April 26, 2024, 04:58:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 6415 6416 6417 6418 6419 6420 6421 6422 6423 6424 6425 6426 6427 6428 6429 6430 6431 6432 6433 6434 6435 6436 6437 6438 6439 6440 6441 6442 6443 6444 6445 6446 6447 6448 6449 6450 6451 6452 6453 6454 6455 6456 6457 6458 6459 6460 6461 6462 6463 6464 [6465] 6466 6467 6468 6469 6470 6471 6472 6473 6474 6475 6476 6477 6478 6479 6480 6481 6482 6483 6484 6485 6486 6487 6488 6489 6490 6491 6492 6493 6494 6495 6496 6497 6498 6499 6500 6501 6502 6503 6504 6505 6506 6507 6508 6509 6510 6511 6512 6513 6514 6515 ... 33303 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26368241 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 02:33:08 PM

Jorge retains some fantasy illusion that his posts affect the behavior of some marginal newbies
Rua Santa Ifigênia is the traditional "electronics street" of São Paulo, some 5-10 blocks with tiny to medium-sized shops selling from transistors to consumer electronics, with sidewalks lined with street merchant stalls selling all sorts of accessories, cartridges, software, etc.. A large part of it is contraband, pirated, or counterfeit (you can surely find a "legitimate" copy of Photoshop or Autocad there for a few bucks). Once in a while the police raids the place, confiscates a couple of tons of merchandise, gves out fines and maybe some arrests, just to justify their salaries; but that is all "priced in" as you might say.

Some 10-15 years ago a Ph.D. student of mine bought for her project a Sony camera that had a CD burner built-in and recorded images directly on small 3" CD-Rs.  (There was a short time window when that camera made sense, because flash memory cards had about the same capacity as those CD-Rs but were much more expensive.) She was running out of the original supply of CD-Rs, and could not find then in Campinas; so one day we happened to be in São Paulo we thought of checking at Sta. Ifigiênia.

When you buy anything in Brazil the store is supposed to give you a "fiscal note", an official serially numbered receipt, of which they keep a copy.  Those receipts are used by tax auditors to check whether the state sales tax is being paid.  Obviously street merchants and  stores selling contraband don't give no friggin' fiscal notes, especially for a small purchase like a box of blank CDs; but since we were paying with federal grant money we needed the fiscal notes, and moreover we had to pay with a check from the government account.  We had to walk the whole street, asking at half a dozen computer supply shops, until we found a store that had those 3" CD-Rs, accepted the check, and gave us a fiscal note.

While we were walking back, people started shouting "tax inspectors, tax inspectors" all over the place.  In ten minutes (no exaggeration) half the small shops in the entire street closed their doors, and all the sidewalk stalls had been hastily folded and thrown into vans that disappeared from view.   For, you see, they had spotted two odd-looking people entering random shops and asking to buy some trinket with a fiscal note -- what else could they be?

So: don't underestimate.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bagatell

Activity: 722
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 02:35:32 PM

People had very good arguments in decemeber why it would go down more so I wanted to see if anyone had the opposite argument for why it might go up.

Have you seen this?

Slippery Slope's Million Dollar Logistic Model

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=366214.0

I am rather sceptical about this. Not because it's a bad model overall, but because I suspect the amount of fiat coming in does not correlate well to adoption. Namely, over-represented speculators must have vastly over-pumped the market, so it's hard to tell where we 'should' be at this point.

I'd be interested in seeing a better model, if there is one.
Asrael999

Activity: 703
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 02:37:03 PM

Jorge retains some fantasy illusion that his posts affect the behavior of some marginal newbies
Rua Santa Ifigênia is the traditional "electronics street" of São Paulo, some 5-10 blocks with tiny to medium-sized shops selling from transistors to consumer electronics, with sidewalks lined with street merchant stalls selling all sorts of accessories, cartridges, software, etc.. A large part of it is contraband, pirated, or counterfeit (you can surely find a "legitimate" copy of Photoshop or Autocad there for a few bucks). Once in a while the police raids the place, confiscates a couple of tons of merchandise, gves out fines and maybe some arrests, just to justify their salaries; but that is all "priced in" as you might say.

Some 10-15 years ago a Ph.D. student of mine bought for her project a Sony camera that had a CD burner built-in and recorded images directly on small 3" CD-Rs.  (There was a short time window when that camera made sense, because flash memory cards had about the same capacity as those CD-Rs but were much more expensive.) She was running out of the original supply of CD-Rs, and could not find then in Campinas; so one day we happened to be in São Paulo we thought of checking at Sta. Ifigiênia.

When you buy anything in Brazil the store is supposed to give you a "fiscal note", an official serially numbered receipt, of which they keep a copy.  Those receipts are used by tax auditors to check whether the state sales tax is being paid.  Obviously street merchants and  stores selling contraband don't give no friggin' fiscal notes, especially for a small purchase like a box of blank CDs; but since we were paying with federal grant money we needed the fiscal notes, and moreover we had to pay with a check from the government account.  We had to walk the whole street, asking at half a dozen computer supply shops, until we found a store who had those 3" CD-Rs, accepted the check, and gave us a fiscal note.

While we were walking back, people started shouting "tax inspectors, tax inspectors" all over the place.  In ten minutes (no exaggeration) half the small shops in the entire street closed their doors, and all the sidewalk stalls had been hastily folded and thrown into vans that disappeared from view.   For, you see, they had spotted two odd-looking people entering random shops and asking to buy some trinket with a fiscal note -- what else could they be?

I would have used the example of shouting Fire in a crowded cinema - but you get the point across. Smiley
Cassius
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 02:41:41 PM

People had very good arguments in decemeber why it would go down more so I wanted to see if anyone had the opposite argument for why it might go up.

Have you seen this?

Slippery Slope's Million Dollar Logistic Model

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=366214.0

I am rather sceptical about this. Not because it's a bad model overall, but because I suspect the amount of fiat coming in does not correlate well to adoption. Namely, over-represented speculators must have vastly over-pumped the market, so it's hard to tell where we 'should' be at this point.

I'd be interested in seeing a better model, if there is one.

I don't have one (it's always easier to criticise someone else's than come up with your own work). I think it's a reasonable model. The catch is that adoption is ultimately about getting Joe Public on board. Right now, most of the people who own bitcoins are hodlers or speculators. My guess is that both of those categories will own a lot more bitcoins at any given time than JP who wants to buy stuff with them. What multiple more might give a clue as to how ahead of ourselves we are at the moment. It's hard to estimate, though: how much do you think the average person will keep in bitcoin on full adoption?
Bagatell

Activity: 722

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 02:47:05 PM

What multiple more might give a clue as to how ahead of ourselves we are at the moment.

Going by SSs model, we are somewhat behind ourselves at the moment. Interesting times we live in.
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 02:47:15 PM

there is clearly an urgent need for some dinosaurs

LOL

Thank you Sir. You saved the day !

There is definitely  a correlation between Bitcoin's price and the number of dinosaurs in this forum

Is that a Pimposaurus?

It's a pumposaurus Cheesy
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1745

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 03:00:40 PM

Explanation
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 04:00:41 PM

Explanation
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 04:02:38 PM

Does anyone think that now is a good idea to buy? Ive waited for a few months like I was told and now this has reverse?

Don't worry, we're definitely heading back down to the low 300s. Teratheterrible and Mattheshat said so and they wouldn't lie  Cheesy

Confirmed, Having spoken with the CEO of Huobi and also the EU I have some interesting insider tips. Huobi will be closing after loosing ~600k BTC and the EU will also ban bitcoin every couple of days for 4 months. Sub $300 is possible Wink

So wait... you talked to the CEO of the EU?  Or you spoke with the EU itself?
uhoh

Activity: 742

Circle gets the Square

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 04:04:44 PM

Does anyone think that now is a good idea to buy? Ive waited for a few months like I was told and now this has reverse?

Don't worry, we're definitely heading back down to the low 300s. Teratheterrible and Mattheshat said so and they wouldn't lie  Cheesy

Confirmed, Having spoken with the CEO of Huobi and also the EU I have some interesting insider tips. Huobi will be closing after loosing ~600k BTC and the EU will also ban bitcoin every couple of days for 4 months. Sub $300 is possible Wink

Probably the latter. The EU is a sentient being.
LOADING.READY.RUN

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 04:10:15 PM

LOL

There is definitely  a correlation between Bitcoin's price and the number of dinosaurs in this forum

Is that a Pimposaurus?

There's one thing about this pumposaurus I don't like: it isn't even 2000 USD tall! I'd prefer a log-pumposaurus Wink
dreamspark

Activity: 798

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 04:14:09 PM

The EU itself, I have it on good authority that it wants to protect the interest of the Euro and also the poor people of the EU who cant make and be responsible for their own investment decisions. Wink
sickpig
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 04:14:18 PM

LOL

Is that a Pimposaurus?

There's one thing about this pumposaurus I don't like: it isn't even 2000 USD tall! I'd prefer a log-pumposaurus Wink

in fact he used the wrong scale, he should have used the log one :-)
LOADING.READY.RUN

Activity: 133

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 04:16:34 PM

[...]

That's the point I was trying to make Wink
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 04:20:46 PM

Some 10-15 years ago a Ph.D. student of mine bought for her project a Sony camera that had a CD burner built-in and recorded images directly on small 3" CD-Rs.  (There was a short time window when that camera made sense, because flash memory cards had about the same capacity as those CD-Rs but were much more expensive.) She was running out of the original supply of CD-Rs, and could not find then in Campinas; so one day we happened to be in São Paulo we thought of checking at Sta. Ifigiênia.

When you buy anything in Brazil the store is supposed to give you a "fiscal note", an official serially numbered receipt, of which they keep a copy.  Those receipts are used by tax auditors to check whether the state sales tax is being paid.  Obviously street merchants and  stores selling contraband don't give no friggin' fiscal notes, especially for a small purchase like a box of blank CDs; but since we were paying with federal grant money we needed the fiscal notes, and moreover we had to pay with a check from the government account.  We had to walk the whole street, asking at half a dozen computer supply shops, until we found a store that had those 3" CD-Rs, accepted the check, and gave us a fiscal note.

While we were walking back, people started shouting "tax inspectors, tax inspectors" all over the place.  In ten minutes (no exaggeration) half the small shops in the entire street closed their doors, and all the sidewalk stalls had been hastily folded and thrown into vans that disappeared from view.   For, you see, they had spotted two odd-looking people entering random shops and asking to buy some trinket with a fiscal note -- what else could they be?

Just think how many children went hungry after your shopping spree
ag@th0s

Activity: 202

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 04:36:02 PM

So don't underestimate the fear people have of the tax authorities?  I don't think most bit-coiners do.  Aren't you undermining your own argument a bit - if half of *all the traders there* didn't want your dirty fiat because they were operating in the grey economy - what makes you think they won't be interested in cryptographically secure, potentially anonymous value transmission, whether thats BTC or something else.  Maybe you should get yourself a bitcoin and see what you can buy on the Rua Santa Ifigênia now Smiley
Colonel Panic

Activity: 110
Merit: 26

I do not have a Telegram or Skype account.

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 04:51:02 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nWWM8tTn84
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 05:00:42 PM

Explanation
Mythul

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 05:03:37 PM

LOL

Is that a Pimposaurus?

I think we need a much bigger dinosaur Wink
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 4457

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 05:13:30 PM

I'd prefer a log-pumposaurus

It would be too flat, like a crocodile.
Pages: « 1 ... 6415 6416 6417 6418 6419 6420 6421 6422 6423 6424 6425 6426 6427 6428 6429 6430 6431 6432 6433 6434 6435 6436 6437 6438 6439 6440 6441 6442 6443 6444 6445 6446 6447 6448 6449 6450 6451 6452 6453 6454 6455 6456 6457 6458 6459 6460 6461 6462 6463 6464 [6465] 6466 6467 6468 6469 6470 6471 6472 6473 6474 6475 6476 6477 6478 6479 6480 6481 6482 6483 6484 6485 6486 6487 6488 6489 6490 6491 6492 6493 6494 6495 6496 6497 6498 6499 6500 6501 6502 6503 6504 6505 6506 6507 6508 6509 6510 6511 6512 6513 6514 6515 ... 33303 »
  Print  

Jump to: