Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:38:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][TAG] TAGMining.Com is now the official pool of Tagcoin!  (Read 45613 times)
ehalvers

Activity: 513
Merit: 500

Crypto ehalvers

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 01:45:40 PM

Up all night trying to figure out BAMT in order to avoid having to go get windows.

Anyone know why my miner just opens up and closes?

Gigabyte 280x

ASrock H81 Pro BTC

Intel Celeron 2.8 Ghz

BAMT 1.3

2g of RAM

and 8g USB

I'm sure its in my conf, I am a complete linux noob.

Haven't been able to compile/make/wtf you have do to run things in this OS.

any help would be appreciated, thanks!

█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒            
         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓        
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓     
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   
   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒                 ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓  
 █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                      ▓▓▓▓▓▓ 
 ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▒     ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓        ▓▓  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓          ▓▓▓▓▓      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
  ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                      ▓▓▓▓▓▓ 
   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                 ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓  
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   
         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓        
            █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒
Fishcoin
      ▄█▄
    ▄█████▄
  ▄█████████▄
  ███████  ██
  ███████████
  ▀█████████▀
    ▀█████▀
      ███
    ▄█████▄
  ▄█████████▄
  ███▀   ▀███

▄█▄
    ▄█████▄
  ▄█████████▄
  ███████  ██
  ███████████
  ▀█████████▀
    ▀█████▀
      ███
    ▄█████▄
  ▄█████████▄
  ███▀   ▀███
Decentralized Network
 Tokenized Incentive    
 Interoperable Tools       

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
24Kilo

Activity: 672
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 02:02:32 PM

Definitely something in your cgminer.conf file... Vesper is the expert on Linux/BAMT... but I learned enough to know that I am not a Linux hero... so I use file manager instead of command line.

I burn a copy of BAMT1.2 or 1.3 onto a brand new USB... start and let the BAMT boot-up... use file manager to find... etc/bamt/cgminer.conf(I think)... right click... then click open... I very, very carefully make the changes needed... pool, user, password and any change to the actual parameters... making sure I do not lose any commas, brackets, quotes, etc and etc... when done... click save... then restart mining through the BAMT control options in the start menu... wait until the terminal closes... then open a terminal and type - sudo screen -x cgminer - to open the cgminer screen... and that is a much as I know!!!

I have 8 rigs running on BAMT... I really like it.

Hope that helps.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 02:05:27 PM

The 2nd GPU is cooler than the first one too. Also, my Seasonic 1050 watts PSU is silent. I don't know what's wrong with yours, you better have it checked out if the noise is bothering you. Maybe the fan is hitting some plastic or paper or something is stuck.

I should get my risers next week, so, I'll be able to plug in 4 cards. Still waiting for the store to get my 5th GPU. And, just because I ordered the risers, I went ahead and told him to include one of those ASRock BTC motherboards for my next rig. (or I get another GPU and move 6 of them to the ASRock.)

I'm a bit ecstatic I even managed to get 492 kh/s out of a non-x 270. I did notice that after about an hour, I was starting to get rejects or invalids.

When the risers come in, either the temps should go down, or the fan speed should go slower. (I set the fans to 100% during the tweaking; it was audibly noticeable.)

@ehalvers, I don't know. I just ran the latest BAMT I downloaded from the litecoin forums. Then edited the conf and took out the gpu-related settings (and put in my own pool credentials.) Rebooted the thing, and it started mining.

Let me try and help you, this is almost exactly what I did, because I could not remote desktop log in (no gui mode) and I didn't bother plugging in its own keyboard. The monitor was just to take a peek at what stupid dog splash screen this version of BAMT had. hahahahahaha!

Initial configuration needs to be done by editing the /etc/bamt/cgminer.conf

nano /etc/bamt/cgminer.conf

Delete all the lines that start with "gpu-" such as:

"gpu-engine" : "1000",
"gpu-powertune" : "20",
"gpu-memclock" : "1250"

Why? So it runs stock.

Also delete the line that says "scrypt", this one:

"kernel" : "scrypt",

You will be using sgminer, and it doesn't do anything except scrypt. If you have an older version or using cgminer, then this line is needed. The fork author forgot to take out this little detail, but it's mentioned in the thread or the reddit.

When you’re done, save the file and restart the mining process with:

/etc/init.d/mine restart

To view the cgminer output and make interactive changes, run:

screen -ls

Note the number you find next to the CGMiner process. “Attach” to that screen with the command (replacing 8213 with the number your screen output reported).

screen -r 8213.cgminer

Oh yah, you connect to it from another computer. After I got the rig starting up on its own, I took out the monitor and now it's completely headless: no mouse, no keyboard, no monitor, no hard drive (just the USB flash drive), no case!

Awesome!

Hope that helps!

Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 02:31:37 PM

@vesper,

I read this comment on reddit:

[–]Sprite160 1 point 2 days ago
R9 270X I squeezed my three up to 503 Khash each last night at 77 degrees. No HW errors. Going to play some more today.

It's this thread:
http://www.reddit.com/r/litecoinmining/comments/1s6g4p/if_youre_running_an_r9_gpu_please_leave_your/

Ok, get to work. hehehehehe! Time to beat the half megahash mark on our 270 / 270Xs.

Tomorrow, I'll run my 2 GPU rig for a good 8 hours. It's currently located in my office, so I can't keep it running 24/7 just yet.

vesperwillow

Activity: 616

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:33:38 PM
Last edit: January 28, 2014, 03:49:03 PM by vesperwillow

Up all night trying to figure out BAMT in order to avoid having to go get windows.

What do you mean, "opens up and closes"?

@vesper,

I read this comment on reddit:

[–]Sprite160 1 point 2 days ago
R9 270X I squeezed my three up to 503 Khash each last night at 77 degrees. No HW errors. Going to play some more today.

I've hit 500 peak before but it never stayed. I wish he'd left his settings to see what he did, and to know if it was a peak or an average.

RE BAMT 1.3

Newer isn't always better. The main reason 1.3 was released was to included the latest AMD drivers for some R9 cards, and it includes sgminer. This doesn't mean it'll provide you the best hash or most reliable system, because as some are finding out on the BAMT thread, some R9 cards perform better/more stable, with the older drivers. I also question why the author decided to put a dogecoin flash screen in BAMT 1.3. FWIW it's possible to install any mining software you want on BAMT (cgminer, bfgminer, sgminer, etc).

Here's a quick "what I know" breakdown on the versions:

Version / Compatibility / Comments

1.1 - Almost All - Great-to-Excellent for the 7900 series or older cards, known for solid stability. Comes with cgminer 3.1.1, but manually updating cgminer to 3.4.3 makes it even better.

1.2 - 6xxx/7xxx, Some R9 - Excellent for the 7000 series or older cards; Works well with some R9 cards. Comes with cgminer 3.7.2.

1.3 - Some Old / Some R9 - This was released specifically for R9 cards, may not work with others. It's been noted in the BAMT thread that not all R9 cards benefit from this due to driver issues, and might instead run better with 1.2. Comes with sgminer 4.0.0

Basically what I would do is find your "best" settings on a card, and try them across all 3 versions. You might find a card runs better in one version than another.

24Kilo

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:42:54 PM

BAMT 1.3 comes with sgminer 4.0.0... I have been staring at it for the past few hours...
vesperwillow

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:48:49 PM

BAMT 1.3 comes with sgminer 4.0.0... I have been staring at it for the past few hours...

Thanks for the correction. I knew it was .0.0, but was guessing on the main version.. haha

24Kilo

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 03:51:56 PM

I have rigs on BAMT now... 7 on 1.2 and 1 on 1.3... the oddball would run stable on 1.2... no matter what I did... popped a 1.3 USB stick and it has not complained in hours... still needed Vesper's special sauce and .bin file to get it to run will though!!!
ehalvers

Crypto ehalvers

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 11:30:58 PM
Last edit: January 29, 2014, 12:07:25 AM by ehalvers

What do you mean, "opens up and closes"?

Almost like some of the settings are not correct in the .conf

I'll mess with it a little more tonight and take some of your suggestions and test them out.

I would like to use sgminer, as that is what I have been using on my windows computer and it seems to give me 10-20 more kh per cards.

I'll try a fresh install of 1.3 and just try to change the .conf as carefully as possible. Also need to figure out how to get sgminer running in general lol.

As I said earlier Linux is greek to me. I feel like it should be a lot easier then I'm making it  Huh

Thanks for the help! I hope all goes well this time.

EDIT: Alright got the miner showing up but now after I type /etc/init.d/miner restart I get:

Stopping mining process...: mine..cgminer api failed...
Starting mining process...: minestart_mining: starting mining processses
..munin..GPU 0

Then nothing happens.  Cry

█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒            
         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓        
         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓        
            █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒
Fishcoin
      ▄█▄
    ▄█████▄
  ▄█████████▄
  ███████  ██
  ███████████
  ▀█████████▀
    ▀█████▀
      ███
    ▄█████▄
  ▄█████████▄
  ███▀   ▀███

▄█▄
    ▄█████▄
  ▄█████████▄
  ███████  ██
  ███████████
  ▀█████████▀
    ▀█████▀
      ███
    ▄█████▄
  ▄█████████▄
  ███▀   ▀███
Decentralized Network
 Tokenized Incentive    
 Interoperable Tools       
vesperwillow

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 11:59:58 PM

If you want to try it manually and see what errors exist, or why it fails to load, go to the command prompt and do this:

cd /opt/miners/cgminer
./cgminer --conf /etc/bamt/cgminer.conf

That will let you see what (if anything) errors/fails upon startup. Provided you're loading cgminer. I'd imagine it's about the same for sgminer.

ehalvers

Crypto ehalvers

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 12:24:39 AM

Anyone think it would be easier to start mining on a clean install of ubuntu? Started with that but couldn't figure out how to compile anything or run anything or whatever you do in linux.

Gonna have to start scrounging the internet for someone who doesn't skip a step....cause I feel like every guide I have looked at is either missing something or I am just a completely inadequate to be trying to mine on linux lol.

█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒            
         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓        
         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓        
            █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒
Fishcoin
      ▄█▄
    ▄█████▄
  ▄█████████▄
  ███████  ██
  ███████████
  ▀█████████▀
    ▀█████▀
      ███
    ▄█████▄
  ▄█████████▄
  ███▀   ▀███

▄█▄
    ▄█████▄
  ▄█████████▄
  ███████  ██
  ███████████
  ▀█████████▀
    ▀█████▀
      ███
    ▄█████▄
  ▄█████████▄
  ███▀   ▀███
Decentralized Network
 Tokenized Incentive    
 Interoperable Tools       
ny2cafuse (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

HODL for life.

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 01:01:54 AM

Anyone think it would be easier to start mining on a clean install of ubuntu? Started with that but couldn't figure out how to compile anything or run anything or whatever you do in linux.

I love, love, love linux... but I hate linux.  I'd much rather install windows on a computer here and there to mine with.  You don't even need to activate it.  As long as it starts up, it will mine.  Now, if you're running a farm... BAMT or linux all the way.  If you're really good, install linux on a live, persistent flash drive, and then make an image of the drive and use it on the other computers.  Or... use BAMT lol.

But I'm rolling deep with windows miners right now, so to each their own.

Peeps:

Also... if I've done any business with anyone here, can you please update my trust rating with our deals?  I will do the same in return.

Thanks!

-Fuse

Community > Devs
vesperwillow

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 01:49:28 AM

Gonna have to start scrounging the internet for someone who doesn't skip a step....cause I feel like every guide I have looked at is either missing something or I am just a completely inadequate to be trying to mine on linux lol.

You'll spend over an hour compiling things, and that's if your machine is fast and you know what you're doing  (or you follow tutorials), and there's no guarantee it'll work with the drivers you compile. I've done it 4 times, and never liked the results.

BAMT is the quickest solution, works out of the box. If you follow what I suggest and ignore the BAMT forum instructions, you will be mining in 2 minutes. Basically:

* Burn BAMT onto a USB stick
* Boot it up
* Do nothing but wait

Within about a minute, your machine should start mining by itself with absolutely no other changes. This shows BAMT works with your cards. If it doesn't work, then it's not compatible with your setup. Try another version of BAMT (1.1, 1.2, 1.3). One should work. If it doesn't work by doing this, something is wrong, either a strange hardware compatibility issue or something. BAMT works 99.7% of the time on all hardware.

Pro tip, if this machine is just mining, disable everything in BIOS the machine won't use. Kill SATA, Serial Ports, etc. You need USB and LAN obviously.

Once you know it does work, the only thing that's left is to put your pool information in, customize GPU settings, etc. cgminer.conf holds those. There's more customization which can be done, but this is just to get you up and running.

It's also not a guarantee, but typically you'll see 5-20kh faster results per card with linux-based setups because there's no-to-lower overhead on the graphics side. Windows setups have easier undervolting.

ehalvers

Crypto ehalvers

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 02:00:21 AM

SOLVED!!!

Thanks for your help guys, I finally figured it out.

Decided to throw up the white flag with BAMT and went back to my clean install of Ubuntu.

From there I scoured google for a decent guide and found one that was posted a few days ago specifically for sgminer. Followed it step by step making sure I didn't miss anything and bam, 280x going at a stable 750 kh/s  Grin

█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒            
         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓        
         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓        
            █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒
Fishcoin
      ▄█▄
    ▄█████▄
  ▄█████████▄
  ███████  ██
  ███████████
  ▀█████████▀
    ▀█████▀
      ███
    ▄█████▄
  ▄█████████▄
  ███▀   ▀███

▄█▄
    ▄█████▄
  ▄█████████▄
  ███████  ██
  ███████████
  ▀█████████▀
    ▀█████▀
      ███
    ▄█████▄
  ▄█████████▄
  ███▀   ▀███
Decentralized Network
 Tokenized Incentive    
 Interoperable Tools       
vesperwillow

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 02:03:00 AM

Congrats!

Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 02:05:03 AM

Yeah, I noticed that part about undervolting. I might have to stick in Windows temporarily just to flash my GPU bios, in order to undervolt it, because sgminer can't do it; my two GPUs are running 58 C to 64 C, but only because they're in my office (which has cooling). When I get my risers, I'll plug in all 4 and see how the temps are.

No hardware errors, but it rejects or invalids about 1% shares.

ehalvers

Crypto ehalvers

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 02:10:14 AM

Now I just have the hurdle of having the mobo's recognize all the cards once I get my all the risers I need haha

█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒            
         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓        
         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓        
            █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒
Fishcoin
      ▄█▄
    ▄█████▄
  ▄█████████▄
  ███████  ██
  ███████████
  ▀█████████▀
    ▀█████▀
      ███
    ▄█████▄
  ▄█████████▄
  ███▀   ▀███

▄█▄
    ▄█████▄
  ▄█████████▄
  ███████  ██
  ███████████
  ▀█████████▀
    ▀█████▀
      ███
    ▄█████▄
  ▄█████████▄
  ███▀   ▀███
Decentralized Network
 Tokenized Incentive    
 Interoperable Tools       
Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 02:18:38 AM

Now I just have the hurdle of having the mobo's recognize all the cards once I get my all the risers I need haha

Here's what I plan to do. I'll plug in one card at a time. Power on. Run it for a few minutes. Restart it once or twice to make sure it runs as normal. Then Power off and plug the next card. Until I get all 4 or 5 cards working.

Or you could just go plug all of them at once, then see if BAMT or Ubuntu will work. I'm guessing they should.

vesperwillow

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 02:53:01 AM

BAMT does it automagically, for ubuntu if it doesn't, I believe this command will help:

sudo aticonfig --adapter=all --initial

That forces the drivers to recheck all slots for GPUs

ehalvers

Crypto ehalvers

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 03:29:42 AM

What are the RAM limitations for running 4-5 gpu's on Ubuntu vs Windows?

Have 4 gig on Windows which I think should be plenty, but only 2 on the Linux machine which is using the ASrock H81.

Thanks for the tips!

█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒            
         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓        
         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓        
            █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒
Fishcoin
      ▄█▄
    ▄█████▄
  ▄█████████▄
  ███████  ██
  ███████████
  ▀█████████▀
    ▀█████▀
      ███
    ▄█████▄
  ▄█████████▄
  ███▀   ▀███

▄█▄
    ▄█████▄
  ▄█████████▄
  ███████  ██
  ███████████
  ▀█████████▀
    ▀█████▀
      ███
    ▄█████▄
  ▄█████████▄
  ███▀   ▀███
Decentralized Network
 Tokenized Incentive    
 Interoperable Tools       
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »
  Print  

Jump to: