Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 06:49:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 181 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Klondike - 16 chip ASIC Open Source Board - Preliminary  (Read 435331 times)
BkkCoins (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 09:32:40 PM

I just saw that zefir was posting something about "sample" chips that get sent by the factory in May before the final chips. First I heard about this.

He said that he would distribute them to buyers in proportion to their order qty. I don't think he knows yet what qty of samples may be due.

So if anyone interested in my board has large chip orders with him you may be able to get some sample qty. in May. If so, it would be very, very, very helpful to try and arrange for those samples to be sent on to me for early board testing so that I can debug and once we know the board works, we can order a large batch in time for final chip deliveries.

BTW I'm moving the power connector down to the end and turning it so that a right angle connector could be used. A little better for those who want to stack boards.

dieguito

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 09:52:09 PM

I just saw that zefir was posting something about "sample" chips that get sent by the factory in May before the final chips. First I heard about this.

He said that he would distribute them to buyers in proportion to their order qty. I don't think he knows yet what qty of samples may be due.

So if anyone interested in my board has large chip orders with him you may be able to get some sample qty. in May. If so, it would be very, very, very helpful to try and arrange for those samples to be sent on to me for early board testing so that I can debug and once we know the board works, we can order a large batch in time for final chip deliveries.

BTW I'm moving the power connector down to the end and turning it so that a right angle connector could be used. A little better for those who want to stack boards.

Hi BkkCoins we bought with my partners 10K of chips so we will receive samples too. I will discuss with them if we can send one or two your way to help this community effort succeed.

Best wishes,
Dieguito
HjerterEss

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 09:52:13 PM

Is it possible to order both Avalon chips and PCB Board from you?
shibaji

Activity: 308
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 09:57:44 PM

+1
I would be interested in this too. It is hard for me to ship chips from US to Bangkok to get assembled. If OP offers completed boards for sale, I will certainly buy.
BkkCoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 10:53:21 PM

Hi BkkCoins we bought with my partners 10K of chips so we will receive samples too. I will discuss with them if we can send one or two your way to help this community effort succeed.

Best wishes,
Dieguito
That would be very helpful if possible. Thank you.

Not at this time. I don't have many chips on order - just for myself. Maybe later some arrangements can be made. A better choice may be to have boards shipped to someone to assemble closer to your location.

TheJuice

Activity: 841
Merit: 608

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 12:34:25 AM

Best wishes,
Dieguito
That would be very helpful if possible. Thank you.

Not at this time. I don't have many chips on order - just for myself. Maybe later some arrangements can be made. A better choice may be to have boards shipped to someone to assemble closer to your location.

I know it's very very early in this process, but I may be willing to help in the regard.
daemondazz

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 12:59:23 AM

Definitely interested too, and will to give a hand where I'm able.

Computers, Amateur Radio, Electronics, Aviation - 1dazzrAbMqNu6cUwh2dtYckNygG7jKs8S
stripykitteh
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 01:02:43 AM

Definitely interested too, and will to give a hand where I'm able.

Also interested.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:25:52 AM

Maybe for the Group Buy from Ragin that deal also might hold... if so you can get mine if I would get any of those development chips.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
salty

Activity: 562
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 09:19:25 AM

Maybe for the Group Buy from Ragin that deal also might hold... if so you can get mine if I would get any of those development chips.

I'll do the same if the opportunity arises.
someone42

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

Chris Chua

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 10:09:54 AM

Quote from: BkkCoins
I looked on heatsinkusa and could only see a $12.35 option for 4" wide cut to 4" length. I guess I didn't find the right one. Can you give me a link to the $5 one? I'd like to see and if it's right then I'll just tell people they could order those, though I think even cheaper options could turn up.

I see they have a 4" wide option with 2" high fins for $12. Maybe that is large if we want to stack them close together.

They also have 3.5 and 4.2" inch sizes with .75" high fins for about $4 and $5 respectively. If 3.5x4" is big enough, $4.36 is pretty cheap.

Those 2" high heatsinks are quite beefy. The site claims a thermal resistance of 1.4 degrees C/watt for a 3"x4" section (presumably with natural convection). With such a thermal resistance, it looks like you can dissippate the heat of 16 chips with a slow/quiet fan, or perhaps no fan at all.
BkkCoins (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 10:30:35 AM
Last edit: April 30, 2013, 10:48:46 AM by BkkCoins

I looked on heatsinkusa and could only see a $12.35 option for 4" wide cut to 4" length. I guess I didn't find the right one. Can you give me a link to the $5 one? I'd like to see and if it's right then I'll just tell people they could order those, though I think even cheaper options could turn up.

I see they have a 4" wide option with 2" high fins for $12. Maybe that is large if we want to stack them close together.

They also have 3.5 and 4.2" inch sizes with .75" high fins for about $4 and $5 respectively. If 3.5x4" is big enough, $4.36 is pretty cheap.

Those 2" high heatsinks are quite beefy. The site claims a thermal resistance of 1.4 degrees C/watt for a 3"x4" section (presumably with natural convection). With such a thermal resistance, it looks like you can dissippate the heat of 16 chips with a slow/quiet fan, or perhaps no fan at all.
I think that one is very good but a bit expensive. They actually rate it at 1.4deg/W for a 3" section. So if it were 4" it should be a bit better at 1.05. With 35C air and 32W we'd be looking at 1.05*32 + 35 = 66C. Even with a small fan it would be good. However, I'd prefer to see something cheaper than $12.35. It's crazy that the most costly single part involved is a chunk of metal. When I have time I'll do some extensive searching but if other want to scour the web for something suitable I'd welcome suggestions. We're looking for something 1.05C/W or less for about $5 or less.

edit: I just looked again. I don't think it's a problem to use a slightly over size heat sink. Their 4.8" one that would cost only $3.72 and provide 1.69C/W. Not quite as good but probably fine with a small fan or moderate air flow. 1.69*32+35 = 89C. So a fan is needed but may not have to spin hard.
There will be a 3 pin fan controller on board and temp sensor. The sensor won't be close to the ASICs (but in the middle between them) so will need some calibration to set an appropriate fan speed range.

loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 10:35:28 AM

I think that one is very good but a bit expensive. They actually rate it at 1.4deg/W for a 3" section. So if it were 4" it should be a bit better at 1.05. With 35C air and 32W we'd be looking at 1.05*32 + 35 = 66C. Even with a small fan it would be good. However, I'd prefer to see something cheaper than $12.35. It's crazy that the most costly single part involved is a chunk of metal. When I have time I'll do some extensive searching but if other want to scour the web for something suitable I'd welcome suggestions. We're looking for something 1.05C/W or less for about $5 or less.

BkkCoins ,

Do not forget that heatsinks are heavy (with big volume weight also). As long as we are 100% sure about board size 10x10 i will look forward to alibaba and i will try to find a heatsink supplier having in mind 1+ month for delivery (to cut delivery costs as much as possible). If we need them fast it may turn out that delivery cost alone will be more than heatsinks
I will share my findings about hetsinks here also.

PS: that is why i am still considering mineral oil as an option. It is bit messy but it is just nonesence for me to pay 10+USd for a pice of metal

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
turtle83

Activity: 322

Supersonic

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 11:12:08 AM

PS: that is why i am still considering mineral oil as an option. It is bit messy but it is just nonesence for me to pay 10+USd for a pice of metal

You would still need a way to cool the oil. after days(or hours) of continuous operation, oil would start getting hot...

loshia
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 11:15:38 AM

You would still need a way to cool the oil. after days(or hours) of continuous operation, oil would start getting hot...
I know dude Smiley

One big radiator with decent pump will do it. My air conditioner is blowing constantly already Smiley

I still do think that mineral oil for 20+Pcb will be better solution in terms of price and cooling but i do not want to go over that shit unless i am not forced to

If we do find cheap heat sink supplier in alibaba and we do order upfront with cheapest shipping i do believe that we can get appropriate heatsinks for 5-6USD top which will be ok. After holidays i will sent a dozen of mails to random heatsink suppliers to check this and will report results. However before doing this i would like to have final bkkcoins confirmation for pcb size

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 04:52:49 PM

Chips are coming from China. China to Philippines is a short distance. Philippines to Thailand is even shorter. Thailand to you? Depends on where you are I guess.

Knecke

Activity: 140

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:10:16 PM

Remember up to 3 W/chip isnt that much, a passive cooled heatsink something in the range of 1 °C/W is more than enough, and with a fan everthing should be cool as ice.

calc:
- 10 chips ~ 30 W
- ambiance Temp ~ 20°C
= 50° C without a fan and it will be lesser with a fan.

I will make a FEM simulation with a profile heatsink, and publish the result.
volosator

Activity: 272

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:45:30 PM

What if a chip burns out? How do I replace a chip without damaging the rest of the board?
Will board support overclocking the chips?

salty

Activity: 562

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:54:57 PM

What if a chip burns out? How do I replace a chip without damaging the rest of the board?
Will board support overclocking the chips?

Your local appliance repair electrician will be able to do it or put you in touch with a local SMT guy who can.

I'm interested in the overclocking aspect too, I would imagine a socketed clock chip will be the way to experiment with this. I dare say there will be threads popping up on here when we get to that point...
loshia
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 06:03:36 PM
Last edit: April 30, 2013, 06:55:00 PM by loshia

Remember up to 3 W/chip isnt that much, a passive cooled heatsink something in the range of 1 °C/W is more than enough, and with a fan everthing should be cool as ice.

calc:
- 10 chips ~ 30 W
- ambiance Temp ~ 20°C
= 50° C without a fan and it will be lesser with a fan.

I will make a FEM simulation with a profile heatsink, and publish the result.

I know Knecke .
But such a heatsink with 1 °C/W is tick and expensive about 20 USD for 10x10 board. Make calculations for 100+ boards. I will be glad to see your caclcs and if you can post some links to cheapest one which will do the trick for 10x10 board
10X

PS. I am in EU a link to Eu site is mostly welcomed

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 181 »
  Print  

Jump to: