Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:29:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CASASCIUS PHYSICAL BITCOIN - In Stock Now! (pic)  (Read 130254 times)
kgo

Activity: 548
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 12:05:59 AM

kgo: what are your expectations on delivery date?
I used to work at a campus radio station and could shoot a video with my new smartphone.
Plus I did some pywallet / mtgox key import practice so shooting would be just repeating what I already know.

Is delivery before 31/12 acceptable? (i'd need a week to get a coin from a friend of mine who has some; shooting & editing is 1-2 evenings)

edit: seems I'm out of the competition. 72 hrs is discriminating. (I live "am arsch der welt" <- google translate from german; postal service needs forever to reach me)

Since no one else has volunteered to do a full video, and I'll be traveling for the holidays next week, I'll give you until the end of the year to try to come up with something.  I would prefer mtgox over pywallet.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
naypalm
Legendary

Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012

howdy

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2011, 09:03:33 PM

Got my package today, exemplary shipping as usual! Cool

bitjet

Activity: 696

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 04:34:55 PM

Though I think the premium on these coins is quite, quite high, I did order some for my dad who is interested in bitcoin but has a hard enough time figuring out how to get to a website.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2011, 05:11:41 PM

It'll be cool to be able to show a video to friends and others rather than have them take my word for it.

You mean, a "somebody gave me this coin, what the heck is it and what am I supposed to do with it?" video...

It would seem that redemption is not the primary purpose of a BTC-in-a-coin; it is that it can trade hands without touching the Internet, and be a keepsake and pretty representation of your savings. Bitcoins in digital form work perfectly, except when there is no technology or Internet around. Let the recipient know there are people willing to pay more than $4 for their token because it contains a bitcoin.
mila

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 07:51:47 PM

It'll be cool to be able to show a video to friends and others rather than have them take my word for it.

You mean, a "somebody gave me this coin, what the heck is it and what am I supposed to do with it?" video...

It would seem that redemption is not the primary purpose of a BTC-in-a-coin; it is that it can trade hands without touching the Internet, and be a keepsake and pretty representation of your savings. Bitcoins in digital form work perfectly, except when there is no technology or Internet around. Let the recipient know there are people willing to pay more than $4 for their token because it contains a bitcoin.

well I'm not his/hers spoke person but I understand the need as "how could I check if the coin is legit & how could I redeem it if I want to?"

your argument is valid. but so is the curiosity of a physical coin holder who wants to know if his/hers coin is still valid and if he needs to turn it back into digital circulation, what are the available options.

your ad here:
mila

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 07:55:09 PM

Since no one else has volunteered to do a full video, and I'll be traveling for the holidays next week, I'll give you until the end of the year to try to come up with something.  I would prefer mtgox over pywallet.

my shooting star casascius coin is on the way to me. I'm halfway done with the script. Next would be recording the voice (so that I know the length of video needed), shooting the video and finally cutting, mixing the voice in and publishing.

your ad here:
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 23, 2011, 10:21:55 PM

I have a separate thread where I'm selling pendant jewelry which holds a Casascius physical bitcoin:
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=55527.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2011, 05:47:06 AM

well I'm not his/hers spoke person but I understand the need as "how could I check if the coin is legit & how could I redeem it if I want to?"

your argument is valid. but so is the curiosity of a physical coin holder who wants to know if his/hers coin is still valid and if he needs to turn it back into digital circulation, what are the available options.

Exactly.  I am giving these away as gifts and while I agree that I recommend using this coin as a physical option of transfer, I would like to explain how it works to get back to digital.  It has interested some people to actually buy more, so the physical coins are certainly paying for themselves in advertising!

I hope all of my friends / family can reap the rewards and satisfaction from being early adopters with me!  Woot!

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 12:34:39 AM

I have a separate thread where I'm selling pendant jewelry which holds a Casascius physical bitcoin:
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=55527.0

Now THAT is good stuff. Smiley

My niece really loved her "bitcoin savings account" I made for her, maybe I'll get her one of these too.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 12:43:17 AM

my shooting star casascius coin is on the way to me. I'm halfway done with the script. Next would be recording the voice (so that I know the length of video needed), shooting the video and finally cutting, mixing the voice in and publishing.

Well, what the hay, this seems like a valuable enough service, I'll toss you 0.5btc once it's completed too (I certainly plan to point friends and family to it.)

End of January seems like a reasonable timeframe for my attention span.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
mila

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 01:58:14 AM

the coin is in the mail since 19th of Dec Sad
fml

your ad here:
kgo

Activity: 548

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 03:35:26 AM

fml

I'll extend my deadline to the end of Jan as well since no-one else has offered to make a video.  That will be the final deadline for me.
mila

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 02:19:31 PM

fml

coin arrived. can watch 15azScMm first bits ... a movement there will indicate I redeemed the coin and the stuff is ready.

your ad here:
westkybitcoins
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 02:54:53 AM

fml

coin arrived. can watch 15azScMm first bits ... a movement there will indicate I redeemed the coin and the stuff is ready.

Cool. Thanks.

tonto

Activity: 609

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 10:17:44 PM

I got my two 1BTC coins today, thanks Casascius. Smiley   One I will keep for myself, and one I will give to one of my friends or family eventually, once I gauge who will be most receptive and least likely to just throw it away.

These are cool, and making me consider the 10, the 25, and the 5 when it comes out. Smiley
realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 11:20:31 PM

I noticed that you mentioned the keys are printed using an inkjet printer.  It's my experience that inkjet ink fades quite rapidly with time. ven more so in light. How safe then is the private key hidden in the 1 btc coins?

Aside from that... I bought a few 1 btc coins and they are things of beauty. As much for what they represent as what they look like (which is very professional).

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2012, 11:50:52 PM

I noticed that you mentioned the keys are printed using an inkjet printer.  It's my experience that inkjet ink fades quite rapidly with time. ven more so in light. How safe then is the private key hidden in the 1 btc coins?

Aside from that... I bought a few 1 btc coins and they are things of beauty. As much for what they represent as what they look like (which is very professional).

I think the private key is pretty safe, and isn't going to see much light at all, even if you leave the coins in the sun.

Fading typically means a loss of color fidelity (think of photos of Grandma), not so much documents turning back into blank paper.  Choice of inkjet is deliberate.  If it matters, I always use genuine ink from the printer manufacturer, never knockoffs or refills.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
mila

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 01:40:18 AM

work in progress:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV1seLx-SOY

it's a silent movie so far (showing the medallion, checking the balance using two different web services)
I'm going to peel off the hologram sticker and import it in wallet next. the most difficult part was to finally start doing the video after I got the script.

btw I recommend not to wear the bitcoins in physical wallet, mine got some damage from other coins while wearing it with me. the video was shot a week ago, when I received it, now it has scratches, hope the secret will be readable Smiley

your ad here:
CoinSpeculator

Activity: 420

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 09:06:28 AM

I'll make the video right now if you'd like.  Is there some way to guarantee you will pay?
mila

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 05:00:53 AM
Last edit: January 17, 2012, 05:17:20 AM by mila

hi all (especially the sponsors)

the video is online for your evaluation. I panicked a bit and am not overall happy with the result but here it is for your review and accepting comments. I got distracted while playing with the redeeming part (lot of time passed since the first video was published). I spent some time but do not show in the video how I used pywallet script with a browser and https://blockchain.info/wallet but that might be a good material for sequels. I added the redeem only via mtgox as requested. In the first part I show two different block exploring sites checking the first bits of the bitcoin and that they show the same balance.

If you want I can retry and speak over the video once more and include your comments. Otherwise PM me for contact details.
It was my first video ever. I thought editing would be easier and / or I will use nice effects but now I'm happy it's finally done. Raw but hopefully useful. Again, I welcome 'constructive' feedback and could rework parts of the clip if needed. Just let me know which part is not clear or needs improvement.

video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA4eetGvQXE

your ad here:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 »
  Print  

Jump to: