Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:37:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... 230 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Reddit’s science forum banned climate deniers.  (Read 636401 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 04:44:17 PM

Obama: Global Warming Is Real Because “Science Is Science”…

“Science is science.”

That’s how President Barack Obama sums up climate change in an interview with New York Timescolumnist Thomas Friedman, which was printed in the Times on Sunday and will air on Showtime’sYears of Living Dangerously on Monday.

Obama’s remarks come on the heels of his announced plan to curb carbon emissions by nearly a third—a big step that Republicans are already lining up to protest.

“The good news is that the public may get out ahead of some of their politicians,” Obama said, suggesting that as people see the effects of weather disasters like hurricanes and droughts, they might begin to change their minds.

“Those start multiplying, then people start thinking, ‘You know what? We’re going to reward politicians who talk to us honestly and seriously about this problem,’” he said.

The president stated that for the rest of his term he’ll aim to shift public opinion, which he hopes will help him shift policy.

“Part of my job over these next two and a half years and beyond is trying to shift public opinion. And the way to shift public opinion is to really focus in on the fact that if we do nothing our kids are going to be worse off,” he said.

http://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/obama-climate-change-science

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 09:57:22 PM

“Science is science.”

That’s how President Barack Obama sums up climate change in an interview with New York Timescolumnist Thomas Friedman, which was printed in the Times on Sunday and will air on Showtime’sYears of Living Dangerously on Monday.

Obama’s remarks come on the heels of his announced plan to curb carbon emissions by nearly a third—a big step that Republicans are already lining up to protest.

“The good news is that the public may get out ahead of some of their politicians,” Obama said, suggesting that as people see the effects of weather disasters like hurricanes and droughts, they might begin to change their minds.

“Those start multiplying, then people start thinking, ‘You know what? We’re going to reward politicians who talk to us honestly and seriously about this problem,’” he said.

The president stated that for the rest of his term he’ll aim to shift public opinion, which he hopes will help him shift policy.

“Part of my job over these next two and a half years and beyond is trying to shift public opinion. And the way to shift public opinion is to really focus in on the fact that if we do nothing our kids are going to be worse off,” he said.

No. Your job was to make smart decisions to improve the economy and get us off of a war footing. You did neither. Don't let the door hit you on the way out you jackal.

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 10:27:26 PM

“Science is science.”

The good news is that the public may get out ahead of some of their politicians,” Obama said, suggesting that as people see the effects of weather disasters like hurricanes and droughts, they might begin to change their minds.

ONE PART of that gibberish that I think we could all agree with.

In bold.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 02:45:02 AM

“Science is science.”

The good news is that the public may get the heads of some of their politicians,” Obama said, suggesting that as people see the effects of weather disasters like hurricanes and droughts, they might begin to change their minds.

ONE PART of that gibberish that I think we could all agree with.

In bold.
Fixed that for you.
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:12:33 AM

This is extremely political. It is unethical to ban someone because they have viewpoints that do not agree with their own.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:38:14 AM

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/06/09/why-havent-we-encountered-aliens-yet-the-answer-could-be-climate-change/

Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:17:18 AM

I wonder what an alien gas guzzling SUV would look like.  Cheesy

Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:18:00 AM

This is extremely political. It is unethical to ban someone because they have viewpoints that do not agree with their own.

Agreed. When you can't win the argument the last resort is to shut it down.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:38:05 AM

It seems inconceivable to me that much more advanced life must exist in the universe, and we should be able to pick up signals.  This is simply by the laws of chance.  The strongest hypothesis I've been able to come up with in 35-ish years of thinking about it is that there is a sort of a universal ethic to completely isolate life forms who have not reached a sufficient level of advancement.  That would be our situation, and considering the terrible things we do to one another I could certainly understand how others intelligent races would consider us very primitive (and rather disgusting to be honest.)

A century or two ago when one more 'advanced' group found another, the totally acceptable and rational thing to do was to kill or enslave them.  Typically both.  There was never any question about the appropriateness of this response.

There are still a handful of human groups who are isolated (mostly in the South American jungles.)  We've advanced sufficiently in a relatively short amount of time that our strategy now is to be pretty careful in how we contact with and treat these people and basically interfere with them and their lifestyles as little as possible.  I just heard a radio thing about it when I was traveling recently.  Most of these groups are hostile (else they would not have survived.)  The rule of thumb for those seeking contact for certain operational reasons is to "die if you must but never kill" since firearms are carried by the contactors.  Again, this is very significant progress in terms of 'humanity.'

My supposition is that alien races who have advanced to a certain level would adopt the same strategy toward us.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 06:29:20 AM

It seems inconceivable to me that much more advanced life must exist in the universe, and we should be able to pick up signals.  This is simply by the laws of chance.  The strongest hypothesis I've been able to come up with in 35-ish years of thinking about it is that there is a sort of a universal ethic to completely isolate life forms who have not reached a sufficient level of advancement.  That would be our situation, and considering the terrible things we do to one another I could certainly understand how others intelligent races would consider us very primitive (and rather disgusting to be honest.)

A century or two ago when one more 'advanced' group found another, the totally acceptable and rational thing to do was to kill or enslave them.  Typically both.  There was never any question about the appropriateness of this response.

There are still a handful of human groups who are isolated (mostly in the South American jungles.)  We've advanced sufficiently in a relatively short amount of time that our strategy now is to be pretty careful in how we contact with and treat these people and basically interfere with them and their lifestyles as little as possible.  I just heard a radio thing about it when I was traveling recently.  Most of these groups are hostile (else they would not have survived.)  The rule of thumb for those seeking contact for certain operational reasons is to "die if you must but never kill" since firearms are carried by the contactors.  Again, this is very significant progress in terms of 'humanity.'

My supposition is that alien races who have advanced to a certain level would adopt the same strategy toward us.

Agreed. It doesn't seem like it if you watch the news but the human race does actually get more peaceful as we advance. If there is a civilization that is so advanced as to be able to do interstellar travel a reasonable assumption is that they would either be peaceful or avoid detection altogether so as to not interfere with our history.

NEM minnow

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 12:27:03 PM

should be banned from teaching in schools too
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 04:25:08 PM

I wonder what an alien gas guzzling SUV would look like.  Cheesy
  Typical concepts of power usage required for interstellar travel or even communication between star systems require so many more orders of magnitude than what we think of that yeah, those SUVs would be huge energy users.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:04:21 PM

There are still a handful of human groups who are isolated (mostly in the South American jungles.)  We've advanced sufficiently in a relatively short amount of time that our strategy now is to be pretty careful in how we contact with and treat these people and basically interfere with them and their lifestyles as little as possible. 

Agreed. It doesn't seem like it if you watch the news but the human race does actually get more peaceful as we advance. If there is a civilization that is so advanced as to be able to do interstellar travel a reasonable assumption is that they would either be peaceful or avoid detection altogether so as to not interfere with our history.

The real trick would be to cloak us so effectively that we saw no convincing signs or signals of existence life elsewhere in the universe.  That's a mind-blowing technical challenge (to me).  But OTOH, so would be interstellar travel.  Doubtless I'm a victim of over-emphasizing a geo-spacial significance in my view of reality.

I can see how such a thing could happen however.  After working with computers for a while it is almost 'weird' to me to be anywhere near the computer I happen to be using.  But most of the non-computer people I talk to (and myself some time ago) have a great deal of difficulty with the concept of using a computer which is not close enough to one to have a VGA cable attached.  Experience is pretty fundamental to shaping a person's abilities to conceptualize things.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:08:11 PM

should be banned from teaching in schools too
Read about the Russian scientist Lysenko please and let us know if you still feel that way afterwards.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:12:10 PM

There is some reason to fear emerging species from the interstellar viewpoint.  Suppose you are happily existing around Alpha Centauri, and you get word of this massive heap of junk headed your way from Sol.  The remains of an interstellar spaceship sent on a trip to your solar system which disintegrated en route killing everyone on their 250 year voyage. 

All that junk is coming in at a significant fraction of light speed......

That's way, WAY more scary than a big rock hitting the Earth...I guess depending on the size of the rock, but energy increases as the square of the speed...
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 03:59:46 AM

http://www.crikey.com.au/hug-a-climate-scientist-day-2012/

Ron~Popeil

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 07:39:41 AM

There is some reason to fear emerging species from the interstellar viewpoint.  Suppose you are happily existing around Alpha Centauri, and you get word of this massive heap of junk headed your way from Sol.  The remains of an interstellar spaceship sent on a trip to your solar system which disintegrated en route killing everyone on their 250 year voyage. 

That's way, WAY more scary than a big rock hitting the Earth...I guess depending on the size of the rock, but energy increases as the square of the speed...

I suppose it comes down to the size of the vessel and maybe even more so the type of fuel they use. Even a small amount of antimatter for instance could decimate the globe. 

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 11:48:47 AM

I suppose it comes down to the size of the vessel and maybe even more so the type of fuel they use. Even a small amount of antimatter for instance could decimate the globe. 

Or maybe such a ship is placed purposefully in a trajectory for which if destroyed the fragments avoid the target solar system all together, passing just to the side of it.  But that requires a lot more energy and time.

Curious, really that astronomers never see any REALLY fast moving objects.  Everything is on a scale related to the range of escape velocities for the planets.  In other words, not only do we not see aliens from Alpha Centauri, we don't even see a couple rocks from there.   Nothing at all.  I'll have to figure some range of speeds for junk ejection in a supernova later...
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 05:11:53 PM

Or maybe such a ship is placed purposefully in a trajectory for which if destroyed the fragments avoid the target solar system all together, passing just to the side of it.  But that requires a lot more energy and time.

Curious, really that astronomers never see any REALLY fast moving objects.  Everything is on a scale related to the range of escape velocities for the planets.  In other words, not only do we not see aliens from Alpha Centauri, we don't even see a couple rocks from there.   Nothing at all.  I'll have to figure some range of speeds for junk ejection in a supernova later...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2655105/Engage-warp-drive-Nasa-reveals-latest-designs-Star-Trek-style-spacecraft-make-interstellar-travel-reality.html

kuverty

Activity: 770

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 05:19:40 PM

"Climate deniers".

Isn't that a stupid term?

Way to go, reddit. Like those climate scientists making threats to those who are publishing findings that are contrary to their hypothesis. Makes me want to consider speading climate change denialist propaganda.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... 230 »
  Print  

Jump to: