Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:03:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Religious beliefs on bitcoin  (Read 22354 times)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 08:59:07 AM

We have tablets like the one in Star Trek, i suppose you now believe that Star Trek might be true?

Star Trek had teleporters before tablets. False prophecy?

I bought a 3D printer over 10 years ago (yes early adopter I know it's, still an expensive brick and all) but describing it to people 10 years ago I would relate it to the Star Trek replicator. 

Im an agnostic and even I know the prophecy is communicators, replicators, tablets, teleporters, then its true.
Most people still tend to think so, they can't understand that a 3D printer is very different from a normal printer. Talk about printing out your own stuff, are you crazy Shocked

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AliceWonder

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 11:27:03 AM

I introduced bitcoin to a friend and they started talking about how the bible predicts a currency take over and its the start of the Revelation.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

You know, a one world currency is an interpretation - it doesn't actually say it.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 03:46:10 PM

step-father was a very religious, bible-thumping, violent alcoholic, who made hating religious people easy.
I think being a violent alcoholic would kind of make him not a Christian, although am I understand you correctly that:
1. You met a someone who claimed to be Christian
2. This person was bad
Therefore
All Christians are bad
3. Christians can be hypocrites and being Christian doesn't automatically make one a good personn
4. A lot of Christians are hypocrites
5. OMG A WHOLE LOT of Christians are hypocrites and just downright assholes. Especially ones in power.
6. Being a christian does apparently make you somewhat of a hypocrite, and it's possible to use christianity  as an excuse to be an asshole.
legitnick

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 03:52:38 PM

Lol quoting a bible scripture? Might as well quote beauty and the beast probably more truth to that.

5 BITCOIN RAFFLE GIVEAWAY
"I dont lift" - Lord Furrycoat
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 03:56:35 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2013, 05:35:27 PM by Rassah

Also, Rassah, you mentioned that you felt offended because God forgives people without consideration of the victim of the crime, this is because in committing a crime someone has offended 3 entities:
1. A Holy and just God
2. The victim
3. The law
One may have forgiveness from you and God, and yet still rightfully go to jail, and people may still ask for forgiveness from God, with the realization that the they have not been given forgiveness from the victim.

So... why did god have to sacrifice himself to himself on a cross to forgive us? And in a way that wasn't even much of a sacrifice, since he knew he would be resurrected and come to sit with himself a few days later...
neurobox

Activity: 220

Getting too old for all this.

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 04:40:20 PM

Also, Rassah, you mentioned that you felt offended because God forgives people without consideration of the victim of the crime, this is because in committing a crime someone has offended 3 entities:
1. A Holy and just God
2. The victim
3. The law
One may have forgiveness from you and God, and yet still rightfully go to jail, and people may still ask for forgiveness from God, with the realization that the they have not been given forgiveness from the victim.

So... why did got have to sacrifice himself to himself on a cross to forgive us? And in a way that wasn't even much of a sacrifice, since he knew he would be resurrected and come to sit with himself a few days later...

You have to understand what death is... In God's presence, all is sustained. Without, all is subject to death and decay. God, the absolute authority, cannot justly tolerate disobedience therefore the wages of sin is death. Christ did not sin, and yet was subject to death. He was forsaken that dark day, as far as his human frame could tell. It was an infinite injustice, yet by it we are "in" him eternally. He was made responsible for our sin, bearing the consequences so that all who are in him could be spared. The passover atonement was established as a pattern for thousands of years prior, and was absolutely necessary for anyone to be able to come before God, as we do now. He was the lamb of God, and from our angle, is all of God that we can see, God with Us.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 05:41:58 PM

You have to understand what death is... In God's presence, all is sustained. Without, all is subject to death and decay. God, the absolute authority, cannot justly tolerate disobedience therefore the wages of sin is death. Christ did not sin, and yet was subject to death. He was forsaken that dark day, as far as his human frame could tell. It was an infinite injustice, yet by it we are "in" him eternally. He was made responsible for our sin, bearing the consequences so that all who are in him could be spared. The passover atonement was established as a pattern for thousands of years prior, and was absolutely necessary for anyone to be able to come before God, as we do now. He was the lamb of God, and from our angle, is all of God that we can see, God with Us.

So, take the ancient superstitious tribal practice of declaring/blaming all evils upon a goat, taking the goat outside the village, and slaughtering it ("scapegoating"), replace goat with human for a dash of human sacrifice, and tada?
Plus, Christ, being god, knew he would be put up on a cross, and knew he would be resurrected... unless he wasn't god? Actually, yeah, wait, I'm confused. He is part of the holy trinity, and knew he would be sacrificed, yet he thought god has forsaken him? Did he lose his magic god powers on the cross?

Also, did you just say that god has committed infinite injustice?
neurobox

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 05:56:28 PM

So, take the ancient superstitious tribal practice of declaring/blaming all evils upon a goat, taking the goat outside the village, and slaughtering it ("scapegoating"), replace goat with human for a dash of human sacrifice, and tada?
Plus, Christ, being god, knew he would be put up on a cross, and knew he would be resurrected... unless he wasn't god? Actually, yeah, wait, I'm confused. He is part of the holy trinity, and knew he would be sacrificed, yet he thought god has forsaken him? Did he lose his magic god powers on the cross?

Also, did you just say that god has committed infinite injustice?

The father/son dynamic is crucial to sorting this stuff out in a logical manner. Of course God of the Universe couldn't wholly incarnate as a small child, but a human born without sin, walking in full obedience and with the full measure of God's spirit, could be as clear a picture of God as a human can behold, and the effects of his day to day life would profoundly shape history, before and after, IMHO. EDIT: Further, he was raised up the right hand of the throne, in eternity, which is why he could say, "before Abraham was 'I AM." EDIT2: Yes this creates a time quandary. The Bible is full of them. Either God is sufficient to solve them, or your God is not big enough.

You're going to love this. It's by sin that death entered, and by death affecting Christ who was without sin, death itself will be judged and destroyed. In the eternal, it is justified by its ends, but the injustice of it belongs to the temporal anomaly known as death.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 07:38:16 PM

You're going to love this. It's by sin that death entered

Wasn't it by god placing a forbidden tree in easy reach of Adam and Eve, while knowing full well that the two can't tell the difference between good and bad, that sin and death entered?
neurobox

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 08:15:22 PM

You're going to love this. It's by sin that death entered

Wasn't it by god placing a forbidden tree in easy reach of Adam and Eve, while knowing full well that the two can't tell the difference between good and bad, that sin and death entered?

Yep. It speaks volumes about the way we work. You're right, for them, to be mislead was a naive mistake, but it's a mistake the elect will never make again. From God's perspective, it's the eternal outcome that matters most.

It's a story of the human condition vs. God.

Look at it simply: Benevolent God creates free-willed, finite being. Finite being cannot grasp God in entirety, misreads intentions, rebels. This is a predictable, possibly inevitable, pattern which apparently had happened even among the highest angels, in that one sought to exalt itself above it's creator, and God justly dropped it down into the temporal, where it would eventually be destroyed, along with those under it.

The result, approaching infinity, is where sin, death, and rebellion from God will have all been played out, shown as worthless, removed from the equation, and every knee will bow. He will have a great multitude that both trusts him and will not betray him, even if he gives them vastly greater responsibility than simply tending a garden.

He's got an eternal existence to consider, and you're blaming him for doing what it takes to work around our finite capacity, to what end?
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 09:30:21 PM

Sounds like he's pretty bad at this whole "being a god" thing. One regrettable mistake after another  Tongue
neurobox

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 09:51:36 PM

Sounds like he's pretty bad at this whole "being a god" thing. One regrettable mistake after another  Tongue

Not A god, The God. He's not in a position to cater to everybody's idea of what He ought to be. My whole point was that nothing he's done was a mistake, it all reflects his circumstances and all serves a good purpose in the end.
semaforo

Activity: 728

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 10:11:03 PM

Truth stands out clear from falsehood.

When the Roman empire made christianity the official religion, they needed some way to legitimate staying in power. The centralized empire was already falling apart, but the declaring Jesus(peace be with him) to be God incarnate and the establishing his passing of authority to his apostles which began the priesthood and established a chain of authority by which rulers, by being approved by the Bishop of Rome (the pope), could legitimate their position as rulers.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 10:11:31 PM

Not A god, The God. He's not in a position to cater to everybody's idea of what He ought to be. My whole point was that nothing he's done was a mistake, it all reflects his circumstances and all serves a good purpose in the end.

So, he made an angel that became Satan, humans that would commit original sin, and all the pain and pestilence and sinners in the world on purpose? Then why do we need forgiveness if it was all his fault?
neurobox

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 10:53:02 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2013, 11:04:47 PM by neurobox

Sounds like he's pretty bad at this whole "being a god" thing. One regrettable mistake after another  Tongue

So, he made an angel that became Satan, humans that would commit original sin, and all the pain and pestilence and sinners in the world on purpose? Then why do we need forgiveness if it was all his fault?

Try that defence with Him, what do you think he'll tell you? Where were you to tell him he's doing it wrong? What if he's working out the best possible configuration of the universe, the misery we see is the inevitable birth-pain of something much better, and though the Earth "is his footstool," he still went to great pains to show compassion to those who could receive it?

You go to lengths to reduce the equation until it's utterly materialistic (read: carnal, temporal). How can one explain God that way?
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 11:51:38 PM

How can one explain God that way?
Good point so I tried pantheism

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
semaforo

Activity: 728

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 03:29:55 AM

Just alittle reminder- this thread is about bitcoin. I know it's easy to confuse bitcoin and the Most High, what with bitcoins splenderous glory and all, but bitcoin was created by Satoshi,  Satoshi was created by his parents who were created by the chain of evolution on earth which was created by the force of gravity pulling cosmic dust together which was created by... yeah pretty much whatever logical explanation or word we try to use to describe this is going to fall short. There have been many saints- if you want to know about this force that holds everything together you can look at what they have to say... Buddha, Mohammed, Jesus, peace be with them... Rumi, Hafiz, for the lyrically inclined, or stories about St. Francis, or the books of Ibn Arabi, the Tao, the Zen teachers, and so on... I always found these interesting ways of exploring the final frontier which is even vaster than space- within.
    Seek and you will find! Peace!
desired_username

Activity: 877
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 03:41:22 AM

Having read comments of the religious nuts here, one starts to wonder when will they disappear for good? Cheesy

Tekkna

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 04:16:23 AM

Also I would disagree that Christianity leads to hypocrisy,  I suppose you might say that by having perfection as a standard, all Christians are inherently hypocrites. However that would not be hypocrisy, hypocrisy is hiding behind the bible and using to your end instead of God's, holding to parts of the bible you like, and ignoring the rest. I'm sorry that you have had bad experiences with Christians, however that does not excuse your stereotyping. I have heard people say all black people are bad just based on their experience with a few black people, you seem to be using the same strain of logic.

Judging by this thread, athiests are the most intolerant, hateful, and irreverent types of people to have ever walked the face of the earth, however I do not generally judge based on a vocal minority.

It's actually funny, 90% of arguments against Christianity are just basic theological questions.

So, if you have a lot of "why" questions, may I recommend Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem, or Google for that matter.

Having read comments of the religious nuts here, one starts to wonder when will they disappear for good?
The death of Christianity has been forecasted since it's inception.

BTC: 15Yb897j2Yrbk1GU5Uwwhg5PFBMXeUAmhS  | I sell $5 Amazon Gift Codes | I also build websites

Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 05:48:37 AM

Having read comments of the religious nuts here, one starts to wonder when will they disappear for good? Cheesy

Like the Romans adopted Christianity, it'll happen when the FED adopts Bitcoin, the new religious vogue will be satoshiasim.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  

Jump to: