Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:45:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... 176 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Devcoin  (Read 412873 times)
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 05:38:45 PM

Not really no,

Devcoin.org is owned by me, although a Devoin enthusiast I am not one of the founders, creators etc

Devcoin.org is not made by anyone that is

how does this affect the Devcoin community?

Btw the fact you say you are owed 5 million devcoins is not true and you know it

I already told you the web site was displaying the wrong amount

you know damn well you are not owed 5 million devcoins, my pool did not even mine that many devcoins when you were mining on it

This is now the second time that you have publicly called me a liar.  I'm getting tired of it. 

All I'm saying is that my account displayed that amount when I logged in your site.

I've already once returned incorrectly disbursed devcoins and I thought you got your display working.

I was the only one mining on your pool for several weeks, so I don't understand why the amount is so unreasonable.

Please tell me what amount I am due if it isn't 5 millionish. 

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 05:41:03 PM

mark where can I get the latest devcoin binaries?

I am going to have to get into this wallet now and see whats in there...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/galacticmilieu/files/

Specifically, the DeVCoin subdir of that dir.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
cablepair

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 06:10:44 PM
Last edit: June 07, 2012, 06:31:02 PM by cablepair

Not really no,

Devcoin.org is owned by me, although a Devoin enthusiast I am not one of the founders, creators etc

Btw the fact you say you are owed 5 million devcoins is not true and you know it

you know damn well you are not owed 5 million devcoins, my pool did not even mine that many devcoins when you were mining on it

This is now the second time that you have publicly called me a liar.  I'm getting tired of it.  

All I'm saying is that my account displayed that amount when I logged in your site.

I've already once returned incorrectly disbursed devcoins and I thought you got your display working.

I was the only one mining on your pool for several weeks, so I don't understand why the amount is so unreasonable.

I have no way to prove it but either do you

and listen I am sorry I dont mean to call you a liar

I dont ever remember you mining on the pool for several weeks but I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and give you something to compensate you but seriously there is no way it is 5 million devcoins

I am sorry the pool was screwing up, the big problem was this, I was getting devcoin bounty payments on the same wallet
and devcoin pays the bounties kind of like generated blocks, the pool did not know the difference so it was showing every bounty payment like it was a damn generated block

this is what I am going to do - I will get into the pools wallet and see whats in there
I will send you half of whatever is in the wallet
and the rest to Unthinkingbit

I wish I had time to play with Devcoin stuff but I really don't these days

I am not sure whats in that wallet but the file size is pretty big, it may very well be 10 mill in there

is that fair?

kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 06:26:24 PM

Not really no,

This is now the second time that you have publicly called me a liar.  I'm getting tired of it. 

I dont ever remember you mining on the pool for several weeks but I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and give you something to compensate you but seriously there is no way it is 5 million devcoins

I am sorry the pool was screwing up, the big problem was this, I was getting devcoin bounty payments on the same wallet
and devcoin pays the bounties kind of like generated blocks, the pool did not know the difference so it was showing every bounty payment like it was a damn generated block

this is what I am going to do - I will get into the pools wallet and see whats in there

I am not sure whats in that wallet but the file size is pretty big, it may very well be 10 mill in there

is that fair?

What ever c

You seem sincere, and I'm kind of at your mercy, so yes, your process seems fair (although I don't completely understand what's going on).

All I know is I'm rooting for that file to have more than 10 mil, heh.

Lemme know if you want me to delete any of my posts once we have this resolved.

I hate being someone spreading FUD (especially when I haven't had time to completely wrap my head around devcoin yet).

~ciao

Fold for spending BTCs

cablepair

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 06:36:51 PM

Not really no,

is that fair?

What ever c

You seem sincere, and I'm kind of at your mercy, so yes, your process seems fair (although I don't completely understand what's going on).

All I know is I'm rooting for that file to have more than 10 mil, heh.

Lemme know if you want me to delete any of my posts once we have this resolved.

I hate being someone spreading FUD (especially when I haven't had time to completely wrap my head around devcoin yet).

~ciao

Naa you dont have to delete any post

Let me explain it to you better

The pool was a wallet right

Well when the pool generates coins they show up in the wallet

I foolishly used an address from the pools wallet to have my Devcoin bounty payments sent to
because I did not realize the pool would screw them up

See I was getting payments every day
these are personal payments to me, it was my money but the pool confused those payments as generated blocks
so it was giving out my own personal money to the miners

when the difficulty was very high the pool thought it was mining blocks every day
when in reality it was not, it was only mining a block like once a week
if that

but it counted my personal payments and displayed them as mined blocks when in reality they were not

if you go look at a devcoin block explorer you will see what I mean when you see 45000 coin blocks instead of 5000
the 45000 coin blocks are devcoin bounty payments
and the 5000 coin blocks are generated blocks

well my pool did not know the difference

and it was counting all of those coins as mined blocks and giving away free money to miners

now I admit I was pre-occupied with other things and it went on much longer than it should of

so heres the bottom line, my pool was broken and because of it your getting a bunch of free money
along with other miners who were around at that time

Although I am going to give half of it back to Unthinkingbit because he was always very generous and nice person and I hope the coins go into doing something good for Devcoin , I really dont need them.

Ill let you know the amount later today
thanks!
kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 06:44:41 PM

Naa you dont have to delete any post

Let me explain it to you better

The pool was a wallet right

Well when the pool generates coins they show up in the wallet

I foolishly used an address from the pools wallet to have my Devcoin bounty payments sent to
because I did not realize the pool would screw them up

See I was getting payments every day
these are personal payments to me, it was my money but the pool confused those payments as generated blocks
so it was giving out my own personal money to the miners

when the difficulty was very high the pool thought it was mining blocks every day
when in reality it was not, it was only mining a block like once a week
if that

but it counted my personal payments and displayed them as mined blocks when in reality they were not

if you go look at a devcoin block explorer you will see what I mean when you see 45000 coin blocks instead of 5000
the 45000 coin blocks are devcoin bounty payments
and the 5000 coin blocks are generated blocks

well my pool did not know the difference

and it was counting all of those coins as mined blocks and giving away free money to miners

now I admit I was pre-occupied with other things and it went on much longer than it should of

so heres the bottom line, my pool was broken and because of it your getting a bunch of free money

Although I am going to give half of it back to Unthinkingbit because he was always very generous and nice person and I hope the coins go into doing something good for Devcoin , I really dont need them.

Ill let you know the amount later today
thanks!

Thanks for the extend explanation.  Good luck with sorting that stuff out.

Fold for spending BTCs

cablepair

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 07:09:32 PM

can someone send me a link or email me a ubuntu 64bit binary for devcoind?

thanks

tom@devcoin.org
Unthinkingbit (OP)

Activity: 935
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 07:14:38 PM

Hi Cable and Kjlimo,

Thanks for working out the pool problem.

Another post that mentions the devcoin pool wallet problem is at:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34586.msg683621;topicseen#msg683621

Thanks. I also have lots of devcoins, and so far all the devcoins have been sent out for useful things. If someone has a fun but useless idea, interesting project, party, whatever, I'll resend the devcoins to whatever is agreed on the thread, or, Cablepair could hold the coins he would send to me and send them once we agree on something.

kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 07:44:37 PM

Hi Cable and Kjlimo,

Thanks for working out the pool problem.

Another post that mentions the devcoin pool wallet problem is at:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34586.msg683621;topicseen#msg683621

Thanks. I also have lots of devcoins, and so far all the devcoins have been sent out for useful things. If someone has a fun but useless idea, interesting project, party, whatever, I'll resend the devcoins to whatever is agreed on the thread, or, Cablepair could hold the coins he would send to me and send them once we agree on something.

Yeah, I had been mining for a while before January when the merged mining went into effect.  That's when DoubleC's pool started looking attractive mining 5 coins at once.

Fold for spending BTCs

cablepair

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 07:48:53 PM

lol yep

before merged mining my pool earned every single devcoin block
then the difficulty was very high and we did not earn hardly any

kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 07:54:36 PM

lol yep

before merged mining my pool earned every single devcoin block
then the difficulty was very high and we did not earn hardly any

yep, that's why I was thinking the 5 mil was reasonable (even after the original fiasco of me withdrawing tons of devcoins after my first week of mining on the pool).

I hope to find  time to check out Unthinkingbit's new pool sometime in the coming month.

Fold for spending BTCs

doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 09:23:38 PM

You got a 40BTC bounty for having a merge mining pool for DevCoin at the time merge mining was switched on didn't you? Think of the 'free' money as being a redistribution of that bounty to the users since the pool shut down soon after.
cablepair

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 11:46:36 PM

You got a 40BTC bounty for having a merge mining pool for DevCoin at the time merge mining was switched on didn't you? Think of the 'free' money as being a redistribution of that bounty to the users since the pool shut down soon after.

I understand that and have no problem redistributing the devcoins back into the ecosystem to better the network itself

To my defense please understand how it went down

at one time I was the ONLY Devcoin pool and if memory serves I did not receive any Bounty for that
When merged mining came into play I had plans to keep the pool going but suffered several big set backs
I setup the merged mining myself as I am very experienced with PoolServerJ however the web statistics side of it is beyond my scope as I am not a php programmer by any stretch of the imagination

I took that 40 BTC bounty and hired not one but two separate programmers to bring merged mining stats to my pool and both of them screwed me over

A good friend of mine who is a very early adopter of Bitcoin and one of the first members of this forum was hosting the pool for me on his server, the hard drive on the server died and he as a volunteer did not have the time or resources to help me get it going again and host it for me again

this is the reason the pool died, as I am sure Unthinkingbit can testify I was never the type of person who took a bounty and disappeared, I really believed in Devcoin (Still do) and wanted to be a part of it.

I have done a lot for Devcoin and I continue to support it by hosting Devtome.org for free which I will continue to do for ever as long as it is needed, please let the memory of my support of Devcoin be true to the good nature of what it really was and not paint it to be something else.

If I wanted to I could keep every single Devcoin that is in that wallet and I would be completely in my rights to do so, but that is not how I roll, I made the decision to donate the coins so please dont try and tarnish that.

Unthinkingbit (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 11:55:08 PM

I hope to find  time to check out Unthinkingbit's new pool sometime in the coming month.

Please do, but actually it's Mark's pool:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=86092.0

The first five people who use it and make a minimal post (at least ten words) will get 1/5 of a generation share.

The first five people who make an informative post (at least fifty words) will get 2/5 of a generation share.

A generation share is currently worth about 15 bitcoins.

sd

Activity: 730
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 09:04:10 PM

Devcoin is an ethical currency where 90% of the generation goes to open source developers and 10% to the miners:

So there is a 90% tax on mining these.

Where does this 90% go? And how do they decide where to distribute it to?

Unless I'm missing something here this sounds crazy and I can't see why anyone would get involved.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2012, 10:35:38 PM

Devcoin is an ethical currency where 90% of the generation goes to open source developers and 10% to the miners:

Unless I'm missing something here this sounds crazy and I can't see why anyone would get involved.

See http://devtome.org/wiki/index.php?title=Devcoin and proably other pages also of the Devtome wiki, which itself pays devcoins from that 90% to people who write articles for the wiki. See front page of the wiki, and page about getting paid for writing articles, etc etc etc.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Unthinkingbit (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 10:45:36 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2012, 11:04:22 PM by Unthinkingbit

For making the second devcoin exchange:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=53329.0

Mark got a bounty of 9 generation shares or 90 bitcoins:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34586.msg553722#msg553722

He chose to take it in bitcoins, so I sent him 90 bitcoins and will in turn get 9 generation shares in round 12.

Unthinkingbit (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2012, 11:01:30 PM

The round 12 devtome word bounties are pasted below and at:
https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/devtome_bounty_12.csv

17vec4jQGCzMEsTnivizHPaowE715tu2CB-Unthinkingbit,7-Word Count

They are generated by tomecount.py:
https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/tomecount.py

The word counts for each writer are at:
https://raw.github.com/Unthinkingbit/charity/master/tomecount.csv

The word bounties were generated on 2012-06-09, and the word counts follow below.

Original Word Count: 42,814
Collated Word Count: 53,714
Collated Weighted Word Count: 16,114
Total Word Count: 96,528
Total Weighted Word Count: 58,928

From statistics:
http://devtome.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Statistics

Views total: 31,984
Content pages: 64

sd

Activity: 730
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2012, 12:47:45 AM

See http://devtome.org/wiki/index.php?title=Devcoin and proably other pages also of the Devtome wiki, which itself pays devcoins from that 90% to people who write articles for the wiki. See front page of the wiki, and page about getting paid for writing articles, etc etc etc.

-MarkM-

I read that. I still don't get it. What devcoin appears to have done is create an ecosystem where 90% of the wealth is controlled by a very small group, maybe just 1 person. Corruption is inevitable in this model. You are going to be gamed by bounty hunters, gamed by everyone else who thinks they can blag a free handout, and gamed by the 90% wealth holders who will want to do everything to ensure their wealth steadily increases. And the 90% person or group will see it as their wealth over time.

This project appears to be idealistic but good intentions get corrupted by messy reality.

cablepair

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2012, 01:06:43 AM

-MarkM-

Devcoin pays for projects to get developed, its an excellent way to put money in the hands of the developers - the innovators...

Before you pass judgement please read the wiki

also You or anyone else can get involved and get some of that money yourselves

I read that. I still don't get it. What devcoin appears to have done is create an ecosystem where 90% of the wealth is controlled by a very small group, maybe just 1 person. Corruption is inevitable in this model. You are going to be gamed by bounty hunters, gamed by everyone else who thinks they can blag a free handout, and gamed by the 90% wealth holders who will want to do everything to ensure their wealth steadily increases. And the 90% person or group will see it as their wealth over time.

This project appears to be idealistic but good intentions get corrupted by messy reality.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... 176 »
  Print  

Jump to: