Bitcoin Forum
June 06, 2024, 02:16:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... 132 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC-e hacked ??  (Read 199686 times)
YesLOST

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 11:47:11 AM

Indeed, sometimes they fail miserably in political situations against e.g. Russia. But I don't see that happening here. BTC-E was banned in Russia long ago (hence the popularity of the .nz domain). I believe they were on BTC-E.ru and moved to .com and supposedly to Bulgaria because of this. And Russia is still busy banning access to exchanges today. Why change stance here and now? If they've never had any issues with Yandex, I'm not sure it follows that they are cozy with the Russian government. Agreed, it seems likely that their bank accounts in Mongolia are untouched, so if there was not much to freeze in their 3rd party Okpay/Moneypolo accounts, that might explain the lack of mention of funds being seized by the feds.

But even if most of their fiat and crypto are intact...and absent some highly political intervention by e.g. Russia, how can they survive under constant threat from the FBI? Operate like the Pirate Bay did and constantly shift domains? How can they manage to pay people fiat? I suppose shell company payment processors work in the poker world (to some extent), maybe it could still work for BTC-E. It just seems far fetched to me at this point, without some miracle intervention like you mentioned. That would be interesting as hell, though.

You know libertyreserve never had the possibility to directly withdraw money and I think it is a good business model. Why btce needs fiat to withdraw? It would be a light version of btce, but nobody could do anything against it. And I guess withdrawals would be possible somehow anyway, of course with a higher fee.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2017, 11:47:12 AM

Well, I'm not saying there is a good outcome here. I don't think there will be. But I also don't think Vinnik is an owner, nor has access to BTC-E's storage. If you read the Russian forums, those who have been in contact with the owners and admins over the years -- none of them recognize this Vinnik. I don't think the owners would step foot in Greece, either.

But this might all be irrelevant. What matters is that the feds want to shut down BTC-E. What the feds want, they usually get

This is not always the case

Sometimes they fail miserably. They wanted Snowden extradited, and they had to back off eventually. If the Russian government steps in, all those bald eagles may have to fuck off instantly. Say, Putin through his minions like Greff allows the owners to restart the exchange under whatever name in Russia or in some friendly country or territory (like Abkhazia or Mongolia). In fact, there were certain rumors that Btc-e exchange is (was) strongly affiliated with Sberbank, the biggest Russian state-owned bank. For example, Btc-e has never had any issues with Yandex.Money (at least, as long as I remember), the online payment processing service owned by Sberbank. Further, fiat transactions seem to have been processed via Mongolian companies (banks) where Uncle Sam has no footing altogether. So it all mostly comes down to safety of the crypto wallets and whether the FBI managed to seize any coins

Indeed, sometimes they fail miserably in political situations against e.g. Russia. But I don't see that happening here. BTC-E was banned in Russia long ago (hence the popularity of the .nz domain). I believe they were on BTC-E.ru and moved to .com and supposedly to Bulgaria because of this. And Russia is still busy banning access to exchanges today. Why change stance here and now? If they've never had any issues with Yandex, I'm not sure it follows that they are cozy with the Russian government. Agreed, it seems likely that their bank accounts in Mongolia are untouched, so if there was not much to freeze in their 3rd party Okpay/Moneypolo accounts, that might explain the lack of mention of funds being seized by the feds.

But even if most of their fiat and crypto are intact...and absent some highly political intervention by e.g. Russia, how can they survive under constant threat from the FBI? Operate like the Pirate Bay did and constantly shift domains? How can they manage to pay people fiat? I suppose shell company payment processors work in the poker world (to some extent), maybe it could still work for BTC-E. It just seems far fetched to me at this point, without some miracle intervention like you mentioned. That would be interesting as hell, though.

I certainly know about the overall negative attitude of the Russian government toward Bitcoin in the past years. But if we are to get things as straight as possible, Bitcoin has never been banned in Russia. All these years it remained in gray zone entirely. But recently this attitude seem to have started to change dramatically, so the question is now about legalizing Bitcoin in Russia (regardless of Btc-e), at least to a certain degree. In this manner, protecting the money of Russian citizens (which were the most numerous group of traders at this exchange) may be the step in that direction, especially given the current political circumstances and tensions rising between the US and Russia

Anyway, we can only wait and see right now

Error 522

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 11:55:09 AM

For several years now I have considered America the enemy of freedom.

This just adds another brick in that wall.

The world will awaken.

doctorkesh

Activity: 12

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 11:55:35 AM

Hi,

I hope everyone here is okay.

BTC-e domain has been shut by the US gov.  

Anyone can go to any web anonymization website and just enter btc-e.com.  They will then be taken to the same FBI domain seizure page as shown above.  

http://webanonymizer.org/

http://notsharingmy.info/web-anonymizer/

https://2ip.io/anonim/

Enter btc-e.com - get the result.

NOW about BTC-e.  

BTC-e has two other exchange websites, both of which are unaffected (yet) and they are still making money from it.  xBTC-e and Exmo!  

Anyone can check that very easily.   Just type in btc-e.ru in the address box.  It will take you to exmo.me directly.

On a positive note, BTC-e should defend itself.  I have read the whole warrant word by word.  Most of the arguments used by the prosecutors are useless and can be defended quite easily even by a lay person without the use a lawyers.  The fine is something that can take years to settle if the case goes to court, during which time BTC-e can easily rebuild itself.  Even Polo and other exchanges do not ask for too much personal identification or verification.  They are not following the same AML and KYC laws either.  They basically just need a valid email address.  BTC-e can come back and set a daily limit like Polo on withdrawals.  They can also ask all members to send in their verification documents.  However, with more than a million users, I don't think it will be that easy.  But then they can legitimise their business and follow the AML and KYC laws.  Alternatively, they can just stop doing business with North American customers.

There are still many possibilities.  

Hope is a good thing.  

But then too much hopium can be poisonous.  Smiley

I wish everyone all the best.

From the BTC-e trollbox

doctorkesh
bitjoin

Activity: 1372
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 11:58:16 AM

Looks like the US gov want some of their money. They will have to pay up and block US customers to even have a chance of coming back.  This is provided they haven't been involved with hacking mtgox.  Doesn't look good.

THE BEST IN SPACE
AUTO-COMPOUNDING DEFI 3.0
PROTOCOL ON BSC
▀█▄▄▄                                                                      ▄▄▄█▀
▀██
████▄▄▄                                                          ▄▄▄██████▀
▀▀███
██████▄▄▄                                              ▄▄▄█████████▀▀
▀▀████
████████▄▄▄                                ▄▄▄████████████▀▀
▀████████████████▄ ▄▄                  ▄▄ ▄████████████████▀
████████████████████▄▄          ▄▄████████████████████
▀█████████████████████        █████████████████████▀
▀████
███████████████▌      ▐███████████████
████▀
▀▀█████████
██████████████████
█████████▀▀
▀████████████████████████████████▀

▀███████████████████████████▀

▀██
█████ ███    ███ ███████▀
▀▀███   ██    ██   ███▀▀
.....5 0 1 , 6 5 2 %   A P Y......
|     TWITTER     |    TELEGRAM    |     DISCORD     |
....JOIN NOW....
Odrec

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 12:01:28 PM

Can't foreign investors sue the Justice Department in the US if they don't get their money back? Afterall they're taking money from people outside the US following laws that are not their laws. This is basically like stealing since most people in BTC-e were not doing anything wrong basically.

JoenN

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 12:04:24 PM

Fuck USA  Fuck Trump
bj9k

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2017, 12:07:31 PM

Coindesk still not writing an article about btc-e domain seizure.
exander77

Activity: 32

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 12:08:50 PM

Can't foreign investors sue the Justice Department in the US if they don't get their money back? Afterall they're taking money from people outside the US following laws that are not their laws. This is basically like stealing since most people in BTC-e were not doing anything wrong basically.

Are there any EU citizens? If we don't get our money back, we should sue US.
NewWorldCoiner

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

Saved you from a scam? Send me some BTC!

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 12:14:06 PM

Very good article.

As I see it, wallets & server infrastructure are intact.

Vinnic is by no means owner, so team is intact.

They just need a new base of opperations.

they can return as coins-only exchange and replace USD with USDT or similar. With some limit on withdrawals at first of course.

If they chose to Run away with everything is another matter.

Guys, that article should not be trusted at all. ZRcoin is a scam. They use shell companies to shift the money round, and this guy saying he knows Vinnick, and he's not the owner? It may be true, but he's clearly involved. He's on the hook for it. And a scammer who needs his money laundered, vouching for the accused? Come off it.

https://medium.com/@ico_dna/zrcoin-ico-whats-inside-a3d5e79b59d3

"1. ZrCoins are issued by Lagata Logistics Limited (registered 21 October 2015 by Mikhail Grishin from “Sankt-Peterburg, Russian Federation”) which transfers the money to
2. Lagata Investments Limited, registered in Cyprus, 2012 (reg. number 309275) which, in turn, lends it to
3. OOO “Zircon”, registered in Russia 20 Feb 2017. This company is jointly owned by Mr. Merzlyakov, Mr. Sychev, Mr. Panov and Lagata Investments Limited."

Mr Weiner's twitter feed from last month should give you an idea of how to connect the dots.  https://twitter.com/BryceWeiner/status/870531628468011008

mv_USA_devnull

Activity: 34

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 12:15:39 PM

The behaviour of the btc-e.com domain (better: its DNS) and hence the routing of worldwide webbrowsers to different servers is absolutely normal and (technically, by the DNS system) as expected.

It depends on your providers DNS servers or, if you are in a private network (a company for example), on the DNS server of this private network.

Here is the latest IP and SOA Record Lookup from a DNS Server (Internet Provider) located in Switzerland:

C:\some\dir>nslookup btc-e.com
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  fba2:cdf7:58cc::1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    btc-e.com
Addresses:  104.23.132.83

C:\some\dir>nslookup -type=soa btc-e.com
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  fba2:cdf7:58cc::1

btc-e.com
        primary name server = brad.ns.cloudflare.com
        responsible mail addr = dns.cloudflare.com
        serial  = 2025273536
        refresh = 10000 (2 hours 46 mins 40 secs)
        retry   = 2400 (40 mins)
        expire  = 604800 (7 days)
        default TTL = 3600 (1 hour)

Here are the same lookups but delivered from a DNS Server located in Germany (Digitalocean VPS, Frankfurt am Main):

user@linux-fra1-01:~/# nslookup btc-e.com  
Server:         8.8.8.8
Address:        8.8.8.8#53

Name:   btc-e.com
Address: 74.208.15.160

user@linux-fra1-01:~/# nslookup -type=soa btc-e.com
Server:         8.8.8.8
Address:        8.8.8.8#53

btc-e.com
        origin = ns1.btc-e.com
        mail addr = root.btc-e.com
        serial = 2017072702
        refresh = 10800
        retry = 3600
        expire = 604800
        minimum = 86400

As you can see, the primary (origin) changed from brad.ns.cloudflare.com to ns1.btc-e.com. This means that DNS servers around the world will now try to contact brad.ns.cloudflare.com every 10000 seconds (refresh) for 7 days (expire).

So, until 7 days after the primary changed it's normal that different locations are routing https and http to different servers.

Btw: The US takedown notice image (banner.png) on http://btc-e.com contains an ICC profile timestamp. It seems it has been created on 2017:07:26 14:38:27
mv_USA_devnull

Activity: 34

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 12:29:00 PM

Are there any EU citizens? If we don't get our money back, we should sue US.

Switzerland here.

I was thinking about sueing USA for illegal seizing of money and for operating a criminal organization in Switzerland.

USA has a lot of government offices located in switzerland and other countries that allow them to operate their criminal organization.

And they even use nicknames like "secret service", hence they are clearly guilty!

Switzerland has to arrest every employee of every US government office located in Switzerland. They have to seize all of their private assets and sue them for operating a criminal organisation.
doctorkesh

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 12:34:22 PM

Are the owners of BTC-e.com from UK?HuhHuhHuh?

https://www.whois.com/whois/btc-e.com

Domain Information
Domain:
btc-e.com
Registrar:
Instra Corporation Pty, Ltd.
Registration Date:
2011-06-17
Expiration Date:
2024-06-17
Updated Date:
2017-07-28
clientTransferProhibited
serverDeleteProhibited
serverTransferProhibited
serverUpdateProhibited
Name Servers:
74-208-15-160.sinkhole.shadowserver.org
Registrant Contact
Name:
C/O Private Ranger Limited
Organization:
Registrant of btc-e.com
Street:
Level 31 Vero Centre, 48 Shortland Street
City:
Auckland
State:
Auckland District
Postal Code:
NZ
Phone:
+64.98011234
Email:
email@privateranger.com

A company called Private Rangers Limited.  Same details are here

https://opencorporates.com/companies/nz/4475698

All the relevant names and UK addresses from last year are here...

2 names - Glenn Eric Hayward and Desliegh Jean Jameson as directors.  

Important documents (which includes addresses) for public viewing uploaded here as well in pdf format.

https://opencorporates.com/companies/nz/4475698

Or am I looking at things wrongly?

I live in UK.  For those living in UK, we should communicate with each other and try to get our money back if BTC-e does not come back online.  They can still change their website/domain name and return from a different country.  They already have an established clientale and also can continue with their business....
exander77

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 12:38:10 PM

I think we should put together all of those living in EU.
YesLOST

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 12:39:25 PM

Yes, it shows you didnt read the thread here.

But, just go on shadowserver.org - maybe you will understand.
doctorkesh

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 12:42:01 PM

Yes, it shows you didnt read the thread here.

But, just go on shadowserver.org - maybe you will understand.

I have absolutely no idea what is going on.  Can you please guide me.  what am i supposed to look at on shadowserver.org?  Thanks
smartcrypto

Activity: 317
Merit: 12

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 12:52:56 PM
Last edit: July 29, 2017, 01:08:25 PM by smartcrypto

is this the btc-e hot wallet?

https://www.walletexplorer.com/wallet/BTC-e.com

i noticed it's still receiving payments.
exander77

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 01:10:45 PM

Guys

I lost a lot , like most of you and I am very sad about it:(((
We can talk about it a lot in here , but it may not be very useful.
I am making a Telegram group. Lets join it and make a community and try to find a way to follow up this problem to get our money back.

https://t.me/BTCecommunity

Channel is muted. Unmute it, I have been using telegram for some time.
exander77

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 01:27:33 PM

Guys

I lost a lot , like most of you and I am very sad about it:(((
We can talk about it a lot in here , but it may not be very useful.
I am making a Telegram group. Lets join it and make a community and try to find a way to follow up this problem to get our money back.

Channel is muted. Unmute it, I have been using telegram for some time.

I did. Also I am not very good at telegram, if somebody wants I can make him admin. This group is created so we can talk about they way to follow up easily.Please share with friends.

Still cannot post, if you need help, make me an Admin.
ahmedjadoon
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 29, 2017, 01:28:34 PM

There is already a Telegram Group with 200+ members. No need for new one.
https://t.me/btcecom_eng
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... 132 »
  Print  

Jump to: