Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:21:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »
  Print  
Author Topic: X6500 Custom FPGA Miner  (Read 219790 times)
nbtcminer

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 06:38:15 PM

@All / Fizzisit:

Could we use something like this to host a bunch of X6500?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shad

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 06:54:47 PM

@All / Fizzisit:

i don't think you have one of those Wink
first round of those to public will be out of stock in hours

but i hope it supports opencl Wink

if you want to use an ARM-CPU you can do this, i managed to get MPBM running on openwrt

15dUzJEUkxgjrtcvDSdsEDkXu7E7RCbNN3
TheSeven

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

FPGA Mining LLC

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2012, 07:00:56 PM

How difficult would be to daisy chain the USB, and power?
USB can't easily be daisy chained (would require a 2-port USB hub on each board, and you may only chain something like 6 hubs total (including hubs that are possibly integrated in the PC).

@TheSeven:

I'm glad you noticed the FPGA 0 / 1 invalid thing too. I didn't think much of it at first but I think it might be more hardware related then anything (I experienced the same issue of FPGA 1 generating more invalids then FPGA 0, which usually had 0% invalids). However having said that I'm at about 0.2% invalids on FPGA 1 and 0 % on FPGA 0 after 4 days of 24/7 mining so I'm not really too concerned about it at the moment.

BTW with regards to the plastic surface on the FPGA; do you think the anodized aluminum will do as good of a job as a full copper heatsink? I think a copper heatsink + good thermal compound (and/or epoxy) + active cooling should do the trick of eliminating overheating as a source of mh/s degradation.

Cheers,
nbtcminer
Hm, very interesting. The results I got from MPBM show a slight bias towards FPGA0, fizzisist's x6500-miner results show a bias towards FPGA1. Might after all be related to how x6500-miner deals with the FPGA alternatingly while MPBM manages them in parallel or something like that.
An aluminum heatsink certainly can't keep up with a copper one, but I don't think it really matters much whether the heatsink is like 2°C cooler if the temperature difference between the die and heatsink is like 20°C because of the FPGA's nasty package. So yes, it might improve things, but it might just not be worth it, some airflow around the ground plane of the PCB might have a bigger effect. (All guesstimations, feel free to prove me wrong Smiley )

the x6500 miner software seems to have some trouble with p2pool, after some hours of work with avarage 5% rejected 0 stale shares the miner just pulls blocks but doesnt provide any shares, have to restart the software to make it work again. does someone have this aswell with p2pool ?
The way the X6500 communicates with the controlling PC works well for regular bitcoin mining, but introduces some latency (a couple of milliseconds) that hurt P2Pool a lot at its very high block rate. So you should expect degraded efficiency when using an X6500 with P2Pool. This might be addressed in a future board revision. (The miner software might also have an impact, but it isn't all that big.)

@All / Fizzisit:

Should work with MPBM and possibly also with X6500-miner if libd2xx is available for ARM platforms and the board can handle it performance-wise.
I'd say that with MPBM up to 4 boards should work well, if you have more you might run into performance issues.

My tip jar: 13kwqR7B4WcSAJCYJH1eXQcxG5vVUwKAqY
nbtcminer

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 07:05:24 PM

Yeah the hardware is pretty sick for the price (the concept is also very very cool) but yeah I'll probably not be able to get my hands on of these ;(

And yes! I would totally love to see how you got MPBM working on OpenWRT!!! I can always get my hands on a TP-Link 1043nd and then run my X6500 off the USB port! Quick question: Have you noticed any mh/s difference between running an X6500 off an ARM platform vs a regular PC?

Cheers,

nbtcminer

@All / Fizzisit:

i don't think you have one of those Wink
first round of those to public will be out of stock in hours

but i hope it supports opencl Wink

if you want to use an ARM-CPU you can do this, i managed to get MPBM running on openwrt
shad

Activity: 148

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 07:28:27 PM

Have you noticed any mh/s difference between running an X6500 off an ARM platform vs a regular PC?

no, but i didn't make e long term test

on my wrt54gl i wasn't able to install python because of diskspace, maybe it would be possible to mount an usb stick
on my buffalo wrz-hp-ag300h-eu it runs fine, cpu usage was about 40%

15dUzJEUkxgjrtcvDSdsEDkXu7E7RCbNN3
99Percent

Activity: 402

🦜| Save Smart & Win 🦜

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2012, 10:08:54 PM

Maybe instead of daisy chaining USB, the board can come with its own bus, so they can be easily added without having to use more USBs and power cables.

ZodiacDragon84

Activity: 266

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 11:21:55 PM

Maybe instead of daisy chaining USB, the board can come with its own bus, so they can be easily added without having to use more USBs and power cables.

or create a 6 card max backplane?

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
Pipesnake
Legendary

Activity: 1012
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 11:59:26 PM

And yes! I would totally love to see how you got MPBM working on OpenWRT!!!
+1

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
fizzisist (OP)

Activity: 720
Merit: 525

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2012, 01:10:35 AM

Heh you should have come up with all these suggestions a month ago when the new board was being designed.   I for one much prefer power one side, usb the other. The rev3 board, for me is completely optimal.

You're right, too late for this revision! But, they're great ideas and we're always looking to improve. We're collecting all of these ideas and keeping them in mind as we plan for the future.

fizzisist (OP)

Activity: 720
Merit: 525

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2012, 02:01:31 AM

Hi fizzisist,

could a fully passive cooler like this, one per fpga, be enough?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12775/vid-165/Deep_Cool_Nbridge_8_Northbridge_Chipset_Cooler.html?tl=g40c16s500&id=sLNsfH2v

spiccioli

Actually, someone (mike2kt) has already tested that cooler and shared his results by email. Here's what he says:

I would post a reply, but my stupid account is still locked from posting.

The cooler he is linking to is the one I’ve been using full time for the past few weeks.

The answer is YES, they will work passively on the 200Mhz bitstream given clearance around and above the board.

However, I personally still run a small 80mm, 40 CFM fan (Panaflo H1A) blowing across the board just to keep the other components cool. The fan is silent for all intents and purposes.

mike2kt

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 03:45:05 AM

At last I can post! Thank you fizzisist!

Here is a shot of the "Deep Cool Nbridge 8 Northbridge Chipset Cooler" set. I have a 5 lbs weight to hold them down on the rev 2 board at the moment. The fan in the photo is a Delta screamer and not the Panaflo I use daily. Obviously the Delta puts out a lot more CFM then the 40 CFM Panaflo, but the invalid rate (<0.3 @200Mhz) is the same between the two fans from my testing.

CYA Disclaimer: this is a rev 2 board that I push to the edge. Until the rev 3 boards arrive with proper heatsink mounts, I can’t recommend ANYONE else try the unconventional tests I’ve been running. I have thermal sensors, voltage monitors and additional inline fuses that are not standard to protect the rev 2 board (100% automatic cutoff if anything is out-of-range).

- M2KT

Actually, someone (mike2kt) has already tested that cooler and shared his results by email. Here's what he says:

The cooler he is linking to is the one I’ve been using full time for the past few weeks.

The answer is YES, they will work passively on the 200Mhz bitstream given clearance around and above the board.

However, I personally still run a small 80mm, 40 CFM fan (Panaflo H1A) blowing across the board just to keep the other components cool. The fan is silent for all intents and purposes.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 03:54:02 AM

Here is a shot of the "Deep Cool Nbridge 8 Northbridge Chipset Cooler" set. I have a 5 lbs weight to hold them down on the rev 2 board at the moment. The fan in the photo is a Delta screamer and not the Panaflo I use daily. Obviously the Delta puts out a lot more CFM then the 40 CFM Panaflo, but the invalid rate (<0.3 @200Mhz) is the same between the two fans from my testing.

CYA Disclaimer: this is a rev 2 board that I push to the edge. Until the rev 3 boards arrive with proper heatsink mounts, I can’t recommend ANYONE else try the unconventional tests I’ve been running. I have thermal sensors, voltage monitors and additional inline fuses that are not standard to protect the rev 2 board (100% automatic cutoff if anything is out-of-range).

- M2KT

LOL, that is some crazy sh*t! Wink
nbtcminer

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 06:37:49 PM

@ mike2kt:

Holy! That is one crazy setup! (had to comment on how crazy it was lol)

That aside, why don't you epoxy the heatinks down and the the fan closer to the heatsinks?

- M2KT

mike2kt

Activity: 80

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 08:40:05 PM

@ mike2kt:

Holy! That is one crazy setup! (had to comment on how crazy it was lol)

That aside, why don't you epoxy the heatinks down and the the fan closer to the heatsinks?

Let's just say that’s not my first X6500 board. I used to test with a mix of arctic silver epoxy and regular arctic silver. Not a good solution for frequent swaps. As for the fan in that picture, it moves 81.5CFM. Interestingly enough, I get MORE invalids on core 0 (the core closest to the fan) if I put it right next to the board (large magnetic field).

This board is used more like a test mule rather than "just a miner."

-M2KT
TheHarbinger

Activity: 378

Why is it so damn hot in here?

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 04:16:36 AM

Still waiting to see an oil immersion cooling setup.   Grin

12Um6jfDE7q6crm1s6tSksMvda8s1hZ3Vj
SamHa1n

Activity: 60

View Profile
February 27, 2012, 09:28:35 PM

malavita

Activity: 90

View Profile
February 27, 2012, 09:38:20 PM

+1  Smiley

Somebody's gotta finance this revolution - you can help by donating supplies, ammo, field hospital beds or simply BTCs here: 1QBNASECM8z2LLojkqZH3s2F8Ur7nhafNc
Pipesnake
Legendary

Activity: 1012
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 27, 2012, 10:42:45 PM

SamHa1n what enclosure is that?

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 27, 2012, 10:46:37 PM

is that a combined fan/heatsink?  what brand/model?  what do the numbers represent on the readout at the top?
N.Olmos

Activity: 162

View Profile
February 27, 2012, 11:04:55 PM

This. I think.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835999020

Refer friends and earn 25%!

http://offers.coinad.com/?r=3
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »
  Print  

Jump to: