Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:19:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie restrictions (Please discuss forum policy here.)  (Read 38169 times)
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:05:20 AM

Look : if I am mining with pool xyz and there is a technical issue I want to raise to the pool operator, or if I found a bug in the bitcoin client and I want to report it, or if I am wanting to do business in the market forum, how am I going to do that now?
Unless you prove to us that you know the basics, you'd just be wasting those people's time. Don't worry, we can help you here.

Ah, its possible to prove knowing the basics!

So what you want to hear?

I am totaly fine with Slush scoring-system cause it prevent me setting up a poolswitching tool - i cant let anyone cheat on me.

I localised my wallet and made my first backup.
I tried phoenix and must say, phatk bring me 219 MHash/s on my 5770 but 4K more temp, using poclbm i get 211. Each @1000 MHZ.

What want you hear? Smiley

Good enough for me. I'll pass it along in my next whitelist update.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:08:43 AM

Thanks to some code provided by Disposition, there is now a mix of post count and "time online" requirements. You must have spent 8 hours online and posted 5 posts. This should be easier to do.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:09:11 AM

From the amount of complete horseshit posts I've seen from guys with under 50 recently, I don't have a problem with this.
Mike 71

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:09:36 AM

Thank you!

I wasnt really hoping it, but it was worth a try (for getting a posting on my Counter, too) Smiley

Have a nice day!
Mike
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:10:50 AM

Thanks to some code provided by Disposition, there is now a mix of post count and "time online" requirements. You must have spent 8 hours online and posted 5 posts. This should be easier to do.
I seem to have met both of those requirements but I still cannot post outside this board.  Would it be possible for me to be whitelisted?

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
bitcoinewbie

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:11:16 AM

We're not censoring you. Everybody can still see your posts; they're just easier to avoid.

Unfortunately 'We' should be 'I' there since as soon as this newbie setup started posts were being removed like crazy and i took 30 minutes to write up what i thought was good reason to not be removing posts and my message was quickly deleted and my account closed(I have many accounts because i don't like to be judged on all my past posts as a precedent to reading my new posts). I thought the forum had been hacked it was so ridiculous. and i still FIRMLY stand by my view that no post should be deleted.
Maxxx

Activity: 70
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:11:39 AM

This was a good move, there were too many "world is ending" posts..

It doesn't change the fact that the actions are, to put not too fine a point on it, collective punishment over the actions of a few unruly individuals.

Biafra, it doesn't look like you were posting anyway, why the fit? Wink j/k, it is simple to reach the 50 post mark with constructive posts. You should not have an issue when participating in the community in a non-childish manner.

Time is money. This means that if you have spare time, you can use it to make money.

Modular, open, and stack-able miner case.
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:13:39 AM

We're not censoring you. Everybody can still see your posts; they're just easier to avoid.

Unfortunately 'We' should be 'I' there since as soon as this newbie setup started posts were being removed like crazy and i took 30 minutes to write up what i thought was good reason to not be removing posts and my message was quickly deleted and my account closed(I have many accounts because i don't like to be judged on all my past posts as a precedent to reading my new posts). I thought the forum had been hacked it was so ridiculous. and i still FIRMLY stand by my view that no post should be deleted.
That's pretty bad. I know that Atlas and me won't do that.

Ruxum

Activity: 39

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:14:35 AM

Suggestion:

What about creating sub forums in the newbie section

A newbie mining sub-forum would catch all the "what PSU do i buy" posts

A newbie> merchant forum to help new merchants

etc.

theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:15:06 AM

I seem to have met both of those requirements but I still cannot post outside this board.  Would it be possible for me to be whitelisted?

You've only spent 6 hours online.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
vikarti

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:15:56 AM

+1
and it's not a problem even if someone don't want to use mtgox,etc - just mine several hours
swusc2

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

Do your part for Bitcoin!

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:16:12 AM

Speculators- those simply buying Bitcoin to sit on them and do currency exchange, require little support or arbitration. Bitcoin merchants and consumers, those who actually give Bitcoin tangible value do require support and arbitration which under the new rules they are unlikely to receive from experienced users- as those same users will have "Newbie" posts effectively filtered from their online experience. Newbies, for the most part cannot answer Newbie questions- and they are the only ones likely to read them under the current system. Even the moderators of the Newbie section, have on average just four months of experience with Bitcoin.

The Newbie system allows users to be whitelisted if they either "Post Useful Posts" OR "Know the Fundamentals" and that can be accomplished by reading "Beginners Guide".

The "Newbie" forum just raised barriers to entry substantially for exactly the kind of non-technical, Average-Joe adopters we want to attract. Certainly I am seriously reevaluating my decision to accept Bitcoin at my facility now that I know my customers are unlikely to receive credible support in their move to the currency.

Average Joes still can read topics they aren't allowed to post in. If they have a question it can be usually answered by other Newbies and the Beginners Guide sticky. If it can't it's most likely either a good post or moderation/old timers can help if all else fails.

By insisting on a 50 post minimum, you create an incentive for members to write posts with no substantive content- and so increase the signal to noise ratio in the forum to the point where it is near useless to newbies, and extremely unattractive to experienced posters. Threads scroll off the page as soon as they are made- because there is no incentive to search for answers already given- and every incentive to post the question again, even if it won't be answered.

The increase moderation counters this to some degree. As long as the moderation team keeps up with troll posting and one word answers it should not be an issue.

Impress your friends! Buy a bitcoin keychain!
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=30799.0
soades

Activity: 57

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:16:30 AM

Dear Jessy Kang,

Your post contains too much sound logic and reasonable ideas for TPTB to regard one as yourself as a Newbie. Therefore after considerable consideration, it is in the forums best interest that you be whitewashed into full member status will all privileges granted hitherto. For this promotion, you will not discus further the situation of the NOOb member but instead fully support the relegation of NOObs to perpetual grotto (space set aside), wherewithal they will remain in collusion with themselves, unable to provide question or answer in the many Bitcoin forums, to be scrutinized by close moderation for possible terrorist proclivities against the precious forum.

Best regards,
The Moderators       
aop

Activity: 34

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:18:05 AM

I thought the main idea of Bitcoin was liberty from regulation. I think the forums should reflect that. Most of us are mature enough to ignore pure trolls and make distinction between troll and honest poster.

I followed Finlands largest ponzi scheme ($100M) fall apart a bit over three years ago and this current "bubble" and crash have similar characteristics to that. First people were like this is going to turn the world economy around and produce infinite amount of profits to those who took part in it. When the crash began they went in complete denial which seems to be happening to some people on these forums too.

I'm not saying Bitcoin is a ponzi scheme, I really like the ideological reasoning behind it, but the $30 bubble was a ponzi scheme. The price was kept up and profits were paid only by money brought in by new comers and true believers. Some people (like myself) cashed in and the bubble began to burst.

Bitcoin should be valued based on how usable it is, how much stuff you can buy it with now, not by speculation of how much profit in USD you can earn by investing in Bitcoin. Value should increase only when more Bitcoin accepting stores and services are founded and when more people start to trade goods for Bitcoins.
swusc2

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:18:21 AM

Dear Jessy Kang,

Your post contains too much sound logic and reasonable ideas for TPTB to regard one as yourself as a Newbie. Therefore after considerable consideration, it is in the forums best interest that you be whitewashed into full member status will all privileges granted hitherto. For this promotion, you will not discus further the situation of the NOOb member but instead fully support the relegation of NOObs to perpetual grotto (space set aside), wherewithal they will remain in collusion with themselves, unable to provide question or answer in the many Bitcoin forums, to be scrutinized by close moderation for possible terrorist proclivities against the precious forum.

Best regards,
The Moderators       

Actually what happened is she took the time to spur potentially constructive discussion. Her post was a well thought out non-two line post unlike yours.

swusc2

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:20:55 AM

I thought the main idea of Bitcoin was liberty from regulation. I think the forums should reflect that. Most of us are mature enough to ignore pure trolls and make distinction between troll and honest poster.

I followed Finlands largest ponzi scheme ($100M) fall apart a bit over three years ago and this current "bubble" and crash have similar characteristics to that. First people were like this is going to turn the world economy around and produce infinite amount of profits to those who took part in it. When the crash began they went in complete denial which seems to be happening to some people on these forums too.

I'm not saying Bitcoin is a ponzi scheme, I really like the ideological reasoning behind it, but the $30 bubble was a ponzi scheme. The price was kept up and profits were paid only by money brought in by new comers and true believers. Some people (like myself) cashed in and the bubble began to burst.

Bitcoin should be valued based on how usable it is, how much stuff you can buy it with now, not by speculation of how much profit in USD you can earn by investing in Bitcoin. Value should increase only when more Bitcoin accepting stores and services are founded and when more people start to trade goods for Bitcoins.

You have to understand that Bitcoin has to operate in the current system. You have to use banks to transfer money in to give Bitcoin value for the time being. You can't just jump from nothing to idealism in a day.

bitcredit

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:21:38 AM

With the amount of spamming and trolling I've been seeing, I think people should only be able to post outside of the newbies section if they have a post count of over 9000.
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:22:46 AM

Dear Jessy Kang,

Best regards,
The Moderators       

Actually what happened is she took the time to spur potentially constructive discussion. Her post was a well thought out non-two line post unlike yours.
And that is the reason I whitelisted her.

TheGer

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:22:54 AM

Fantastic.  They made a forum for people to spam in just to get enough posts so they can spam in the rest of the forums.  Pure genius ....
itsagas

Activity: 59

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 08:25:43 AM

After you get 3 more posts to make your 50 of course!    Wink
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  

Jump to: