April 25, 2024, 03:56:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 19405 19406 19407 19408 19409 19410 19411 19412 19413 19414 19415 19416 19417 19418 19419 19420 19421 19422 19423 19424 19425 19426 19427 19428 19429 19430 19431 19432 19433 19434 19435 19436 19437 19438 19439 19440 19441 19442 19443 19444 19445 19446 19447 19448 19449 19450 19451 19452 19453 19454 [19455] 19456 19457 19458 19459 19460 19461 19462 19463 19464 19465 19466 19467 19468 19469 19470 19471 19472 19473 19474 19475 19476 19477 19478 19479 19480 19481 19482 19483 19484 19485 19486 19487 19488 19489 19490 19491 19492 19493 19494 19495 19496 19497 19498 19499 19500 19501 19502 19503 19504 19505 ... 33301 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26367796 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:03:49 AM
Merited by explorer (1)

Racist is a meaningless buzzword, stating facts is now racist, yes jews control the media, and the banks, that's a fact, get over it.
yes blacks on average score much lower on IQ tests and commit a disproportionately high amount violent crimes?  is that ''racist''? don't know, don't care, but it happens to be true.

OMG People of color score lower on Ethnocentric tests. I'm not even going to dignify the rest of your crap.

Get a grip, you're a racist.

P.S.  This thread is about BTC.
*sigh* no. IQ tests are simply pattern recognition. There is nothing cultural about it. That tired old excuse is... tiresome.

And they do commit more crime. About four or five times as much per capita. Again, easy enough to look up for anyone who actually cares.

Socio-economic status is a far more reliable predictor of IQ test performance.  Low SES children consistently underperform
You got it reversed. Low social status and poverty is a result of low IQ.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:05:36 AM

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/feb/07/how-dangerous-is-jordan-b-peterson-the-rightwing-professor-who-hit-a-hornets-nest
by
Dorian Lynskey

Dorian Lynskey is a music writer for the Guardian and Observer as well as magazines including Q, GQ and Mojo. He is the author of 33 Revolutions Per Minute: A History of Protest Songs (Faber).

Very dangerous. To the left. That's why he has become a global phenomenon. He is a modern Socrates.

Do you have any other links to his writing ? As an avowed Marxist I look forward to having my mind blown. Unfortunately I don’t know any of the people in the above article he is talking about so it all falls a bit flat.
Links about Peterson? Just look him up on youtube. He has thousands of hours of lectures and talks and debates.
BTCMILLIONAIRE

Activity: 1358
Merit: 834

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:08:13 AM

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/feb/07/how-dangerous-is-jordan-b-peterson-the-rightwing-professor-who-hit-a-hornets-nest
by
Dorian Lynskey

Dorian Lynskey is a music writer for the Guardian and Observer as well as magazines including Q, GQ and Mojo. He is the author of 33 Revolutions Per Minute: A History of Protest Songs (Faber).

Very dangerous. To the left. That's why he has become a global phenomenon. He is a modern Socrates.

Do you have any other links to his writing ? As an avowed Marxist I look forward to having my mind blown. Unfortunately I don’t know any of the people in the above article he is talking about so it all falls a bit flat.
Links about Peterson? Just look him up on youtube. He has thousands of hours of lectures and talks and debates.
They're all worth watching too. Very inspiring and down to earth guy.
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:10:51 AM

Wow, wtf happened on the WO? There's some real ignorance coming out here. GTFO polluting the thread and our world with racism. If you're not in support of all races, it's YOU that is divided. Next topic, bitcoin please.
Nobody is fucking equal, comrade. People are different.
Yes, we are all different. Don't make the mistake of thinking one way is better than another. Some of us live our lives abroad in various countries learning more about culture, humanity, and how we are connected. You come across to me as someone who's been sheltered in America and fed MSM garbage when you spew your BS. No offence, check yourself.
Of course some cultures are better than others. That's why the rest of the world is trying to get into the west. We build the best cultures. And I have traveled enough that it no longer interests me all that much. Take a trip to Manila yourself, you'll see just how shitty cultures can be.

Of course, while cultures are not equal, they are all beautiful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp-sr5LNA50
Some of their issues aside (ridiculous work hours, shitty schools), I'm actually quite fond of Japan and its culture. It feels like an actual country of its own, while western countries all feel the same to me. I wouldn't want to live there for a small number of reasons, but from a strictly cultural perspective I would choose that place over any western country, mostly due to all of the little things that really add up. Such as not being a fucking obnoxious cunt in public.
They are nationalists instead of globalists. That's the main difference.

That's also why they focus so much on robotics. Better to have robots tend to their large elderly population than let in gaijins like we have done.
BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:12:07 AM

Wow, wtf happened on the WO? There's some real ignorance coming out here. GTFO polluting the thread and our world with racism. If you're not in support of all races, it's YOU that is divided. Next topic, bitcoin please.
Yes, we are all different. Don't make the mistake of thinking one way is better than another. Some of us live our lives abroad in various countries learning more about culture, humanity, and how we are connected. You come across to me as someone who's been sheltered in America and fed MSM garbage when you spew your BS. No offence, check yourself.
Of course some cultures are better than others. That's why the rest of the world is trying to get into the west. We build the best cultures. And I have traveled enough that it no longer interests me all that much. Take a trip to Manila yourself, you'll see just how shitty cultures can be.

Of course, while cultures are not equal, they are all beautiful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp-sr5LNA50
Some of their issues aside (ridiculous work hours, shitty schools), I'm actually quite fond of Japan and its culture. It feels like an actual country of its own, while western countries all feel the same to me. I wouldn't want to live there for a small number of reasons, but from a strictly cultural perspective I would choose that place over any western country, mostly due to all of the little things that really add up. Such as not being a fucking obnoxious cunt in public.

That's also why they focus so much on robotics. Better to have robots tend to their large elderly population than let in gaijins like we have done.
I never even understood the argument against technological unemployment. That sounds like a fucking dream come true to me. I hope Japan will remain nationalist instead of randomly deciding that it's a good idea to kill their culture.
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:17:38 AM

by
Dorian Lynskey

They're all worth watching too. Very inspiring and down to earth guy.
Not to mention educational. I have learned a bunch about psychology and personality and IQ from him.

His only flaw in my opinion is that he doesn't address r/K. The one time I saw someone mention it was on a panel with other professors, and he let someone else address it.
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:20:00 AM

I never even understood the argument against technological unemployment. That sounds like a fucking dream come true to me. I hope Japan will remain nationalist instead of randomly deciding that it's a good idea to kill their culture.
Because nobody gives money away for free. Not governments, and not individuals.

Besides, it would be a Very Bad Thing to live in a nation of Eloi when most of the world is violent. Humans need challenges to overcome in order to be human, rather than overgrown children.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10148

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:20:27 AM

I don’t hold with the level of racism in this thread either.

A ban of Roach would be a good start.  His noodlings on physical silver don’t bring sufficient value to justify his other bullshit.  I don’t give a flip if he has has been here since day 1.

Who has mod powers on this thread now ?

Yes some of his racist crap offended me too and I'm not no bleeding heart liberal. But I believe in free speech,. quite passionately . Best way to counter is with some salient argument or just simply ignore. Besides he does make some interesting observations at times.

Free speech is fine, I'm strongly in favour with some limits - but the internet is full of forums for racists to vent their shite. It's not relevant to this thread, and should get modded (and yes I get the irony that this discussion isn't either).

If it's limited it's not free, you can't have it both ways.

You seem to have your own "limited" thinking, if you cannot imagine ways in which free speech can be limited and still be free.. go figure.  Based on some of your previous posts, this current position of yours that is not willing or able to circumscribe the concept of "free" does not surprise me.
So give an example if you can. Explain your position. Show your work, as it were.

Don't be fucking ridiculous to pursue this trivial and distracting topic.  I have already seen that you have demonstrated your own variety of limitations in thinking too, in your defending a variety of bigoted concepts with simplistic frameworks.  A large majority of the time, there would be little to no fruitfulness to engage in any kind of way with your attempts at interaction that tend to be inciting without meaningful contribution.   
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:23:00 AM

I don’t hold with the level of racism in this thread either.

A ban of Roach would be a good start.  His noodlings on physical silver don’t bring sufficient value to justify his other bullshit.  I don’t give a flip if he has has been here since day 1.

Who has mod powers on this thread now ?

Yes some of his racist crap offended me too and I'm not no bleeding heart liberal. But I believe in free speech,. quite passionately . Best way to counter is with some salient argument or just simply ignore. Besides he does make some interesting observations at times.

Free speech is fine, I'm strongly in favour with some limits - but the internet is full of forums for racists to vent their shite. It's not relevant to this thread, and should get modded (and yes I get the irony that this discussion isn't either).

If it's limited it's not free, you can't have it both ways.

You seem to have your own "limited" thinking, if you cannot imagine ways in which free speech can be limited and still be free.. go figure.  Based on some of your previous posts, this current position of yours that is not willing or able to circumscribe the concept of "free" does not surprise me.
So give an example if you can. Explain your position. Show your work, as it were.

Don't be fucking ridiculous to pursue this trivial and distracting topic.  I have already seen that you have demonstrated your own variety of limitations in thinking too, in your defending a variety of bigoted concepts with simplistic frameworks.  A large majority of the time, there would be little to no fruitfulness to engage in any kind of way with your attempts at interaction that tend to be inciting without meaningful contribution.  
In other words you got nothing. Which is as expected. Lots of words, little substance.
bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:26:39 AM

Who the fuck partially fills a limit order for 0.1 BTC and then goes away again?

This has happened to me quite frequently.  You just  happen to have your order at the reversing point.  I think that it is good sign.

Sometimes the remaining portion fo the order does end up getting filled, but frequently when an order gets partially filled, I get a kind of feeling of how much of a "genius" I am in terms of my order placement... sometimes, I cancel the remaining and sometimes I will just leave it and see if it later gets filled.  If I leave it, then frequently, I will set a partial contrary order, just to cover myself on both and it becomes more fun, because I feel that I get an additional opportunity to make some extra money by setting another partial order on the other end and then just wait to see which one fills first.  That part is like a game, and fun and generally profitable, no matter what.

You mean you don't use "chained" orders? (ie, when a limit buy order is filled a preset limit sell order is inserted into the book and viceversa). I think what you say implies you do that manually... maybe I am wrong or you are referring only to the orders that need to be manually inserted after a "combo" is done.
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:28:31 AM

(snip....)

The underlying question, of course, is: How can smaller creatures - human, tunas, herrings and minnows - see it coming?

This is a huge, but probably unanswerable question.  But it is one that anyone smart is always hoping to find the answer to.

Markets are all about confidence and sentiment, so (sadly) there is no perfect answer, even though with hindsight patterns do repeat.  But patterns can always be seen in the past and look obvious - seeing them coming again is not so easy.  Like Elliot waves; it's always debatable 'which wave' we are in.

For long-term trend prediction (the big turning points), I think indicators of irrational bullishness /bearishness are as good an indicator of anything a crash, or rise is coming - but this is unmeasurable mathematically.

Short term - personally - I draw lines on charts endlessly, decide my favourite candle time scale and which MA to trade on and it usually 'helps' - but only enough to give me an edge.  And it's an edge that works only if you work hard and spend a LOT of time on it.

I did sell off 20% in Dec, which was as much as I dared to because it was enough to change my life significantly - and I didn't know what the tax situation in my country was likely to mean for what I took out (plus it was still going up!).   I felt strongly we would probably correct, and I remembered 2013, so I took 'some' out.  I advised members of my close family who had anything to do the same (they chose not to).

I will say this:

With trends (not short term trading), the only thing that has worked for me is two methodologies:

1.  Gut feeling  (along with mentally preparing to 'sell to too early, if it's enough money to make a difference')

2.  Listening to Tera.
Well, while you can't predict where in a given pattern we are at any given moment, you can use historical data to get a probability of certain patterns unfolding on different time scales. And to be profitable all it takes is to be right just over 50% of the time, which is something that isn't extremely difficult in inefficient markets. That does take a very specific toolset though, so it's not for everyone by default, although the required skills can be acquired by anyone. The problem is that figuring out the details takes a very long time, and humans are pretty dreadful when it comes to long-term planning.

I think what d_eddie was quite reasonably asking was 'what can we learn so that can we see the big stuff coming in future', since most here did not.

I use TA and in normal conditions I can trade with enough edge for it to work well enough to be worthwhile, after five years, I ought to have learned something - but I didn't know where the top was, and I am not totally certain BTC has bottomed out.  To be really good, you need to sell all at the precise top, and then buy it back at the absolute bottom.  

I doubt anyone actually did.

Perfection is not possible, but getting closer to it is a noble and sensible quest.

BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:30:58 AM

Besides, it would be a Very Bad Thing to live in a nation of Eloi when most of the world is violent. Humans need challenges to overcome in order to be human, rather than overgrown children.
I don't really give a shit about what humans on average do though, as long as everything else is taken care of. I've been going out of my way to challenge myself for as long as I can remember, but that doesn't seem to be something that most people are interested in. Why bother forcing them when they're too stupid to challenge themselves in the right ways to begin with? Just look at the challenges that certain ideological groups are trying to overcome. They're complete and utter horseshit and they generally don't learn anything from their failures.

As far as giving money away for free goes. If nobody has any money then nobody will be capable of consuming. And getting money to spend it on the products of those who choose to engage in more creative/productive endeavours doesn't seem like a bad trade-off to me. Having the choice to sell your data would be alright too, unlike what Google and the other big tech companies are doing right now. There's also the factor of costs, which are exponentially decreasing as time moves on. Providing food and entertainment will be virtually free in the future anyways. Especially once we've got energy sorted out.
BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:35:07 AM

(snip....)

The underlying question, of course, is: How can smaller creatures - human, tunas, herrings and minnows - see it coming?

This is a huge, but probably unanswerable question.  But it is one that anyone smart is always hoping to find the answer to.

Markets are all about confidence and sentiment, so (sadly) there is no perfect answer, even though with hindsight patterns do repeat.  But patterns can always be seen in the past and look obvious - seeing them coming again is not so easy.  Like Elliot waves; it's always debatable 'which wave' we are in.

For long-term trend prediction (the big turning points), I think indicators of irrational bullishness /bearishness are as good an indicator of anything a crash, or rise is coming - but this is unmeasurable mathematically.

Short term - personally - I draw lines on charts endlessly, decide my favourite candle time scale and which MA to trade on and it usually 'helps' - but only enough to give me an edge.  And it's an edge that works only if you work hard and spend a LOT of time on it.

I did sell off 20% in Dec, which was as much as I dared to because it was enough to change my life significantly - and I didn't know what the tax situation in my country was likely to mean for what I took out (plus it was still going up!).   I felt strongly we would probably correct, and I remembered 2013, so I took 'some' out.  I advised members of my close family who had anything to do the same (they chose not to).

I will say this:

With trends (not short term trading), the only thing that has worked for me is two methodologies:

1.  Gut feeling  (along with mentally preparing to 'sell to too early, if it's enough money to make a difference')

2.  Listening to Tera.
Well, while you can't predict where in a given pattern we are at any given moment, you can use historical data to get a probability of certain patterns unfolding on different time scales. And to be profitable all it takes is to be right just over 50% of the time, which is something that isn't extremely difficult in inefficient markets. That does take a very specific toolset though, so it's not for everyone by default, although the required skills can be acquired by anyone. The problem is that figuring out the details takes a very long time, and humans are pretty dreadful when it comes to long-term planning.

I think what d_eddie was quite reasonable asking was 'what can we learn so that can we see the big stuff coming in future', since most here did not.

I use TA and in normal conditions I can trade with enough edge for it to work well enough to be worthwhile, after five years, I ought to have learned something - but I didn't know where the top was, and I am not totally certain BTC has bottomed out.  To be really good, you need to sell all at the precise top, and then buy it back at the absolute bottom. 

Perfection is not possible, but getting closer to it is a noble and sensible quest.

I doubt anyone actually did.
To be really good you just need to be better than the average trader. And for that you don't need to sell the exact top or buy the exact bottom. It's enough to stagger purchases and sales in proportions that depend on the probabilities of price increases/decreases by certain numbers. Finding the probabilities is the trick here, as well as averaging them out in a way that guarantees you a performance band in which your portfolio will fall with a given probability. Doing that requires an understanding of time series as well as the ability to process large amounts of data (beyond just the price charts) though.
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:35:42 AM

I don't really give a shit about what humans on average do though, as long as everything else is taken care of. I've been going out of my way to challenge myself for as long as I can remember, but that doesn't seem to be something that most people are interested in. Why bother forcing them when they're too stupid to challenge themselves in the right ways to begin with? Just look at the challenges that certain ideological groups are trying to overcome. They're complete and utter horseshit and they generally don't learn anything from their failures.

As far as giving money away for free goes. If nobody has any money then nobody will be capable of consuming. And getting money to spend it on the products of those who choose to engage in more creative/productive endeavours doesn't seem like a bad trade-off to me. Having the choice to sell your data would be alright too, unlike what Google and the other big tech companies are doing right now. There's also the factor of costs, which are exponentially decreasing as time moves on. Providing food and entertainment will be virtually free in the future anyways. Especially once we've got energy sorted out.
Humans don't exist in anything other than groups. The average person is the culture you live in. That's why.

Money will not be eradicated. Not going to happen.
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:39:10 AM

To be really good you just need to be better than the average trader. And for that you don't need to sell the exact top or buy the exact bottom. It's enough to stagger purchases and sales in proportions that depend on the probabilities of price increases/decreases by certain numbers. Finding the probabilities is the trick here, as well as averaging them out in a way that guarantees you a performance band in which your portfolio will fall with a given probability. Doing that requires an understanding of time series as well as the ability to process large amounts of data (beyond just the price charts) though.

Agreed, but why didn't we see the crash coming? If there was a pattern to predict that, not many here did.

Did you know after it went up towards 20k that within a month or so it would hit 6K?  I didn't.
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:43:07 AM

by
Dorian Lynskey

Ok I watched some videos.  He says some reasonable things. But he also seems a bit confused.  He seems to think that psych is a science rather than just educated guessing.  It’s a bit like an economist making a forecast.  If they are good then their guesses are correct more than 50% of the time. 
HairyMaclairy
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:45:16 AM

Racist is a meaningless buzzword, stating facts is now racist, yes jews control the media, and the banks, that's a fact, get over it.
yes blacks on average score much lower on IQ tests and commit a disproportionately high amount violent crimes?  is that ''racist''? don't know, don't care, but it happens to be true.

OMG People of color score lower on Ethnocentric tests. I'm not even going to dignify the rest of your crap.

P.S.  This thread is about BTC.
*sigh* no. IQ tests are simply pattern recognition. There is nothing cultural about it. That tired old excuse is... tiresome.

And they do commit more crime. About four or five times as much per capita. Again, easy enough to look up for anyone who actually cares.

Socio-economic status is a far more reliable predictor of IQ test performance.  Low SES children consistently underperform

The strongest predictor of socioeconomic status is the SES of your parents. On that basis only smart babies choose to be born to wealthy parents  Grin
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:45:44 AM

by
Dorian Lynskey

Ok I watched some videos.  He says some reasonable things. But he also seems a bit confused.  He seems to think that psych is a science rather than just educated guessing.  It’s a bit like an economist making a forecast.  If they are good then their guesses are correct more than 50% of the time.  
The brain is a physical organ, not some kind of magical thing that exists apart from the body. We just don't know much about it yet. That doesn't make it any less of a science.

And... watch some more. Seriously. There is literally months of useful stuff. Especially the parts about communism, as an avowed marxist.
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:47:38 AM

P.S.  This thread is about BTC.

Socio-economic status is a far more reliable predictor of IQ test performance.  Low SES children consistently underperform

The strongest predictor of socioeconomic status is the SES of your parents. On that basis only smart babies choose to be born to wealthy parents  Grin
IQ is mostly genetic. There is literally nothing we can do about it, as far as we currently know. Blame your parents if you wish.
BTCMILLIONAIRE

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 09:59:44 AM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

Agreed, but why didn't we see the crash coming? If there was a pattern to predict that, not many here did.

Did you know after it went up towards 20k that within a month or so it would hit 6K?  I didn't.
You don't have to know when it'll start crashing, how low it will go, or when it will reverse up to what point. You can use historic data in combination with fundamental analysis to compute a set of prices at which you buy/sell parts of your stash, as well as how large those parts should be to maximize profits while simultaneously minimizing the risk of losing. That doesn't mean you'll make the maximum possible profit, but rather that you'd maximize your profits while making sure that you don't drop below a certain threshold. The threshold is something that you choose according to your risk appetite.

Humans don't exist in anything other than groups. The average person is the culture you live in. That's why.

Money will not be eradicated. Not going to happen.
Never said money will disappear. I don't think it will, even if we end up in a period of abundance. It's overall role in society may change (e.g. the 99% won't really see it any longer), but it's not going to go away.
Pages: « 1 ... 19405 19406 19407 19408 19409 19410 19411 19412 19413 19414 19415 19416 19417 19418 19419 19420 19421 19422 19423 19424 19425 19426 19427 19428 19429 19430 19431 19432 19433 19434 19435 19436 19437 19438 19439 19440 19441 19442 19443 19444 19445 19446 19447 19448 19449 19450 19451 19452 19453 19454 [19455] 19456 19457 19458 19459 19460 19461 19462 19463 19464 19465 19466 19467 19468 19469 19470 19471 19472 19473 19474 19475 19476 19477 19478 19479 19480 19481 19482 19483 19484 19485 19486 19487 19488 19489 19490 19491 19492 19493 19494 19495 19496 19497 19498 19499 19500 19501 19502 19503 19504 19505 ... 33301 »
  Print  

Jump to: