Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:40:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: :  (Read 70878 times)
wallet.dat

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 04:45:10 AM

Hmm.  Interesting.  Perhaps I should cancel my sell order and just hold on to my BTC for the time being.

"MOOOOOOOM! THE MEATLOAF!!! F**K!"
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 01:14:23 PM

Hmm.  Interesting.  Perhaps I should cancel my sell order and just hold on to my BTC for the time being.

I don't know. I have done some more testing and right now it looks like it could be this way for a while. I have been holding, but now I am thinking that it could actually be more productive to join the bots and systematically take advantage of the small daily fluctuations.

This sucks for people who don't know how to run a bot...like me.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 01:45:02 PM

Don't know how to run a bot? Be a bot!

i am satoshi
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 02:36:02 PM

I can't compete with bots.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 06:12:21 PM

It is fun to learn new skills.

True.  However, I don't even have a clue where to begin.  Any suggestions?

proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 06:43:02 PM

It is fun to learn new skills.

True.  However, I don't even have a clue where to begin.  Any suggestions?

Well, I have been eyeballing Aricie lately, and will probably be giving them a go once they have had a chance to shake things out a bit.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=32484

Interesting, thanks.  Though, I have to say, with all the stuff going on with exchanges and cloud wallets, I'm seriously considering pulling all my BTCs into my own securely backed up wallets.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 12:30:50 AM

Hopefully we will see more competition in that arena.  Centralization can lead to vulnerability.  Disasters happen.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 09:23:50 AM

So much for "difficulty follows price... with a lag"  Embarrassed

Mousepotato
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 09:38:30 AM

So much for "difficulty follows price... with a lag"  Embarrassed
It does, although it may not be the way you wish. As long as it is profitable to mine the difficulty will continue to increase, even if the price is falling.
wallet.dat

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 10:50:45 AM

So much for "difficulty follows price... with a lag"  Embarrassed
It does, although it may not be the way you wish. As long as it is profitable to mine the difficulty will continue to increase, even if the price is falling.
Yeah, that's what we'd call "price moves in the opposite direction of difficulty". I really don't think price has that much to do with difficulty and vice versa.  The exchange market seems to have a mind of it's own, regardless of what the difficulty is.

"MOOOOOOOM! THE MEATLOAF!!! F**K!"
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 12:52:37 PM

With 7200 new coins generated every day with a matching trade volume, we can only hope miners are patient. While prices rising, miners would be right to hold, but their confidence is heavily tested on the way down. Casual day traders are afraid of the market and recent chaos is hardly attractive to first time buyers. It's up to extant holders to buy more at these bargain prices.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
fastandfurious

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 07:33:13 PM

It appears that a contingent of traders has decided that $/BTC should track the DJI or some indicator very similar to DJI. For instance, this is something that could be driving a bot trading strategy, and such a bot will have to periodically re-balance in order to continue with the strategy without going illiquid.

Based on this observation I would expect $/BTC to seek an equilibrium approaching a scaled multiple of DJI. To arrive at that multiple I would use price averages from about June 16, 2011 to present, as this seems to be the point at which $/BTC started tracking pretty closely with the DJI. But I am pretty certain that this strategy has a shelf-life, as attempting to hold a peg like that is ultimately unsustainable.

You don't know what you are talking about, there is no correlation between DJI and Bitcoins, you are just seeing what you want to see.
fastandfurious

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 07:51:50 PM

It appears that a contingent of traders has decided that $/BTC should track the DJI or some indicator very similar to DJI. For instance, this is something that could be driving a bot trading strategy, and such a bot will have to periodically re-balance in order to continue with the strategy without going illiquid.

Based on this observation I would expect $/BTC to seek an equilibrium approaching a scaled multiple of DJI. To arrive at that multiple I would use price averages from about June 16, 2011 to present, as this seems to be the point at which $/BTC started tracking pretty closely with the DJI. But I am pretty certain that this strategy has a shelf-life, as attempting to hold a peg like that is ultimately unsustainable.

You don't know what you are talking about, there is no correlation between DJI and Bitcoins, you are just seeing what you want to see.

True, there is no natural correlation.

It is completely the result of the systematic strategy of a trading contingent that has been in effect since about June 16, 2011. The data doesn't lie...

The data doesn't lie because you will always find correlation between what ever you want to find a correlation for, for a shorter period of time. Once again you will not find a clear correlation between bitcoins and DJI for longer period of time, that we in finance call, a "real" correlation. Don't even bother following it. Bitcoins have a fundamental ground that have other parameters that you should look for. One clear correlation is cost of mining and price, start looking there.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 08:11:12 PM

They might not influence each other while still being both influenced similarly by the same external factors

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
TiagoTiago

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 08:32:55 PM

I was just trying to point out that even if there is no logical cause/effect between two sets of data, they might still be correlated; "might" being the keyword.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Newton

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2011, 10:35:47 PM

Well....

DJI down for a lot of reasons now in the news.

BTC down because (a) mybitcoin and bitomat.pl losses were extraordinary and should make anyone lower their current market value, and (b) potentially those stolen coins are flooding the market.

Both markets have really clear, real world drivers which are coincidentally driving the price down.
netrin

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 05:05:37 PM

Could all of these correlations simply demonstrate the huge influence of the dollar rather than these assets to each other?

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
netrin

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 05:43:03 PM

Then I misunderstand your reference to silver. Bitcoin leads the market by 24 hours? (04 August New York lunch time $42 - $39)

S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 06:07:16 PM

Silver indeed often leads other markets like stocks, but you can't only look at short term correlations.

Indeed, this year, Silver topped before the nasdaq.

TiagoTiago

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 11:51:54 PM

Did anything big happen during or previously to those periods where there was a temporary correlation?

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  

Jump to: