Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:05:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1710 1711 1712 1713 1714 1715 1716 1717 1718 1719 1720 1721 1722 1723 1724 1725 1726 1727 1728 1729 1730 1731 1732 1733 1734 1735 1736 1737 1738 1739 1740 1741 1742 1743 1744 1745 1746 1747 1748 1749 1750 1751 1752 1753 1754 1755 1756 1757 1758 1759 [1760] 1761 1762 1763 1764 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769 1770 1771 1772 1773 1774 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761529 times)
swartzfeger

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 06:15:22 AM

Is this game going to be like a freemium game?

So like the game is free(web-based hopefully), but the use of ads as well as in-game items, which is paid with real currency, although not necessary to play, is how the game run. Would the in-game items be paid with NXT instead in this game? From my short experience with an MMO (WoW) Blizzard used real currency to pay for things such as subscriptions as well as small cosmetic items, but nothing necessary to play the game as that was left to the in-game gold.

I like the idea of a game. I tried out Huntercoin for a little while (still have some coins left) and the game itself was fun other than the fact that the wallet took up a lot of resources as a result of the game(at least early on). Miners helped find blocks which in essence helped the game move from turn-to-turn where the player in-game could find coins which would increase the amount of coins in the wallet.

Fremium can piss off a lot of hard core types, but not if it's done correctly.

I imagined fremium, with possibly a one-time 10 NXT toon creation fee (until NXT hit $1 USD, which then it could inversely match USD).

Where Blizzard continually drops the ball, unlike a ton of other games, is a player's willingness to spend IRL fiat for customization (doesn't affect game balance).

xyzzyx -- I hear you. Is it an issue when we have micro/fractional NXT?

Say there's a 10 NXT character creation fee, which would then deposit 100 (or 1000) in-game currency. Maybe in lieu of subscriptions, players could choose to deposit 5 NXT/month (60/year).

A much harder, grinding, 'chinese farmer' mechanic could be in place to earn that 100 in-game currency but would take x amount longer of game time (vs simply doing a monthly NXT infusion).

Rules for a player-controlled AE would be very tricky.

Player crafting would be a source of game income. Arbitraging AE would be source of game income.

I'm still smitten with the PLEX concept. Maybe in game currency of 100 (that cost 10 NXT) could be 'cashed out' of game for a total of 1 NXT. I'm tossing arbitrary numbers here, blind to how my IMF chimping would affect game economy.

Forum -- does the free wordpress have a phpboard, or do I need to pony up for a hosting fee? Or is there a free board solution? Should we just move this over to reddit for visibility?

Panda, your mining/resource/burning is nailing it. Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
swartzfeger

Activity: 350

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 06:17:48 AM

Count me in, but we need a place to discuss the game and ideas about it Smiley IRC channel?

Yes, IRC, reddit, free php board... somewhere we won't piss off the normal people here. Smiley

edit: I created Nxtopia over at irc.foonetic.net.
2Kool4Skewl (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2014, 06:21:44 AM

Short calculation: We need 10,000 NXT to buy 20,000 VOTES @ https://www.mintpal.com/voting if we sell the NXT @ 0,0001 BTC

what a waste of money

+1

What a joke.

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
             ▄██████████████████████████▄
      ▄███████████████████████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
  █████████████████████████████████████████████████
   ███████████████████████████████████████████████
    █████████████████████████████████████████████
     ███████████████████████████████████████████
      █████████████████████████████████████████
       ███████████████████████████████████████
        █████████████████████████████████████
         ███████████████████████████████████
          █████████████████████████████████
           ▀█████████████████████████████▀
             ▀█████████████████████████▀
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
2Kool4Skewl (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2014, 06:31:06 AM

Hi John Beltzer, founder and president of Songs of Love here. Just wanted to address your concern about us having other cryptocurrencies on our site. We are simply just trying to expand out funding resources and it's about trying to help as many kids as possible. We used to help 3,000 children a year before the economy crashed and we saw this as a way of trying to get funding from other innovative sources. When you state that kids will get enough personalised songs to get them through their illness that is simply not the case. Sadly there are so many kids who are diagnosed with serious illness so there is always need for more funding so we can hope to reach as many kids as possible. Nxt just happend to be clever enough to embrace us more fully and we are grateful for that and in the end there will be more publicity around Nxt than the other cryptocurrencies we accept. In fact we have even offered to make Nxt the presenting sponsor on what will effectively be the first ever children's charity fundraiser accepting crytocurrency at our Los Angeles event on March 8. Event page is at www.songsoflove.org/LA. We have some pretty cool acts one of which is Amandal Stenberg "Rue" from Hunger Games. Once we reach the 10K mark and we receive the donation we will make Nxt the presenting sponsor for the event. I feel Nxt and Songs of Love is a perfect fit as we embark a most amazing journey of love together.  

This is all well and good but I think we need to work towards a more global approach. What about the international charity UNICEF? Being aligned with them could do wonders for the NXT image. People will feel good about supporting not only a 'green' crypto, but one that contributes towards issues like child education, immunizations, water, sanitation, hygiene etc. We could start small with donating a water pump or payign for a teacher. Maybe I'm going over old ground here but thought I'd mention it. As much we need Bitcoin to succeed, it's a big energy hungry beast and that will turn a lot of people off.

NXT's focus should be on empowering people through economic freedom.

The majority of us come from developed countries.  Why are we concerned about feeding a child in a third world country?  There are enough starving children around us.  By providing people with economic freedom, you will allow them to improve their living conditions and take care of themselves.

Also, the majority of these charitable organizations are rampant with fraud and embezzlement.

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
Fern

Activity: 247

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 06:43:00 AM

Hi John Beltzer, founder and president of Songs of Love here. Just wanted to address your concern about us having other cryptocurrencies on our site. We are simply just trying to expand out funding resources and it's about trying to help as many kids as possible. We used to help 3,000 children a year before the economy crashed and we saw this as a way of trying to get funding from other innovative sources. When you state that kids will get enough personalised songs to get them through their illness that is simply not the case. Sadly there are so many kids who are diagnosed with serious illness so there is always need for more funding so we can hope to reach as many kids as possible. Nxt just happend to be clever enough to embrace us more fully and we are grateful for that and in the end there will be more publicity around Nxt than the other cryptocurrencies we accept. In fact we have even offered to make Nxt the presenting sponsor on what will effectively be the first ever children's charity fundraiser accepting crytocurrency at our Los Angeles event on March 8. Event page is at www.songsoflove.org/LA. We have some pretty cool acts one of which is Amandal Stenberg "Rue" from Hunger Games. Once we reach the 10K mark and we receive the donation we will make Nxt the presenting sponsor for the event. I feel Nxt and Songs of Love is a perfect fit as we embark a most amazing journey of love together.  

This is all well and good but I think we need to work towards a more global approach. What about the international charity UNICEF? Being aligned with them could do wonders for the NXT image. People will feel good about supporting not only a 'green' crypto, but one that contributes towards issues like child education, immunizations, water, sanitation, hygiene etc. We could start small with donating a water pump or payign for a teacher. Maybe I'm going over old ground here but thought I'd mention it. As much we need Bitcoin to succeed, it's a big energy hungry beast and that will turn a lot of people off.

The majority of us come from developed countries.  Why are we concerned about feeding a child in a third world country?  There are enough starving children around us.  By providing people with economic freedom, you will allow them to improve their living conditions and take care of themselves.

Also, the majority of these charitable organizations are rampant with fraud and embezzlement.

Ok, fair enough. What about Micro Loans then? Has that been discussed? I know World Vision do micro loans but that too might be rampant with fraud. Perhaps we start one from scratch similar what they are doing. http://www.worldvisionmicro.org/
landomata
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2014, 07:00:17 AM

Count me in, but we need a place to discuss the game and ideas about it Smiley IRC channel?

Yes, IRC, reddit, free php board... somewhere we won't piss off the normal people here. Smiley

edit: I created Nxtopia over at irc.foonetic.net.

Will Nxtopia be a mobile app?

2Kool4Skewl (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2014, 07:01:33 AM

Ok, fair enough. What about Micro Loans then? Has that been discussed? I know World Vision do micro loans but that too might be rampant with fraud. Perhaps we start one from scratch similar what they are doing. http://www.worldvisionmicro.org/

I would like to see Nxt's AE implement a social credit system.  This social credit system would allow people to issue micro loans and establish LETSystems in their communities.  LETSystems allow communities with no external capital or capital of their own to resurrect their own economy with an expanding/contracting credit system.

This idea is in-line with BCNext's vision of currencies built on top of Nxt.  I hope he would approve.

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
Voluntold

Activity: 168

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 07:12:10 AM

+1

That's what WAS exciting about bitcoin in the first place.

Nxt:  NXT-5BHG-9VRE-QGW6-DRZVQ
lurning

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 07:30:23 AM

I, too, think that NXT should offer the possibility for micro loans worldwide.
bitcoinpaul

Activity: 910

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 07:32:34 AM

I would like to see Nxt's AE implement a social credit system.  This social credit system would allow people to issue micro loans and establish LETSystems in their communities.  LETSystems allow communities with no external capital or capital of their own to resurrect their own economy with an expanding/contracting credit system.

This idea is in-line with BCNext's vision of currencies built on top of Nxt.  I hope he would approve.

Nice!
bitcoinpaul

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 07:33:41 AM

idk. im a scrub coder and even worse at reading other peoples code. i have enough general computer science knowledge to understand how nxt works but i don't think that's enough qualification.

Your brain is priceless. Please join!
bitcoinpaul

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 07:34:22 AM
Last edit: February 19, 2014, 08:03:18 AM by bitcoinpaul

I would suggest not having NXT as the actual in-game currency as a large price spike of NXT value in the future may make the game unaffordable to play.  A in-game-only currency/token on-top-of Nxt blockchain, on the other hand....

Perfect!
bitcoinpaul

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 07:34:47 AM

By the way: Coinhost (just posted on reddit) now accepts Nxt.

Very cool. Now we have a solar company and host providers Grin
mvag

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 07:39:09 AM

Nxtopia bounty:

5000 -- jl777 (I think via community fund?)
1000 -- Pandaisftw
1000 -- MyZhre
1000 -- swartzfeger

+ 5000 from me
bitcoinpaul

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 08:06:04 AM
Last edit: February 19, 2014, 08:50:19 AM by bitcoinpaul

Donation reminder!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=468258.0

ANY DONATION MADE UP TILL WE REACH 100,000 NXT WILL BE DOUBLED!!
2Kool4Skewl (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2014, 08:06:10 AM

+1

That's what WAS exciting about bitcoin in the first place.

I, too, think that NXT should offer the possibility for micro loans worldwide.

Nice!

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

Come-from-Beyond, how difficult would it be to add a feature to the asset exchange allowing accounts to trust other accounts for a certain asset up to a specific amount?  The system would have to be able to handle shifting debt balances.

▄████████▄
                  ▄████████████████▄
               ▀█████████████████████▀
                 ▀█████████████████▀
                   ▀█████████████▀
                      ▀███████▀
TRUSTEE 
ChuckOne

Activity: 364

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 08:10:41 AM

well idk anything about graph theory but yes the length of the chains is irrelevant.

Okay, so now we have:

Consensus in NXT is found by looking for the branch that demonstrates the greatest stake participation without claiming to be from the future.

This is achieved by summing up the targets on each branch and the branch with the smallest total is the correct one.

Got it right?

No. U sum 1/target and want to get the highest value.

I see, that the min sum target not necessarily max sum 1/target.

But, why does that matter to NXT?
ChuckOne

Activity: 364

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 08:12:17 AM

Come-from-Beyond, how difficult would it be to add a feature to the asset exchange allowing accounts to trust other accounts for a certain asset up to a specific amount?  The system would have to be able to handle shifting debt balances.

Why not trusting the person himself?

If you want to help a person, lend him some money. If he is trustworthy, he will give it back to you.
JKBtCn

Activity: 224

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 08:14:23 AM

Hey guys, how much NXT do I actually need to forge some blocks?

I currently have 10, yes ten, no not 10K, and it says that I can generate a block in 22429 days... Is this for real?  Huh

Thanks!

Even with 100k nxt you will not make any money forging so get that mentality out of your head from the start and welcome to the beginning of the rest of your life.

I've been trying to learn more about forging (transparent forging) and you raise the exact issue I am looking to resolve as a recent investor. You make it sound like 100,000 NXT is not enough to forge.

I am a miner at heart and like the idea of forging but the more I read about NXT, it seems that only the original stakeholders (or those with a huge number of NXT) are the ones who can successfully forge (gain/accumulate NXT)? How many NXT are needed to forge and what returns could one expect from say 500,000 NXT? Does the chance to forge change over time, i.e. what variables other than my account holdings and online status as a node affect forging success?

This issue has been difficult to get my head around as a recent adopter. I have not forged any NXT since opening my account (20,000 NXT) a few weeks ago and it sounds like from your response that this number is a laughing matter...I will never forge with that amount. Could some one provide some insight or a link to where forging and returns are discussed?

http://wiki.nxtcrypto.org/wiki/FAQ#Forging

with 100k you'll forge a block every couple of days - but NXT is not about forging

Thanks. I read the link and wonder if you could elaborate on your point that NXT is not about forging?

just as a clarification: when I used the word forging above I used it as a synonym for mining.

mining is basically used to secure the network - this is important. for bitcoin and the like it is essential and the incentives (= block rewards) designed to make people mine (we will see what happens when all coins are mined...)

now what's the fun in mining: you have hardware and software that you can tweak, monitor, run statistics, and you get happy when you mine a block or your pool mines a block. along the way the rewards diminish and you basically waste a lot of resources (power from the plug, stupid asics that turn worthless every couple of weeks, a lot of your time, ...). therefore you try to be the first to run the next generation of mining hardware which gets you over-average returns. this gives you another kick, because you're never sure if the gpu overheats, asic gets delivered on time, other manufacturers already did better, etc.
maybe you like mining for other reasons, but to me mining is because of the said things pretty stupid yesterday.

NXT uses forging to secure the network - important and needed, but what makes NXT stand out is not (at least imo) the fact, that the miners get a bit richer, it's the possibilities of the ecosystem. I'm sure that within a couple of months there will exist a coin on top of NXT that makes the miners more happy, this as a side note...
but what is really important: not that you receive more than you have when holding on to it or investing in new hardware. the goal is to have a working crypto ecosystem that let's you buy things securely and anonymously, that let's you exchange assets securely and easily, that let's you communicate with other without being monitored, that can be used as a base for other undertakings... and where the groundwork is not based on terawatts and terahashes - I'm not good with marketing stuff and this has been summarized better by others - but I hope you get my point.

At the current stage I believe that buying NXT will give you a lot in return, because it is still cheap and for the fun factor you miss from classical mining, you can visit this thread and watch the development of this little plant (or baby to borrow Anons word) to become a giant tree  Grin

Thanks for taking the time to elaborate...enlightening indeed!

Cheers

NXT-XFAH-7N9C-6AS6-B3GLZ                BTC: 1MMzqYNNqQMMhY524Z9ThuQrRQW2whCmGk
NHZ: 8709719431783299770                 QORA | 2ND GEN | NEW SOURCE CODE | Qi24ssRqmEo3Wepv9pgdmqNuTDKQByiEfd
chanc3r

Activity: 952
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 08:16:06 AM

Nxtopia bounty:

5000 -- jl777 (I think via community fund?)
1000 -- Pandaisftw
1000 -- MyZhre
1000 -- swartzfeger

+ 5000 from me

I think its a brilliant idea.. would like to help with idea and other stuff if I can..
Will this include being able to craft things and then sell them to gain NXT to buy other stuff in the game?

+2000 from me for now.

Pages: « 1 ... 1710 1711 1712 1713 1714 1715 1716 1717 1718 1719 1720 1721 1722 1723 1724 1725 1726 1727 1728 1729 1730 1731 1732 1733 1734 1735 1736 1737 1738 1739 1740 1741 1742 1743 1744 1745 1746 1747 1748 1749 1750 1751 1752 1753 1754 1755 1756 1757 1758 1759 [1760] 1761 1762 1763 1764 1765 1766 1767 1768 1769 1770 1771 1772 1773 1774 1775 1776 1777 1778 1779 1780 1781 1782 1783 1784 1785 1786 1787 1788 1789 1790 1791 1792 1793 1794 1795 1796 1797 1798 1799 1800 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807 1808 1809 1810 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: