Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:00:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie restrictions (Please discuss forum policy here.)  (Read 38169 times)
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 11:11:07 AM

I believe the mods of have changed the requirements now so this thread may be irrelavent. Of course you can always change your thread to reflect this! Cheesy

Edit by Maged:
The requirement is no longer 50 posts:

Thanks to some code provided by Disposition, there is now a mix of post count and "time online" requirements. You must have spent 8 hours online and posted 5 posts. This should be easier to do.

Thanks.
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
swusc2

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

Do your part for Bitcoin!

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 11:13:11 AM

It is private in property so the owners can do what they want with it as they deem fit and best for the website. Even if it is to make a newbie forum to limit trolling.

Also what happened in the past few days was. Numerous trolls from a lot of websites with it was somethingawful, 4chan, came here for the sole purpose of pissing everyone off and hurting the development of Bitcoin. This was not conducive to Bitcoin, business types were leaving because the forums were full of flame wars, and threads with absolutely no purpose except to see the community burn.

Just to be clear I have nothing against anyone here. I do agree to some extent. The solution to the trolls was not the perfect solution, there is no such solution. There are people who were unintentionally but also unavoidably effected negatively. But a solution had to be implement and I believe it is as elegant as possible. Time was also a factor when considering economics. We don't have all the time in the world to find the best solution to something if the problem is going to topple the whole system.

If Bitcoin died none of you would be having this discussion anyways.

Impress your friends! Buy a bitcoin keychain!
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=30799.0
BrewProof

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 11:15:25 AM

Agreed.  +1.  consider this my SNR increase
RobzInadE

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 11:20:52 AM

Sooo.... BTC prices going waay down, and restrictions to forums? Now thats 2 things that ruined my morning... Sad
Light

Circa 2010

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 11:21:42 AM

It is private in property so the owners can do what they want with it as they deem fit and best for the website. Even if it is to make a newbie forum to limit trolling.

Also what happened in the past few days was. Numerous trolls from a lot of websites with it was somethingawful, 4chan, came here for the sole purpose of pissing everyone off and hurting the development of Bitcoin. This was not conducive to Bitcoin, business types were leaving because the forums were full of flame wars, and threads with absolutely no purpose except to see the community burn.

Well, I stand corrected with my understanding of the syntax and grammatical logic behind your post Wink
Regardless, as I stated earlier, there is no actual good reason to make this forum a private one. By all means they can and it's up to them, however it would be quite detrimental to Bitcoin. However, keep in mind by making a newbie forum you're effectively singling out people who are generally new to Bitcoin. If every single shop in the world started being racist (I couldn't think of a nicer word, so I hope this doesn't start one of those "Ugh racist" threads) and you were singled out, I doubt you would be very happy at all. Especially when you've come to do some legitimate business and buy people's products. While it doesn't have the same obligations to sell products, this forum is pretty much the figurehead of Bitcoin, so what it does can have an impact on people's perception of Bitcoin.

Thanks.
kajoman

Activity: 29

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 11:24:13 AM

Hands down, Jessy Kang seems to be one of the few realists actually seeing the problems with the decision. You want it to grow? How about not neglecting the ones who are actually active in Bitcoin RIGHT NOW? Negative eWOM (electronic word of mouth) can be very harmful...

I just have to ask, swusc2, has ANYONE ever found your posts helpful and thus donated? Sincerely wondering.
swusc2

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 11:25:05 AM

Well, I stand corrected with my understanding of the syntax and grammatical logic behind your post Wink
Regardless, as I stated earlier, there is no actual good reason to make this forum a private one. By all means they can and it's up to them, however it would be quite detrimental to Bitcoin. However, keep in mind by making a newbie forum you're effectively singling out people who are generally new to Bitcoin. If every single shop in the world started being racist (I couldn't think of a nicer word, so I hope this doesn't start one of those "Ugh racist" threads) and you were singled out, I doubt you would be very happy at all. Especially when you've come to do some legitimate business and buy people's products. While it doesn't have the same obligations to sell products, this forum is pretty much the figurehead of Bitcoin, so what it does can have an impact on people's perception of Bitcoin.

Thanks.

Your right with the definition. And I also somewhat agree with your analogy. The question is now is if you would rather have a place where you can express a limited opinion or no place at all.

swusc2

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 11:26:42 AM

Hands down, Jessy Kang seems to be one of the few realists actually seeing the problems with the decision. You want it to grow? How about not neglecting the ones who are actually active in Bitcoin RIGHT NOW? Negative eWOM (electronic word of mouth) can be very harmful...

I just have to ask, swusc2, has ANYONE ever found your posts helpful and thus donated? Sincerely wondering.

Yes, since I do thing to help people like solve technical problems and direct people to information which is more than I can say for you. Thank you for your insinuations.

Now also if you decided to read posts that don't only expressively illustrate only your point of view you would see some merit in my arguments. But then again I guess I'm just being marginalized because you don't care. Hey! that seems like something we have been talking about.

newmont

Activity: 24

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 11:29:31 AM

+1
BrewProof

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 11:29:56 AM

Sooo.... BTC prices going waay down, and restrictions to forums? Now thats 2 things that ruined my morning... Sad

Even though i agree with the topic of this post, I will state that BTC prices are now on the rebound and almost $17 again.   nothing wrong with that!

maybe blocking out the 1 post doomsayers wasnt such a bad idea afterall..    there may still yet be a better way of achieving that goal though.  

Yes i did just contradict myself but thats just how i think.  the price rebound is good evidence that the new policy isnt all bad.   

now I must go eat a taco and ponder the meaning of BTC
kajoman

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 11:30:38 AM

Yes, since I do thing to help people like solve technical problems and direct people to information which is more than I can say for you. Thank you for your insinuations.
[/quote]

I suppose technical help doesn't require any sympathy or understanding of sustainable growth or other aspects that engage other parts of the brain, so I can buy that! Don't we just love each other?  Grin
Light

Circa 2010

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 11:31:06 AM

Your right with the definition. And I also somewhat agree with your analogy. The question is now is if you would rather have a place where you can express a limited opinion or no place at all.

Well, if the limited opinion actually means pretty much no-one (e.g a couple of people) actually read/digested/understood my opinions I would rather not spend my time trying to convey and get my point across, as it wouldn't have much an effect anyway and would be a waste of time. And actually no place at all in this forum's term should mean no forum at all right, or at least no new users? Wouldn't that also once again be detrimental to Bitcoin, as it would be deemed a secretive, private thing that few people had access to?
oneforall

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 11:32:24 AM

I have had 2 accounts shut down Bitcoinewbie and Oneforall, both of which I have had for sometime, one was shut down for speaking out against the noob cage and one for pointing out to the mod, error, that he had a different view on acceptable use of the 'report to mod' button from maged. This censorship is detrimental to the project and should be addressed by the highest in command on this site, if they are not who is ordering this censorship. I can be reached at bitcoinewbie@gmail.com or with the same SN at bitcoinforums.net

unfortunately very few people will see this before it is removed and yet another account cancelled, I can only imagine how many hundreds of accounts have been cancelled tonight. A true true shame to see such a beautiful, open concept shit on so hardcore.
swusc2

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 11:33:27 AM

Idealists don't understand if everything under the sun was equal, everything would be dead. We do with what we have can what we can.

error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 11:33:57 AM

What are you talking about?

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
BrewProof

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 11:35:37 AM

Go eat a taco and ponder your words more.  Your accounts may last longer.
oneforall

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 11:37:15 AM

Error, are you claiming that you did not have discourse with bitcoinewbie and did not close my account?
kajoman

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 11:37:18 AM

swusc2. U make me want to hit u with a virtual stick. I hope you're a teen with prospects of becoming a real educated adult.. Enough with the personal attacks (that includes my attacks on u). We hold different opinions, and I love that - imagine what a dull world with no progress whatsoever if we all agreed and considered riding a lion to be the best means of transportation?  Cheesy
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 11:38:10 AM

You were banned because you are a troll. Every single post of yours was complaining about the forum. You even offered to post junk posts for people.

And now you're banned on this account, too...

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 11:38:27 AM

Error, are you claiming that you did not have discourse with bitcoinewbie and did not close my account?

Of course I didn't close your account. Moderators cannot do that.

As for discourse, you reported a post asking for a moderator to give someone technical support with their Bitcoin client, which was an inappropriate use of the report function.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  

Jump to: