after Oct. 1st, 2016, just return the defective part (Hash board, IO board or BB board). What's IO board or BB board?

This is found under support, and click on guidance for repair. 
moe7865

Activity: 218

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 01:37:45 PM

I will update this post with proof of what it

http://imgur.com/a/UxHzp

Read point number 1
numnutz2009

Activity: 387
Merit: 254

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 03:39:54 PM

Read point number 1

i for 1 am glad the warranty is 180 days now lol. idk y ne company would think a 90 day warranty is ok. then again they removed the ability to overclock the miner and lower the fan speed down without using an external controller so i guess that made them feel more comfortable with offering a 6 month warranty instead of 3? either way i welcome the 6 months warranty and hope i dont ever have to use it.

i still have my $150 in coupons that im unable to use because another batch hasnt been released and the last batch i was supposed to get an email about the date/time of the release but i got nothing. i only saw the info after they sold out and boy did they sell out fast!
Longsnowsm

Activity: 868
Merit: 517

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 05:19:38 PM

Read point number 1

They need to update the rest of the site then  Grin  The other document I quoted still states 90 days.
VentMine

Activity: 236
Merit: 105

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 05:49:31 PM

Has Bitmain given any hints as to when they will have S9's available?

I honestly hope they pull the plug on sales. Its the only way to keep the diff from going crazy with these prices. It would be nice to have a 6 month window with no new gear at all like when the S5 ended and nobody had anything for quite a while.

Honestly unless your brand new to mining I don't see how you can't have all your S9 miners yet with 22 batches out over the last 7 months.

Nahhhh, the last thing I want is to lose access to upgrading my gear. It would be bad for the community and bitcoin security if access is limited. It would be bad business on Bitmains part.

they will sell hash on hash nest

Fair enough Phil, but some people have cheaper power than Bitmain so this is not ideal. Not to mention, hosting / cloud mining means less control for the individual miner, which is also not ideal.

1ESSdoVYKm8sNtYMfdkFBajhAe2e6G8keH
PeaMine

Activity: 979
Merit: 510

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 08:02:54 PM

When you see an S9 hashboard providing approximately 4TH each it can put the competition in a different perspective. Truly price what you have gotten from your S9 experience against the competition and you may find the 6TH, etc much more cost effective, IE Avalon. Personally, Avalon didn't sit well with me by not accepting BTC as a payment option. This is our business and a company in this field refusing BTC as payment starts to rub the "principle" side the wrong way. However, I have been beaten to hell much less rubbed the wrong way by Bitmain China so many times I can certainly stand to be RUBBED wrong in one way or another from some competition.

They accept bitcoin, my S7s and S9s have such a high failure rate that even with the higher cost per TH, they end up working out to about the same, and from what it seems, the A7 has been quite like the SP20 in stability (all of mine still work after all these years)
S5s were amazing! no failures, S4, just as bad as the S9.

Datacenter Technician and Electrician.  If you have any questions feel free to ask me as I am generally bored looking at logs and happy to help during free time.
captinkid

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 08:58:43 PM
Last edit: December 28, 2016, 10:24:25 PM by captinkid

Hmm, thinking the main firmware on the hash board is fine, but it is the individual chain / chip firmware that's corrupted. Each individual ASIC chip looks like it has its own test ICSP connection. I think they get a copy of the app that is sent to each chip, that runs in its own memory space on its own hardware.

Not sure why they would all fail at the same time, or if it's the chain that failed somehow. Need to do a deeper analysis of the data on these ICSP connectors soon.

It's currently reading the main PIC, and it appears to be just fine. Then it tries to "restore" the 3200 block "app" package to the chains / ASICs, and that's where it fails. Then it goes on to trying to test the ASICs and reads nothing because their operating software is corrupt or badly written.

Chain[J4] has 0 asic
retry Chain[J4] has 0 asic
miner total rate=0GH/s fixed rate=0GH/s

I think that's the sign that the asic app software is corrupted / munged up.

It's another avenue of attack anyway, will post results when I have the time.

Grin

I have a center hash board that is failing in the same exact manner.. log is able to connect to the hashboard reading pic firmware 0x02 but says chain has 0 asic. The board never lights up red and fails to show up in miner status.  This all happened a few days after updating to the new auto-tune firmware as well...

All the components seem fine on the hash board, voltage is not seen past the inductor like on my working hash boards.. I believe the software in the PIC controller has become corrupted or a safety mechanism detects a short circuit in the asic chain and prevents it from powering them up.

I've also ordered a pickit 3 to try to restore the PIC firmware, should know by the end of the week if it works out or not.  Please keep me updated on your situation as well!

Will do! I have a picit 3 I'm planning on ordering as well, I think that's what's needed at this point, as the software Bitmain publicly released isn't sufficient to diagnose or repair software issues.

I initially thought there was a way to access the hash boards through ssh directly from the controller, and while this is possible, the software needed hasn't been and likely won't ever be released by Bitmain. Someone with more programming experience might be able to do it "in situ" without any disassembly or external hardware, but I lack that experience.

The controller which we have root access to, has direct read / write capabilities to the PIC and the hash board chain firmware. The right piece of software could make this an easy process. The included single-board-test software DOES have the exact read / write code needed, but it's locked up in a closed source file.

The newest source code that Bitmain released is not the new autotune version, so no data or files that are relevant to PIC writing as that was introduced later.

(UPDATE)
Looks like someone was trying a similar thing, as single-board-test shows up in online disassembler https://onlinedisassembler.com/odaweb/HP7GAkIN

Looks like it's from a very early version of single-board-test, looks older than anything I have
takagari
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 11:57:03 PM

Is bitmain warranty official warranty? As it sounds to me like they just use the name.

they have a direct relationship with bitmain.

if you are in the usa sending to them for out of warranty gear is a no brainer

buying from them can also be better.

sending a chinese purchased item from bitmain  that is under warranty with bitmain  to bitmainwarranty  is a guess as to if you are better off.

sending 1 board to china is about 100 bucks  you have to declare it at 45 dollars so lost stolen or damaged you are fucked

sending 1 board to colorado is about 18 usd if you are in usa and send it in a medium flat rate box with insurance for 300

repairs will be 150 to 175 + 25 shipping back.   so you are out around 190 -225  sometimes they are fast sometimes they are slow

so china repair  you are out about 115-135 and 3 -4 weeks   with a possible full loss of board

usa repair you are out about 190-225  and 1 to 3 weeks   with board insured for 300.

pick your poison basically.

Okay so effectiely the name "Bitmain Warranty" is BS? they don't honor the warranty?
They are an official repair facility. Which, since they don't honor or extend bitmain issues warranties. Is the same as any other company which can repair the board??
jamesb777

Activity: 49
Merit: 3

View Profile
December 29, 2016, 05:32:59 AM

Hmm, thinking the main firmware on the hash board is fine, but it is the individual chain / chip firmware that's corrupted. Each individual ASIC chip looks like it has its own test ICSP connection. I think they get a copy of the app that is sent to each chip, that runs in its own memory space on its own hardware.

Not sure why they would all fail at the same time, or if it's the chain that failed somehow. Need to do a deeper analysis of the data on these ICSP connectors soon.

It's currently reading the main PIC, and it appears to be just fine. Then it tries to "restore" the 3200 block "app" package to the chains / ASICs, and that's where it fails. Then it goes on to trying to test the ASICs and reads nothing because their operating software is corrupt or badly written.

Chain[J4] has 0 asic

Grin

I have a center hash board that is failing in the same exact manner.. log is able to connect to the hashboard reading pic firmware 0x02 but says chain has 0 asic. The board never lights up red and fails to show up in miner status.  This all happened a few days after updating to the new auto-tune firmware as well...

All the components seem fine on the hash board, voltage is not seen past the inductor like on my working hash boards.. I believe the software in the PIC controller has become corrupted or a safety mechanism detects a short circuit in the asic chain and prevents it from powering them up.

I've also ordered a pickit 3 to try to restore the PIC firmware, should know by the end of the week if it works out or not.  Please keep me updated on your situation as well!

Will do! I have a picit 3 I'm planning on ordering as well, I think that's what's needed at this point, as the software Bitmain publicly released isn't sufficient to diagnose or repair software issues.

I initially thought there was a way to access the hash boards through ssh directly from the controller, and while this is possible, the software needed hasn't been and likely won't ever be released by Bitmain. Someone with more programming experience might be able to do it "in situ" without any disassembly or external hardware, but I lack that experience.

The controller which we have root access to, has direct read / write capabilities to the PIC and the hash board chain firmware. The right piece of software could make this an easy process. The included single-board-test software DOES have the exact read / write code needed, but it's locked up in a closed source file.

The newest source code that Bitmain released is not the new autotune version, so no data or files that are relevant to PIC writing as that was introduced later.

(UPDATE)
Looks like someone was trying a similar thing, as single-board-test shows up in online disassembler https://onlinedisassembler.com/odaweb/HP7GAkIN

Looks like it's from a very early version of single-board-test, looks older than anything I have

So, I got the pickit 3 and it's pretty straight forward to backup and restore the PIC firmware on these cards.  I've copyied the firmware from a working card to the "dead" card and the card still doesn't light up ;(.  The PIC controller seems fine, just not sure why the voltage isn't going through,  I highly suspect there to be a short circuit in one of the asic chains triggering some kind of protection mechanism, no idea which chip however ;(... also, one thing I forgot to mention is I let these run way too hot for a few days... > 130C, let's just say the temperature monitoring on these aren't the most accurate, and I notice thermal adhesive melted onto the asic pins.. the adhesive seems to be non-conductive though and I see the same signs on my two other hash boards, no other damage.  To be continued...
mamiakimo

Activity: 197

View Profile
December 29, 2016, 01:09:59 PM

someone sell antminer S9 12.93 with power supply and cord cable by 1500$ ( Shipping inclusive )
12 months warranty
i asked him if this machine from BM in china he told me there are 2 company ( japan - Taiwan ) have permission from BM to make this machines and he working on Marketing department on the company on Osaka, japan
his facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/BITCOINTOOLSPRO/

is that true ?
captinkid

Activity: 38

View Profile
December 29, 2016, 02:51:14 PM
Last edit: December 29, 2016, 03:46:32 PM by captinkid

Chain[J4] has 0 asic

Grin

(UPDATE)

So, I got the pickit 3 and it's pretty straight forward to backup and restore the PIC firmware on these cards.  I've copyied the firmware from a working card to the "dead" card and the card still doesn't light up ;(.  The PIC controller seems fine, just not sure why the voltage isn't going through,  I highly suspect there to be a short circuit in one of the asic chains triggering some kind of protection mechanism, no idea which chip however ;(... also, one thing I forgot to mention is I let these run way too hot for a few days... > 130C, let's just say the temperature monitoring on these aren't the most accurate, and I notice thermal adhesive melted onto the asic pins.. the adhesive seems to be non-conductive though and I see the same signs on my two other hash boards, no other damage.  To be continued...

There is a second software it writes to the ASIC chains during the single-board-test process, that I believe is the actual hashing app itself. It is this sub software that I believe to be faulty, not the main PIC firmware. And the Bitmain software to correct this very issue doesn't seem to work. It's built in restore process either fails or is insufficient to repair whatever software damage occurred.

The file it tries to write to the hashboard mining chain is the "hash_s8_app.txt" file. However after failing for whatever reason it seems to be unable to flash properly in subsequent attempts. The red light won't blink at all if this software is kaput.

My units haven't been much above 100c, even at their highest. I don't believe in my case that it's a short and from other people that have had the similar post firmware update failure I wouldn't suspect a hardware issue in most cases.

Best idea is that without a functional hashing app, the board just sits idle, it won't draw much power unless it's actually hashing. All of the ASICs are essentially idling without anything to do.

The oldest autotune firmwares (<11/08) kept rerunning the restore process until it succeeded. Which to my mind they knew was a problem. Later firmwares run it a few times, then fail over to start mining with whatever boards passed the test. That would leave failed boards failed, but let the good boards continue running. At least in theory.
bilabonic

Activity: 325
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 29, 2016, 03:13:20 PM

Hi Guys,

when is the next batch available for pre-order and how do i get messaged asap so i don't miss them??

Thanks

BTC - 1Ayax24aAU8c1xwAakK94DVDkm4kbfZ8Ch
takagari
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
December 29, 2016, 04:11:32 PM

Hi Guys,

when is the next batch available for pre-order and how do i get messaged asap so i don't miss them??

Thanks

No way to know,
follow this thread of BM on twitter and wait for an announcement. Be ready as the sale windows are small and usually go in hours seldom more than a day.
AriesIV10
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1006

Mine for a Bit

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2016, 06:02:11 PM

BITMAIN,  When will there be a new S9?

BTC Address (Donations):  3LepZAju88ZRuNVD4cS6Xv5hKyKrjvirkB     Website:  www.MintMining.com
Email: Mining@MintMining.com      Power Supplies: https://bit.ly/2TtvdOR
mamiakimo

Activity: 197

View Profile
December 29, 2016, 06:48:49 PM

bitmain will sell S9 after there stock on hashnest finish
they still have 627 on stock from 2100
tharani

Activity: 308

don't piss me off or else you will see the tigress

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2016, 12:13:49 AM

How can i connect multiple Antminer S9's for example if i have three Antminer S9's how can i connect it to a single laptop with the help of psu do i need three seperate psu's for that please guide me how to connect 3 Antminer's to my system , from a grid - tie inverter.

send me a message if you want your signature to be posted
vancenkansas

Activity: 24

View Profile
December 30, 2016, 12:48:09 AM

How can i connect multiple Antminer S9's for example if i have three Antminer S9's how can i connect it to a single laptop with the help of psu do i need three seperate psu's for that please guide me how to connect 3 Antminer's to my system , from a grid - tie inverter.

I think You will want to connect them to the Router that the computer uses to connect to the net and Yes probably 3, depends on how big the psu is(also 110 or 220(location))
Reynaldo
Legendary

Activity: 1143

View Profile
December 30, 2016, 02:25:22 AM

when is next batch coming? anybody has any idea on where are the re-stock coming>?
tharani

Activity: 308

don't piss me off or else you will see the tigress

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2016, 02:52:14 AM

I think You will want to connect them to the Router that the computer uses to connect to the net and Yes probably 3, depends on how big the psu is(also 110 or 220(location))

Ok i will ask for your guidance , when i get them , that would be the best way also i can see some manuals for Antminer S9 .

send me a message if you want your signature to be posted
Pages: « 1 ... 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 [168] 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 ... 352 »
  Print  

Jump to: