April 30, 2024, 06:32:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 26542 26543 26544 26545 26546 26547 26548 26549 26550 26551 26552 26553 26554 26555 26556 26557 26558 26559 26560 26561 26562 26563 26564 26565 26566 26567 26568 26569 26570 26571 26572 26573 26574 26575 26576 26577 26578 26579 26580 26581 26582 26583 26584 26585 26586 26587 26588 26589 26590 26591 [26592] 26593 26594 26595 26596 26597 26598 26599 26600 26601 26602 26603 26604 26605 26606 26607 26608 26609 26610 26611 26612 26613 26614 26615 26616 26617 26618 26619 26620 26621 26622 26623 26624 26625 26626 26627 26628 26629 26630 26631 26632 26633 26634 26635 26636 26637 26638 26639 26640 26641 26642 ... 33308 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26369801 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
May 20, 2020, 02:22:46 PM

Ibian does not seem to "get it". There is no magic wand to wave over bitcoin to get what you want or "deserve".
When did I ever say anything of the sort?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
May 20, 2020, 02:22:47 PM

Honestly, if you need transactions to clear really quickly I'd suggest using litecoin at this point.

Yes, it's a shitcoin, but if you've got a hooker in your room, she's done her job, and you want her gone (that's why you pay hookers: To leave) a 2.5 minute confirmation time is of high value. Right now standing around for 30 minutes doing idle chitshat is not worth any amount in fees :-)

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
May 20, 2020, 02:25:12 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1), Biodom (1), JayJuanGee (1), nutildah (1), AlcoHoDL (1), Toxic2040 (1), Bitcoinaire (1)

I remember some of you guys used to grin a lot... How's your sh!tcoin doing?

18 Months In, Few People Use, Mine or Buy Privacy Coin Grin

https://www.coindesk.com/18-months-few-people-use-mine-buy-privacy-coin-cryptocurrency-grin

Not sure why you are so up in arms because of a $20-30mil market cap alt.
Nobody really bought it, but you could have mined it on a video card, which is not really possible with other coins.
It's too difficult to use, hence it is mostly a developer toy. Plus, it has high inflation in a first few years as supply is growing linearly (at around 63 mil/year).
Not really anonymous, either.

Yeah.  People do not understand that the innovation in MimbleWimble is not the "privacy", but the potential for scaling with a lightweight blockchain.  I think that is why so many bitcoin talk OGs were interested.

But it is unproven tech, and  Grin is the proving ground for better or worse.

It's economics are also interesting.  And in some ways obviously not designed for competition with BTC.  I have never mined, nor bought a single pip of Grin, myself.

I find people's obsession with alts failing to be a telling thing about someone's security when it comes to Bitcoin's place as the lindy project with network effect.

In the end we HAVE to do the experiments.

Some coin HAS to try to be a world computer and do all calc on chain. (ETH)
Some coin HAS to have no blocksize limit and store all kinds of data on chain and centralize. (BSV)
Some coin has to have inflationary monetary policy. (Doge?)
Some project has to have an opaque base layer, and be capable of truly private use. (Monero?)
ETC ETC ETC
Grin gets to try to prove out mimblewimble.

And then there are all the projects that have no purpose because they try to compromise on one or more of those aspects in the name of "moderation" (BCH?).  

We simply cannot live in a world where BITCOIN exists as an open source distributed ledger tech attempting to become money where competing forks and copycat software does not exist.  Can't have both of those things.

It sucks for those of us old enough to have less life left to live as this stuff works itself out... but it has to work itself out.

My bet is on Bitcoin.  (Well, and I do keep a Monero side bet so to speak...  I just list that here to make JJG froth)
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2020, 02:34:06 PM

Honestly, if you need transactions to clear really quickly I'd suggest using litecoin at this point.

Yes, it's a shitcoin, but if you've got a hooker in your room, she's done her job, and you want her gone (that's why you pay hookers: To leave) a 2.5 minute confirmation time is of high value. Right now standing around for 30 minutes doing idle chitshat is not worth any amount in fees :-)

Bitcoin transfers are instant.
psycodad
Legendary

Activity: 1604
Merit: 1564

精神分析的爸

View Profile
May 20, 2020, 02:37:29 PM

Care to elaborate? Or are you just trying to grind lightfoots gears?
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 10191

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
May 20, 2020, 02:39:03 PM

Talking about dominance, I finally figured out what bothers me in alts: the fact that they confuse the heck out of everyone not involved in bitcoin, which results in altcoin chasing, etc.

Sure.  How you going to stop that?  We can bash on the shitcoin projects.  We can choose not to participate in them.  We can discourage others from involving themselves in the other shitcoin projects.  In the end, seems that it is just going to take time to iron out.  Difficult to rush such a process, and there are billions of people out there who have not invested in bitcoin or shitcoins or anything who are likely to be just as willing to invest into shitcoins as they are into bitcoin.  Shitcoins specialize into marketing to these people by asserting that they missed the bitcoin train, and their shitcoin has more potential than bitcoin because their shitcoin only costs $38.73 while bitcoin costs $9,776.78.  People eat up such deceptive bullshit.  Even smart people.

When a solid chunk of humanity is exposed to bitcoin, say 10-20%, THEN I would be more OK with the experimentation.

Again another thing that seems to be outside of your control, and regarding experimentation with shitcoins, seems to me that they are likely to be more successful to 1) gain in value, 2) play off of the network effects of king daddy, 3) attract people into them 4) etc during these earlier unsettled times..  Once it becomes more clear that bitcoin is the clear winner (which some of us have already recognized) then it might become more difficult to either attract people/investors into shitcoins or to create narratives that really cause people/investors to genuinely believe that they have chances to beat out bitcoin and become bitcoin 2.0.

Bringing those 700-1bil people onboard is hard enough without them exploring cheap alts and getting busted/frustrated and dropping out.

If you build a better mouse trap, people will come.  Might just take 20 to 50 years.... and bitcoin is much more difficult than a mouse trap to actually assess and conclude that it is the "better" one.

Of course, exchanges are promoting this to no end as they are making money in all those sloshing alts.

Can't really stop individual or entities from wanting to make money.. and if there is money there, then why wouldn't they do it? 

Surely there are some individuals and entities that are bitcoin focused, too.

The adopting process is also slow as heck. Where is the famous hockey stick?

Why so impatient, Biodom?

Seems that you believe that bitcoin's adoption is NOT going quickly enough?

Personally, I am NOT sure how to imagine much more bullish growth without things getting too screwed up, because there is already a lot of chaos in the space, and sure there might be some areas in which there appears to be growth and then there are set backs.. but seems to take a while to get a lot of infrastructure matters into place in order to really facilitate hockey stick growth in adoption...

By the way, I have believed that hash power and mining power in bitcoin has continued to grow astronomically and even in ways that hash power could support 100x increase in the BTC price without any major issues, but even with that, we sometimes will recognize various kinds of vulnerabilities, and maybe it is better to make sure that some of the vulnerabilities are recognized and even worked up prior to the next 100x in BTC price.. we had 100x increase in price in 2013.. then some time to recover from that and then another 78x increase in price in 2017.. and then time to recover from that .. and adoption does require places for the people to store their coins and places for them to expand into, which seems to nearly naturally cause the BTC price to increase with fairly small increases in adoption causing large increases in BTC price.  So to me, it seems that bitcoin could tolerate another 100x in price, but there also need to be infrastructure in place to deal with it, too... and yeah maybe we cannot get 100x sustainable, but maybe we would end up gravitating back into the 4x to 5x area.. from where we are at because growth can only happen so quickly in order for various other aspects of the ecosystems to catch up.

Sure it is good to assess the facts, and maybe suggest that there might be various shit projects that distract people from adopting bitcoin, and they end up getting distracted into shitcoins, but why should we get upset about such distractions into shitcoins?  It is what it is, no?  Is there some way that there should be better marketing in bitcoin to keep some of the people from gravitating into shitcoins?  Shitcoins do provide a place for some people to go while the bitcoin infrastructure continues to be developed and allow a place for them to fit into.  Is there something that bitcoin is doing wrong?  Is there some niche that needs to be fulfilled in bitcoin?  Aren't there various entrepreneurs who would spot any niche if they believe that it needs to be filled or that it might be profitable?  I would agree that with open source, there will be some tragedy of the commons, too, in that sometimes there might not be motivations to build in certain ways that might be needed because no one believes that they can make money in that direction, even if such direction would be good for the bitcoin ecosystem to have support in a direction that is not really easy to monetize.

I think that one of the problems with any open source project is that it going to be inefficient in a variety of ways and there are going to be folks and other projects that try to steal from it and then imitate it and then try to gain its network effects.

In the longer run, value still remains quite likely to continue to gravitate into bitcoin because bitcoin continues to be the soundest of money and there continues to be no other project that even comes close to bitcoin's sound money aspect even though some of them will spout out such sound money claims, but their claims are not really backed by facts regarding how those other projects operate, and it just seems that the stealing from bitcoin and the delays in growth (total adoption) are just part of the open source territory and one of the costs of doing business under such openness... so in the longer run we might all be dead.. but still in the shorter run, bitcoin still seems to be a good investment choice when compared to other projects..

Yeah, any of us could get distracted into some sham imitation project, and we might even make more money by short term getting involved in such scam project... so the choice remains with each of us, whether to stay involved in bitcoin or to diversify into various shit projects because we believe that we might gain more profit that way and we are too impatient to either develop on bitcoin, keep our value in bitcoin or to wait for the slow open source project of kingdaddy to play itself out for the next 20, 50 or 100 years.
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2020, 02:40:07 PM

What is the question? The transfer happens immediately. The processing before it can be sent somewhere else takes a little while. Payment does not need processing for the payment to happen.
psycodad
Legendary

Activity: 1604
Merit: 1564

精神分析的爸

View Profile
May 20, 2020, 02:43:34 PM

What is the question? The transfer happens immediately. The processing before it can be sent somewhere else takes a little while. Payment does not need processing for the payment to happen.

So you are basically saying accepting payments once they are in the mempool is fine, waiting for confirmations is for sissys?

Good luck then with your funds.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2020, 02:44:07 PM

At this moment I only have one alternative, very repeated in your posts, "I will assign a minimum weekly amount" so as not to miss the train.
It is the first time since I bought Bitcoin that I have been forced to sell.
I feel a little strange, a btc bull without btc Angry, I hope it does not affect me mentally and continue to share the good and bad moments in WO, I do not like the idea of ​​getting away from here.

Thx, you for your comments.

Wow, sorry to hear this, kind of drastic, but, bro, any amount of btc is good as long as your mind is on a right track as a bitcoiner.

Yep... let's just say hypothetically any of us is forced to sell.  We might just want to keep some token amount in bitcoin, whether $50 or some other amount in order that we attempt to continue with the proper mindset and practice towards continuing to have some kind of investment.

Of course, none of us knows the circumstances of another member who might not even share such details, and there could be circumstances in which it is not even possible to retain a token amount of BTC... which would likely be extreme circumstances.
OutOfMemory
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 2995

Man who stares at charts

View Profile
May 20, 2020, 02:47:15 PM

There's a small wedge forming on the 6h, 4h. If it completes, BTC might go up today.
Don't beat me if i'm wrong, but i still believe in "helpful" traders who react to this in a quite predictable way Cheesy

EDIT: Just recognized the posting count of my hat-post was 500. Missed the screenshot, meh...  Roll Eyes
Jawhead999
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1156

View Profile
May 20, 2020, 02:48:50 PM

source

USD will be worthless soon, brrrrrr brrrrrr Cool 
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2020, 02:57:54 PM

So you are basically saying accepting payments once they are in the mempool is fine, waiting for confirmations is for sissys?

Good luck then with your funds.
Happens all the time. I do it, people I know do it, Cheapair does it. Last time I bought plane tickets I bought one part of the trip with plastic and another with bitcoin. Bitcoin confirmed faster.
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2020, 03:00:53 PM

In fact I was from the few back in March, that suggested that everything would be alright by June.
So far, it hasn't aged well.

Probably because you are too busy focusing on personalities rather than actual issues and substance, but whatever at least you can admit (somewhat) that you might have been wrong in your prior assessment of impact.

I doubt that there is anyone here who would have imagined that the financial impact of this whole virus situation would have been so great or that there would have been so much chaos in the world in regards to how to deal with it.  The chaos seems far from over, even with the opening up of various places in which the outbreak seems far from under control or even the ongoing lack of information and tests is likely NOT going to end well, but sure, maybe we will get lucky, and the opening up will work out fine..

I am really doubtful, not only that the opening up will not work out well, it will disproportionately impact the poor and disenfranchised, but even rich people are going to get fucked by lacking in their providing of various support systems and focus in the reopening efforts.

Good thing that a lot of us have bitcoin, but we are also going to get fucked from this whole thing because we are going to have so many more limitations to how we can spend our wealth...  in the hookers, lambo and blow territory but also other quality of life considerations in terms of steaks, travel, health and fitness options, social mingling, other supply chain issues and venue options.

So maybe even there was some truth in the proclamations of mindrust when he asserted that he felt better to shave off a lot of his bitcoin options because even being rich is not going to be that great in these kinds of times of fewer options... .... and even though there is some truth in that comment, having bitcoin and richness in those kinds of alternative asset holding ways is likely to provide way more options than either having money in fiat or other potentially depreciating or expensive to maintain ways.
fillippone
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 15441

Fully fledged Merit Cycler - Golden Feather 22-23

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2020, 03:10:39 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

Wut?
Coinbase from February 2009 has just been moved!

Someone moved the coinbase from block 3,654!
This is HODLING!
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2020, 03:11:46 PM

Wow, sorry to hear this, kind of drastic, but, bro, any amount of btc is good as long as your mind is on a right track as a bitcoiner.

WAaaaaa!!!
WTF happened  Huh

So sorry VB. Cry

Correct, a drastic measure, but of an indirect unforeseen, not generated by me.
These are strange and difficult times for everyone including family and friends.
I am sure many of you would have acted the same.

We might be too greedy to admit to owning BTC or having an ability to save someone else... but yeah, without details it is difficult to know how each of us might act in similar circumstances in which our wealth (BTC) can be used to help others.... .or if we might have an obligation to bailout someone else.

........to be safe I said to the girl to rebook for April 2021, I let the girl loose with the booking reference & when I ask where she booked she answers Mexico & it’s an extra £2500.

Fucking women, .......

Hahahahahaha

They are such lovely creatures.
bitcoinPsycho
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 2066

$120000 in 2024 Confirmed

View Profile
May 20, 2020, 03:18:48 PM

Da fuk
ssmc2
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1040

View Profile
May 20, 2020, 03:19:52 PM

Scam Darth maul wick. Nothing to see here everything going as planned.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 4309

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
May 20, 2020, 03:20:06 PM

what fuckery is this?
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2020, 03:22:38 PM

Perhaps we can raise some money for our bro? Like donations for ex-bitcoiners who were forced to sell?  Cool

We could have a "fallen bros" donation fund.

Like insurance for hat wearers.

What could go wrong?

lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
May 20, 2020, 03:25:12 PM
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

Perhaps we can raise some money for our bro? Like donations for ex-bitcoiners who were forced to sell?  Cool

We could have a "fallen bros" donation fund.

Like insurance for hat wearers.

What could go wrong?

Only if the money is spent on:

a) Hookers
b) Blow
c) Lambos

For the fallen comrade.
Pages: « 1 ... 26542 26543 26544 26545 26546 26547 26548 26549 26550 26551 26552 26553 26554 26555 26556 26557 26558 26559 26560 26561 26562 26563 26564 26565 26566 26567 26568 26569 26570 26571 26572 26573 26574 26575 26576 26577 26578 26579 26580 26581 26582 26583 26584 26585 26586 26587 26588 26589 26590 26591 [26592] 26593 26594 26595 26596 26597 26598 26599 26600 26601 26602 26603 26604 26605 26606 26607 26608 26609 26610 26611 26612 26613 26614 26615 26616 26617 26618 26619 26620 26621 26622 26623 26624 26625 26626 26627 26628 26629 26630 26631 26632 26633 26634 26635 26636 26637 26638 26639 26640 26641 26642 ... 33308 »
  Print  

Jump to: