Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:01:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 [244] 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 ... 348 »
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox withdrawal delays [Gathering]  (Read 908381 times)
TheFootMan

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:18:55 AM

Ok, I'll bite.

They only have this money cause they are at the head of the chain -letter...its exactly like pirate@40
How is it exactly like pirate@40, that was clearly a scam from the get go.

when the chain breaks the last ones suck it up......so even you and me who got out a bit earlier are profiteering
Can that not be applied to any business that eventually goes titts up? If you invest in a company and you gain a healthy profit from speculating in stocks of that company, and then the company later goes bankrupt and all investors lose their money, would that not be the same?

on the backs of those who get nothing. And so is bitcoin rightfully in itself a ponzi as well, untill it has real world use besides
How is bitcoin equal to MtGox? If MtGox dies, bitcoin does not die.

defrauding people at the centralised unregulated exchanges.
While it's true that the market is unregulated, scams have also taken place in regulated markets. Just look at the Madoff investment scandal. It seems like regulation itself is not guarantee for things being done in a legit way.

None of those BTC riches was rightfully gained through saving -nvestment cause all profits only came from new money flocking into it.
And how did Apple stocks, Google stocks, Microsoft stocks or any other stock growing in value not grow in value because of new money flocking into it? While you could say that they have real product and services, bitcoin also has grown considerably and today there are several major commercial players, and trade is also increasing steadily. It's true there's been some bubbles, but there's also been bubbles in traditional markets. Anyone that chooses to participate in such a market, must also be able to face consequences when the bubble bursts.

Now the tide goes out and everybody sees that his wealth in btc is long squandered away.....Mt Gox as a market leader reflects

the real Marketcap. the early adopters want to get away with.

MtGox btc price is artificially lowered and does not reflect the current real value of btc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
itsunderstood

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

American1973

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:53:51 AM

To speak to the above, the poker analogy fits, since corporate business model is an ante-based "deal me in, bag of money" type situation.  Risky.  80% +/- small business fail?  Something like that?

Is a three card monty setup, a business whilst throwing cards?

I ask you this question: How is Goxcoin different from some new crapcoin being cryptsy mined or whatnot, unobtanium or whatever --no markets, no place to sell for fiat.

So GoxCoin perhaps means LTC will go to 120 USD per?  That suits me fine.  But, BTC sees LTC as a remora on its belly.  So, now the uber-blockchain has an even bigger remora, called Goxcoin Q1 2014.

Check out my prescient ATS thread from 2008: "Windows XP: End the Cyberwar, Open the Code Now!" http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread411978/pg1
itsunderstood

Activity: 364

American1973

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 05:44:16 AM

As far as the long game goes, surely lawyers are salivating in some sectors, we know that.

But...  Results for the planet?  No, that is not what lawyers do.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57603194-93/bitcoin-exchange-mt-gox-sues-for-return-of-$5m-from-coinlab/

[...]

In its counterclaim, the Tokyo-based exchange charged that its agreement with CoinLab was void because the Seattle-based startup violated the agreement by not registering as a money-transmitting business or money services business. As a result of this failure, Mt. Gox said it rescinded the agreement in March and seeks dismissal of CoinLab's lawsuit.

In addition, Mt. Gox claims that at the beginning of the partnership, nearly $12.8 million of customer accounts were transferred to CoinLab accounts. About $7.5 million was transferred back to Mt. Gox, leaving about $5.3 million of Mt. Gox funds "being wrongfully held by CoinLab," the exchange said in its complaint.

Check out my prescient ATS thread from 2008: "Windows XP: End the Cyberwar, Open the Code Now!" http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread411978/pg1
AustinHook2

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 08:08:13 AM

I see a few people still trying to buy up cheap bitcoin at MtGox.  I say to them, please please do not send MtGox any money.  They just don't don't deserve to be in charge of it.  If you want to speculate on the cheap Bitcoin there, at least find some way to send cash to the bitcoin owners there, pay them  ON THE SIDE, and let them cash out a bit that they may never get otherwise.   It should cost you the same.  I see there is already one broker that will help arrange it, but perhaps the community should get together to to find more safe ways for people to trade outside MtGox without enabling the  increasing of MtGox's horde.
sebastopol

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2014, 08:28:29 AM
Last edit: February 22, 2014, 08:42:04 AM by sebastopol

I'm willing to gamble and buy 10 BTC at the current price if anyone is interested. I could pay via SEPA, I just don't have a clue how to go about it so that nobody gets cheated.

Edit: since the price is going up: I meant $100 / BTC or lower depending on market. Anyone?
CoolStoryBro

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 09:01:13 AM

The thing that delayed my recognition for so long, is the fact that these guys have so much money already - why would they need to steal more? Any credible ideas?
I found this theory very interesting
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=474167.0
severance26

Activity: 70

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 10:45:18 AM

The banking limits aren't unbelievable- if you live in Japan. Its standard bureaucracy. And the 5% is likely not a withdrawal at all, but a fiat to fiat transfer through a regular bank which charges them for it (though there is obviously a percentage in it for them as well). And when a bank is forced to submit reports on incoming transfers over $10k USD (in the US) to regulatory agencies, they also aren't allowed to tell the customer they are doing so (this is a fact). So EVERYTHING is a delay EVERYWHERE.

What about SEPA withdrawals coming out from Gox's Polish bank? Why 6 weeks delay?

If reporting every transaction above $10k causes so much delay, why I can wire 50k EUR to MtGox and I get them credited in 2, 3 days max.? Why the huge delays affect only outgoing and not incoming transfers?

It doesn't add up. Other exchanges have no problems with "banking limits".

Sorry Rampion, didn't see your post in between the wholesale trolling on here.

To answer your questions..

1) I dont know much about the SEPA withdrawals, sorry. I did my homework on Japanese domestic transfers because they affect me. However the SEPA withdrawals are coming from a Japanese bank, with the intermediary bank being in Poland. There are restrictions, in Japan, about these kind of transfers. Normally, not even major corporations come close to these. Understand that Gox is exactly what no one is prepared for. Endless transfers of all types and in all sizes. They do more transfers in one day than most companies do in a year. The restrictions were loose until the phenomena that is Gox comes into the picture. Gox is the very reason such restrictions were put in place; to prevent sketchy transfers. You may find your bitcoin tinkerings innocent, but the bank sees a zillion transfers from a pseudonymous currency platform from a million people like you, or maybe not like you, maybe they really are criminals. But how to tell? Everyone's alarm bells are going off. Every once in a while, a transfer that people CAN connect to SIlk Road or whatnot comes up, how do you think the banks feel? They are supposed to be profiting off all these transfers but here law enforcement from multiple countries comes knocking. Which is why Mizuho stopped banking for them. You probably didn't know that if you weren't using domestic transfers. Well, they started banking through Japan Net Bank, but recently they changed branches within that bank as well. Why do you think that is? Banks only touch Gox to get a taste of the money; but then they realize its poison and cut off all ties, one bank branch at a time if need be.

When you work with bitcoin you realize just how SLOW the regular banking system is. And regulated. There are RULES, no shit! And about other exchanges... Um you mean the ones whose CEOs are unnamed and are located in Eastern European countries? I dunno much about others except Bitstamp, but if I recall, money coming out of them also takes time for processing. They aren't backlogged, okay. They don't operate in a country that cares much about money laundering, either.

You can view the regulation as a good thing or a bad thing. I see it as good personally, because I'm not into bitcoin to buy drugs. I think legitimacy is important. MtGox is TRYING to be legitimate. They don't HAVE to cooperate with governments outside of Japan, right? But they do. That's because even if Mark isn't a very good coder, he knows legitimacy is necessary for bitcoins widespread adoption and survival.

One more note about SEPAs. Banking in Japan is only on weekdays, and no holidays. So "6 weeks" is too vague. Use business days and keep in mind Japan, intermediary bank locations, and the terminus bank ALL have different banking days/holidays. Included in your 6 weeks are many days which are not any exchanges fault. Use business days and everything will make a lot more sense to you, promise.

2) The reporting I was referring to is affected by deposits going into US individual bank accounts. They are not limited to just bitcoin exchanges. Any time an individual receives a large wire transfer, banks do an obligatory reporting to (I forget which regulatory body atm) FinCen or one of those. Again, keep in mind that before bitcoin exchanges, there was a certain number of these for any given bank, and then volume increased considerably as people began looping large sums though bitcoin exchanges to arb off Gox. It seems simple to you, but from the outside no one can tell arbing from money laundering! And either way the reports are obligatory. Imagine some bankers face when he signs up some innocuous new company for a new relationship with them, and suddenly this company causes such reporting to increase tenfold. They have to pay a guy to do this checking. And maybe the guy is saying, "I have no idea where this cash is coming from, we can't keep track of it all and we are gonna have law enforcement on us like flies."

There could be similar reporting in other countries but again, not my forte. Either way, its not secret that MtGox is cooperating with American law enforcement and regulation in the hopes of getting a foothold back in America. This is why KYC/AML has been instituted to even withdraw bitcoins.

However its much easier to deposit money into Gox because KYC/AML has already been done by banks on their customers. In my case, I use JNB, and the transaction is quite literally instant, from making the transfer online, to it showing up in Gox. Thats because JNB is Gox's bank, and since in this situation there is no friction, the wonders of Japanese technological innovation get to take hold.. voila. Now I suppose if I tried to make 8000 transfers out of my account, there would be a problem; but I'm not. There are no limits for receiving transfers, only sending. And that makes sense; its all thats necessary to track the money, you don't need to report the transfer twice.

I know it seems ridiculous to many people, and probably some of the people I think are trolls actually BELIEVE Gox is busy stealing their money- because they are across the globe, they are helpless and feel the FUD. But I've been here for five years now, and had my mind blown countless times by pointless rules which must be obeyed unquestioningly. I could tell you stories but would go off-thread. Its frustrating and ridiculous. Suffice it to say, one single company (Gox) pressing a hundred different little rules to the max doesn't impress the Japanese government. The regulatory bodies/banks involved aren't thinking, "man maybe we should change some of this to streamline it, make it better, make a buck or two but still keep it safe." No, no. Haha. No, they are thinking, "what is this silly foreigner trying to do? He comes in everyday with a stack of transfers, and every day bugs us to process more and more... but the rules are the rules. Oh hey, its lunch time." That's right. They don't give a shit. They don't read the FUD on this thread, and if they did, they'd probably be even less inclined to help.

You are dealing with a company in Japan. This is not Slovenia. On the upside, MtGox has the potential to be a legitimate instutition like one in America might be if regulation goes through and someone creates a US exchange. Mark doesn't care about losing business now because he wants the longterm business that being a real company will provide. Sometimes basic things (like knowing who the CEO is!) is important. Right now all these speculators care about it getting their money as fast as possible. But to a company that wants to survive bitcoins childhood, there are real-world problems to deal with. Like laws.

For the record, this post is somewhat devil's advocate. I don't know what Mark is thinking. But in general I see a lot of people talking about Gox when they know nothing about Japan and how it works, and blaming Gox/Mark when they should actually be blaming this bureaucratic country. I've posted about using business days and not 'its been 5 weeks' as a measure of time for the past month, no one has done so. You aren't helping anyone by lacking clarity, it only makes people suspect you are a troll by adding to the FUD. If people used banking days, they'd realize that you can predict your withdrawal fairly accurately, domestic or SEPA. You just need to know how the system works.
alfabitcoin

Activity: 476

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:43:29 AM
Last edit: February 22, 2014, 11:55:34 AM by alfabitcoin

Severance26
I can agree with some of your points but let me ask you why mark is running such masive exchange in spite?
If he has those issues he really can not solve it, then excuse me but run exchange only in japan and for japanesse customers.
Mark want to operate big exchange in spite- that does not make sense to me.

Edit
And i agree with rampion post what follow.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:48:45 AM
Last edit: February 22, 2014, 06:29:10 PM by Rampion

Severance26: I'm sorry, but you got it wrong on many levels:

- big corporations DO more transfers than Gox on a daily basis. What about stock brokers? Forex exchanges? Wealth management businesses? Please, be serious.

- the Polish bank is not an "intermediary" bank. It is the main and only bank for SEPA deposits and SEPA withdrawals.

- that "shady exchange" located in "eastern europe" uses Unicredit, a MAJOR international bank. SEPA withdrawals take 2/3 days, not weeks. Big withdrawals too by the way, 5/6 figures no problem. And their volume is comparable to Gox.

- the name of its "unnamed CEO" is Nejc Kodric and that's public knowledge. Check his LinkedIn.

Again: all these delays just mean that Gox is in deep deep shit. Believing they are thieves is kinda stupid given their history, but believing that everything is OK and the risk is negligible is also terribly stupid and naive. Probably Gox is suffering LE harassment because of their past position as "the exchange" during the Silk Road time, probably they made bad choices and some mistakes too. Thinking all that is irrelevant "because they made SO much money in the past" is, again, incredibly naive.

severance26

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 12:07:20 PM

Just a quick note, surfing through my JNB acct online and guess what I found?

1日あたりの振込・送金限度額(初期設定金額300万円)を1万円単位で引き上げできます。

個人のお客さま    0 ~ 1億円    0 ~ 1,000万円
営業性個人のお客さま    0 ~ 1億円    0 ~ 1,000万円
法人のお客さま    0 ~ 1億円

$1mil per day (thereabouts with exchange rate)

Can anyone weigh in on this? The $64,000 question being, is this a big or small number for Gox for transfers in Japan?

It should be noted, I cannot find a limit on the NUMBER of transfers. Doubtless because, what normal human being would want to know? I'll post if I find it but I think I'm gonna have to make a phone call for information that random. Which'll have to wait til business hours on Monday...

Severance26
I can agree with some of your points but let me ask you why mark is running such masive exchange in spite?
If he has those issues he really can not solve it, then excuse me but run exchange only in japan and for japanesse customers.
Mark want to operate big exchange in spite- that does not make sense to me.

Thanks alfa. I hear what you are saying. I personally believe that once more exchanges (esp in the US) come about, MtGox will indeed become a primarily Japanese exchange. The reason its so international is because it was one of the first, and despite the complaints on this forum, it still has a lot of trust (or did until a couple weeks ago. its gotten bad press in the Times, CNNMoney, etc as of this latest fiasco).

But Mark is like anyone else. Greedy. Why serve just Japan when you can serve the world and get more money? And despite the major issues and doomsaying, people are still sending Gox their money! So, why should he stop? For good customer service? Apparently, he doesn't care. He is making money because he can, and everyone is giving him business because they are greedy too. Such is the way of things.
severance26

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 12:22:52 PM

Severance26: I'm sorry, but you got it wrong on many levels:

- big corporations a DO more transfers than Gox on a daily basis. What about stock brokers? Forex exchanges? Wealth management businesses? Please, be serious.

- the Polish bank is not an "intermediary" bank. It is the main and only bank for SEPA deposits and SEPA withdrawals.

- that "shady exchange" located in "eastern europe" uses Unicredit, a MAJOR international bank. SEPA withdrawals take 2/3 days, not weeks. Big withdrawals too by the way, 5/6 figures no problem. And their volume is comparable to Gox.

- the name of its "unnamed CEO" is Nejc Kodric and that's public knowledge. Check his LinkedIn.

Again: all these delays just mean that Gox is in deep deep shit. Believing they are thieves is kinda stupid given their history, but believing that everything is OK and the risk is negligible is also terribly stupid and naive. Probably Gox is suffering LE harassment because of their past position as "the exchange" during the Silk Road time, probably they made bad choices and some mistakes too. Thinking all that is irrelevant "because they made SO much money in the past" is, again, incredibly naive.

We can agree to disagree, neither of us having actual knowledge of the goings on of ANY of these companies. All of the companies you mentioned however aren't flooded with looping arbitration transfers like Gox was leading up to current mess. That being said, I don't have physical evidence, so...

About the Polish bank. Not sure what you mean exactly. Your first and second statement contradict. Mt. Gox is a company based in Japan. They send fiat to Europe via the Polish bank, from a Japanese bank called Japan Net Bank. If you live have an account with that Polish bank, I suppose you are right that it is incorrect to call it intermediary. However if you forget that it is not the only bank in the process, then you lose sight of the restrictions placed on Gox by Japanese banks. Get my drift?

As for the other exchange. Bitstamp? You know more than I. I thought that it WASN't known, maybe that was BTC-e though. Sorry. I don't use other exchanges much, I live in Japan. But the bank's size does not speak to their KYC/AML policies, either.

I'm not sure what you consider "deep shit" to be. But I'm not sure I disagree with you anyway. As I said, I took a devil's advocate stance. Thanks for correcting my mistake about Bitstamp.
zyk

Activity: 224
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 12:53:22 PM

Ok, I'll bite.

They only have this money cause they are at the head of the chain -letter...its exactly like pirate@40
How is it exactly like pirate@40, that was clearly a scam from the get go.

when the chain breaks the last ones suck it up......so even you and me who got out a bit earlier are profiteering
Can that not be applied to any business that eventually goes titts up? If you invest in a company and you gain a healthy profit from speculating in stocks of that company, and then the company later goes bankrupt and all investors lose their money, would that not be the same?

on the backs of those who get nothing. And so is bitcoin rightfully in itself a ponzi as well, untill it has real world use besides
How is bitcoin equal to MtGox? If MtGox dies, bitcoin does not die.

defrauding people at the centralised unregulated exchanges.
While it's true that the market is unregulated, scams have also taken place in regulated markets. Just look at the Madoff investment scandal. It seems like regulation itself is not guarantee for things being done in a legit way.

None of those BTC riches was rightfully gained through saving -nvestment cause all profits only came from new money flocking into it.
And how did Apple stocks, Google stocks, Microsoft stocks or any other stock growing in value not grow in value because of new money flocking into it? While you could say that they have real product and services, bitcoin also has grown considerably and today there are several major commercial players, and trade is also increasing steadily. It's true there's been some bubbles, but there's also been bubbles in traditional markets. Anyone that chooses to participate in such a market, must also be able to face consequences when the bubble bursts.

Now the tide goes out and everybody sees that his wealth in btc is long squandered away.....Mt Gox as a market leader reflects

the real Marketcap. the early adopters want to get away with.

MtGox btc price is artificially lowered and does not reflect the current real value of btc.

You are right capatalism- or better lets say the control of the money supply- in itself is a chain -letter where those at the printing presses

ripp-off the rest as they rule at their fingertips when the music stops and then grap all real assets of those who tried to be productive. Its

a complete scam.

BTC just is special as most of the community thought it to be ment for getting out of this greedy slavery !

And surely am hoping for peer to peer evolution after those centralised exchanges and the corrupted bitcoinfoundation get extinct !

Unluckily it seems that nobody get indicted in BTC world yet when stealing depositors blind.

Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 12:54:27 PM

Severance26: Gox has an European branch, registered in Warsaw. When you send a SEPA deposit to Gox you are sending the money to MtGox Poland Inc Sp.z.o.o, which is NOT a Japanese company but a polish one, with a bank account in a LOCAL bank. Mizuho or Japan NET are not involved at all in SEPA deposits and transfers.

zyk

Activity: 224
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 01:09:43 PM

Severance26: Gox has an European branch, registered in Warsaw. When you send a SEPA deposit to Gox you are sending the money to MtGox Poland Inc Sp.z.o.o, which is NOT a Japanese company but a polish one, with a bank account in a LOCAL bank. Mizuho or Japan NET are not involved at all in SEPA deposits and transfers.

And this account needs to be seized as early as possible if anybody wants to see some of the bankruptcy proceedings

as it will be emptied as the rest of the shell ---- if not by depositors than by the cronies and laywers.

Unbelievable that all accounts are still free to be grapped for everybody even for the disappeared Mark Shocked

donk4u
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 01:39:40 PM

The banking limits aren't unbelievable- if you live in Japan. Its standard bureaucracy. And the 5% is likely not a withdrawal at all, but a fiat to fiat transfer through a regular bank which charges them for it (though there is obviously a percentage in it for them as well). And when a bank is forced to submit reports on incoming transfers over $10k USD (in the US) to regulatory agencies, they also aren't allowed to tell the customer they are doing so (this is a fact). So EVERYTHING is a delay EVERYWHERE.

What about SEPA withdrawals coming out from Gox's Polish bank? Why 6 weeks delay?

If reporting every transaction above $10k causes so much delay, why I can wire 50k EUR to MtGox and I get them credited in 2, 3 days max.? Why the huge delays affect only outgoing and not incoming transfers?

It doesn't add up. Other exchanges have no problems with "banking limits".

Sorry Rampion, didn't see your post in between the wholesale trolling on here.

To answer your questions..

1) I dont know much about the SEPA withdrawals, sorry. I did my homework on Japanese domestic transfers because they affect me. However the SEPA withdrawals are coming from a Japanese bank, with the intermediary bank being in Poland. There are restrictions, in Japan, about these kind of transfers. Normally, not even major corporations come close to these. Understand that Gox is exactly what no one is prepared for. Endless transfers of all types and in all sizes. They do more transfers in one day than most companies do in a year. The restrictions were loose until the phenomena that is Gox comes into the picture. Gox is the very reason such restrictions were put in place; to prevent sketchy transfers. You may find your bitcoin tinkerings innocent, but the bank sees a zillion transfers from a pseudonymous currency platform from a million people like you, or maybe not like you, maybe they really are criminals. But how to tell? Everyone's alarm bells are going off. Every once in a while, a transfer that people CAN connect to SIlk Road or whatnot comes up, how do you think the banks feel? They are supposed to be profiting off all these transfers but here law enforcement from multiple countries comes knocking. Which is why Mizuho stopped banking for them. You probably didn't know that if you weren't using domestic transfers. Well, they started banking through Japan Net Bank, but recently they changed branches within that bank as well. Why do you think that is? Banks only touch Gox to get a taste of the money; but then they realize its poison and cut off all ties, one bank branch at a time if need be.

When you work with bitcoin you realize just how SLOW the regular banking system is. And regulated. There are RULES, no shit! And about other exchanges... Um you mean the ones whose CEOs are unnamed and are located in Eastern European countries? I dunno much about others except Bitstamp, but if I recall, money coming out of them also takes time for processing. They aren't backlogged, okay. They don't operate in a country that cares much about money laundering, either.

You can view the regulation as a good thing or a bad thing. I see it as good personally, because I'm not into bitcoin to buy drugs. I think legitimacy is important. MtGox is TRYING to be legitimate. They don't HAVE to cooperate with governments outside of Japan, right? But they do. That's because even if Mark isn't a very good coder, he knows legitimacy is necessary for bitcoins widespread adoption and survival.

One more note about SEPAs. Banking in Japan is only on weekdays, and no holidays. So "6 weeks" is too vague. Use business days and keep in mind Japan, intermediary bank locations, and the terminus bank ALL have different banking days/holidays. Included in your 6 weeks are many days which are not any exchanges fault. Use business days and everything will make a lot more sense to you, promise.

2) The reporting I was referring to is affected by deposits going into US individual bank accounts. They are not limited to just bitcoin exchanges. Any time an individual receives a large wire transfer, banks do an obligatory reporting to (I forget which regulatory body atm) FinCen or one of those. Again, keep in mind that before bitcoin exchanges, there was a certain number of these for any given bank, and then volume increased considerably as people began looping large sums though bitcoin exchanges to arb off Gox. It seems simple to you, but from the outside no one can tell arbing from money laundering! And either way the reports are obligatory. Imagine some bankers face when he signs up some innocuous new company for a new relationship with them, and suddenly this company causes such reporting to increase tenfold. They have to pay a guy to do this checking. And maybe the guy is saying, "I have no idea where this cash is coming from, we can't keep track of it all and we are gonna have law enforcement on us like flies."

There could be similar reporting in other countries but again, not my forte. Either way, its not secret that MtGox is cooperating with American law enforcement and regulation in the hopes of getting a foothold back in America. This is why KYC/AML has been instituted to even withdraw bitcoins.

However its much easier to deposit money into Gox because KYC/AML has already been done by banks on their customers. In my case, I use JNB, and the transaction is quite literally instant, from making the transfer online, to it showing up in Gox. Thats because JNB is Gox's bank, and since in this situation there is no friction, the wonders of Japanese technological innovation get to take hold.. voila. Now I suppose if I tried to make 8000 transfers out of my account, there would be a problem; but I'm not. There are no limits for receiving transfers, only sending. And that makes sense; its all thats necessary to track the money, you don't need to report the transfer twice.

I know it seems ridiculous to many people, and probably some of the people I think are trolls actually BELIEVE Gox is busy stealing their money- because they are across the globe, they are helpless and feel the FUD. But I've been here for five years now, and had my mind blown countless times by pointless rules which must be obeyed unquestioningly. I could tell you stories but would go off-thread. Its frustrating and ridiculous. Suffice it to say, one single company (Gox) pressing a hundred different little rules to the max doesn't impress the Japanese government. The regulatory bodies/banks involved aren't thinking, "man maybe we should change some of this to streamline it, make it better, make a buck or two but still keep it safe." No, no. Haha. No, they are thinking, "what is this silly foreigner trying to do? He comes in everyday with a stack of transfers, and every day bugs us to process more and more... but the rules are the rules. Oh hey, its lunch time." That's right. They don't give a shit. They don't read the FUD on this thread, and if they did, they'd probably be even less inclined to help.

You are dealing with a company in Japan. This is not Slovenia. On the upside, MtGox has the potential to be a legitimate instutition like one in America might be if regulation goes through and someone creates a US exchange. Mark doesn't care about losing business now because he wants the longterm business that being a real company will provide. Sometimes basic things (like knowing who the CEO is!) is important. Right now all these speculators care about it getting their money as fast as possible. But to a company that wants to survive bitcoins childhood, there are real-world problems to deal with. Like laws.

For the record, this post is somewhat devil's advocate. I don't know what Mark is thinking. But in general I see a lot of people talking about Gox when they know nothing about Japan and how it works, and blaming Gox/Mark when they should actually be blaming this bureaucratic country. I've posted about using business days and not 'its been 5 weeks' as a measure of time for the past month, no one has done so. You aren't helping anyone by lacking clarity, it only makes people suspect you are a troll by adding to the FUD. If people used banking days, they'd realize that you can predict your withdrawal fairly accurately, domestic or SEPA. You just need to know how the system works.

Blah blah blah you think anyone is going to read that wall of text?
hgmichna

Activity: 695
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:30:44 PM

Ah, a child of the Twitter generation raises his voice. They believe that everything can be expressed in 140 characters (which is probably true for their own thoughts). Wonder what they do when facing an entire book.

I read through the "wall of text". I do not agree with all of it, but all the contained thoughts could not be expressed very much shorter. Do keep the longer thoughts coming and ignore the people whose neuron network has already shrunk to Twitter size. Smiley
markjamrobin

Activity: 462

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:36:07 PM

Ah, a child of the Twitter generation raises his voice. They believe that everything can be expressed in 140 characters (which is probably true for their own thoughts). Wonder what they do when facing an entire book.

I read through the "wall of text". I do not agree with all of it, but all the contained thoughts could not be expressed very much shorter. Do keep the longer thoughts coming and ignore the people whose neuron network has already shrunk to Twitter size. Smiley

Wait, I got this:

Japan banking system work well, faster withdrawals there.
Much regulations, hard Gox move much money; irregular activity.
People don't calc banking days right; If did, could predict date of money arrival.

*204 Characters, and doesn't convey shit.

severance26

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 03:42:23 PM

Wait, I got this:
People don't calc banking days right; If did, could predict date of money arrival.

word but the whole time i was reading that, i thought you were just doing some doge meme.

"hard gox move much money, wow."
donk4u
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:24:28 PM
Last edit: February 22, 2014, 04:35:05 PM by donk4u

I think you're being unfair.  More likely it's people who are not native to English and doing their best.  That is my hope, at least.

Im native to english and your mom. I just don't feel like reading a monutain of text when it is becoming clearer and clearer that gox is full of crap at this point. Gox is the child coming up with more inane excuses about why they can't pay . Waiting for the cat ate my homework excuse next which would sound just as plausible as goxs multitude of other excuses to this point.
Alpaca Bob

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:27:56 PM

Wait, I got this:

Thanks! I mean that.

By the way people, Slovenia (hence, Bitstamp) is not located in Eastern Europe. It's in Southern Europe, right next to Italy. It's got Mediterranean beaches and shit.

The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks
Pages: « 1 ... 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 [244] 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 ... 348 »
  Print  

Jump to: