Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:48:56 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC-e hacked ??  (Read 199692 times)
manchester93

Activity: 251
Merit: 257

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 09:35:41 PM

Before the raid, I sent some money from coinbase to BTC-e. They asked if the money was going to another exchange and which one. I did not lie and told them the money was going to BTC-e. This information is obviously now in the hands of the Feds or soon will be.

No, it won't be. Sending funds to BTC-e wasn't illegal. Coinbase has no legal requirement to inform the feds. And they have shown that they care about customer privacy.

My question is this: How fucked am I for using an unlicensed exchange? I didn't even know it was illegal to US customers to use BTC-e.

Not fucked at all. It's not illegal. It was illegal for them to serve you as a customer with inadequate AML/KYC and without money transmitting licenses.

I have significant holdings of cryptocurrency that I will be cashing out at some point in the future. Is all of my money now guilty of a crime and therefore subject to civil asset forfeiture laws? I have no desire to launder the money or break any additional laws, I intend to pay my taxes at the end of the year. If I even have to pay a fine for using BTC-e I'd have no problem with that. But my real fear is that one day I wake up and my bank account is frozen and I am facing federal indictment for my ignorant mistake... What can I do to get right with the law and keep my hard earned fortune?

edit/follow-up question: Was it even illegal for me to use BTC-e? Or was it only illegal for BTC-e to serve me?

Stop freaking out. You're all good! If you have funds on BTC-e (or will have funds on the new site), just be very careful about not sending those coins directly back to a licensed exchange like Coinbase. Those coins could be subject to civil asset forfeiture. Get some clean coins through another exchange/service first.
erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 09:44:12 PM

Stop freaking out. You're all good! If you have funds on BTC-e (or will have funds on the new site), just be very careful about not sending those coins directly back to a licensed exchange like Coinbase. Those coins could be subject to civil asset forfeiture. Get some clean coins through another exchange/service first.

I think you would find there would quickly be a class actions against the seizure if people started reporting they were getting raided.
Most BTC-e customers are not from the US.

letsbereasonable

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 09:53:10 PM

Before the raid, I sent some money from coinbase to BTC-e. They asked if the money was going to another exchange and which one. I did not lie and told them the money was going to BTC-e. This information is obviously now in the hands of the Feds or soon will be.

No, it won't be. Sending funds to BTC-e wasn't illegal. Coinbase has no legal requirement to inform the feds. And they have shown that they care about customer privacy.

My question is this: How fucked am I for using an unlicensed exchange? I didn't even know it was illegal to US customers to use BTC-e.

Not fucked at all. It's not illegal. It was illegal for them to serve you as a customer with inadequate AML/KYC and without money transmitting licenses.

I have significant holdings of cryptocurrency that I will be cashing out at some point in the future. Is all of my money now guilty of a crime and therefore subject to civil asset forfeiture laws? I have no desire to launder the money or break any additional laws, I intend to pay my taxes at the end of the year. If I even have to pay a fine for using BTC-e I'd have no problem with that. But my real fear is that one day I wake up and my bank account is frozen and I am facing federal indictment for my ignorant mistake... What can I do to get right with the law and keep my hard earned fortune?

edit/follow-up question: Was it even illegal for me to use BTC-e? Or was it only illegal for BTC-e to serve me?

I don't think you will have problems if you transfer coins to Coinbase. Why would you? Coinbase has not had any problems with the gov't.
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 10:05:26 PM

I think you would find there would quickly be a class actions against the seizure if people started reporting they were getting raided.
Most BTC-e customers are not from the US.

i doubt it, since such class actions would fail. forfeiture law is such that the standards for seizure are very low, no criminal conviction or even charges are required, and the burden of proof is on the defendant. since the coins would have been sent by btc-e, the customer has no way to prove their origin.

this is just about coinbase customers; it doesn't matter where btc-e customers are based. coinbase is licensed in the US, and they are subject to US laws, including judicial orders regarding civil asset forfeiture.

if anything is clear from the past 15-20 years watching law enforcement in the USA, it's that there is no way to stop civil asset forfeiture. you can only prevent it by properly hiding your assets. (in other words, i agree----do not send any coins linked to btc-e to places like bitstamp or coinbase)

illinest

Activity: 454
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 11:42:19 PM

I see what you mean. It's a hefty price to pay though.

I've come to realize that anything held in an exchange account can evaporate overnight. 55% back (especially from a fiat holder's perspective) is a godsend.

This is very good news!

I decided to wait claiming the 55% until it was more clear what would be the status regarding verification.

As I only plan to withdraw coins, I think I should be fine waiting.

They previously said no verification was required to trade. I am concerned about this answer, though:

"Do I need to undergo verification in order to start trading on a new site?" If the balance of the account on the new site is replenished in koin, then no. If in fiat, then yes.

Does that mean that if you don't take the refund now, and you have your fiat balance transferred to the new site, that you must verify?
Retired

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2017, 12:16:12 AM

I've come to realize that anything held in an exchange account can evaporate overnight. 55% back (especially from a fiat holder's perspective) is a godsend.
I never keep anything on exchanges for that reason. However trading requires having a minimum balance to avoid missing good opportunities, and I don't blame people for that.
Retired

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2017, 12:16:21 AM

They previously said no verification was required to trade. I am concerned about this answer, though:

"Do I need to undergo verification in order to start trading on a new site?" If the balance of the account on the new site is replenished in koin, then no. If in fiat, then yes.

Does that mean that if you don't take the refund now, and you have your fiat balance transferred to the new site, that you must verify?
I think that's what it means.
TheMafia2

Activity: 4

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 12:41:32 AM

Has anyone seen this? Lets hope it's not going to affect this...

https://cointelegraph.com/news/russian-authorities-arrest-three-men-for-large-scale-illegal-bitcoin-sales
erk

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 12:46:49 AM

What's it got to do with BTC-e which was not in Russia?

Or are you just trolling?
TheMafia2

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 12:54:51 AM

Not trolling.. I thought BTC-E was in Russia / Russia based?? (And the US servers and fund in transit were seized )
erk

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 12:58:44 AM

Not trolling.. I thought BTC-E was in Russia / Russia based?? (And the US servers and fund in transit were seized )
If BTC-e was in Russia, do you really think the government would have allowed the FBI to seize the servers?
They might as well take Snowden whilst they were at it. Get real!

TheMafia2

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 01:07:18 AM

If BTC-e was in Russia, do you really think the government would have allowed the FBI to seize the servers?

Where are they based then? Antarctica? And the admins are Aliens?

I thought the people running the show were Russian, and their servers where in the US.

I have also read that they have servers in Russia now or something with the new exchange.

Not sure why the hostility?
aaron25177

Activity: 35

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 02:26:10 AM

No one will have fiat in new site.  You will have coins and fiat tokens.  The question is whether the fiat token counts as fiat.   I think they are only saying if you deposit or withdrawal fiat, then you will need to be verified.  Still waiting for clarification though
erk

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 02:27:09 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzlWh0w73Kw

Vinnik
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 06:12:49 AM

This is very good news!

I decided to wait claiming the 55% until it was more clear what would be the status regarding verification.

As I only plan to withdraw coins, I think I should be fine waiting.

Quoting their website:

What do I need a verification for?
If you plan to deposit and withdraw fiat, the verification in required.

Will I have to pass the verification on the new platform to withdraw coins?
No.
MAbtc

Merit: 508

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 07:09:02 AM

No one will have fiat in new site.  You will have coins and fiat tokens.  The question is whether the fiat token counts as fiat.   I think they are only saying if you deposit or withdrawal fiat, then you will need to be verified.  Still waiting for clarification though

They said there will be no conversions once the new site is launched. That means if you held fiat on BTC-e, that some will be returned as "USD" and some will be returned as "USDET." That's what it looks like from the token tab as well.

It's pretty obvious by now that they intend to offer fiat trading/deposits/withdrawals. My gut says that doesn't seem sustainable, but billions of dollars are laundered every day. So, why not? If they can get some minimal level of fiat processing through whatever shady third party payment processors, perhaps some confidence can return. After all, the BTC-e code economy, I believe, was magnitudes larger than the actual fiat deposit/withdrawal volume of the site. Time will tell.
BlockChains

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 01:20:25 PM

Hey, has anyone received a refund since Sep 6?
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2017, 06:28:41 PM

I entirely agree with you

Even if they had placed the servers somewhere in Russia, they would have been quickly seized by the Russian FSB itself rather than the FBI. Btc-e owners seem to be from Russia, and now they have to stay in Russia pretty much like Snowden has. If they travel abroad somewhere, they will be caught just like Vinnik was, then extradited to the US soon thereafter, and serve a solid term in an American prison. I don't really know whether it is good or bad that the owners are now sort of "travel banned"

erk

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 10:24:40 PM

Even if they had placed the servers somewhere in Russia, they would have been quickly seized by the Russian FSB itself rather than the FBI. Btc-e owners seem to be from Russia, and now they have to stay in Russia pretty much like Snowden has. If they travel abroad somewhere, they will be caught just like Vinnik was, then extradited to the US soon thereafter, and serve a solid term in an American prison. I don't really know whether it is good or bad that the owners are now sort of "travel banned"

Why would the Russian FSB want to seize BTC-e servers? What crime was committed in Russia?

What makes you think the BTC-e owners live in Russia, do you know who they are?

squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 10:54:48 PM

Why would the Russian FSB want to seize BTC-e servers? What crime was committed in Russia?

What makes you think the BTC-e owners live in Russia, do you know who they are?

BTC-e is banned in Russia, like most Bitcoin exchanges. Russians cannot access the .com domain, which is why they used the .nz domain. In fact, BTC-e was originally hosted on a .ru domain; they changed to .com (and supposedly moved operations to Bulgaria) when the Russian government targeted them.

Insiders like Penek and several people over the years who have suggested they know the owners' identities from the launching days of the site have suggested they are Russian. (This was in the context of whether Vinnik was an owner and whether the owners ever would have set foot in Greece -- the answer to both questions is no).

Pages: « 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 »
  Print  

Jump to: